Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Research Web - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Research Web

Go down 
+9
Falthron
Commander Keen
Tenebrarum
bill2505
Smothmoth
Poisson
~sciocont
AIs-null
US_of_Alaska
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Falthron
Newcomer

Research Web - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Were not going to dictate the research based on ours right. I believe the steam engine could possibly be made before something like gunpowder. Perhaps gunpowder isn't there at all due to not having the correct materials to make it.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Falthron wrote:
Were not going to dictate the research based on ours right. I believe the steam engine could possibly be made before something like gunpowder. Perhaps gunpowder isn't there at all due to not having the correct materials to make it.
Please read the web. Gunpowder is not a requisite for Steam Power.
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 12:21 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Falthron wrote:
I meant that as an example, in the web would there be a certain prereq. to gain a new "tier". Because someone may not advance into something like others do. Like what would the reqs of steam engine be? I see that its part of the scientific method and such, but what about material. Wood we require certain other tech like metallurgy or can we assume that stone and wood steam engines can be built? Even if it never happened here? Again this is an example. Also, what happens when two of these merge? What if the to turn the turbines of an electric motor they use technology from the steam engine? Will that be exclusively electric or would we consider that steam powered?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 9:37 pm

Falthron wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Falthron wrote:
I meant that as an example, in the web would there be a certain prereq. to gain a new "tier". Because someone may not advance into something like others do. Like what would the reqs of steam engine be? I see that its part of the scientific method and such, but what about material. Wood we require certain other tech like metallurgy or can we assume that stone and wood steam engines can be built? Even if it never happened here? Again this is an example. Also, what happens when two of these merge? What if the to turn the turbines of an electric motor they use technology from the steam engine? Will that be exclusively electric or would we consider that steam powered?
Whether or not the player can make the TO efficiently out of materials they have isn't relevant to whether they can research the research. Just remember that the player will gain research with triggers, so having and using the materials will accelerate the research a lot. Like you said, i'm sure that a race could make a stone steam engine.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyFri May 25, 2012 8:26 am

The newest update of the Research and Inventions List

The corresponding Research Web

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:34 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:

Thoughts?

We're having education after mathematics and literature?
Chemistry to scientific method is all well and good, but you could probably realistically get there by basic physics or basic biology (botany, 'natural science' and breeding plants/animals.)
We have ecology, which is good.

To oral tradition, might be nice if the description was less specifically musical - long form epic poetry is distinguishable from the musical accompaniement, and there's plenty of distinction between a ballad and the odyssey. And if it wasn't specifically musical or poetic, we could fit myths, legends and origin stories in there as well. Much neater.

Why is weather under philosophy?

Minor quibble with Fiction (Arts spawned may be written) but it's a nitpick that probably only bothers me. Making sure to broaden the idea of oral tradition is more important.

As long as religious freedom is about ritual and practice, not belief or discussion, we're good on the religious section.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyFri May 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
We're having education after mathematics and literature?
Chemistry to scientific method is all well and good, but you could probably realistically get there by basic physics or basic biology (botany, 'natural science' and breeding plants/animals.)
We have ecology, which is good.
This is a sort of formal education, with structure programs. You can see that we already have an academy as well as a Lectern FP under philosophy that allow for Ancient Greek style learning, but this research is roughly parallel to universities on Earth. That is, it's purpose is to educate, rather than discuss.

To oral tradition, might be nice if the description was less specifically musical - long form epic poetry is distinguishable from the musical accompaniement, and there's plenty of distinction between a ballad and the odyssey. And if it wasn't specifically musical or poetic, we could fit myths, legends and origin stories in there as well. Much neater.
Myths/Legends sound like a good property for an art to have, thanks for the idea.

Why is weather under philosophy?
Because that's what the Rise of Mankind Tech Tree had it under. But i think it makes sense. It's Weather Lore, which is essentially Weather Philosophy anyways. And realistically we could have any study of anything coming from Philosophy.

Minor quibble with Fiction (Arts spawned may be written) but it's a nitpick that probably only bothers me. Making sure to broaden the idea of oral tradition is more important.
Remember that arts are all Arbitrary Mechanics, and these are simply properties that the arts may have. To take your above example, Epic Poetry would be a name for an art with the properties Written and Myths/Legends.

