Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
The List, All God Tools to Date Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

The List, All God Tools to Date

Go down 
+20
HAL-9000
Silver Sterling
kingTherapsids
Raptorstorm
Commander Keen
Matriarch
Thrivial Pursuit
Poisson
AIs-null
Gorbachof
Darkgamma
PCaddict
Redstar
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
andry796
The Uteen
Pezzalis
zotobom
Tenebrarum
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

The List, All God Tools to Date Empty
PostSubject: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 pm

Alright. We talk alot about God Tools, but I've yet to see a list of them.

I haven't been keeping track, so you guys are going to have to post what we have/what you want.

I'll edit the OP as needed to contain all greenlighted GTs.

Aaaaaaaaand, they're off!
Back to top Go down
zotobom
Newcomer
zotobom

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 2:32 am

Create Planet tool
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:03 am

Not my major topic but Ill have a go at listing ones I know of and ones I think should be included.
I'm just gonna simplify them down to their most basic categories.

Basically I'm thinking of God tools as Brushes.
Most Tools/Brushes have a size variable. These could be represented with sliders on the GUI.

The size determines the scale of the effect. As stated below, the varying size of the "Destroy Tool" could, for example break the leg of a small organism, or rip a planet to pieces. It could range from creating a mound of dirt to a range of mountains. A single raincloud to a cosmic Nebula.

EDIT: Longpost needs a spoiler.

Spoiler:

And the list, because thats what was asked for, right :P:

Spoiler:

Thats not nearly all of them but its a start
Back to top Go down
zotobom
Newcomer
zotobom

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 am

Pezzalis wrote:
Not my major topic but Ill have a go at listing ones I know of and ones I think should be included.

Most Tools/Brushes have a size variable. These could be represented with sliders on the GUI.

The size determines the scale of the effect. As stated below, the varying size of the "Destroy Tool" could, for example break the leg of a small organism, or rip a planet to pieces. It could range from creating a mound of dirt to a range of mountains. A single raincloud to a cosmic Nebula.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Go(o)d List!
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:22 am

Pezzalis wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Nice list, but the matter and creation tools could probably be merged, the matter ones are creating, really.

Godly tool of redoing, please.

And Godly tool of save and load objects. Needs a better name. Load probably creation, save... Needs to be near it.

And for plasma tools: Star creation tool.

Good idea for the cosmic tools, too.

Wow, Sandbox is gonna be cool! I wanna time-warp everything in my Sandbox! Lolz!!!!!11! And Thrive'll be good, too.

Couldn't undo and redo be part of timewarp, by any chance? Just reverse time slightly, and do something else. That would be interesting.
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 pm

Great idea for a god tool:

Impossible is only a world
Applied to an area (a country, a planet, a galaxy?) lets you create everything regardless physic laws in that area.
Create glass men, wormhole engines, immortal cats (:P) and ever more!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 7:03 pm

andry796 wrote:

Applied to an area (a country, a planet, a galaxy?) lets you create everything regardless physic laws in that area.
That would eb quite difficult to implement. Basically, you're wanting the ability to make things disregard game physics, but it would be quite arduous to actually specify exactly what ares of physics you want them to disregard.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 1:02 am

I think game physics might be bendable, but for your computer/game's sake we may not want to break them outright.
And that is a lot of tools.
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

~sciocont wrote:
andry796 wrote:

That would eb quite difficult to implement. Basically, you're wanting the ability to make things disregard game physics, but it would be quite arduous to actually specify exactly what ares of physics you want them to disregard.

Just make that when you create something in that area the editor will ignore every physic issue.
example:
The List, All God Tools to Date Cyclopius
Just tell to the game engine that this creature can walk and will not fall (It could not walk, because it has only a leg, it could jump, but couldn't walk).
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 3:35 pm

andry796 wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
andry796 wrote:

Just make that when you create something in that area the editor will ignore every physic issue.
example:
The List, All God Tools to Date Cyclopius
Just tell to the game engine that this creature can walk and will not fall (It could not walk, because it has only a leg, it could jump, but couldn't walk).

I take it that is a broken image I'm seeing, not an example of the game breaking?

So... You would have to choose which physics it defies. I read recently in 'A Brief History Of Time' by Stephen Hawking, of a law made by Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (click to read about him, as some may want to) which stops particles being in the same location. If that law was defied, everything would become a black hole, and if you want to make anything other than a black hole, then don't defy that.

