Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Question about god mode Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Question about god mode Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Question about god mode Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Question about god mode Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Question about god mode Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Question about god mode Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Question about god mode Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Question about god mode Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Question about god mode Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Question about god mode Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Question about god mode Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Question about god mode Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Question about god mode Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Question about god mode Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Question about god mode Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Question about god mode Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Question about god mode Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Question about god mode Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Question about god mode Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Question about god mode Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Question about god mode

Go down 
5 posters

Should you keep your civilization?
Yes.
Question about god mode Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c90%Question about god mode Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 90% [ 9 ]
No.
Question about god mode Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c10%Question about god mode Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 10% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
fredpie
Newcomer

Location : The Great British Isles, home of rainy weather and afternoon tea.

Question about god mode Empty
PostSubject: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 5:17 pm

So, you've unlocked the asencion gate... but after going through, what will happern to your empire? Will you still be able to go and tell your civilization what to do as well as being able to create and destroy entire solar systems? I think it would be cool to use your godly powers to conquer the universe, but it might be too complex to be doing lots of things at once, for you and your computer.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that after you unlock and enter the ascension gate, you and your empire/civilization, just dissapear--poof--into an invisible, godlike being. You are able to alter the galaxy as you please with a wide array powers at your disposal. Basically you all unite, and become one, one user controlled, all-powerful being.

However, this is optional, so you can just keep expanding your empire across the galaxy. But.. say you already have more than one empire on one planet, because as I imagine you'd be at that stage by the time the Ascension gate was even invented. Well, I'm thinking you should keep your other civilizations if you've spread to other planets, and be able to mess around with them as well. ( )

Also, I'm not sure of this either; in fact, I don't quite recall this statement being made specifically by a person.. but when you choose to start a new game you have the option to switch into God Mode, mid-game, whenever you want. However, and I just made this part up, you're limited to only the planets you've discovered, until you're able to reach the stars by discovering space travel, whereupon you can just mess around with everything (and I mean everything).
Back to top Go down
fredpie
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 5:39 pm

So basically, you lose your empire in the save where you unlock the asencion gate, but in other savegames you can access it at any time, letting you win any war and dominate the galaxy in a matter of hours? Seems kinda strange that you can't be a god and have an empire in the game where you legitly unlocked it, but you can in any other random savegame.
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Im wondering what happens when you ascend.

The main thing im wondering about is do you see other galactic civilizations rise and fall in god mode?
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 6:07 pm

fredpie wrote:
So basically, you lose your empire in the save where you unlock the asencion gate, but in other savegames you can access it at any time, letting you win any war and dominate the galaxy in a matter of hours? Seems kinda strange that you can't be a god and have an empire in the game where you legitly unlocked it, but you can in any other random savegame.

Not quite what I meant, but you got the first bit right.

See, if you 'win' your first game, and unlock the ascension gate/God Mode, but later you decide to start another game, you can always switch to God Mode in that other game.

Basically you have powers in both game 1 and game 2. Only difference is, in game 2 God Mode isn't the default mode and you have to switch over to it to access it.

I'm not sure if you understand that, either, but I hope it's at least a bit clearer.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 3:06 am

Whoa there! First off, there is no God Mode any more. The old idea of God Mode has turned into the God Tools. These tools can be accessed through any other modes at any other times. So, the mode that most closely resembles the old God Mode is Observer Mode with God Tools. God Tools are not unlocked all at once, but rather in sections through a number of "Godly Researches", which are basically the ultimate researches at the end of the Research Tree.

But you seem to want to know more about Ascension, so here we go: Ascension Gates will be a TO, which will need one or multiple Ascension Engine FPs (or Ascension "somethings", i'm not a fan of "Engines"). These TOs can be built by an SC or worker units, and once complete will serve as a kind of one way portal to godliness. When the first of your people goes through a working Ascension Gate, the God Tools panel will be unlocked. This panel can then be used however you see fit, in whatever mode you choose. YOU DO NOT LOSE YOUR CIVILIZATION. You can keep playing, but if you have high freedoms you will see many people choosing to join the stream of consciousness or whatever happens when you go through the gate. Because lets face it, immortality and omnipotence sounds pretty good. Anyways, the game continues as it always has, but now you can do ANYTHING. The God Tools are basically Sandbox tools. They make the universe your playground.
Back to top Go down
fredpie
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 3:15 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Whoa there! First off, there is no God Mode any more. The old idea of God Mode has turned into the God Tools. These tools can be accessed through any other modes at any other times. So, the mode that most closely resembles the old God Mode is Observer Mode with God Tools. God Tools are not unlocked all at once, but rather in sections through a number of "Godly Researches", which are basically the ultimate researches at the end of the Research Tree.

