Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe Models/Images/Textures

Go down 
+28
Nimbal
Tritium
Naevius
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
EnergyKnife
Oliveriver
NikolaAnicic007
Xazo-Tak
MeowMan1
JackOfSpades
Theusfilipe
silkroadgame
FunnyGames
untrustedlife
RodGame
WilliamstheJohn
ICEF1SCH
tentacleface762
GravityGames
Raptorstorm
Tré Wisemen
Exrudius
P3DR0PS
The Uteen
Daniferrito
Thriving Cheese
~sciocont
NickTheNick
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Seregon
Regular

Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Ok, so that got some mixed reactions.  I personally don't like the idea of organelle placement becoming a game of tetris - what you do with you cell should be limited by available mutations more than physical constraints - so i see no reason for an organelle not to snake through a cell.  It may or may not be realistic, but it would look rather interesting.

I can see some of the implementation issues, but they seem fairly easy to solve to me.  In terms of the algorithm, a vacuole or golgi would be formed exactly the same way as the overall cell, by stretching a membrane around the adjacent hexes.  The ER would need some sort of folded texture over that though.  Placement could be as simple as having the organelle by 1 hex big, and automatically connecting adjacent hexes.  Disconnected organelles would simply be treated seperately.  For the purpose of processes/compounds etc. we can also simply treat a 3 hex vacuole as three seperate 1 hex vacuoles.

All that said, I see that this would add some work to the implementation, for something which is really just an aesthetic improvement, and I can certainly understand that would be far from a priority right now, and may not be worth doing at all for the first few builds.  I'd suggest we shelve it for now, and come back to it once we have a first release done, and have some free time to tweak this sort of stuff.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Ok, This is the (hopfefuully) final silhouettes mockup. I'll begin on the actual sprites once you approve of this. The red crosses are rotation anchors- I assumed that it would be easiest to rotate them around the center of one hex than at the corners/ on edges I'll attempt to make the sprites quite large, then we can scale them down to whatever we need.
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Cellsp12
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:09 am

They all look good, and it is nice to get a visual representation of the different organelles to be found in game. Will Thermoplasts and other organelles be included in a later release?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 am

NickTheNick wrote:
They all look good, and it is nice to get a visual representation of the different organelles to be found in game. Will Thermoplasts and other organelles be included in a later release?
Yes, different organelles will be added as we figure out how we want to run them ingame. the nice thing about the toxin agent organelle is now we can handle a lot of potential organelles as one.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 6:18 pm

New GUI design. Much easier to implement and, I think, much prettier than my last.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I've squared up all of the buttons, taken out the size ring, added a symmetry options button (bottom center) and rearranged a few things.
Tell me what's good and what's wrong.

Last edited by ~sciocont on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
P3DR0PS
Newcomer
P3DR0PS

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 6:27 pm

~sciocont wrote:
New GUI design. Much easier to implement and, I think, much prettier than my last.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I've squared up all of the buttons, taken out the size ring, added a symmetry options button (bottom center) and rearranged a few things.
Tell me what's good and what's wrong.
i liked it. its simpler than the other, and i think its better...:)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 3:56 am

Yes, I think it looks amazing now. I especially like the icons for the stats. Really, the last point I would have to offer, and it is quite trivial, is to switch the MP bar with the Finish and Revert buttons, with the Finish button being on the opposite end of the red X. Its just that usually in GUIs the accept/start/complete button is opposite the big x/delete/end button.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 5:08 am

I agree, it looks great!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:06 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Yes, I think it looks amazing now. I especially like the icons for the stats. Really, the last point I would have to offer, and it is quite trivial, is to switch the MP bar with the Finish and Revert buttons, with the Finish button being on the opposite end of the red X. Its just that usually in GUIs the accept/start/complete button is opposite the big x/delete/end button.
I can do that quite easily.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Ok, I want the artists out there to look again at the models and textures we have and see what can be improved. A microbe stage animation is in the works, and a release should be coming within a year. We need a uniform visual style. As Myself, Nimbal, and Nick have said, this should be a style of realism, and it should look to some extent as if it were being viewed through a microscope. Here's a quote from another page with texture details:
sciocont wrote:
Nimbal wrote:
I'm not sure if that's what scio means, but I'd like to see a style that imitates looking through a microscope, but with a bit more color where appropriate. There are some YouTube videos that could serve as a reference, for example this one, this one or this one.

I think the defining qualities of this style are:

• Translucency of the microbes
  • Clearly visible edges that hint at the three-dimensional, round form of the cells
  • Stuff floating around in the background, out of focus
  • Jerky camera movement as if moving around a slide on the microscope's tray

Those aren't a question of highly detailed models or textures alone, after all, how much surface structure do you really see in those videos I linked above? Achieving this style will probably require some hand-crafted shaders.
This is all good. I'd like to see microscope-like images, though with a bit less transparency and more color than in the youtube videos, since we won't always have a light background to see them against.
In terms of textures, I'd like to see

• Pseudo-randomness: Textures should look like they have a definite order or set of rules, but also should look organic. For this, I recommend checking out Perlin Noise, Voronoi textures (which were the inspiration for the "shatter" graphic art style), and real animal and plant textures for inspiration.

• Uniform sharpness: Texture should either contain bold, sharp edges, medium-sharpness edges, or soft edges. Don't mix edge types, and always try the sharp edges first, then blur them to the desired degree. If you look in a microscope, you'll see many different levels of focus, but our textures each apply to a single object, which will be either entirely in or entirely out of focus.
  • Light, desaturated colors: Microbes usually have colors like this because they are small and mostly transparent, so there isn't much pigment in them to build up and create dark colors. When choosing colors for textures, keep this in mind.

Look at this color wheel:
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Hexagon_800
The colors I think of are colors like  ████CCFF99C, ████FF9933, ████CC3333, ████6699CC, ████99CC99, ████99FF66, ████FF6633. I want to avoid purples, pinks, and yellows, since these are colors one generally doesn't see in the microbe world. Focus on blues, greens, and  pale oranges.

As for models, make cells look natural- give them some taper, some flash, some intrigue. Make any other models look very close to what they look like in real life.
Keep in mind that your textures may need to be recolored to support many different color schemes, so it's best to make them in grayscale and test them out with a few of the aforementioned colors.
Back to top Go down
MrIdeaMan
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Wriggl10
Here is my Wriggler, if you like it. :3
Back to top Go down
Ymedron
Newcomer
Ymedron

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Well, I'm not sure if this is correct to do or not, but I tried at creating a sprite/texture for the bacteria film. I wasn't quite sure what kind of bacteria you were thinking of, so I tried to make something that wouldn't look too distracting.
bacteria film:
Also sorry I'm not sure what "download link" would be- perhaps I should create a dropbox account or something? D:

Sorry if I misunderstood and if I need to make an application or something. Didn't see any guidelines on the faq, I think...
Back to top Go down
http://ymedron.tumblr.com
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 6:25 pm

For a download link, you just upload it to a file sharing/hosting website, like Rapidshare, Dropbox, or Mediafire, and then paste the download link here.
Back to top Go down
Ymedron
Newcomer
Ymedron

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 2:14 am

(dropbox)/s/2xdro9v0j0lwjwz/bacteria%20film.png

I hope that works out. D: Sorry for spamming.
Can't post external links since I'm a new member, it seems.
Back to top Go down
http://ymedron.tumblr.com
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 2:09 pm

CELL STAGE COMPOUND SPRITES
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe Models/Images/Textures
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6