As long as religious freedom is about ritual and practice, not belief or discussion, we're good on the religious section.
From the Nation Editor Wiki:
Quote :
Religious Freedoms are the ability to practice whatever religions you wish. The ability to do this is measured in the slider. At a lower value, the bonuses from the state religion will be increased (if no state then +science will be given) and unhappiness and disorder from other religions increased. For higher settings the opposite is true. Religions other than your state will not generate unhappiness or disorder, but bonuses from your state religion will be reduced.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:03 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Longpost.
Okay, gottem.

But still, I think, therefore Thor strikes you with lightning? I don't have a constructive suggestion for where to put it, though.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptySat May 26, 2012 1:55 am

But still, I think, therefore Thor strikes you with lightning? I don't have a constructive suggestion for where to put it, though.
It makes sense to me. Think of it as a precursor to Meteorology, which would have come from Philosophy of Weather.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:33 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
It makes sense to me. Think of it as a precursor to Meteorology, which would have come from Philosophy of Weather.

So long as it's playable, I say go for it.
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 2:20 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:

Thoughts?

What do dark matter boosters actually do? They are obtained with the 'interstellar travel' research howver the three types of interstellar travel seem to be researched later.

To improve it, you could add a short description of what each FP does to the research and inventions list.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:29 am

Holomanga wrote:
What do dark matter boosters actually do? They are obtained with the 'interstellar travel' research howver the three types of interstellar travel seem to be researched later.

To improve it, you could add a short description of what each FP does to the research and inventions list.
A dark matter booster would be similar to a top end solid state booster, so something like 2 weeks from here to Mars distance, but the fuel would be practically self-replenishing because it would be extracted from the space it travels through.

That document is long enough as it is :p I will be making an FP document soon enough, but i would really like to be able to add tables to the wiki and have all this up on there and linkable... Hrm...
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:11 am

I can't really say I like the futuristic part of the tech tree, but I don't have time to come with a replacement, due to life and the cell prototype. We can fix it anytime later, though.

Also, some of the researches in the list seem to be mixed up with researches that should be available way earlier.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I can't really say I like the futuristic part of the tech tree, but I don't have time to come with a replacement, due to life and the cell prototype. We can fix it anytime later, though.

Also, some of the researches in the list seem to be mixed up with researches that should be available way earlier.
Do you mean Researches or Inventions? Because Inventions are simply under the Research they make the most sense to be under, not the order in which humans discovered them.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 5:54 pm

I apologize if this is already included in the research web, but im on a mobile device so i cant view it, and i wont be on a computer for a while. I wouldve provided the link to the thread i said this on, but im not allowed, so ill just quote myself.

"Apologies for going off tangent, but I just got an idea for the tech tree, and I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it. Will there be a minimap in the game? If there is, we should have techs that correspond with improving the minimap, with the first of the techs enabling the minimap in the first place. I Was thinking a tech like tracking, such as what hunters use to track game. Through the process of hunting, hunters must have learned and even mentally mapped out the landscape and taught it to their apprentices. This tech, tracking, would thus enable a minimap (before this there would be no minimap), but it would be a very simple minimap, only showing land and water formations. there would be no dots on the minimap showing where you our your units are, you will have to your location in relation to nearby land and water for ation to estimate where you are.

The next tech in line would be cartography, which would be the equivalent of your society starting to study the land and make maps of it, such as Ptolemy's map of the world. This would add the option to open up the minimap and place landmarks and name them. That way you are literally mapping out the land as you explore, since it doesnt automatically update onto your minimap, you actually have to observe it in the game, observe where it is in relation to nearby landmarks, and then estimate as you place it on the map. Then, as I mentioned before, you name it, and the name shows up on the minimap (an idea i got from civilization 4). However, you and your units still do not show up on the minimap, you will have to use the landmarks you placed on the map as reference points to estimate your position.

The last tech would be GPS. GPS would enable your map to automatically update as you explore. For example, when you encounter a mountain, you dont have to place it manually on your map, the GPS automatically places it in the correct position. This is the equivalent of the regular minimap found in most games. Another huge advantage of GPS would be that there will be dots showing the precise location of you and/or your units.

I havent thought of how to extrapolate this into the futuristic phases of the game, but I was thinking there would be some tech such as Interstellar/Galactic/Stellar Cartography/Mapping that would be necessary for enabling a minimap in space."

