Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe Stage Progress Report

Go down 
+50
Inca
spacetime_dinosaur
MitochondriaBox
TheFellowWithTheHat
Dalroc
Silver Sterling
Mouthwash
meldebious
PortalFan1000
Tritium
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Jimexmore
Nimbal
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Naevius
Tarpy
FunnyGames
WJacobC
untrustedlife
NikolaAnicic007
CoolGuyChris
DawnTyrantEo
DragonX511
Armok: God of Blood
Oliveriver
Thriving Cheese
Jopetsu
WilliamstheJohn
Orygandian2
GmansWatching
penumbra espinosa
Holomanga
nziswat
Calfeggs
decelis93
Dilophoraptor
PandaVirus
Admantus
Daniferrito
Gawbad
Rorsten594
Raptorstorm
ido66667
Brennus
MeowMan1
Doggit
Seregon
~sciocont
The Uteen
NickTheNick
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Ok everyone, work is being done on making a first test scene for the Microbe Stage. This is a huge step forwards, and we are going to need to support our coders as much as we can. The links on the OP should supply them with what is necessary after the coding is done. For that reason, everyone who can needs to help out now. I will list all of the different tasks for the different skill sets. Really the only current needs are for artists, but more should pop up soon.

- Artists -

Details for the artists to read:
Spoiler:

To all current artists, please post any work you do here. To sciocont and rorsten, please specify which artist you are (both is an option).
Please post your 2D images or 3D models as download links, so the coders can use them for the test scene. Post them as jpgs, pngs etc., preferably with transparent backgrounds. I will compile a list of all the links on this post and the original post.

Concept Artist List:
Gawbad
PandaVirus

Tasks:
Microbe Stage Background
Cell 2D Images

Current Images:

US_of_Alaska
Spoiler:

Current Backgrounds

Gryphogrox

Backgrounds #1
Background #2 Revised
Background #3 Revised

Model Artist List:
US_of_Alaska

Tasks:
Cell 3D Models

Current Models:

US_of_Alaska
Wriggler Model
Animated Wriggler
Texturemap of Above Model
Textured + Animated Wriggler
Partially Transparent Version of Above

Theusfilipe
Cell Models

For all concept artists, here is the link to the sample backgrounds. Don't copy this, we didn't create it.

Really big link that was spreading the page

As sciocont said, E, F, G, and H are good candidates.

More concept to work from here, and here.
-------------
Back to top Go down
decelis93
Newcomer
decelis93

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 6:04 am

so, there is a wrigler model, Do I post mine too for download? or is better to use the one you post? mine is not animated so maybe is better the other... well you say, I will continue doing models with the conceps that you have on there.
and what format should I use for the 3D models?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 9:44 am

decelis93 wrote:
so, there is a wrigler model, Do I post mine too for download? or is better to use the one you post? mine is not animated so maybe is better the other... well you say, I will continue doing models with the conceps that you have on there.
and what format should I use for the 3D models?

For the models, the one that ogre accepts are .mesh

If you look at the ogre page there are tools for converting many other formats into .mesh, so you should be ok, Just make sure you are using a format that can be converted or make the .mesh directly.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:35 pm

‘This link will only last for a week, so if anyone knows of a good (i.e. permanent and confirmed scam-free) file hosting website, we could use that for future uploads. ’

Any solutions? This will be necessary for the models, too, I presume.
Back to top Go down
decelis93
Newcomer
decelis93

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:38 pm

I think we could use Dropbox, it's a good system but I don't know what limitations has it. It let's you share files and docs online, and appears in your PC like a normal folder, but everyone that has the permission can modify it.
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:48 pm

I finished the music of the loading screen of stage microbe. What do you think?

Back to top Go down
nziswat
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Doggit wrote:

Wow that's just... I can't even find the words for how perfect this is it sounds like Carbon Based life forms mixed with epic-ism and maybe a bit of spore?
Btw did you sample spore a little because at some parts it sounds familiar (Not that that's bad that's actually very good because if there's anything spore got right it was the music.)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Very good work Doggit.

