Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+64
moopli
ElementalRed
untrustedlife
Fangchamp
Kirillian
tjwhale
Patrick Rajesh
NickTheNick
MirrorMonkey2
Oliveriver
Lepticidio
MitochondriaBox
StealthStyle L
Zymoox
AwesomeSiebren
crovea
Psych0Ch3f
spacetime_dinosaur
RyuNeko932000
Daniferrito
Earthium Prime
HariboTer
Loony Toony
The Creator
K2017
Namor-Yrotciv
0eragonbioly0
Tidus Klein
anna0cat
Captain Mcderp
Atrox
PTFace
T0N12
Madero
DeanDactyl
Noltras
Tré Wisemen
ethroptur
Alexthe666
sporewow
giffman8
TheRabiesGuineaPig
ccarriel
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Tarpy
SawerGreem
Seregon
jman12351
Notsae66
Tritium
Scottnov
Inca
PropTheRedstoner
Marija Milosevic
amymist
Alex J G
dinoman9877
Armok: God of Blood
Pantheon_Gamer
tjblazer85
Diamond Pixel
Immortal_Dragon
darwin.the.gamer
Jupiter34
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Bear in mind that these stages are dynamic and there will be no cutscenes etc. They exist to help development. The mulitcellular stage begins when your cell bonds to another. Then they add more and more, become specialized and then when your creature reaches a certain level of intelligence you enter the aware stage.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 5:12 pm

Speaking of which, how will intelligence be handled?
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 1:07 am

Atrox wrote:
With difficulty.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 10:20 am

moopli wrote:
Atrox wrote:
With difficulty.

So there is no foundation for how our creature will gain intelligence?
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 am

More or less, we haven't nailed anything concrete down yet. There's a vague concept from a few years ago I think, in which intelligence is gained by "interaction", but of course there are many definitions for interaction and I don't think we've really talked about it since. If you wanna start a discussion about it though, go ahead.
Back to top Go down
ElementalRed
Newcomer
ElementalRed

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 4:06 pm

I have a question about Society Stage: let's say your at war with another nation, which is far away from yours. When you send your troops to attack it, they might get tired during the journey, so could they set up a camp?
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Would that be a form of Military Center?
Back to top Go down
ElementalRed
Newcomer
ElementalRed

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 2:37 pm

StealthStyle L wrote:
Would that be a form of Military Center?

A camp is provisional and consists of simple shelters. It will serve the troops to rest in case they will be tired.
A Military Center is something much bigger (like a barrack) and will require good materials to be built and will be made to last.
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 10:32 pm

The download for 0.2.3 (or, I assume, any of the downloads) appears to be down. I imagine this will resolve with time but you should take a look. One of my friends who knows some coding would like to take a look.
Back to top Go down
0eragonbioly0
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 8:25 am

the download seems to go down occasionally. It happened to me too but I tried later and it was okay.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 pm

The reliability of the download is entirely on the shoulders of the hosts; so your friend with programming knowledge can't really help, I'm afraid. If, though, they want to help out, they'd be a lot more useful reading the code and applying their programming knowledge on the team; if they're interested.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 11:47 am

I've mentioned it before, but the download link often seems to fail for some people because part of the URL is unnecessarily duplicated. This might have something to do with the hyperlink in the release post. For some it repeatedly does this, but others haven't experienced it at all.

For reference, the URL changes from https://mega.co.nz/#!VVYngZLI!Q3imY-eV9kL2W0SIeY2XnhNxDOvdofRbhkrzQqPr1sQ to https://mega.co.nzmega.co.nz/#!VVYngZLI!Q3imY-eV9kL2W0SIeY2XnhNxDOvdofRbhkrzQqPr1sQ .
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 5:00 pm

moopli wrote:
The reliability of the download is entirely on the shoulders of the hosts; so your friend with programming knowledge can't really help, I'm afraid. If, though, they want to help out, they'd be a lot more useful reading the code and applying their programming knowledge on the team; if they're interested.
Actually, he just wanted to try it out to see how the game is in it's current state. He'll likely apply to help sooner or later. However, he does not currently know C++ but since I'm not someone with programming knowledge I'll let him talk about it when he applies.
Back to top Go down
ElementalRed
Newcomer
ElementalRed

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 5:42 am

I've seen that the timescale in Aware Stage will be millions of years, then in Awakening Stage thousands of years, and then it keeps diminishing. But what about Microbes and Multicellular? What is the timescale of those two?
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 4:12 pm

Billions of years probably.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Atrox wrote:
Billions of years probably.

