Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+102
cyborghyena
The Creator
Halowraith1
Narstak
molden
amymist
NarotizaSquared
Aquos4
Gyrukilo
JackTheBlackWolf
Mazzy_M
Xazo-Tak
Epickitty
Rorsten594
pensist
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
jewelofleo
Falthron
Psych0Ch3f
Quasar
Armok: God of Blood
King Plorpadeus Ex
Lightning_Scarz
SuperLala
LegoHoss
Gecko
Tanglekat33
EnergyKnife
HariboTer
the froggy ninja
crovea
Linker90X
EVanimations
Evol4fire
TriggzSP
ByterranEmpire
Totemaster
Exploronaut
Jeklig
NuklearSerpent
masternetra
spacetime_dinosaur
Y. Guillemot
ThePoisonchocolate
leila777
ccarriel
Invader
ThreeCubed
meldebious
PropTheRedstoner
Glow Cloud
Seregon
Mouthwash
Captain Mcderp
IAMBEOWULF
Atrox
Doggit
Dalroc
SchrodingersKitty
alonerhapsody
Cellular Dinosaur
Silver Sterling
Spacer
Synpho Death
Raptorstorm
Zeyrock
Orygandian2
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
TheChubbyChihuahua
Shamanic W0lf
PortalFan1000
NikolaAnicic007
PerfectOrganismil
Inca
MitochondriaBox
DeanDactyl
Moterhead97
TheSmart_1
Oliveriver
ethroptur
Narnobie123
dinoman9877
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Jimexmore
WJacobC
Mixotroph
Madnesia19
Omnomnomable
Tritium
Daniferrito
~sciocont
Immortal_Dragon
untrustedlife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
Tarpy
M3rox
NickTheNick
WilliamstheJohn
106 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
penumbra espinosa
Learner

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 2:20 pm

i dunno if this has been asked before, but i was looking at the video of Species, and i thought, do we have planned something regarding fossils and archeology?

i mean, once you evolve you can see the evolutionary lines of the fossil record or see some fossils generated in the landscape when you're playing as a creature?, same regarding archeology, what if there was a civilization while i was evolving? would their ruins appear in the planet when i went out to the surface?
Back to top Go down
TheFellowWithTheHat
Newcomer
TheFellowWithTheHat

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 pm

penumbra espinosa wrote:
i dunno if this has been asked before, but i was looking at the video of Species, and i thought, do we have planned something regarding fossils and archeology?

i mean, once you evolve you can see the evolutionary lines of the fossil record or see some fossils generated in the landscape when you're playing as a creature?, same regarding archeology, what if there was a civilization while i was evolving? would their ruins appear in the planet when i went out to the surface?

What an odd coincidence! I had a very similar idea! Similar to Sid Meier's Civilization, you could send some sort of Squad around your planet to search for perhaps, ancient Battlegrounds from when you were in the "Tribal" and "Medieval" stages? And perhaps even fossils from the other types of creatures you've encountered? Perhaps even designing Paleontology crews to specially dig up these artifacts and place them in museums, as well. This game is worthy of so many ideas, they were right when they said it'll never be completely finished.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 7:36 pm

To build off of my previous post, how is the game going to determine between one-handed and two-handed (or even more-handed :shock: ) weapons. I'm running on the assumption of the weapon's size and weight when it's in the TE, if someone can clear that up that would be great.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 8:11 pm

@Oliver

Keep that bookmarked. We'll need it soon with the release of Microbe Stage.

@penumbra

Yes and yes.

@Immortal_Dragon

I was actually just thinking about this the other night. At first I thought of just keeping all weapons one handed for simplicity, but then I came up with another idea.

All melee weapons must have a handle. Ranged weapons have presets, so there cannot be anything dynamic there. Bows are preset to take two hands, throwing weapons two hands, crossbows two hands, etc. Guns must have a stock and sometimes a grip as well.

That means that where a unit holds a melee weapon is user defined, where a unit holds early ranged weapons is predefined, and where a unit holds a gun is again user defined. But none of this yet answers your question. This is just the context to keep it mind. I'm going to try and find the notes I wrote up on the precise relationship and edit them in here.
Back to top Go down
TheFellowWithTheHat
Newcomer
TheFellowWithTheHat

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:49 am

What if the player's creature has an odd hand design? Such as four fingers that could not fit in a typical grip? If they wanted to make a sort of side-mounted grip instead of the typical grips that you see in modern weapons, and make it more alien, would that be possible? I know that you good chaps are no where near this stage, but I figured it'd be a good question.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:47 am

The direction of the handle doesn't change whether it is a handle or not. Also, if a body part does not have the capabilities to grasp, then it won't be classed as a grasper. Only graspers are concerned with.
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Air-craft idea   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:50 am

Would it be an idea to have spikes or a strong ramming surface available for airplanes.
Ofcourse it would need to be a very strong airplane, but it would add a little extra customization on the air-vehicles.
Just say it if it is a stupid idea.