@The Uteen: Only a week? Why do they still work then for links I found a long time ago, such as all of the mediafire links I gave for Alaska's models?
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 am

You really enjoy? I saw someone put a negative vote. If there is something that does not fit so you have to tell me to improve
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 am

decelis93 wrote:
I think we could use Dropbox, it's a good system but I don't know what limitations has it. It let's you share files and docs online, and appears in your PC like a normal folder, but everyone that has the permission can modify it.
Dropbox is okay, but the fact it appears as a normal folder is also the downside - if you move the file on your computer, the link breaks. Versions of the research tree hosted on Dropbox by Alaska currently aren't working, presumably due to this problem. There is also the problem of not everyone being willing to make an account when it requires an email address, due to risk of spam, transferral of the address to third-parties, etc..

Although, in my case, I don't have the folder on my computer - I only use the website feature of Dropbox, and even that I only use rarely. That's my solution, then.
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 am

You don't necessarily have to share the dropbox folder to use it. You can also use it to host downloads by placing a file in your dropbox/public/ folder, right clicking and 'copy public link'. That way people can download the file, but can't actually change your folder. All the Thrive files I've linked (mainly images) are hosted that way.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Seregon wrote:
You don't necessarily have to share the dropbox folder to use it. You can also use it to host downloads by placing a file in your dropbox/public/ folder, right clicking and 'copy public link'. That way people can download the file, but can't actually change your folder. All the Thrive files I've linked (mainly images) are hosted that way.

My point was: I'm fairly certain the link it gives you breaks if you move the files from Dropbox, and I'm bound to end up doing that eventually. That or deleting my account from lack of use.

NickTheNick wrote:
Very good work Doggit.

@The Uteen: Only a week? Why do they still work then for links I found a long time ago, such as all of the mediafire links I gave for Alaska's models?

Becaus I hosted them on one of the first websites I found with a keyword search. A week happens to be the length of time they will keep a file available.
But it doesn't matter now - I replaced the link with one to Dropbox.
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm

The Uteen wrote:
My point was: I'm fairly certain the link it gives you breaks if you move the files from Dropbox, and I'm bound to end up doing that eventually. That or deleting my account from lack of use.

That much is true. Perhaps a revolutionary games dropbox would solve the issue, but I'm not sure how else we would do it?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 11:43 pm

So would anyone be able to host a dropbox for our project?
Back to top Go down
nziswat
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 1:14 am

NickTheNick wrote:
So would anyone be able to host a dropbox for our project?
How many gigs u need?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 1:40 am

Idk, but I was offering this to a team lead with more authority than myself to decide. I think we would need quite a lot of space, as this game, even in its first stage, will ultimately have tons of models and themes and sounds and stuff.
Back to top Go down
nziswat
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 10:25 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Idk, but I was offering this to a team lead with more authority than myself to decide. I think we would need quite a lot of space, as this game, even in its first stage, will ultimately have tons of models and themes and sounds and stuff.
Okay heres what i found
We can get 2-3 gigs free
for 100 gigs someone has to pay about 9 bucks a month
And then theres teams where we can get 2000 gigs but someones gotta pay 1420 a year, and only 10 people can accsess it....
The second option seems the best, we just need someone whos willing to pay
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 10:31 am

Keep in mind that we're hoping to procedurally generate many of our models, which means we don't need to store them. I'd hope that we can get the cell stage in at well under 1gb, probably around the 200mb mark.

For the time being atleast 2gb should do fine. I pay £2/month for 100gb, so perhaps their prices have gone up? I suspect that the response to this will be the same as always, we have no money, so we'll have to make do with the free option for now. If we really get moving, and end up needing the bigger option, I'd consider paying for it myself though.

edit: having pointed out the difficulties, I still think its well worth getting one fairly soon, as I'd rather not have to hunt through the forums every time I need an asset to use in the code.
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 12:53 pm

decelis93 wrote:
I tried my best, it could work while no proper graphic designer shows up...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I will move to another thing, then I will try to improve it, tell me want you want in or out!

