Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode

Go down 
+5
The Uteen
Waap
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
2creator
9 posters
AuthorMessage
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Empty
PostSubject: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Things to discuss:

-Will the observer mode have a camera to record in-game events. It could be a thing where you click a button and it records from there on in or it could be a last five minutes sort of thing. By this I mean in observer mode it is constantly recording but only five minutes is ever saved. You could then access this and render clips and stuff.

-Will observer mode be compatible with sandbox mode. I am thinking of this in terms of machinima making as the combination of the two is perfect. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah observer mode will have a record button, But I think if we limit it it needs to be a higher limit.
You could go into observer mode in sandbox, yes.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:57 am

Five minutes of play saved does not necessarily even equate to five minutes of machinima. The limit will have to be higher - and we can probably just handle it with keystroke commands. (C&V, or something like that)
Still capabilities might be nice too.
We can work out someplace acessable where said stills/footage would be stored, because even if we have no storage limit, we want people to be able to remove and edit what they've got.
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 10:01 am

For time limits, I'd say at least twenty minutes should be allowed. Any less than that would be extremely aggrivating.
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 10:32 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Five minutes of play saved does not necessarily even equate to five minutes of machinima. The limit will have to be higher - and we can probably just handle it with keystroke commands. (C&V, or something like that)
Still capabilities might be nice too.
We can work out someplace acessable where said stills/footage would be stored, because even if we have no storage limit, we want people to be able to remove and edit what they've got.
We'd just sae it in a game docs folder. You should probably have these capabilities in any mode. And yes, 20 min sounds like a good limit, youtube has a 15 min limit for most things.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 11:37 am

I like the idea of being able to save the last x minutes, if something really cool happens (like those ideas we had for easter egg events (where'd that thread go?)), then I want to be able to save it.

But twenty minutes? Hm... What if I wanted to record one of those events, which happened in the last 10 seconds? I get another twenty minutes of boring? Maybe we should have a thing in options for how much history is recorded, as well as an easy-to-use in-game video trimmer, so you don't have to launch another program to trim it.

And observer mode should be accessible in Sandbox. In fact, when you go into it, that should be the first mode you're in. I can't see you making your first star in organism or strategy...
Back to top Go down
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 3:54 pm

What wouldthe movie file be saved as? Avi, mp4?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 4:07 pm

Doesn't really matter at this point.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Video length should be really limited by filesize, like how most video software does it.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 6:33 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Video length should be really limited by filesize, like how most video software does it.
Ok.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Actually if you just want to record what you are seeing in your screen you can alredy use any of the multiple screen recording software that there is out there, like fraps. It might help with performance but the user would need to add any voice comentary over that, so even if we help with the recording most people would still use fraps. I would think of this being something quite los priority.

Another idea i had while reading this thread yould be recording what it is happening instead of what you are seeing, something like replays from RTS or MOBA. That way when rewatching you could see everything from any camera angle. I would actually add this to normal gameplay too.

Throughts?
Back to top Go down
P3DR0PS
Newcomer
P3DR0PS

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
Actually if you just want to record what you are seeing in your screen you can alredy use any of the multiple screen recording software that there is out there, like fraps. It might help with performance but the user would need to add any voice comentary over that, so even if we help with the recording most people would still use fraps. I would think of this being something quite los priority.

Another idea i had while reading this thread yould be recording what it is happening instead of what you are seeing, something like replays from RTS or MOBA. That way when rewatching you could see everything from any camera angle. I would actually add this to normal gameplay too.

Throughts?

I was thinking the same thing, many games use this kinda of recording, GTA IV for PC and Skate are some examples, I don't know how it works, but I dont think it would be easy to do it, i belive its like a object and camera position saving in a simple text file or something like that, it would be awesome cuz the player would be able to positionate and animate camera movements, giving more naturality to the video than just a free camera with a screen recorder.

Another thing is the rendering, we would need to render the video somehow, and let's say a "normal" computer would take probably 4 to 6 hours to render 30 sec of hd video, maybe a game computer takes 3 or 4, and i don't know if there is anything like that for free out there AND if it is easy to simply create it, but maybe after everything is done, a screen recorder like fraps would do it...

But this is something for future updates of the game...
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 12:30 pm

P3DR0PS wrote:
Daniferrito wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, many games use this kinda of recording, GTA IV for PC and Skate are some examples, I don't know how it works, but I dont think it would be easy to do it, i belive its like a object and camera position saving in a simple text file or something like that, it would be awesome cuz the player would be able to positionate and animate camera movements, giving more naturality to the video than just a free camera with a screen recorder.

Another thing is the rendering, we would need to render the video somehow, and let's say a "normal" computer would take probably 4 to 6 hours to render 30 sec of hd video, maybe a game computer takes 3 or 4, and i don't know if there is anything like that for free out there AND if it is easy to simply create it, but maybe after everything is done, a screen recorder like fraps would do it...

Yo didnt get what i meant. I talked about recording all the action that happen, and just play that back in the same game engine (althrough it needs some modifications to do that). Just as a replay from SC2, where you can look at everything that happened without needing to play it yourself. This doesent have any special requirement, as if you are able to play the normal game this will just mean rendering, without any of the logic behind it.

It would depend on how detailed we make the actions, as something from an SC2 unit like you are in this position, move to that new position is much harder to record when every object is procedurally generated.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
P3DR0PS wrote:
Daniferrito wrote:

Yo didnt get what i meant. I talked about recording all the action that happen, and just play that back in the same game engine (althrough it needs some modifications to do that). Just as a replay from SC2, where you can look at everything that happened without needing to play it yourself. This doesent have any special requirement, as if you are able to play the normal game this will just mean rendering, without any of the logic behind it.

It would depend on how detailed we make the actions, as something from an SC2 unit like you are in this position, move to that new position is much harder to record when every object is procedurally generated.
Not really worth our time to consider in engine replays in a game that isn't action-based.
[thread]
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 9:06 am

Well, i just said that designing and creating a whole recording capability when youtubers would still use their own software is pointless.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Noone
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 3:37 am

Daniferrito wrote:
Well, i just said that designing and creating a whole recording capability when youtubers would still use their own software is pointless.

But not all people have software for recording.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 4:04 am

There are tons of free recording software out there. Professional youtubers usually use fraps because if you live out of making videos, you can easily spend $30 on it.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 am

If you use a Mac, Quicktime Player 10 has screen recording, and that comes with the OS. I'm sure there are plenty of free programs that do this for Windows, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode   Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode Empty

Back to top Go down

Camera Capabilities and Compatibility with Sandbox Mode
Page 1 of 1