Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Tech Editor/Maker Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Tech Editor/Maker

Go down 
+6
zotobom
~sciocont
The Uteen
Waap
Commander Keen
Darkov
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Darkov
Newcomer
Darkov

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 pm

To ease the way we make a tech tree, i made a small program with Game Maker. With it, you can make a tech tree very easily, you can save it and edit/add more to it at any time. You can also save an image file of the tech tree and post it here.
Here are some screens:
The interface: https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img69/3576/scrrenm.jpg
And an example pic of the tech tree: https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img62/9365/exampleiamge.png
The UPLOAD LINK:
http://web.hit.bg/thrivedown/Tech%20Editor.exe
If you want to use levels, just name the Tech "Tech Name 1-10", or if you want do not use levels.
Controls:
You click on a tool from the tool box, there are 3 tools, one for placing tech boxes, one for placing connection boxes and one for deleting.
If you want to change the properties of a tech box/connection box, like the text or the connection, right click.
If you want to move the tech box/connection box right click, hold and move.

NOTE: There is a problem with gm, i do not know why its there, but it there. When you save an image of the tech tree, it will be saved on your main C:// hard drive. You can move it after that. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I hope it gets used.

Last edited by Darkov on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Gamemaker I remember using it for a quiz in school long ago.

You should draw those buttons after drawing those lines, so they wont overlap them. Also those black stripes leave the text unreadable.

How does it work? What are those levels, 2 tech req and all? Are vertical tech trees possible?
Back to top Go down
Darkov
Newcomer
Darkov

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Gamemaker I remember using it for a quiz in school long ago.

You should draw those buttons after drawing those lines, so they wont overlap them. Also those black stripes leave the text unreadable.

How does it work? What are those levels, 2 tech req and all? Are vertical tech trees possible?
Ok i will change that. And i will make the colour of the letters white.

The levels are for "Firemaking level 1", "Firemaking level 2" and so on, if we are gonna use levels at all.
You can place the tech boxes everywhere. The tech requarments mean this:
If 2 or more tech boxes connect to one little box which says "AND" and that little box connects to another tech box(lets call this tech box "A"), the "A" needs all the teches that are connected to "AND" to be researched in order "A" be researched.
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 2:51 am

Wouldn't it get a bit confusing when there are loads of different things sending lines backwards and forwards across the screen? Or is there an uber awesome way of making it tidy? Just a thought.
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 3:26 am

Darkov wrote:
The levels are for "Firemaking level 1", "Firemaking level 2" and so on, if we are gonna use levels at all.

We will certainly have levels for researches, but I haven't thought of including it into the tree. Nice. (Just make sure it supports level 1-99. Maybe as a small number somewhere in the box?).

Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 5:30 am

What are levels for techs?
Back to top Go down
Darkov
Newcomer
Darkov

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 6:32 am

Commander Keen wrote:
Darkov wrote:

We will certainly have levels for researches, but I haven't thought of including it into the tree. Nice. (Just make sure it supports level 1-99. Maybe as a small number somewhere in the box?).

Well i will make it for 99 levels somehow, right not it supports 5 levels, my thoughts were like this:
The levelled tech boxes are divided by strokes into smaller boxes, each smaller box represents a level. So a box with no strokes is not divided and will have one level. But if its divided by one stroke it will have 2 levels, if it is divided by 2 strokes it will have 3 levels and so on.

Waap wrote:
Wouldn't it get a bit confusing when there are loads of different things sending lines backwards and forwards across the screen? Or is there an uber awesome way of making it tidy? Just a thought.
-Waap.
It depends on the designer.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 9:10 am

Well, every research topic can have levels 1-99 (maybe even more), and dividing a button it into 99 little squares will look crap. Besides that, what is even slicing the button into two good for? When you will need that leveled tech later in the tree, you could just use the button again, with blue background and a little number in top right showing the level number.
Back to top Go down
Darkov
Newcomer
Darkov

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 am

i think it will be best like this:
No sliced tech boxes and no numbers in the corner. instead you can name a tech like this: "Laser 1-10" then that tech can lead to two other teches:
"Laser 10-20" and "Plasma 1-5". That way you can make a tech require a specific level of another tech.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 1:48 pm

