Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Caste Systems - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Caste Systems

Go down 
+3
eumesmo
US_of_Alaska
Tenebrarum
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

Caste Systems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:29 pm

the destribution of those social things should depend on how the culture is developing, the habits of sucessfull cultures d be copied (except if your governement made that not happen) , the society and effects. If you just suffered a climate catastrophe you get more willing to go green, the development in comunication. ideas dont have legs of their own, they need people or anything to carry them around.

this makes perfect sense to me
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:33 pm

eumesmo wrote:
the destribution of those social things should depend on how the culture is developing, the habits of sucessfull cultures d be copied (except if your governement made that not happen) , the society and effects. If you just suffered a climate catastrophe you get more willing to go green, the development in comunication. ideas dont have legs of their own, they need people or anything to carry them around.

this makes perfect sense to me

Yup. They'd be chosen based on player actions. If you build your SCs large and sprawling, your culture ends up with that trait. If they have that trait, they're more likely to use personal transportation, if possible, because it's more conveinient.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:36 pm

what i meant was more of the type: the roman empire spread their culture because:
a- they had roads which helped it
b- they had a thriving culture

but yes, the mentality of large SC would differ from small populations and would eventually spread to them-
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:47 pm

eumesmo wrote:
what i meant was more of the type: the roman empire spread their culture because:
a- they had roads which helped it
b- they had a thriving culture

but yes, the mentality of large SC would differ from small populations and would eventually spread to them-

My example was unrelated to yours.

The roman empire was not an innvasive culture, they were an invasive empire. None of their culture naturally spread, only through invasion.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:50 pm

i have to agree on that with you, but still it was a example i made up in the time an unuoctium atom decays

Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 3:14 am

I think ethics can be merged into part of the cultural theme, no? This would clear up the Society Section for the Importance Sliders.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 3:29 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I think ethics can be merged into part of the cultural theme, no? This would clear up the Society Section for the Importance Sliders.

Good plan. Ethics are more of a cultural thing anyway.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Good plan. Ethics are more of a cultural thing anyway.
That's what i figured.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Okay, let's get this thread back up and running so that i can whack a concept up in the wiki for Scio. Flowcharts. I like flowcharts. An easy GUI to work with, the player selects a new branch, then selects from a drop down list what training or actions happen, then they drag this out to match the time of the organism's life that they want it to go for. Each caste would have a separate flowchart, and for ease on the eyes only one flowchart can be expanded at any time. Kgo, turn this into a concept.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:00 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Okay, let's get this thread back up and running so that i can whack a concept up in the wiki for Scio. Flowcharts. I like flowcharts. An easy GUI to work with, the player selects a new branch, then selects from a drop down list what training or actions happen, then they drag this out to match the time of the organism's life that they want it to go for. Each caste would have a separate flowchart, and for ease on the eyes only one flowchart can be expanded at any time. Kgo, turn this into a concept.
so we're talking about polymorphism and growth progression within a species as castes right now? Good, but we need to differentiate between biological castes and societal castes. We need a different term for each.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 6:42 pm

~sciocont wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
so we're talking about polymorphism and growth progression within a species as castes right now? Good, but we need to differentiate between biological castes and societal castes. We need a different term for each.
Struggling. Maybe we should just call them classes, and have a viewable "Social Mobility" slider that shows whether someone is likely to become a different class from their parents. If the slider is at no social mobility, it is a caste system.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 8:04 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Struggling. Maybe we should just call them classes, and have a viewable "Social Mobility" slider that shows whether someone is likely to become a different class from their parents. If the slider is at no social mobility, it is a caste system.
So you're talking about society stage? I'm confused.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 am

~sciocont wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
So you're talking about society stage? I'm confused.

Now I'm confused too!
Isn't the Nation Editor for the Society Stage in the first place, Scio? That's where this topic is, after all!
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm willing to label it "class" for society and "caste" for biology. Sounds good.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In this case, the player should be given a fair degree of freedom. ALL different castes should spawn different classes for themselves however. This will be able to change, but only with immense time and effort, and possibly technology. Speaking as someone who is currently going from one caste to another, I can say with fair certainty that the breakdown of separate classes which are based on caste differences only ever seems to be able to be crossed if the caste itself can be crossed.

Contrast this with breakdown of classes based on ethnicity, where ethnicity can remain the same, but class breakdown can be attributed to widening empathetic ranges.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
I'm willing to label it "class" for society and "caste" for biology. Sounds good.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In this case, the player should be given a fair degree of freedom. ALL different castes should spawn different classes for themselves however. This will be able to change, but only with immense time and effort, and possibly technology. Speaking as someone who is currently going from one caste to another, I can say with fair certainty that the breakdown of separate classes which are based on caste differences only ever seems to be able to be crossed if the caste itself can be crossed.

Contrast this with breakdown of classes based on ethnicity, where ethnicity can remain the same, but class breakdown can be attributed to widening empathetic ranges.
Ok. I'm glad that the terminology is now laid down, and that's a good idea to have castes automatically join different classes.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Okay, seems like classes are locked down. Return to the Cultural Themes and Traits Thread to finish off the rest of what we need to whack this thing on the wiki.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caste Systems   Caste Systems - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Caste Systems
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2