What I'm saying is, customisability of law-defying qualities will be required. And I'm advertising a book... Oops. [pureopinionnotadvertising]It's a good book if you haven't done much advanced science at school yet, but enjoy learning, and don't really get most stuff on wikipedia.[/pureopinionnotadvertising]
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 6:25 pm

You know what I mean!
Don't be stupid!
I don't mean "turning off" all physics, just those that wont let you to create somethig imaginary, for example an organism without organs or inanimated objects gaining life!
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 6:29 pm

andry796 wrote:
You know what I mean!
Don't be stupid!
I don't mean "turning off" all physics, just those that wont let you to create somethig imaginary, for example an organism without organs or inanimated objects gaining life!
All things must be programed. We need very, very, very explicite detail of what you mean, and the effect it has on the game. Otherwise we cannot consider it at all.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 10:38 pm

The game is made with restrictions for a reason... sometimes stuff needs physics to keep it from being complete chaos.
Andry, if in the example you're talking about with a one-legged creature (whose locomotion options are restricted to only one, 'hop" as opposed to a two-legged that could "hop' "crawl" "walk" etc.) being allowed to use other options, like walk, (and therefore having areas inacessable by hopping now acessable) then I think that would be possible.
Organless creature - well, I can see why you might want to make one. But I think we'd best not ask bashi for that, as we more or less have an autocode (to my knowlege) that will provide you with your basic organs, which you then mess with. Leaving an option to turn off some of our more buried autocodes could lead to serious game borkage. So no omnitool to turn off these things - I agree with Rex on that.
Specify which bits you want turned off, and we'll have a look and see if it would be feasable or if it would cause borkage.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Quote :
Leaving an option to turn off some of our more buried autocodes could lead to serious game borkage.
Thanks for pointing that out. Code is like jenga. You never quite know what's going to happen when you start removing blocks. and the deeper down the stack the block is, the more that could collapse if it was the wrong one.
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:23 am

We don't have to remove code.
And I don't see it too much difficult.
For example organless organisms won't show organs (if killed) and will have more strenght.
Glas men: Just show their skin traslucent and don't show organs or whatever they have inside.
Immortal cats ( again): just make their lifespan ∞.
Back to top Go down
Redstar
Newcomer
Redstar

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:42 am

~sciocont wrote:
Quote :
Leaving an option to turn off some of our more buried autocodes could lead to serious game borkage.
Thanks for pointing that out. Code is like jenga. You never quite know what's going to happen when you start removing blocks. and the deeper down the stack the block is, the more that could collapse if it was the wrong one.
Eurgh. Even aside from the way it'd break the game, I really don't like the idea of god tools that straight-up just ignore things like physics. I know the knee-jerk reaction to that is "QQ but I wanna actually be god," but coding the mind of infinity was never what we set out to do.

Do we have a clear, stated goal for God tools? I haven't actually seen one. Establishing clear "mission statements" for each section would likely rein in some of the more crazy stuff - it'd save us having to re-define everything all the time.

My idea for god tools has always been the following.
God tools are meant to give the player control over physical processes in the game that are normally automatic, as well as directly edit the existing game galaxy.

With that in mind, let's talk about basics - because that needs to happen here. Presuming that my above statement of purpose is acceptable, we need tools that can:
1) Place objects in the game galaxy.
2) Edit or remove objects already in the game galaxy.

I really like the above-given list of tools - I think most of those are useful. The only exception is the "gravity well" - it's unnecessary. Gravity, I think, should be a hard-wired, under-the-hood phenomenon. If you want a gravity well, create matter, or place a black hole. Place enough matter in one place, and, if it's dense enough, it should automatically compress into a sphere once it's above the given threshold for mass. That's how planetary formation actually works, and it doesn't make sense to complicate it further.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Couldn't you get something pretty much exactly the same as a gravity well if you made a black hole and dragged it around with a god tool?

We need a god tool that lets you drag things around. Unless we could just click & drag with the godly selection tool, of course.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:54 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Couldn't you get something pretty much exactly the same as a gravity well if you made a black hole and dragged it around with a god tool?

We need a god tool that lets you drag things around. Unless we could just click & drag with the godly selection tool, of course.