Greetings Siebren.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 11:00 am

The problem with that if planes ram each other then they're just gonna explode. Perhaps in space stage though, when the ships are huge they could ram each other, like in warhammer 40k.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
TheFellowWithTheHat
Newcomer
TheFellowWithTheHat

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:10 pm

[quote="NickTheNick"]Only graspers are concerned with.[/quote]

[i]So there wont be just normal "Hand pieces" like from SPORE? The player must build their own grasper on the tip of a creature's wrist area? That's rather new, I applaud you people. :cheers: [/i]
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Belly puncture :D   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Inca wrote:
The problem with that if planes ram each other then they're just gonna explode. Perhaps in space stage though, when the ships are huge they could ram each other, like in warhammer 40k.

Let me explain, I don't mean head on.
But what I mean is: a plane with a spike(top) flies under an enemy plane, then the plane with the spike rises.
And thus leaving a hole in the belly of the enemy, on high attitudes this can be fatal.
And the plating is just prevention.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don 't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 2:32 pm

@Inca

A similar thing to ramming could be applied to naval fleets as well, look at the Roman triremes, they had rams on their bows used to split ships in half!

@Siebren

Why does that make me think of the blades on Sinbad's ship from that Disney movie?

@TheFellowWithTheHat

For further information on constructing organisms, look here if you haven't already.
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Just an idea D:   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 2:42 pm

I kinda got the idea because I saw things I shouldn't have seen. (No Belgiuming and stuff)
I kinda looked at my dads desk. >_>
This means DON'T TELL THE IDEA TO ANY1!
I guess it was kinda secret. XDDDD
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Just saying it made me think of something I think is similar, both end up with the two vehicles attached to each other, and only the instigator can separate on their own.

Besides, this thread is for ideas and questions on making the game better.

Last edited by Immortal_Dragon on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Nope   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:48 pm

No it isn't, I'm gonna draw some examples.
However, can't upload them till tomorow. D:
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Moving on but not forgetting; building off of national unification, one thing that comes to my mind is this is bound to happen between two nations that are different species, how is the game going to handle this?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Only one species wins. If it's two AIs, then one is randomly chosen. If it's AI and player, the player always comes out on top. By win I mean their species becomes the united nation's species.
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 4:37 am

So we are gonna have boarding parties, and the the space gameplay will being in 3D like homeworld right?
I wish i could help my drawing is horrible and my coding skill..what coding skill.
Help me
Back to top Go down
TheFellowWithTheHat
Newcomer
TheFellowWithTheHat

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:05 am

Jimexmore wrote:
So we are gonna have boarding parties, and the the space gameplay will being in 3D like homeworld right?

If they send boarding parties, perhaps it could be possible to explore the inside of the ship? That would be incredible, and ship destruction would be much more satisfying seeing Cargo boxes be sucked into the vacuum of space.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Ok, I could see spikes working. Even if it in practice it wouldn't work, I think we can use some artistic licence here as it would make for some fun aerial combat.

Rams sound good then.

@Nick, so the the lesser party all just disappear or turn into your specie? I thought you said a while ago that it was possible to have two species under one nation?

Space Boarding is something I would love to see. But I would imagine that this wouldn't come in the first edition of space stage and rather in a patch later on. I think there is enough for us to work on in the space stage without boarding.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 3:22 pm

I don't remember saying that they could merge before, but if I did, I was terribly wrong, because it would require a Belgium ton of work to implement two species in one nation. The best thing we can do is just two different nations of two different species with very close relations, alliances, and cooperation.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 3:56 pm

It was when I asked about two nations forming one space faring nation. Like one nation to the outside, but two on the inside, by sharing information and resources?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by outside and inside, but to put it in a nutshell, nations that unify will have one species. To have interspecies cooperation, stay as separate nations but use alliances and research trading etc. to work as a team.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Ok that more or less clears it up. I don't really know what I'm asking here anyway.
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 5:21 pm

TheFellowWithTheHat wrote:
Jimexmore wrote:

If they send boarding parties, perhaps it could be possible to explore the inside of the ship? That would be incredible, and ship destruction would be much more satisfying seeing Cargo boxes be sucked into the vacuum of space.
exactly what I said awhile back but someone said it was a "Fantasy"
Huehue. like in dead space fight ailens like the first level of halo.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 7:49 pm

The Total War series achieved boarding with naval battles, the soldiers were simply sent onto the deck of the ships and fought on the top deck, if they went inside you didn't see them, out of sight out of mind. With Shogun 2, it was a numbers game between the two ships in crew, and you didn't see the entire crew at once, soldiers came forth from the depths of the ship to leap onto the target ship.

I know the topic was space stage boarding, but I thought naval boarding was a little relevant, and it could be simpler in space stage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 9 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next