Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Building Microbe Stage

Go down 
+24
penumbra espinosa
Dalroc
PortalFan1000
FalmerbloodElixir
Tarpy
WilliamstheJohn
Thriving Cheese
Oliveriver
DesertBeagle
hypoxanthine
untrustedlife
Atrox
WJacobC
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Seregon
Nimbal
Bed_Invader
Tritium
TropicalMammoth
The Uteen
~sciocont
PTFace
Daniferrito
NickTheNick
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Ok, i finally got around to it and readed through all of the microbe stage specification. I mostly agree with it. I would rename a few things, but that's not too important. However, there is a thing that i want to note: Saving.

One of the many benefits of having an entity-system based engine is that all data is stored inside the entities, in the shape of components. That means that if we just save all the entities, including their components, we should be able to regenerate the whole world in the exact same state as it was before by just loading that entity list and restarting the systems.

That makes it much better in two aspects:
One: We dont have to look for the specific entities that are storing the data we are interested in (the player's microbe's shape and its compounds)
Two, and most important: No matter what we do, we wont need another save system again. If we keep storing all the data into entities (which we should anyway), storing all the entities will mean storing everything important in the game. Even if we are in strategy mode and what we are storing are cities and tecnological objects.

On top of that, it avoid a few other problems, like an exploit. Whenever the player is in danger, it could just save, load again and it would be placed in a brand new environement.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 2:10 am

Eventually, I'd like to save the game state like you describe, but it's not as trivial as you might think (which is why I went for a simplified version). The most important hurdle is that we currently put Lua callbacks into some of the components. These callbacks are not serializable, so we'll need to introduce hooks for the scripts so that they can set the proper callbacks after everything else is loaded.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 2:43 am

Yes, those callbacks are not convenient. There are slo a few other things we will need to store separatedlly:

-Which systems are running: For strategy mode, we wont need any evolution-related system, for example. That could be avoided if we just removed all components that the evolution system needs. The first option is the best in my opinion, for a bunch of reasons.

-Things stored directly inside the engines: For example, the btDiscreteDynamicsWorld stored inside the bullet engine. That object stores the world's gravity, for example, but it is not contained inside any entity. If we just restarted the bullet engine, gravity would set back to (0,0,0). This isn't needed anywhere yet, but it might be something we need to acount for.

There is something we could do for lua: Convert everything into callbacks. Normal callbacks just remain the same, and all the code that is outside of a callback will need to be called on a special even called newWorldCreation or something similar. That way, we can run all the scripts when loading a game, and if we are starting a new game, call newWorldCreation so all the cells, cameras, viewports... are created correctly. If we are loading, we will have all of those alredy created and we wont run newWordCreation. Whenever any of the other events happen, like a keypress, the apropiate callbacks will be called, as we DID load all of the lua scripts.

The only downside is that whenever you want to define a callback on an entity, or use/modify a variable in a callback, you will need to find it first (like player = findEntity("player") as the variable player wont necesarly point to the right entity, as that part of code was never runned.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 8:49 am

I've just transcribed the specification over to the wiki. There might be some formatting errors I didn't catch. If you find some, please point them out (or fix them yourself, if you can).

Also, where do we stand on the naming of toxins / enzymes / watchamacallit? Scio, any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 10:53 am

After reading through the specification, the previous few pages of this thread and watching Thriving Cheese's video on the Heat-Eater animation, I decided I'd make a video concept for the microbe editor. It's mostly based on Nimbal's concept, but I've added in a few parts similar to the prototype made by FunnyGames (such as the membrane editing, which I've changed slightly to allow more freedom than simply placing hexagons but far less than being able to place nodes anywhere). The UI I designed just for the purpose of the concept video, although if it's good enough we could work on it further to get a final UI design. This is just an animation, though, so I have no idea how easy it would be to program.

THIS IS NOT PLAYABLE. IT'S AN ANIMATION. I wish to stress that. It also looks best if viewed full screen, which videos embedded on the forum don't allow, so it's best to watch it on Youtube itself.

