Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
city  big enought  - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

city big enought

Go down 
+12
lbrewer
Poisson
specialk2121
Commander Keen
Tenebrarum
Smothmoth
~sciocont
The Uteen
Darkgamma
Waap
US_of_Alaska
bill2505
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

city  big enought  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 3:12 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Yeah, I've been thinking of ways to zone using voronoi maps (one of which is how we plan to make country borders) The problem with zoning in cities is that even though they grow in unexpected ways, people living there are going to try to zone them based on a grid system, simply because grids really are the very best way that you can structure a city on. So large cities' districts can be defined by voronoi textures, but we would have to snap boundaries to streets and such. Does that make sense to you?
If we can get that working, it would also provide us with a good system for National/Provincial borders. Three-dimensional inter-planetary/interstellar borders are still gonna be an absolute Belgium to make though. It's really hard for us humans to think in three dimensional space.
Back to top Go down
lbrewer
Newcomer
lbrewer

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Yeah, I've been thinking of ways to zone using voronoi maps (one of which is how we plan to make country borders) The problem with zoning in cities is that even though they grow in unexpected ways, people living there are going to try to zone them based on a grid system, simply because grids really are the very best way that you can structure a city on. So large cities' districts can be defined by voronoi textures, but we would have to snap boundaries to streets and such. Does that make sense to you?
If we can get that working, it would also provide us with a good system for National/Provincial borders. Three-dimensional inter-planetary/interstellar borders are still gonna be an absolute Belgium to make though. It's really hard for us humans to think in three dimensional space.

agreed. how do we want buildings structured in the city districts?
like the player places all the buildings? which means that their will be ugly spaces between the buildings, or do we want to use the players buildings to create a tighter sort of build? Just a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 4:24 pm

lbrewer wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

like the player places all the buildings? which means that their will be ugly spaces between the buildings, or do we want to use the players buildings to create a tighter sort of build? Just a suggestion.
Not sure on that one.

As for tenebrarum's problem, we can create voronoi textures in 3d space. think of a group odf soap bubbles sticking together. that's basically how a voronoi texture works.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 pm

You're going to kill roadkill's processor with all those spheres and semi-spheres, Scio.

I agree with it being hard to think in 3D (Especially ever-expanding spheres) but do we really need boundary points in space? We certainly don't have them in the ocean - national waters only extend out so far, then the rest of the seas are no-man's land.

My proposition: No soap bubbles. Every planet flagged as 'belonging' to a nation, empire, etc. has a small space around it that is basically national waters. (National space?) Or we could do it around whole solar systems, within their outer disk, though really the thought of policing an area like the kupier belt...

Anyhow.

Political Borders only exist insofar as they can be enforced. ~ Calli's summary of her politics teacher's previous lecture.

What is too difficult to enforce then becomes common goods. ~ Calli's rebuttal of the concept of privatizing everything, which was also a debate in her politics class earlier this week.

Please try enforcing 'federation space' with anything less powerful than the Death Star. It's just not practical.

Back on topic, I think the snap-to-grid voronoi sounds brilliant. It looks organic. Don't forget that in certain cases (such as when there is a vast swath of parkland, or a river running through town) we can just go with the original voronoi angles, and have a few diagonal streets thrown in that way, to make it look more natural.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 pm

I think that we will need to take the terrain into consideration a lot more than this voronoi-thing will. Perhaps dividing the surrounding area into a voronoi grid and then checking the grid area against a forumla that scores terrain on its "liveability". Something akin to what Civilization V used for their tile-spread. Plains and coast are given a high score, hills a lower one and mountains are the lowest, as they are the hardest to live on.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:17 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I think that we will need to take the terrain into consideration a lot more than this voronoi-thing will. Perhaps dividing the surrounding area into a voronoi grid and then checking the grid area against a forumla that scores terrain on its "liveability". Something akin to what Civilization V used for their tile-spread. Plains and coast are given a high score, hills a lower one and mountains are the lowest, as they are the hardest to live on.
We're just talking about how to divide up a city right now.
Back to top Go down
lbrewer
Newcomer
lbrewer

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:24 pm

lbrewer wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

wed have to ask roadkillguy if there was anyway to analyse a buildings geometry and reproduce similar ones in blocks and triangles.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 4:35 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
I think that was the point, ido. If I understand the OP, the Voneroi function randomly generates us some polygons to play with, which can then be zoned either randomly or according to a specific function. (For instance, residential x distance away from industrial zones or more.)

Oh I got
Back to top Go down
lbrewer
Newcomer
lbrewer

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 5:12 pm

lbrewer wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

bumping for an answer from roadkill guy if it is possible in the game?
using the players buildings would mean analising buildings and creating similar ones to fit in the district without any gaps. It would be hard, and possibly quite ram hungry, but it would improve the anshetic of the game, and make cities look more like cities. As cities dont have large spaces between buildings mostly
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 7:16 pm

For simplicity, I'd say just put them on a 2d grid with roads in between. Make each building a cube. I don't see the problem.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 9:16 am

We are modeling quite a bit already, aren't we?
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:33 pm

I Want to make people Start Modeling and texturing

I think I will make a list of Models and Textures we need
Back to top Go down
lbrewer
Newcomer
lbrewer

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 1:36 am

ido66667 wrote:

ill double that
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 5:32 am

lbrewer wrote:
ido66667 wrote:

ill double that

Yes.
You're Very Helpful guy
Back to top Go down
lbrewer
Newcomer
lbrewer

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 4:27 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
For simplicity, I'd say just put them on a 2d grid with roads in between. Make each building a cube. I don't see the problem.
yea but the cubs dont fit into a voranoi grid nicely, and we do want random city growth rather than a grid (we do right?) so there is our dilema
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 8:29 pm

lbrewer wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
yea but the cubs dont fit into a voranoi grid nicely, and we do want random city growth rather than a grid (we do right?) so there is our dilema
Nah. Most cities that grow very large will adopt a grid system to keep things running smoothly. Planned cities date back to ancient India around 2600 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Hrm, is it possible to apply different grid systems to different cities depending on their culture? More cultured places would have a more round or even temple like layout. Less civilized cultures would have more unorganized city lay out. And more economic/organized cultures (like most on earth) would have an organized grid.

I'm simply curious as I don't know to much about programming, but as long as all buildings have a square base it may work.
Back to top Go down
lbrewer
Newcomer
lbrewer

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 11:36 pm

Dr_Chillgood wrote:
Hrm, is it possible to apply different grid systems to different cities depending on their culture? More cultured places would have a more round or even temple like layout. Less civilized cultures would have more unorganized city lay out. And more economic/organized cultures (like most on earth) would have an organized grid.

I'm simply curious as I don't know to much about programming, but as long as all buildings have a square base it may work.
not sure but i think it would be as simple as changing the voranoi equation you use
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: city big enought    city  big enought  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

city big enought
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3