What does a tech level represent relating to real life tech?
Back to top Go down
Darkov
Newcomer
Darkov

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 4:28 pm

The Uteen wrote:
For example a laser level 1 works, but a laser level 2 is a better laser, as scientist understand more about, umm lasers. I dunno, i just made a tool to represent the tech tree idea, i didn't thought of the idea my self.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Darkov wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
For example a laser level 1 works, but a laser level 2 is a better laser, as scientist understand more about, umm lasers. I dunno, i just made a tool to represent the tech tree idea, i didn't thought of the idea my self.
I think we can simplify levels to what is absolutely necessary. you wouldn't need 99 levels of something, you'd only need enough to show its basic stages of development until it becomes optimized. Basically, each level should lead to either a better version of the technology or the ability to research another one.
Back to top Go down
zotobom
Newcomer
zotobom

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 1:04 am

~sciocont wrote:
Darkov wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
I think we can simplify levels to what is absolutely necessary. you wouldn't need 99 levels of something, you'd only need enough to show its basic stages of development until it becomes optimized. Basically, each level should lead to either a better version of the technology or the ability to research another one.
I was thinking of five levels:

1. Weak laser that cant be used for fighting: accelerates production times.
2. Better laser that can be used for fighting,but is very weak.
3. Good laser that can slice infantery apart
4. Anti Tank laser that can destroy vehicles
5. Superweapon laser. For very high costs you can launch a laser platform into space that can shoot a giant laser at the enemy.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 4:17 am

zotobom wrote:

I was thinking of five levels:

1. Weak laser that cant be used for fighting: accelerates production times.
2. Better laser that can be used for fighting,but is very weak.
3. Good laser that can slice infantery apart
4. Anti Tank laser that can destroy vehicles
5. Superweapon laser. For very high costs you can launch a laser platform into space that can shoot a giant laser at the enemy.

No, that's just blatantly copying Spore. Have you even played it?

In creature stage there are 5 levels of parts save for limbs and details.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 5:31 am

I think including many levels is the way. Instead of just having a few levels and huge skips between them, levels should be like upgrades to the technology boosting it's efficiency, allowing the user either to have smaller or more efficient techs.

Take computers as an example. There weren't just computers big as a room and then suddenly microprocessors. They were gradually shrinking and gaining effectivity, until they were like we have them now.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 am

Commander Keen wrote:
I think including many levels is the way. Instead of just having a few levels and huge skips between them, levels should be like upgrades to the technology boosting it's efficiency, allowing the user either to have smaller or more efficient techs.

Take computers as an example. There weren't just computers big as a room and then suddenly microprocessors. They were gradually shrinking and gaining effectivity, until they were like we have them now.

But not all techs should have many levels. How much improvement can you give to... Sports? Some, but not much can be done to make it better.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 11:04 am

team sports, PE classes, leagues, fair playing, rule uniformization, profissionalization....

i dont quite like sports, but this were just some ideas i got in like 10 secs, uteen
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 5:41 pm

The Uteen wrote:
But not all techs should have many levels. How much improvement can you give to... Sports? Some, but not much can be done to make it better.

Everything can be improved. With sports, these could be new sport events and such, "Extreme" variations, ...
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 5:54 pm

eumesmo wrote:
team sports, PE classes, leagues, fair playing, rule uniformization, profissionalization....

I'd say that's around... 0.9c. Why so detailed? I would just rather have sports and international sports.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 7:45 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

QFT
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 2:35 am

~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

QFT

QFT, but these levels will be preset, right? I think we'll need to go into detail with this.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 9:46 am

yes, the tech tree will be defined ( with changes for land and water creatures)
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 9:46 am

I can guarantee they will NOT be procedural.
Back to top Go down
zotobom
Newcomer
zotobom

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 am

But wouldnt it be hard to code that sea creatures cant research fire and wheels etc?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 am

eumesmo wrote:

i dont quite like sports, but this were just some ideas i got in like 10 secs, uteen

... Bad example.
But my point is making 99 different improvements to everything is just pointless. You did come up with improvements to sports, but I didn't see 99. Want to be stuck doing that? And the same for every other advancement made by mankind?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tech Editor/Maker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor/Maker   Tech Editor/Maker Empty

Back to top Go down

Tech Editor/Maker
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next