Open spoiler for a detailed breakdown. All are written as if it was playable.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:16 am

Oliveriver wrote:
After reading through the specification, the previous few pages of this thread and watching Thriving Cheese's video on the Heat-Eater animation, I decided I'd make a video concept for the microbe editor. It's mostly based on Nimbal's concept, but I've added in a few parts similar to the prototype made by FunnyGames (such as the membrane editing, which I've changed slightly to allow more freedom than simply placing hexagons but far less than being able to place nodes anywhere). The UI I designed just for the purpose of the concept video, although if it's good enough we could work on it further to get a final UI design. This is just an animation, though, so I have no idea how easy it would be to program.

THIS IS NOT PLAYABLE. IT'S AN ANIMATION. I wish to stress that. It also looks best if viewed full screen, which videos embedded on the forum don't allow, so it's best to watch it on Youtube itself.

Open spoiler for a detailed breakdown. All are written as if it was playable.

Spoiler:
That looks really awesome, and cool GUI Oliver!
Would be awesome with that GUI in the game
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:23 am

Looks amazing oliver, good job, it is so real looking (as in it looks like a game) And great idea to conceptualize it in an animation.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:33 am

Wow! Thanks, Oliver, that looks awesome.

Just a few notes:

• There are no external organelles in the specification anymore, they have been replaced by functional edges (makes organelles like the one for engulfing a little easier).
  • I like the symmetry feature. If I'm not mistaken, the hex grid should allow us to easily support 4-way and 6-way symmetry, in addition to the 2-way seen in your video.
  • I'm not sure about the pivot points. They enable a whole-microbe "wriggling" motion, but if they use ATP, they should give more than a cosmetic benefit. And I don't see them being used for motion, as that would be very hard to control.
  • Similar for the membrane. It's relatively easy to generate a smooth "hull" around the hex shape (at least if the algorithm I figured out doesn't produce garbage), so allowing manual manipulation would only add cosmetic benefit at the cost of implementation time.
  • And finally, the decoration. From a gameplay perspective, I'd really like the player to be able to look at the organelles of other cells to estimate their abilities and value, so an opaque texture over the whole microbe would obviously pose a problem.

*Looks back over the list*

Ugh. Sounds so negative despite my delight at this glimpse into the future. Really, great work!
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 12:46 pm

I never intended it to be a completely accurate representation, so in some ways I'm actually surprised the list of corrections is so short!

I agree with you on the external organelles - adding them as functional edges sounds much better. 4-and-6-way symmetry would certainly be possible but I didn't realise that. As for the other points, some players may prefer to have more options on membranes and decorations, and the pivot point idea I based on the original cell editor idea image on the ModDB page, but it may be that they're not needed.

EDIT: Just to show the versatility of all the systems working together, here's another cell I created with it - the one from the ModDB page (note the pivot point and kernel in the same hexagon):

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 4:58 pm

How did you do that? What program are you using for the animation?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Amazing work Oliver! But could I make some suggestions to minimize the UI?

I think it would be better if you reduced the size of the bars on the left side of the screen. Maybe make them even smaller, and have them enlarge when hovered over. Keep the mutation points bar in the bottom left corner, and keep it the same size regardless of whether the mouse is over it.

Also, maybe this is just my OCD, but I think it would be better if the left side of the shape containing speed, ATP, compounds, etc. was a straight edge.

Other then that though, this is great work!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:19 pm

I think this looks great: the only qualm of mine that I haven't seen listed yet is that the UI is overall much too large, it's taking up about 2/3 of the screen, and I'd rather it take up only 1/3 or 1/4 of the screenspace. Also, some transparency would be great. Awesome work.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 3:23 am

@Untrustedlife
I'm using a program called Xara Designer (the same program I used to make the website). It's mainly used for graphic design, as its name suggests, but it can also create HTML files and animations.

