Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor

Go down 
+11
The Uteen
alduin2013
PTFace
Deathbite42
Commander Keen
Tenebrarum
Mysterious_Calligrapher
US_of_Alaska
Invader
~sciocont
GamerXA
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Empty
PostSubject: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:53 pm

This Editor would allow the player to modify Castes of a player's species to allow them to create Organisms that are similar to ants and will also allow Sexual Dimorphism. Each variation of the Organism will exist in a box which will connect to other boxes by coloured lines. The lines would be:
  • Grow (Yellow): With this line the Organism grows into another class at the age that was predefined in the line's settings.

• Reproduction (Green): This can be used for multiple types of reproduction, for two gendered species, the green line connects between them and then a third line extends from a circle in the middle of the line and connects to the result of the reproduction, usually a baby.

• Transform (White): This line is used for when an individual transforms into another class in varying circumstances which are outlined in the line's settings.

With this editor the player will be able to create strange castes and classes that could be similar to ants, or something alien.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Not Editor. (well, not standalone) This system will be part of the OE sizing board and probably the culture editor. Otherwise this is completely approved.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:34 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Not Editor. (well, not standalone) This system will be part of the OE sizing board and probably the culture editor. Otherwise this is completely approved.

Well, genetic classes would be part of the OE (races, ethnicities, ect.). Other classes, like Peasant or Worker would be part of the Culture editor. Also in the Culture editor we should be able to choose the way thay the general public from any specific faction reacts to certain Genetic classes. (Examples: racism and segeregation)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Social things will be done in the CE, yes. Otherwise this Caste/class idea sounds good.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:01 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Well, genetic classes would be part of the OE (races, ethnicities, ect.). Other classes, like Peasant or Worker would be part of the Culture editor. Also in the Culture editor we should be able to choose the way thay the general public from any specific faction reacts to certain Genetic classes. (Examples: racism and segeregation)
I think that any species would react badly to being oppressed. The ones that are doing the oppressing, on the other hand, might even be happier.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 2:40 am

I think this would be handled in the Behaviour Editor. Other races and anything that is at all different from the main species should be evolved as a separate species that can interbreed with the related Organisms.

If two Organisms have similar Caste structures and are genetically similar individuals of a particular class should be able to act as the same class from another Species Caste and Class Tree.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 am

GamerXA wrote:
I think this would be handled in the Behaviour Editor. Other races and anything that is at all different from the main species should be evolved as a separate species that can interbreed with the related Organisms.

If two Organisms have similar Caste structures and are genetically similar individuals of a particular class should be able to act as the same class from another Species Caste and Class Tree.
No, things like that should be done in the Culture editor, because they are sociological.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 3:55 pm

It would be used for extremely diverse, but still interbreedable, subspecies. It would be used for Organisms such as Dogs, they can still interbreed, but they look very different from one another.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 7:28 pm

As long as we remember that some things in a "subspecies" (organ arrangement, skeletal structure, and muscle attatchment come to mind) can't realistically be changed.
Also, about opression... well, we brought up ants. I wouldn't say that ants are opressed. After all, your worker ant or bee is, while genetically female, an infertile, asexual being with no pension plan, no retirement, and no family life. Then again, ants aren't sentient. If they were, I doubt they'd all be entirely happy with the status quo. (Obviously the queen would be, but you know what they say about absolute power...)
In addition, I love that this plan allows for dimorphism. (Though I have to say that, biologically, I have a hard time imagining more than two separate genders... not that we need that much detail.)
Maybe we could have the races/subspecies thing connected to geographical location, or the nations themselves? Being spread out geographically is, after all, the quickest way for traditional natural selection to diverge a species' traits.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 pm

I really don't think more than two sexes would be efficient in evolution, but i suppose we're not really limiting that in the OE.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:18 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I really don't think more than two sexes would be efficient in evolution, but i suppose we're not really limiting that in the OE.

Not effecient but still advantageous under certain situations.

