Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
[ARC] Antagonist Race Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

[ARC] Antagonist Race

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

[ARC] Antagonist Race Empty
PostSubject: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 5:03 pm

I think something that would really add to gameplay would be a deadly race with immense power and huge amounts of space under control. Comparable to the borg from star trek, the empire from star wars, the daleks from dr.who and the list goes on. This race would not be evil per se, perhaps just solely concerned with its own survival and not interested in the survival of other races. The purpose of such a race would be for extra fun and to provide something even very skilled players will find very challenging to fight. Perhaps a very mysterious race which players can come together and try to understand as a group. Of course, the sole purpose of the game would not be defeating this species like many people may expect, the oppurtunity would simply be there. I understand most species will be randomly generated and that the purpose of space stage is diplomacy with aliens and exploration and such, but I think it would add some fun to the game for players who may over time grow bored of that. Where do we stand on this?
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 10:02 pm

If Thrive will play like how it is being predicted to play, races will evolve on their own, which will make it so enemies will eventually pop up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:01 pm

I understand this, but I mean, one preset antagonist race won't hurt and that whole randomly generated races, it's great and all but a lot of people including myself don't want to spend the rest of gameplay on that save just with alien diplomacy, exploration, and all that jazz. Imho, it would get boring, not fast, but it certainly would eventually.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 am

Right, but, and I hate to use this example, but if you look at Spore there at 5 or 6 alien races in your galaxy arm who are are bigger than you that can even start off hostile, and then there are the Grox.

A good solution would be to have it so space faring civilizations can become space faring before, after, and during you rise to power. If you look at the Mass Effect series, a lot of the races are mentioned to begin colonizing worlds while humans are still in the dark ages. The same should happen with Thrive, and if there is going to be any time of alignment system, will make it so hostile races who are just aggressive to everyone will occur.

As for a preset, I disagree. I love when a game changes each time you play it. So why should the dominant race in your sector be forced to be a war mongering species? Why not make it so that the big bad is an economic superpower who forces less powerful races into slavery, or a benevolent races who's empire spread so far across that the only way to expand is through trade or war?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 7:33 am

I'm not saying I don't like that kind of game, I'm saying I wouldn't want to spend the rest of gameplay essentially doing the same thing. Space stage will be fun, but I think I would enjoy one final challenge before I decide to start with ascension. Again, I never said it would be the ultimate goal of the game, I only said the option would be there. Some kind of race that's existed, like you said, longer than the players race, but this one might be the oldest in the galaxy. I just don't think it would hurt to add one.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 9:48 am

Although I think thats an interesting idea, I have to agree with PTFace. One of the beauties of this game is how each time your rivals evolve differently, and I don't think that this pattern should be broken with the inclusion of any presets. Based off of the auto-evo system, there will be several races that are well ahead of you once you reach the space stage. Of these races, at least one is bound to have been aggressive enough or powerful enough to forge themselves an empire before you reach space. ultimately, what im trying to say is that the auto-evo system itself is already able to produce such races (although its not guaranteed for each game).

Also, the idea of a preset super race reminds me of the Grox, which in turn reminds me of Spore, which in turn brings back bad memories.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 9:52 am

well, as long as incredibly challenging races like what I described appear, I suppose it's fine.
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 11:17 am

I'm sure that you'll find more than enough species that you can war with, which many would be equal in strength to your species or even stronger. To help you from becoming bored of the space stage.

Last edited by jmc-24 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Cool Idea, but i'm definitely with PT on this. Not necessary.
Back to top Go down
pentomid
Newcomer
pentomid

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 10:32 pm

An idea that may satisfy.

Maybe space fairing societies every once and awhile have advanced AIs that go rouge. These AIs are so advanced that they develop a god complex of sorts and decide to ditch your pathetic meat bags and create their own empire. While small at first they would produce infrastructure and units much faster, and would have to be subdued before growing larger than the biological races. Essentially the future world from Terminator.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [ARC] Antagonist Race   [ARC] Antagonist Race Empty

Back to top Go down

[ARC] Antagonist Race
Page 1 of 1