@~sciocont and NickTheNick
I wasn't sure about the size of the UI. I know you wanted it to be as minimal as possible, but in the end I decided to make the UI just for the purposes of the concept and not worry too much about its eventual size.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 5:32 am

It looks great!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
@Untrustedlife
@~sciocont and NickTheNick
I wasn't sure about the size of the UI. I know you wanted it to be as minimal as possible, but in the end I decided to make the UI just for the purposes of the concept and not worry too much about its eventual size.
That's what I figured.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 11:49 pm

Okay, first of all I want to applaud everyone on all the great work that's been done.
However, it seems the discussion here has dwindled recently. Nick has asked me to help organize the progress here and rekindle the discussions that have brought us so much progress recently.

So, first of all I want to commend Xazo-Tak for his initiative in organization. Also Oliver and Thriving Cheese for their efforts in making thing neat and organized. I can't stress this enough but we need as much of this as possible. The more organized the content, the easier the programmers can find it.

That being said, we also need more content! Cheese has done excellent modeling for microbe stage, but we need as much as we can. Cheese, keep up the fantastic work. And to you other artists, anything you can give us is fantastically helpful, especially if you can model 3D cells. Also, any audio is greatly appreciated. We now are too the point where we need sound effects. Bubbles, colliding cells and any other primordial oozy sounds will keep us moving along with microbe stage.

We've gotten so far recently. Let's not let this streak end. We will complete microbe stage.

Keep up the great work everybody.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 2:03 am

Yes! We will complete the microbe stage!
Never forget these three words: Fun, Simplicity, Science!
Keep up on awesome work!
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 2:44 am

WJacobC wrote:
That being said, we also need more content!
Not to curb your enthusiasm, but I would like to caution against blindly creating assets, especially 3D models of microbes. As stated in the specification, all microbes will have a dynamic shape. That means their 3D models will have to be created on the fly.

Graphics and sound are currently under-specified. Before creating content that has a reasonable chance of actually ending up in the game, someone needs to write down a detailed description of how stuff should look, keeping in mind the constraints given by the current specification (hex-grid for microbes, compound clouds, toxin clouds, etc.). Same goes for audio. Someone will have to identify everything that should have a sound and figure out a way to make the important stuff sound important while keeping the "unimportant" sounds interesting.

I can't say when I'll be able to make time for that if nobody else steps up. There's still much to be done on the programming front, not to mention other hobbies I'd like to pursue.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am

WJacobC wrote:
Okay, first of all I want to applaud everyone on all the great work that's been done.
However, it seems the discussion here has dwindled recently. Nick has asked me to help organize the progress here and rekindle the discussions that have brought us so much progress recently.

So, first of all I want to commend Xazo-Tak for his initiative in organization. Also Oliver and Thriving Cheese for their efforts in making thing neat and organized. I can't stress this enough but we need as much of this as possible. The more organized the content, the easier the programmers can find it.

That being said, we also need more content! Cheese has done excellent modeling for microbe stage, but we need as much as we can. Cheese, keep up the fantastic work. And to you other artists, anything you can give us is fantastically helpful, especially if you can model 3D cells. Also, any audio is greatly appreciated. We now are too the point where we need sound effects. Bubbles, colliding cells and any other primordial oozy sounds will keep us moving along with microbe stage.

We've gotten so far recently. Let's not let this streak end. We will complete microbe stage.

Keep up the great work everybody.

Yes, exactly. I've noticed a lack of meaningful/relevant discussions going on over the past few days, whereas only less than a week ago we had plenty of activity on many threads. ~scio and Nick haven't been quite as active as usual over the past few days, and of course Calli and Seregon have said they'll be away for the next few weeks, but that doesn't mean progress has to stop. We've had plenty of new talented members recently, and at the moment it seems (not that I'm trying to be harsh to anybody) that their discussions are the only ones going on.