I personally prefer one sex that is still relient on sexual reproduction. That's just me though.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 12:08 am

Now that I think of it, ants and bees and other colony insects practically have three genders: The female (queen) males (drones) and androgynous (workers... technically female when female is defined by lack of a y chromosome.)
It's advantageous for them, since they don't have to waste individuals with reproductive capability on dangerous tasks. But since one "gender" isn't involved in reproduction, it only sort of counts. I can't think of any advantages to needing three individuals' genetic information in order to produce. I'm sure someone could invent one, but....
This whole subject is begging for a tentacle joke.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 8:12 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Now that I think of it, ants and bees and other colony insects practically have three genders: The female (queen) males (drones) and androgynous (workers... technically female when female is defined by lack of a y chromosome.)

This is covered by castes system. I'm sure it is laying somewhere around here, maybe even on the Wiki.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

This is covered by castes system. I'm sure it is laying somewhere around here, maybe even on the Wiki.
It's implemented in the OE Concept.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 3:01 pm

To my knowlege, scio, the Caste editor allows the player to select a sub group to be part of a caste by some genetic factor (whether it be gender or something else.) But creating a species that functioned like hive insects, with a queen and workers, with a huge portion of the population being genetically sterile is something that I'm pretty sure we haven't covered in it. I was thinking we'd have to have them create a third (fourth, fifth, whatever) gender which wasn't reproductively viable, then hop on over to the class editor and classify that gender as "workers" if we wanted to emulate ants.

Just clarifying. I assumed we wanted to keep major genetic variants in the OE and societal constraints in the Caste Editor.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Just clarifying. I assumed we wanted to keep major genetic variants in the OE and societal constraints in the Caste Editor.

Directly quoting the OE concept:

"The "Caste" option will allow you to differentiate your creature between sexes and types of your creature (think:ants)"
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:38 pm

GamerXA wrote:

The definition of a species is all individuals that can breed with each other.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Actually the definition of a species is all organism that can reproduce and who's offspring can reproduce
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Touche. But that still backs my argument, does it not?
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: What about life cycles?   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:15 am

would this editor cover that as well, or do we need another editor for that?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 pm

alduin2013 wrote:
would this editor cover that as well, or do we need another editor for that?
Indeed.

I quote, from the original post:
Quote :
  • Grow (Yellow): With this line the Organism grows into another class at the age that was predefined in the line's settings.

Also, this is planned to be a section of the Organism Editor, not a standalone editor.
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: oh ok, jut wanted to be sure   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 6:25 pm

I just wanted to be sure that lifecyles are possible.
Back to top Go down
PerfectOrganismil
Newcomer
PerfectOrganismil

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 7:02 pm

By castes I thought you meant group rankings. Such as matriarch, alpha male, alpha female, lower class, and moderate. I at first thought of that when I saw the post title
Back to top Go down
PerfectOrganismil
Newcomer
PerfectOrganismil

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 7:07 pm

PTFace wrote:
Actually the definition of a species is all organism that can reproduce and who's offspring can reproduce
correction to your definition. An organism is any living thing that has tissue and organs and cells for multicellular organisms, for prokaryotes or single cell organisms just a cell. A species is any organism. Higher up is a population which is a group of one single species. Next is a community which is multiple organisms that interact. After that is an ecosystem, where living and nonliving factors interact. Next is a biome, where an ecosystem lies, and then a biosphere which is the entire planet. So keep in mind a species is just one organism in a group of other members of that species on one big biosphere. Did this help you?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 pm

PerfectOrganismil wrote:
PTFace wrote:
correction to your definition. An organism is any living thing that has tissue and organs and cells for multicellular organisms, for prokaryotes or single cell organisms just a cell. A species is any organism. Higher up is a population which is a group of one single species. Next is a community which is multiple organisms that interact. After that is an ecosystem, where living and nonliving factors interact. Next is a biome, where an ecosystem lies, and then a biosphere which is the entire planet. So keep in mind a species is just one organism in a group of other members of that species on one big biosphere. Did this help you?
Halt! You're being ostentatiously wrong on a number of threads! I suggest you introduce yourself and read up on our FAQs, Etiquitte before beguiling us with posts which aren't relevant to us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor   GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor Empty

Back to top Go down

GamerXA - Caste and Class Editor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next