Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
How Will Science Work? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
How Will Science Work? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
How Will Science Work? Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
How Will Science Work? Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
How Will Science Work? Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
How Will Science Work? Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
How Will Science Work? Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
How Will Science Work? Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
How Will Science Work? Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
How Will Science Work? Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
How Will Science Work? Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
How Will Science Work? Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
How Will Science Work? Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
How Will Science Work? Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
How Will Science Work? Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
How Will Science Work? Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
How Will Science Work? Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
How Will Science Work? Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
How Will Science Work? Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
How Will Science Work? Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

How Will Science Work?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

How Will Science Work? Empty
PostSubject: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 pm

So I have covered several of the other aspects of society stage, but this one is bugging me. I thought of a model for science, and its effects, but as far as I can see science is a useless value until you hit Scientific Method. Here is why.

This is my current model:

Science represents rate of technological growth. It is affected by technology, buildings, policies, events, education, and scholars. Each tech has a set number of science that is required to research it. When you are researching a tech, your science goes towards filling that requirement; thus the requirement divided by your science equals time. Now, science is a rate, like I mentioned before. It would look something like this:

x Science/y units of time

Let's say we are researching Steam Engine. The amount of science required to research Steam Engine is 100. Our rate during the course of the entire research time is 10 Science/1 minute (real life time). Therefore, the time it would take for Steam Engine to be researched would be:

Time = 100 Science / 10 Science/1 minute
Time = 10 minutes

It is a very simple equation based off of the speed equals distance over time equation. However, here is where I run into a dilemma. Techs are not directly researchable until Scientific Method is unlocked. They are only discovered as a result of your actions. Also, I am pretty sure that many techs afterwards are discovered likewise, but can still be directly researched. This brings me to my final question, what is the point of science before Scientific Method if it doesn't affect research rate? What was the originally intended purpose of science anyway?

Note: I was thinking that after Scientific Method is discovered, techs could be directly researched as I stated or be discovered as a result of your actions. Putting the two systems together.

EDIT: Btw, the required Science of techs would rise as you go higher into the tech tree, because the player's Science would be rising likewise. (Like Civ games)
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 1:21 am

Aye, but...
Diffrent nations, ect. will have diffrent science points addition.
I mean, not only 10 per min.

It depends on tons of stuff like Your prograssion on the philospy of science (How orginzied your science is.) Or computesrs, ect.

Let's put it out like this.

Our base is zero, we add that the amount of money we give to science and the labs, ect. and how advanced are equipment is.

0 + Points for labs and academys + Points for Equipment + Andy other bounuses. = Your points per min.
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 6:38 am

I actually wasn't aware of the 'tech discovered by experimentation' concept. I do think that there will be techs at every stage in history which are effectively researched, either by trial and error (a crude scientific method), or by philosophical thinking. Perhaps its possible to combine the two systems in another way (this is only a suggestion, and one of many options):

Experimentation (on the part of the player, or his creatures), leads to the discovery of new potential technologies, but actual research is required to acquire them. There are many examples of technologies which can be easily discovered, but require significant experimentation to get working well, such as:
- fire lighting (discover: watch lightning start a fire, research: effective ways of doing it yourself -> flint striker)
- early boats (discover: notice a floating tree trunk, research: develop a crude raft)
- primitive building (discover: shelter in a cave, research: develop a simple lean-to)
- iron working (discover: melt iron ore on a fire, research: actually working iron ore into a useful form is extremely involved, and would take years to perfect)
...and so on.

This may not apply to all techs, but would give research some meaning before scientific method. Other techs may be discovered simply by having sufficient scholars working (philosophy, mathematics), effectively thinking about new things to, erm, think about.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:17 pm

@ido66667: The rate of 100 was just for the purposes of the example. Your nation's rate will obviously be affected by a multitude of things and increase over time.

@Seregon: I think that is a very good idea. That way, Science can apply before Scientific Method and tech advancement isn't as random and spontaneous. I think making a sort of system like in Galactic Civilizations II where techs had several levels would work. The first level of a tech is the part that is discovered, like you said, and then the later advancements are researched.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:07 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
@ido66667: The rate of 100 was just for the purposes of the example. Your nation's rate will obviously be affected by a multitude of things and increase over time.

@Seregon: I think that is a very good idea. That way, Science can apply before Scientific Method and tech advancement isn't as random and spontaneous. I think making a sort of system like in Galactic Civilizations II where techs had several levels would work. The first level of a tech is the part that is discovered, like you said, and then the later advancements are researched.

I know!
Let's make a Civilization kind of thing tree.
You know, Ages, Ect.
And for the points...
Can you give me a few things that you would like to be inculded in a calculation and maybe I can come up with a calculation!
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 7:42 pm

ido66667 wrote:
I know!
You know, Ages, Ect.
And for the points...
Can you give me a few things that you would like to be inculded in a calculation and maybe I can come up with a calculation!