But you seem to want to know more about Ascension, so here we go: Ascension Gates will be a TO, which will need one or multiple Ascension Engine FPs (or Ascension "somethings", i'm not a fan of "Engines"). These TOs can be built by an SC or worker units, and once complete will serve as a kind of one way portal to godliness. When the first of your people goes through a working Ascension Gate, the God Tools panel will be unlocked. This panel can then be used however you see fit, in whatever mode you choose. YOU DO NOT LOSE YOUR CIVILIZATION. You can keep playing, but if you have high freedoms you will see many people choosing to join the stream of consciousness or whatever happens when you go through the gate. Because lets face it, immortality and omnipotence sounds pretty good. Anyways, the game continues as it always has, but now you can do ANYTHING. The God Tools are basically Sandbox tools. They make the universe your playground.
OK, thanks for that .I thought the other idea seemed kinda odd.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 10:17 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Whoa there! First off, there is no God Mode any more. The old idea of God Mode has turned into the God Tools.

[snip]

(Was going to post this yesterday but forgot)

Dear lord, how long have I been gone?

Well then what's the point of the Ascension gate, the one that was first meant to give you God Powers? You're just invisible and invincible, you can float around.. but you don't have any of those fancy powers? Oh, wait, you do. They're just separate, I see, but really, wouldn't it make more sense just to not use any powers in God Mode?

But wait.. what tech object or method are we going to use to obtain these God Tools? Or is the Ascension gate sort of a 2-in-1 thing?

Ah well, I suppose it's just one of those things I should just shut up and deal with. That is, given you don't feel like arguing with any of the above points right now.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 am

Noitulove wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Whoa there! First off, there is no God Mode any more. The old idea of God Mode has turned into the God Tools.

[snip]

(Was going to post this yesterday but forgot)

Dear lord, how long have I been gone?

Well then what's the point of the Ascension gate, the one that was first meant to give you God Powers? You're just invisible and invincible, you can float around.. but you don't have any of those fancy powers? Oh, wait, you do. They're just separate, I see, but really, wouldn't it make more sense just to not use any powers in God Mode?

But wait.. what tech object or method are we going to use to obtain these God Tools? Or is the Ascension gate sort of a 2-in-1 thing?

Ah well, I suppose it's just one of those things I should just shut up and deal with. That is, given you don't feel like arguing with any of the above points right now.
The Ascension Gate allows you to use the God Tools. The God Tools themselves have to be unlocked through researches, which are generated with the same research generation method that the player has dealt with all along. Is this a trick question?
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 2:51 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:

The Ascension Gate allows you to use the God Tools. The God Tools themselves have to be unlocked through researches, which are generated with the same research generation method that the player has dealt with all along. Is this a trick question?

I'm not sure either. I'm just about as confused as you are.

So you get a few God Tools at a time, but get more as the Ascension Gate gets upgraded by researching?

A lot of problems here that I can't put my finger on. But they're mostly from a logical perspective, and not a gameplay perspective.

By the way, what does it do exactly? Last post you said it was going to unlock Observer Mode, but in this post you're saying it unlocks God Tools. If it's just going to give us God Tools, it shouldn't be called the Ascension gate. To ascend, as taken from my Webster dictionary (and thesaurus);

Quote :
1. to move upward: MOUNT, CLIMB 2. to succeed to: OCCUPY

Or.. are you saying, we're getting both. Not God Mode, just Observer Mode and the God Tools? So we don't have to be invisible and in the sky to incinerate people with oversized bolts of lightning?

I still don't get this.

Last edited by Noitulove on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 4:26 am

This is how I see it:

Before ascension:

You can research godly researches, using the normal research tree. You would have to build some sort of machine that would then do the thing, ie. a godly manipulation machine, etc. for each 'range' of tools (we decided the 'ranges' somewhere, more than just manipulation). They are just as effective, but are limited by the laws of physics and so require lots of energy to work properly, and to work at all. They also will take time to prepare for use, and then need time to cool down after use. Building the machines in the first place will require huge amounts of resources, and will take years to be made, maybe centuries. The size of these incredible machines would probably mean constructing them in space, maybe even for them to stay out there.

After ascension:

You can just do it.

And how big will the ascension gate be? The amount of energy and programming needed to ascend would probably mean a huge machine.
Should the gate be planet size?
(Like a huge ring, it could make a planet pass through the central ring and every (sentient?) inhabitant ascends)
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 6:05 am

Can the NPC civilizations in the galaxy ascend?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 pm

caekdaemon wrote:
Can the NPC civilizations in the galaxy ascend?
They can build Ascension Gates but they won't use God Tools on you or anything. That would be plain cruel.

@Current Topic: Okay, maybe i haven't been clear enough. I am not confused. I have a clear picture of what happens with the Godly Researches and the Ascension Gate.

Godly Researches: These unlock separate sections of the God Tools Panel. Of course, without Ascension you would not be able to use them. (I actually like UTeen's idea of creating God Machines to use if Godly Researches predate Ascension in your species, and we need to explore that possibility further.)

Ascension: When the first of your nation's people go through the Ascension Gate, you will be able to access the God Tools Panel. It will also cut off all limits that are present in Observer Mode.

Does this make sense? Researches = Tools Unlocked, Ascension = Panel Unlocked. Basically, you need both to be able to use the tools. With only the Godly Researches you would have the tools but no way to use them (except through huge machines like UTeen proposed), and with only Ascension, you would be omnipresent but not omnipotent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about god mode   Question about god mode Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about god mode
Page 1 of 1