Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Conception challenge - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Conception challenge

Go down 
+10
Invader
~sciocont
Commander Keen
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Pezzalis
caekdaemon
andry796
Gotrol
ADMIN
Albalrogue
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Conception challenge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Gotrol wrote:
I've got no inspiration left- my focus for the next 59 days is this: http://flotdesign.ru/

For those who dont read russian, its a competittion for civil industrial designers to create a new design of a russian warship =). The prize money are pretty high, and I have no idea how good the other competitors are, so yea... this eats away 99% of my energy now that I am on vaccation.

You design helicopters for the Russian Army? That's... pretty cool.

Okay- do you describe a species for someone else to draw, or do you draw what Scio described?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Caelumnen: My baby.

The Caelumnen are synapsidoid (Scaly skin, warm blooded, lactating, egg-laying) and hexapodal, with two arms, two legs, to two appendages between the others. Said apendages are similer to an ape's arm, able to grasp an manipulate though without much dexterity. They are used to run or for support when carrying heavy loads. The Caelumnen stand at about 5 feet at the tallest. They are hermaphroditic, and strikingly feminine in appearance, movement and behaivior.

Behaiviorally, they are extremely touchy-feely, and have a bad habit of embracing other races during first contact. They are easily traumatized by conflict, and as such most are actually pacifist. However, they all have a unique cultural aspect to this called Sancte Belare, a sort of cultural outcry for war. If they take note of a gross abuse of rights, either toward their own race or any other sentient, they sort of snap, as a culture, demanding justice. This is usually the only case in which they will fight. Invasion is rarely an issue, as they have a very small empire. Even their homeworld is surprisingly pristine, due to their high degree of need for social contact which helped to keep them together through their history.

It is interesting to note that when fighting, they will, without fail, sing and dance. It is believed to be a deeply engrained psychological phenominon, used to deal with a situation which normally would traumatize them easily. The creation of something beautiful distracts from the destruction. Induvidually this can be almost comical, but an entire army of Caelumnen singing in unison can be very frightening.

Their homeworld, Caelum, is a small moon of a gas giant. It has a larger than normal temperate zone, but is otherwise fairly uninteresting. It's slightly wetter than many worlds, mist, and fog being very prevelent. It rains almost every day in most Caelumnen cities. The foliage of most plants on Caelumnen is a deep red, and when juxtiposed against a sunrise made green from trace amounts of krypton in their atmosphere, it is strikingly beautiful.

God... I have so much more on these guys... If anyone is interested, I'll keep going.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 6:48 am

Keep going, Rex. Certainly one of the most original races I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 10:48 am

InvaderZim wrote:
Gotrol wrote:
I've got no inspiration left- my focus for the next 59 days is this: http://flotdesign.ru/

For those who dont read russian, its a competittion for civil industrial designers to create a new design of a russian warship =). The prize money are pretty high, and I have no idea how good the other competitors are, so yea... this eats away 99% of my energy now that I am on vaccation.

Okay- do you describe a species for someone else to draw, or do you draw what Scio described?
Well the goal was to draw and describe you're own species. But seems that no one has drawn one (I have but I can put it on my computer). A description is enough ^^.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 10:52 am

Albalrogue wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
Gotrol wrote:

Well the goal was to draw and describe you're own species. But seems that no one has drawn one (I have but I can put it on my computer). A description is enough ^^.
Give us some time
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Keep going, Rex. Certainly one of the most original races I've seen.

Yay!

The Caelumnen tend to be rather... Spacy. If you've ever read the book Stargirl, they act very similer to the title character. This unnerves many races they come into contact with, but is harmless and sometimes even beneficial, as many people develope a powerful fondness for the race, seeing them as children to be protected rather than full equals. While this stigma is known and hated throughout the Caelumnen, they still exploit it.