This might be a bit late, but I think wrigglers (and all the other proto-cells or whatever they're called) are supposed to be Prokariotes so I think you should replace the nucleus with some squiggly bits floating around.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Okay guys, let's get back to the topic. Also, please realize that this is important. This is one of the best chances for people who feel unproductive to get involved. Remember, every task you complete on this list is a tool or asset you are providing for the coders once they need to implement the models and sounds and art. Therefore, please read below attentively, and don't feel afraid to speak up, I know there are a lot of good artists and modellers out there.

As a last note to any unregistered guests reading this post, we know you are out there and we know you are reading this. We want anyone amongst you who can do models, art, code, or sounds, so please if you are reading this consider joining to help out.

------------------------------------------------------------

Ok everyone, work is being done on making a first test scene for the Microbe Stage. This is a huge step forwards, and we are going to need to support our coders as much as we can. The links on the OP should supply them with what is necessary after the coding is done. For that reason, everyone who can needs to help out now. I will list all of the different tasks for the different skill sets. Really the only current needs are for artists, but more should pop up soon.

- Artists -

Details for the artists to read:
Spoiler:

To all current artists, please post any work you do here. To sciocont and rorsten, please specify which artist you are (both is an option).
Please post your 2D images or 3D models as download links, so the coders can use them for the test scene. Post them as jpgs, pngs etc., preferably with transparent backgrounds. I will compile a list of all the links on this post and the original post.

Concept Artist List:
Gawbad
PandaVirus

Tasks:
Microbe Stage Background
Cell 2D Images

Current Images:

US_of_Alaska
Spoiler:

Current Backgrounds

Gryphogrox

Backgrounds #1
Background #2 Revised
Background #3 Revised

Model Artist List:
US_of_Alaska

Tasks:
Cell 3D Models

Current Models:

US_of_Alaska
Wriggler Model
Animated Wriggler
Texturemap of Above Model
Textured + Animated Wriggler
Partially Transparent Version of Above

Theusfilipe
Cell Models

For all concept artists, here is the link to the sample backgrounds. Don't copy this, we didn't create it.

Really big link that was spreading the page

As sciocont said, E, F, G, and H are good candidates.

More concept to work from here, and here.

-------------

Also, we know have a Thrive dropbox for artists to share the links to their art/models. Please contact nziswat or myself to gain access to the dropbox.
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 7:24 pm

nziswat wrote:
Doggit wrote:

Wow that's just... I can't even find the words for how perfect this is it sounds like Carbon Based life forms mixed with epic-ism and maybe a bit of spore?
Btw did you sample spore a little because at some parts it sounds familiar (Not that that's bad that's actually very good because if there's anything spore got right it was the music.)

:Q_____________ makes me remember SPORE's Cell Stage music, i love it.........
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 8:11 pm

penumbra espinosa wrote:
nziswat wrote:
Doggit wrote:

:Q_____________ makes me remember SPORE's Cell Stage music, i love it.........

realy? thanks
Back to top Go down
decelis93
Newcomer
decelis93

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:23 am

NickTheNick You can add me to the 2D and 3D artist list if you like. But before I continue working I would like to know what is done, and what is not; I did the Wriggler 3D thingy, and then found out that it was already done. If you would, please, have the kindness to tell me that, I Could star working again inmediately.
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 6:20 pm

decelis93 wrote:
NickTheNick You can add me to the 2D and 3D artist list if you like. But before I continue working I would like to know what is done, and what is not; I did the Wriggler 3D thingy, and then found out that it was already done. If you would, please, have the kindness to tell me that, I Could star working again inmediately.

Current models that have been done are the wriggler, the cooker, the plater and the defender.
Back to top Go down
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 9:40 pm

What else is needed for the Microbe stage?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Progress Report   Microbe stage - Microbe Stage Progress Report - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe Stage Progress Report
Page 5 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next