My earlier list had the Grab tool, just click and grab to drag any entity round. COuld be as small as dragging a small organism by the tail to pulling your enemies home planet into the home star
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Redstar wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Quote :
Eurgh. Even aside from the way it'd break the game, I really don't like the idea of god tools that straight-up just ignore things like physics. I know the knee-jerk reaction to that is "QQ but I wanna actually be god," but coding the mind of infinity was never what we set out to do.

Do we have a clear, stated goal for God tools? I haven't actually seen one. Establishing clear "mission statements" for each section would likely rein in some of the more crazy stuff - it'd save us having to re-define everything all the time.

My idea for god tools has always been the following.
God tools are meant to give the player control over physical processes in the game that are normally automatic, as well as directly edit the existing game galaxy.

With that in mind, let's talk about basics - because that needs to happen here. Presuming that my above statement of purpose is acceptable, we need tools that can:
1) Place objects in the game galaxy.
2) Edit or remove objects already in the game galaxy.

I really like the above-given list of tools - I think most of those are useful. The only exception is the "gravity well" - it's unnecessary. Gravity, I think, should be a hard-wired, under-the-hood phenomenon. If you want a gravity well, create matter, or place a black hole. Place enough matter in one place, and, if it's dense enough, it should automatically compress into a sphere once it's above the given threshold for mass. That's how planetary formation actually works, and it doesn't make sense to complicate it further.
Thanks, red. We do need a clear definition. We could think up things that are impossible literally forever. God tools should be USEFUL above all. We don't need easter-egg tools, we need tools that allow you to things you would actually want to do that would affect gameplay.
Back to top Go down
PCaddict
Newcomer
PCaddict

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 8:12 pm

Ok, two questions (and an idea or two)
1st off, if you create a creature from scratch, and then help it grow to a full civilization, will they then worship you like a god? Like, build churches for you, and statues of you, and stuff like that? And, if so, I think you should get an extra tool- the "Chosen One" tool. Basically, it would let you select one member of the civilization, and give him semi-god powers. Like, being able to heal people, kill/destroy their enemies, make plants and animals, all that fun stuff. There would also be a chance that they would go mad with power and enslave the civilization. : P

2nd, will you be able to make viruses? I think it would be a cool addition to be able to unleash a plague on a planet, but that's just me.

And my idea-
Improbable planet. Similar to andry's idea, but not quite SO odd, and having only effect one planet. With it, you could create a planet in any way- It doesn't matter if it would work physically or not, you can still make it. You would also be able to place it anywhere in the start system. It could be brushing shoulders with the star, or be far enough away to normally be and ice ball. After you make the planet, you could also fill it with odd creatures. They'll work and live pretty much no matter what, and place them anywhere, along with make normally impossible ecosystems. It would make planet making easier and cooler, IMO.

Oh, and has anyone ever used Universe Sandbox?
I think some of the star system building tools are really helpful, and should be incorporated into Thrive. Like, the auto-orbit, "Goldilocks zone" button, Roche Limit, etc. Plus being able to launch a moon into a planet would be fun. : P
Those things would make building a star system MUCH easier, and take a lot of the annoying guess work out of it.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:00 pm

We're not going to have an extremely detailed gravity simulation. We'll set you up with what orbits work, a goldilocks zone, etc, when you go in.
Back to top Go down
PCaddict
Newcomer
PCaddict

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 pm

Ok. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be TOO difficult to make a star system.

And what about the other things? Know anything about them?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Other things: Virus editor was axed a couple months back as not worth the trouble. You want to programm the sucker, we'll be happy to include it.
We've got the "posess certain member of species option," I'm not certain everything that it entails. I don't think it unlocks superpowers or anything though.
Statues: How would your organism know what you look like?
Planet editor/gravity/do not break the universe has already been discussed. Basically, if we want our programming to work, there are going to be some things that we can bend and some things that we absolutely have to hardwire. We are still not completely certain of what everything falls under yet. Most of our constraints for solar systems are procedurally determined, however.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 4:25 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:

We look to reality for the answer; They assume you created them in your own image; So they will be statues of themselves.

Of course that is just one example... They could also be statues of animals on their planet, or hybrid creatures (IE Horus, part man, part eagle)

Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:

We look to reality for the answer; They assume you created them in your own image; So they will be statues of themselves.

Of course that is just one example... They could also be statues of animals on their planet, or hybrid creatures (IE Horus, part man, part eagle)

Maybe you DID create them in your own image !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The List, All God Tools to Date   The List, All God Tools to Date Empty

Back to top Go down

The List, All God Tools to Date
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next