Due to their general unwillingness to go to war, it was determined fairly early in their history that a standing army was needed in case of Sancte Belare or invasion. (It is interesting to note that the general populace will be called upon to form militia in times of war, but these militia have been seen using weapons as archaic as bows and arrows.) This army is usually comprised of orphans, or dedicated induviduals who join later in life. Members of the standing army spend their entire lives training. Given the pacifist nature of the majority of Caelumnen, this makes them very suspicious. Most soldiers are treaated poorly by the general populace.

Again, I have more. Also: I have neither the skill nor the means to draw these guys/put up a picture of them. If anyone would be willing to enter what would likely be a long term project with me in the attempt to get a picture of these guys, you would be rewarded with tears of gratitude.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Wow, this really took off here. Gone for a week and then there's all this stuff.

I like yours, Rex - the singing/dancing point that's come up in the strategy before now has a concrete example.
Though I have to say, what is considered "Feminine" would be a bit of a moot point - in some species, females might be extremely agressive, and with creatures who are androgynous... well, the point may or may not be moot.

For example: entirely too-humanoid species I invented for a story
Spoiler:
Too anthropomorphic for thrive, but I do have a picture somewhere.

Will sketch my previous concept now that I'm home and have access to a scanner.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
I like yours, Rex - the singing/dancing point that's come up in the strategy before now has a concrete example.
Though I have to say, what is considered "Feminine" would be a bit of a moot point - in some species, females might be extremely agressive, and with creatures who are androgynous... well, the point may or may not be moot.
Thanks!

Hermaphroditic does not nessicarily mean androgynous. And there's no universal word for feminine by human standards.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 7:50 pm

System: Los
Biosphere: Ather
Kingdom: Nialma
Phylum: Odracat
Class: Nydapias
Order: Epridiathas
Family: Dani'imoeh
Genus: Moho
Species: paseni (Numah's)

Moho paseni, or typically known as Numah's are the only bipedal members of the Dani'imoeh Family. They are sentient due to their large accumulation of Eonurn receptors found within the head. This organ is called a Ranib, and is capable of producing the phenomenon of conscious thought. Numah being members of the Dani'imoeh family were typically social aboreal-like during their wild days, living among Erte's (Members of the Napalte Kingdom). For this reason they evolved fractilic extremities of their upper body limbs which are capable of grasping branches. Over generations these graspers became specialized to manipulate objects, allowing Numah to create tools.

Numah are uniquely adept at utilizing systems of communication for self-expression, the exchange of ideas, and organization. Numah create complex social structures composed of many cooperating and competing groups, from Mafilia's (Direct relations) to Tiona's (Like countries). Social interactions between Numah have established an extremely wide variety of values, social norms, and rituals, which together form the basis of their society. Numah are widespread in every continent except the harsh cold southern region of Ather known as Tiacranta.
Numah are noted for their desire to understand and influence their environment, seeking to explain and manipulate phenomena through science, philosophy, mythology and religion. This natural curiosity has led to the development of advanced tools and skills, which are passed down culturally. During their early sentient days, Numah were deadly predators, fighting large Nialma's in packs with weaponry fashioned from Coslinie deposits. Numah were responsible for the mass extinction of many of Ather's unique species in these days.

Numah's are Novmier's, meaning that they can feed on the sexual reproduction organs of the Napalte (Autotrophs) kingdom's species (Tufirs/Ategeveleb's), and the tough accumulated locomotive structures of other members in the Nialma Kingdom (Atem).
A modern dietry intake of the Numah is foodstuffs made from the excretory fluid of large herd grazers (Limk).

More to come soon.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Pezz.... Um... I understood maybe a third of that. Could you be more descriptive and rely less on words you yourself made up?
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Pezz.... Um... I understood maybe a third of that. Could you be more descriptive and rely less on words you yourself made up?