Just out of curiosity, what time does the summer vacation (and I'm using American lingo there ) start in the US? Hopefully once it starts many members will have more time on their hands to help. I'm currently quite busy, and the summer holidays (what we call them in the UK) don't start here for another six or seven weeks, so I'm afraid I won't be able to help very much (I only made the microbe editor concept because I was bored during the half term holidays/vacation and thought it might be something worthwhile to do, but now that I'm back at school I won't be able to help so much).

I'll help with collecting sounds, and if anyone else wants to they can post them in the Music List Thread.

EDIT: 100 posts!

ANOTHER EDIT: On an unrelated note, does anyone know what's happened to the podcast?
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:31 am

@Oliver, summer vacation has started for me and scio I know for sure. Nick said he's still got about two weeks left. Are you already back in school? That's strange.
I know nothing about the podcast. I've tried contacting scio over Skype and haven't heard a thing.

@Nimbal all of what you said is true. I'm not sure I can do all that specification. My summer is actually pretty full, and I'm not the most knowledgeable on the current specification. If someone could do that it would massively speed up production.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Well, back at school after a half term holiday/vacation in the middle of the school term. The UK summer holidays/vacation start/s in about six weeks and go/es on for six weeks. Sometimes I envy US students - you have a much longer holiday/vacation.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Compound Visuals   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 5:22 pm

OK, It's time to discuss the visuals of compounds. This is going to involve both our programmers and our artists, because we not only need to let the player know what's what, we need to handle what would be >billions of particles in a simple way. The actual movement and behavior of compound entities needs to be properly defined.

Here are the options that I can think of of handling compounds.

Spoiler:

Unless someone has a better Idea, I'm going to assume the Density Cloud system will be used: in previous discussions, I believe Nimbal or Dani have alluded to a system like that described. If you have another system in mind, feel free to post it.
Now, about that clever visual system.

I'd propose we still handle the visuals of the compounds with sprites, but the sprites in question will exist within the microcosm of the compound cloud. Let me explain.

The compound cloud is essentially a bitmap that is scaled and faded (lowered in opacity) as it disperses. We can use the alpha values of the cloud to render sprites at random positions within the cloud, then change the sprites' opacity to match (or scale with) the opacity at their position. That way, we get visual representation via shape and color without having to handle all of the sprites individually in terms of the physics. To illustrate that the sprites rendered within the cloud are not individual items, they can "twinkle" byt fading from an alpha of 0 to the max alpha at their position, then disappearing, with a new sprite being rendered somewhere else in the cloud.

Spoiler:

Last edited by ~sciocont on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 5:54 pm

I too vote for density cloud system as well. This system will work very well. A few examples I came up with:
-When a cell dies all compounds inside it would spill out in a high gradient.
-As you evolve, you could mutate organelles that acted as sensors, so that when you entered a cloud a visual representation would begin to show. This could be upgraded to show other toxins that cells have excreted, etc.
-You could couple this with toxins that you have evolved to show other cells where food is, or to trick other species into a deadly toxin.

This system excites me. I'm not sure about visual system. I thought just an alpha map with a more intense gradient as the compound grows more sense. Great idea, ~scio.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Bumping to draw attention to the proposed visuals.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:54 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I'd propose we still handle the visuals of the compounds with sprites, but the sprites in question will exist within the microcosm of the compound cloud. Let me explain.

The compound cloud is essentially a bitmap that is scaled and faded (lowered in opacity) as it disperses. We can use the alpha values of the cloud to render sprites at random positions within the cloud, then change the sprites' opacity to match (or scale with) the opacity at their position. That way, we get visual representation via shape and color without having to handle all of the sprites individually in terms of the physics. To illustrate that the sprites rendered within the cloud are not individual items, they can "twinkle" byt fading from an alpha of 0 to the max alpha at their position, then disappearing, with a new sprite being rendered somewhere else in the cloud.

Spoiler:

I much prefer the cloud idea as well. Plus, the manner of using sprites for the graphic would be very effective too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Building Microbe Stage
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next