It doesn't have to be specifically cut into ages. I think cutting into ages kind of draws it towards Earth history. Although an Industrial Age is probably an age every race experiences, I doubt other races would have a medieval age, or they might have a classical age at a different point. Also, in Civilization reaching a new age had more purpose, since it would mean all of your models for your units are updated, there would be a short cutscene or picture, and the background music would change. Thrive will not have any in game cutscenes or pop up pictures and models are designed in the Editors. For those reasons, I wouldn't go with ages.

That being said, the player should be able to go into the history of his species and label different time periods as different ages. This also gets me thinking about Golden Ages. I will draft up something for that soon. Obviously culture and money and stuff will increase the likelihood of it starting, and also I need to think of some effects.

Anyways, if we are going to create a tech tree like Seregon said, then we need to start thinking of research values for the different techs.

p.s. Sorry, I don't have anything ready for calculations yet.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 8:34 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
I know!
You know, Ages, Ect.
And for the points...

It doesn't have to be specifically cut into ages. I think cutting into ages kind of draws it towards Earth history. Although an Industrial Age is probably an age every race experiences, I doubt other races would have a medieval age, or they might have a classical age at a different point. Also, in Civilization reaching a new age had more purpose, since it would mean all of your models for your units are updated, there would be a short cutscene or picture, and the background music would change. Thrive will not have any in game cutscenes or pop up pictures and models are designed in the Editors. For those reasons, I wouldn't go with ages.

That being said, the player should be able to go into the history of his species and label different time periods as different ages. This also gets me thinking about Golden Ages. I will draft up something for that soon. Obviously culture and money and stuff will increase the likelihood of it starting, and also I need to think of some effects.

Anyways, if we are going to create a tech tree like Seregon said, then we need to start thinking of research values for the different techs.

Golden age...

x = Your nomal money gain.
y = Golden age bonus.
s = Science point gain.
c = Caultural gain (If there is such a thing...)

x + y
s + y
c + s
Ect.

Normal + Bonus.
Easy to program, Great Idea!
Back to top Go down
jaws2blood
Newcomer
jaws2blood

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 8:42 pm

ido66667 wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
I know!
You know, Ages, Ect.
And for the points...

Golden age...

x = Your nomal money gain.
y = Golden age bonus.
s = Science point gain.
c = Caultural gain (If there is such a thing...)

x + y
s + y
c + s
Ect.

Normal + Bonus.
Easy to program, Great Idea!

too easy for words really.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Yeah the effects are very easy to think of and trigger. Since this thread has served its purpose, let's brainstorm here and then I'll compile everything at the end and we can make a separate "Golden Ages" thread.

However, for the trigger of a golden age I was thinking that it be a percentage chance per minute. For example, if a player's Trigger Chance was 2%, that means every minute the computer rolls a dice or something and if it hits that 2%, a golden age fires off. The trigger would obviously have to be turned off for the duration of the Golden Age, then the player would get some effect immediately after the Golden Age (let's just call it GA from now on) ends that makes it impossible to get another Golden age until a certain amount of time has passed, or at least makes it very unlikely.

High Culture, Science, maybe Health, Happiness, Stability, Production, and other values all increase the chance of getting GA's, but only by small increments of 1% or lower. We don't want people getting GA's left and right, it is more a challenge and achievement to strive to.

However, this raises a problem. Although Happiness and Stability are relatively constant variables, Culture, Science, Health, and Production all increase over time. If the requirements for getting GA's don't increase over time likewise, then in the late stages of the game the player will have like 80% chances of getting a GA per minute or some other insanely high value. To keep this in check, the base chance of getting a GA (excluding the bonuses of given to it by your nation) needs to decrease each time.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:01 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Yeah the effects are very easy to think of and trigger. Since this thread has served its purpose, let's brainstorm here and then I'll compile everything at the end and we can make a separate "Golden Ages" thread.

However, for the trigger of a golden age I was thinking that it be a percentage chance per minute. For example, if a player's Trigger Chance was 2%, that means every minute the computer rolls a dice or something and if it hits that 2%, a golden age fires off. The trigger would obviously have to be turned off for the duration of the Golden Age, then the player would get some effect immediately after the Golden Age (let's just call it GA from now on) ends that makes it impossible to get another Golden age until a certain amount of time has passed, or at least makes it very unlikely.

High Culture, Science, maybe Health, Happiness, Stability, Production, and other values all increase the chance of getting GA's, but only by small increments of 1% or lower. We don't want people getting GA's left and right, it is more a challenge and achievement to strive to.

However, this raises a problem. Although Happiness and Stability are relatively constant variables, Culture, Science, Health, and Production all increase over time. If the requirements for getting GA's don't increase over time likewise, then in the late stages of the game the player will have like 80% chances of getting a GA per minute or some other insanely high value. To keep this in check, the base chance of getting a GA (excluding the bonuses of given to it by your nation) needs to decrease each time.

More math:
Chances.

Bonus = {x|n%<x>y%}

x + bonus = z%

The incrisment in request ment.

f(GA Requstment) = Requstment + y%
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Will Science Work?   How Will Science Work? Empty

Back to top Go down

How Will Science Work?