Ooh probably true... I should have been less subtle.
Basically I was pointing out how weird Humans (Numah) are from a different angle. I mean we eat fruit and vegetables which are effectively the means of reproduction for Plants, we eat dairy products which are made from excretory fluid of another species, meat eaters feed on muscle which is basically the locomotive means of many animals. If we can get planets with such a strange way of life in thrive as it is here on earth there are sooo many variations of possible species and ecosystems. Life is very very strange even though to us it seems totally normal
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

Ooh probably true... I should have been less subtle.
Basically I was pointing out how weird Humans (Numah) are from a different angle. I mean we eat fruit and vegetables which are effectively the means of reproduction for Plants, we eat dairy products which are made from excretory fluid of another species, meat eaters feed on muscle which is basically the locomotive means of many animals. If we can get planets with such a strange way of life in thrive as it is here on earth there are sooo many variations of possible species and ecosystems. Life is very very strange even though to us it seems totally normal

I saw nothing weird about what you wrote, I even caught onto the allagory for humans, it's just, I couldn't tell if you just used the name or if your race was just humanity.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:59 pm

P.S. Milk is not excretory fluid, it's milk. Excretory fluid brings to mind a number of other things that need not bare mentioning.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Hermaphroditic does not nessicarily mean androgynous. And there's no universal word for feminine by human standards.

Yes, the barrier created by having a terra-centric language (or languages - I shouldn't leave out our polyglots here) is quite the problem, isn't it? My point having been, that hermaphrodites aside, androgyny would cut out any words/conception of gender, and therefore of expected differentiations (mentally, behaviorally, etc. ad nauseam) between the two genders.

Though, speaking of language barriers, Pezz does bring up a point - stuff we take for granted (such as fruits) might not have evolved on other planets.
Hmmm... I think I'll be doing a sentient "Tree" next.
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 2:42 am

Ok my race my childer other than my centaurains

The Ponedon are Well for the lack of a better word,ship builders and engineers.They are short in stature stand only up to the waist of a tall human male They resemble earth's own Equus ferus caballus live in a solar system similar to Earth's.They have after being recognized to the galactic community Have built almost all of the bigger warships keeping
The biggest for them selves. Their pride and joy ,the Dinkalon super dreadnought, thus proving them capable engineers. The Ponedon Live in a Monarchy ruled by a queen and her advisers but have three classes of working beings;The "Ponedon of the land: farmers and most merchants they dissipate being the hardest class are still the lowest and are reminded of so; the "Ponedon of the sky o,El Gurta, are the self reliant class being able to seemingly walk on "clouds" and the fastest of all four Ponedon classes It is unknown how the El Gurta are able to walk on clouds but some speculate that their muscle and bone structure is lighter than others; the stongest and most tech reliant The "Ponedon of the Energy" or ,unidon, they are the glue and bones and tendons that hold this race together the relie on robotics to build their ships and weapons but such unidon are rare thats why it's costs so much to build a ship while not even having hands of sorts.

Ponedon are when compared to the other galactic races almost harmless they rather bakes sweets and garden or play with friends in stead of fighting or killing. They believe in the power of "friendship" a seemingly powerful field produced from all ponedon which powers the novablaster a weapon used on the Dinklon But they rather curl up with loved ones and friends.They view all species as friends they loved to be held and hugged the basically treated nice.

The Ponedon when fighting use a lot of treats if they can't passively the aggressor with sweets and being nice and kind they'll blow him up with "friendship" which is guaranteed to make the aggressor kinder if not Novacannon. It has beccome a joke to the Galactic Consul "if you see a ponedon running at you with a weapon,hug it" Because hugs turn Ponedon into "babies" making them easier to fight (implying you'll want to fight it after you hug it)

Not much is known about their homeworld But other say it's in another Galaxy

God that was long
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 5:32 am

Please try not to necropost. This thread is 3 years old.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 5:44 am

Probably this thread would be a better place, as it has concept races and it is much recent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conception challenge   Conception challenge - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conception challenge
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Graphics-
Jump to: