Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
I would like to help development. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
I would like to help development. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
I would like to help development. Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
I would like to help development. Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
I would like to help development. Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
I would like to help development. Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
I would like to help development. Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
I would like to help development. Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
I would like to help development. Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
I would like to help development. Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
I would like to help development. Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
I would like to help development. Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
I would like to help development. Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
I would like to help development. Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
I would like to help development. Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
I would like to help development. Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
I would like to help development. Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
I would like to help development. Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
I would like to help development. Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
I would like to help development. Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

I would like to help development.

Go down 
+3
AwesomeSiebren
Thriving Cheese
RothX
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RothX

I would like to help development. Empty
PostSubject: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 8:37 am

Hey! I saw this game and it looked ridiculously awesome. Seeing that it was such a big project so far from being done I felt the need to help. I am pretty young, however I still know quite a bit of programming because I have been coding since I was 10. I am mostly experienced in Java, but just as long as the game is programmed in an Object Oriented language I should be able to help, as the concepts are the same, just I little bit different syntax. I would like to know what language the game is being programmed in. I also have experience in music composition if you need any help with game soundtracks. I have my own synthesizer that I can use quite well. I have decent experience in math and science, but I am really quick to absorb new information about it, so I can learn anything I need to know very fast in those subjects. I know you said you said you have enough ideas for the game, but I always though game ideas were a specialty of mine, so who knows? Maybe I'll think of something completely knew for you! Because of all of these things, I think I would be able to help with development of this awesome game.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 9:18 am

Hi and welcome!
The game's being programmed in C++ (wich is sorta Object Oriented) and also scripted in Lua.
If you wanna compose/know what might be goo to compose you should talk to Oliver, the Music team lead.
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
RothX

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 am

Ok, great! What do I do now? Who should I talk to if I want to at least look at the code? I can do C++, and I'd at least like to look at the code, see what I'm up against. I think I would like to code first before I get into music , so I can get a feel for it.
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 9:54 am

For the code click here.

You can also contact crovea for any code related questions.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Most of the work right now is in Lua, so the fact that good C++ is hard to write won't hold you back from coding immediately. Once you decide to try compiling (or even now as you look at the code), feel free to ask any questions right here. 

But seriously, about game ideas, we've had way too much wind coming out of people's bottoms (some of which I am also to blame for) and way too little implementation of the subset of that wind which has been argued over and refined enough to implement. your speciality will come in handy if you can put your money where your mouth is (but since I haven't been lynched for my bottom-wind yet, I think you'll be safe too if you don't distinguish yourself as mostly an ideas person).

Last edited by moopli on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : inserted caveat)
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 12:23 pm

Welcome!

If you've never had experience with C++ building the project could be a bit daunting, so if you'd prefer to just get started with Lua programming, I can provide you with a working game and you can simply change the scripts from there. If you do want to build the project from the start, I'll be willing to help with any issues you encounter!

You'll also want to learn about git if you haven't already, as it's a very important part of how we develop the game.
Back to top Go down
SolsticeEVE
Newcomer
SolsticeEVE

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Lua was the first programming language I learned
I'm thinking about helping with the designs/ideas
who do I contact?
I searched for a whole morning trying to find this
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks to a kinda-recent reorganization you make yourself an intro thread in this very same subforum. If you're interested in scripting then I'm sure we'll have things for you to do. For coding, crovea and I are the ones to talk to, but I prefer having all the conversations out in the open instead of PM; hence why I suggest you make a new thread for yourself.
Back to top Go down
RothX

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Well, I haven't been here in a while, and that's because I realized that I couldn't really help because I have a mac. If there is any way for me to be able to get this on to a mac, please let me know. Do you know what it is that makes it incompatible, because maybe I could help make it compatible? Or is it a big deal that would require an entire rewrite? I feel like maybe a different language would have been better. Obviously I'm not saying you should change, because that wold be a ton of work, but for future reference, C++ isn't the best Game programming language. (Though it is great for other things.)
Back to top Go down
T0N12
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 4:04 pm

RothX wrote:
Well, I haven't been here in a while, and that's because I realized that I couldn't really help because I have a mac. If there is any way for me to be able to get this on to a mac, please let me know. Do you know what it is that makes it incompatible, because maybe I could help make it compatible? Or is it a big deal that would require an entire rewrite? I feel like maybe a different language would have been better. Obviously I'm not saying you should change, because that wold be a ton of work, but for future reference, C++ isn't the best Game programming language. (Though it is great for other things.)
For a mac version, and correct me if i'm wrong the dependencies if any need to be worked out and compiled for mac.
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Quote :
Well, I haven't been here in a while, and that's because I realized that I couldn't really help because I have a mac. If there is any way for me to be able to get this on to a mac, please let me know. Do you know what it is that makes it incompatible, because maybe I could help make it compatible? Or is it a big deal that would require an entire rewrite? I feel like maybe a different language would have been better.

If you want to help out porting the game, that would be fantastic!  
As you may know, it runs on windows and linux currently, and we've kept everything we use multi-platform! Our sound library will need a minor tweak to work on MAC is all I really know of actual problems, but I also know very little about OSXs way of doing libraries so there could be some issues. If you're interested, I'll do all I can to help! Skype might be the easiest communication tool so feel free to add me if you use it.

Quote :
Obviously I'm not saying you should change, because that wold be a ton of work, but for future reference, C++ isn't the best Game programming language. (Though it is great for other things.)

I quite disagree here All non-ancient blizzard games except hearthstone, all cryengine games, all games made with unreal engine, and even the underpinnings of unity are all C++. It is the defacto industry standard for larger PC games! The advantage of C++ is that it sacrifices nothing in performance, but still provides the necessary abstractions to make larger projects reasonable!
Back to top Go down
RothX

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 6:46 pm

crovea wrote:

If you want to help out porting the game, that would be fantastic!
As you may know, it runs on windows and linux currently, and we've kept everything we use multi-platform! Our sound library will need a minor tweak to work on MAC is all I really know of actual problems, but I also know very little about OSXs way of doing libraries so there could be some issues. If you're interested, I'll do all I can to help! Skype might be the easiest communication tool so feel free to add me if you use it.

Ok, great! I would love to be able to help with this, so I'm happy to help port if it is really that simple. Skype would be great, so I can be up to date with what I need to do to the game and add to it. Could you PM me your skype name?

crovea wrote:

I quite disagree here Wink All non-ancient blizzard games except hearthstone, all cryengine games, all games made with unreal engine, and even the underpinnings of unity are all C++. It is the defacto industry standard for larger PC games! Wink The advantage of C++ is that it sacrifices nothing in performance, but still provides the necessary abstractions to make larger projects reasonable!

To be perfectly honest, you are probably completely right. I'm just being biased because I don't use it much. I can easily get used to it though. Learning another language is usually pretty easy if you know one, just getting used to the syntax and other minor details.
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 4:00 pm

Quote :
Could you PM me your skype name?
jjonjex, it's in my forum signature

Quote :
I'm happy to help port if it is really that simple.
I can't guarantee how simple it will be, we are dealing with compilation of c++ after all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I would like to help development.   I would like to help development. Empty

Back to top Go down

I would like to help development.
Page 1 of 1