I'd rather have multiple million years be the timescale. Eukaryotes (what the player plays as) only appeared around 2 billion years ago, and took about 1400 million years to go multicellular, so using billions of years as a time scale would be rather awkward.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Good point
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 11:47 am

Will the cell wall be represented by a change in opaqueness/texture of the membrane, or something else?
Back to top Go down
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 5:18 pm

ElementalRed wrote:
I've seen that the timescale in Aware Stage will be millions of years, then in Awakening Stage thousands of years, and then it keeps diminishing. But what about Microbes and Multicellular? What is the timescale of those two?

My suggestion:
Cellular - 10^7 or 10^8 years
Multicellular - 10^7 or 10^8 years
Aware - 10^7 or 10^6 years
Awakening - 10^5 or 10^4 years
Society - 10^3 or 10^2 years
Industrial - 10 years going down to 1 year as tech progresses
Space - Will vary between 1 year down to fractions of a year
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Armok: God of Blood wrote:
ElementalRed wrote:

My suggestion:
Cellular - 10^7 or 10^8 years Basically 10 or 100 million years.
Multicellular - 10^7 or 10^8 years Same as above.
Aware - 10^7 or 10^6 years 1 or 10 million years.
Awakening - 10^5 or 10^4 years 10 or 100 thousand years.
Society - 10^3 or 10^2 years 10 or 1,000 years.
Space - Will vary between 1 year down to fractions of a year[/quote:7I
Back to top Go down
Lepticidio
Newcomer
Lepticidio

Location : I don't really know where I will be when you read this.

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 6:19 am

MitochondriaBox wrote:
Armok: God of Blood wrote:

My suggestion:
Cellular - 10^7 or 10^8 years Basically 10 or 100 million years.
Multicellular - 10^7 or 10^8 years Same as above.
Aware - 10^7 or 10^6 years 1 or 10 million years.
Awakening - 10^5 or 10^4 years 10 or 100 thousand years.
Society - 10^3 or 10^2 years 10 or 1,000 years.
Space - Will vary between 1 year down to fractions of a year

Sounds neat! It sounds a bit weird to have soldiers spend the same amount of real-world time marching at two points of development in the game despite the in-game difference, but the player's Aware Stage creature would spend a couple thousand years walking around anyway. I wonder how seasons would fit into this (if they're worth the trouble)?

I guess that in Aware Stage millions of years pass only when you are in the organism editor. In the actual game, only pass a couple of years or so between editings (perhaps every year with some number of seasons around 4, every season with a number of days around 4? ). Same for Cellular and Multicellular.

Also, Multicellular time scale should be the same or even shorter than Aware. I mean, the human equivalent would be the evolution from our most recent unicellular ancestor ( around 850 million years ago) to, perhaps, the first vertebrate (around 500 million years ago) so it took 350 million years. On the other hand, Aware took us the last 500 million years. So, Multicellular time scale shouldn't be larger than Aware. (Indeed, Cellular should have the largest time scale, as it took almost 2 billion years for us to get to Multicellular).

Although, now that I think of it, we should spend more time playing Aware than Multicellular ( because is funnier), so, if Aware takes three times more real time than Multicellular, each generation should be significantly less time in Aware.
Back to top Go down
ElementalRed
Newcomer
ElementalRed

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 11:41 am

Okay guys, I know this has already been discussed but I need to be sure: how much bytes is Thrive gonna be? And also how many species will there be on planets?
Back to top Go down
DeanDactyl
Newcomer
DeanDactyl

PostSubject: I want dat release! :x   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Sorry for getting off-topic and I don't know if this was discussed before...
But I can't seem to download the new release! I go to the page and it says it's not available...
Can you help me?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
I've mentioned it before, but the download link often seems to fail for some people because part of the URL is unnecessarily duplicated. This might have something to do with the hyperlink in the release post. For some it repeatedly does this, but others haven't experienced it at all.

For reference, the URL changes from mega.co.nz #!VVYngZLI!Q3imY-eV9kL2W0SIeY2XnhNxDOvdofRbhkrzQqPr1sQ to mega.co.nzmega.co.nz #!VVYngZLI!Q3imY-eV9kL2W0SIeY2XnhNxDOvdofRbhkrzQqPr1sQ .

Check that the URL (of the page itself, not the text in the forum post) looks like the first one and not the second. It's working perfectly fine otherwise as far as I can tell.

EDIT: 500 posts!
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
T0N12
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Some post's text is dissapearing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 13 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21 ... 29  Next