Could you implement this?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 am

NickTheNick wrote:
I apologize if this is already included in the research web, but im on a mobile device so i cant view it, and i wont be on a computer for a while. I wouldve provided the link to the thread i said this on, but im not allowed, so ill just quote myself.

"Apologies for going off tangent, but I just got an idea for the tech tree, and I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it. Will there be a minimap in the game? If there is, we should have techs that correspond with improving the minimap, with the first of the techs enabling the minimap in the first place. I Was thinking a tech like tracking, such as what hunters use to track game. Through the process of hunting, hunters must have learned and even mentally mapped out the landscape and taught it to their apprentices. This tech, tracking, would thus enable a minimap (before this there would be no minimap), but it would be a very simple minimap, only showing land and water formations. there would be no dots on the minimap showing where you our your units are, you will have to your location in relation to nearby land and water for ation to estimate where you are.

The next tech in line would be cartography, which would be the equivalent of your society starting to study the land and make maps of it, such as Ptolemy's map of the world. This would add the option to open up the minimap and place landmarks and name them. That way you are literally mapping out the land as you explore, since it doesnt automatically update onto your minimap, you actually have to observe it in the game, observe where it is in relation to nearby landmarks, and then estimate as you place it on the map. Then, as I mentioned before, you name it, and the name shows up on the minimap (an idea i got from civilization 4). However, you and your units still do not show up on the minimap, you will have to use the landmarks you placed on the map as reference points to estimate your position.

The last tech would be GPS. GPS would enable your map to automatically update as you explore. For example, when you encounter a mountain, you dont have to place it manually on your map, the GPS automatically places it in the correct position. This is the equivalent of the regular minimap found in most games. Another huge advantage of GPS would be that there will be dots showing the precise location of you and/or your units.

I havent thought of how to extrapolate this into the futuristic phases of the game, but I was thinking there would be some tech such as Interstellar/Galactic/Stellar Cartography/Mapping that would be necessary for enabling a minimap in space."

Could you implement this?
From memory there is a minimap in Org Mode that deteriorates as memory fades. I don't think transferring this over to Strat Mode should be too tricky (y)

I know we have the ability to mark borders in Cartography, but i will have a look at the Research Tree with these suggestions in mind and see what i can do.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks Alaska. and also, if you can, please try to include the fact that you only show up as dots on the minimap once you have GPS. thats how maps have worked for all of history. This way the player must learn to use relative location to navigate themself before global positioning.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:07 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Thanks Alaska. and also, if you can, please try to include the fact that you only show up as dots on the minimap once you have GPS. thats how maps have worked for all of history. This way the player must learn to use relative location to navigate themself before global positioning.
Okay, the thing with the minimap is that it is supposed to show the things that the character can sense and the player can't. Things like noises behind you, and enemies that they can smell. This is why i'm not comfortable with having a map that you can't see yourself and immediate enemies on. Anything that your people can sense, you should be able to. That's how the character to player thing works. We can't be expected to look at every single organism we are controlling and look through all it's sight at all times. This is a simple gameplay thing.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 8:58 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Okay, the thing with the minimap is that it is supposed to show the things that the character can sense and the player can't. Things like noises behind you, and enemies that they can smell. This is why i'm not comfortable with having a map that you can't see yourself and immediate enemies on. Anything that your people can sense, you should be able to. That's how the character to player thing works. We can't be expected to look at every single organism we are controlling and look through all it's sight at all times. This is a simple gameplay thing.

Sorry, I meant to specify that I intended this for strategy mode only, where the player does not control an individual organism and is not dependent on it's senses. I meant that the minimap in strategy mode not show dots of specific individuals until GPS was discovered, to give the teach GPS some meaning. I was thinking that before dots are unlocked there are just sort of coloured highlights or maybe dots that only update every 15 seconds, whereas GPS would provide smooth dots that are updated constantly to show an accurate position at all times. However, if this is unreasonable or impractical to implement, then I take back my suggestion and am fine with the regular method.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Also, i would like to ask, does anyone else have a problem downloading the research web pdf in the OP? I click download and the page just refreshes, nothing more.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 7:33 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Also, i would like to ask, does anyone else have a problem downloading the research web pdf in the OP? I click download and the page just refreshes, nothing more.
It works for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Research Web   Research Web - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Research Web
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2