Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Tech Editor, just my idea of it.

Go down 
+6
Noitulove
The Uteen
Commander Keen
~sciocont
US_of_Alaska
YourBreakfast
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Empty
PostSubject: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:25 pm

We have kind of strayed from this. And apart from FPs and TOs, there's still a lot to decide. Here is my idea of what it should be like.

You will have a set of pre-made parts for you to choose from. These will range from panels to tubing to metal pieces etc.
More parts will be available when more resources are found.
Each part will have a card that shows:
Name:
Resource:
Info: (What it's mainly used for, what stats it would add to that Tech etc.)

You will also have a panel of Function Parts.
Function Parts (or FPs) are specific, unique Techs that do specific things (eg. a hydraulic piston, pump etc)
We'll have to make a long list of them.
FPs will be avlable through resources and specific research.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 11:43 pm

Okay, i just found a rather old document on my computer that i started and never finished. It's a TE concept. So, i'll post a link to it here:
http://download695.mediafire.com/vk061aozcutg/f65e2bb660xqluk/Tech+Editor+Concept.doc

From the looks of it, i gave up when i hit the values of function parts. I couldn't think of any more, and the old forums collapsed, sod it kind of got buried. Anyways, have a read. Anything you can add, or disagree with would be helpful. Also, tell me if the images don't work, i might have to upload them too.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:54 pm

I remember a lot of this, and this is kind of what i was talking about when i said the TE could be more like the OE. Looking at it now though, i find it pretty hard to imagine actually doing this. I think piggybacking on an existing modeler is still the way to go, because a lot of people will already be familiar with it. The function part stuff is pretty good, but things like directionality, i just don't see how that works or why it's needed. The current idea of function parts as modeler components that do things in-game is a little easier to understand. I'm still kind of leaning towards more freedom and using an existing modeler.

Good digging, AK.

Oh and the pictures do work.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I remember that one Alaska. But what i really think is that we should just have construction type parts and FPs.
While we all agree that we'll have FPs (and a wide range of them). I think we have to decide what the other, construction-type parts we'll have. (eg. panels, bricks, woods etc.)

What I was thinking with my idea here (I'll edit it a bit more, since I was tired) is that we'll have our constructing parts separated by either resource or what it is mainly used for. (the player could pick the filter)

So here's an example if I wanted to say, make a car-like-thing:

-I'll use the metals tab and build a frame with the desired metal-like rectangular parts.
I'd use then flat-type metals for doors. Glass for windows. etc.
-Once I have the main 'frame' of my car, I'd put in the function parts that are used to make it work.
So I'd make an engine with those parts (or select the 'car engine' Tech Object if I've already made one)
and place it in my car.
-After my technical part is done, I'd finish my car off with decorational objects (chairs, paint)

Really this is a basic idea of it. It might not always go in the order of Frame>FPs>Decor; but thats what the player is for, to figure out when he/she must put in the desired parts to make that tech work.

Now you might think this idea is too complex. But really it is not. The player won't actually have to build a full on car, but just the basic parts (a frame with the doors and other shells, continuing with the engine, wheels and piping; finishing with the chairs and other asthetics).

Also, if needs be, the player will use a mannequin to see if that Tech is sizeable enough for their creature.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Thats how I always pictured it, however, instead of using premade parts, it would be done by placing stretchable geometrical objects and assigning materials to them (IE more friendly to Sketchup).
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Thats how I always pictured it, however, instead of using premade parts, it would be done by placing stretchable geometrical objects and assigning materials to them (IE more friendly to Sketchup).
Yeah, that makes more sense. We could have both though, if players like it either way.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 pm

@Scio: Other than merging structural and decoration into construction, i don't see how it could be any more like a 3d modelling program. As for function parts, those values are not defined by the player. Those are all the values that are attached to FPs. The game will need these values to know how the FPs affect the Tech Objects. It's not as simple as putting an engine in a car and telling the game "now it can drive around". I hope that clears that up.

@YB: Why do we have to define that? All we need to do is define the properties of resources in the world of the player (eg, stone-can be cut, chiseled into shape), and then the player can choose any resource and any shapes to put it into the Tech Editor. I don't understand why we need to define things like wooden panels. That would simply be the player creating slabs of material:wood that are thin and assembled one after another.

Also, are you actually expecting people to make car engines??? You say "So I'd make an engine with those parts (or select the 'car engine' Tech Object if I've already made one)", But i would expect that constructing an engine is beyond most people's general capabilities. So maybe there should simply be an FP that IS an engine? And how will paint be applied if there is only a panel for placing shapes? The player would want a simple way to apply thin, colouring material like paint.

@Keen: The only premade parts are FPs, i don't understand??? What you've outlined is how i like to imagine it.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 1:37 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
@Scio: Other than merging structural and decoration into construction, i don't see how it could be any more like a 3d modelling program. As for function parts, those values are not defined by the player. Those are all the values that are attached to FPs. The game will need these values to know how the FPs affect the Tech Objects. It's not as simple as putting an engine in a car and telling the game "now it can drive around". I hope that clears that up.

@YB: Why do we have to define that? All we need to do is define the properties of resources in the world of the player (eg, stone-can be cut, chiseled into shape), and then the player can choose any resource and any shapes to put it into the Tech Editor. I don't understand why we need to define things like wooden panels. That would simply be the player creating slabs of material:wood that are thin and assembled one after another.

Also, are you actually expecting people to make car engines??? You say "So I'd make an engine with those parts (or select the 'car engine' Tech Object if I've already made one)", But i would expect that constructing an engine is beyond most people's general capabilities. So maybe there should simply be an FP that IS an engine? And how will paint be applied if there is only a panel for placing shapes? The player would want a simple way to apply thin, colouring material like paint.

@Keen: The only premade parts are FPs, i don't understand??? What you've outlined is how i like to imagine it.

That clears things up a lot. What I'm saying here is that modeling is actually a lot easier than placing and adjusting parts in most cases. The idea of the tabs is good, but lots of people will want simplicity over form or function, so a lot of this kind of seems redundant. I'm going to put up my ideas once i sort them out.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 1:39 pm

With premade parts I was pointing to YBs "wooden panels".

Offering both FPs (valves, cylinders, gearbox, ...) and Kit Techs (Small Engine Set, Small Fueltank, ...) is going to satisfy both mainstream and hardcore players. However, constructing your own Techs from scratch would naturally be a little more effective, since you can tailor it to the enviroment you are in. Also, construction from FPs would only consist of connecting 2-6 FP types at maximum to keep it simple.

Players should be able to change FP values a bit. Either by scaling the part, or by modifiing it by the system "you can add here if you subtract there" - you might add to engine's power, but you have to lower it's torque (and vehicle max speed in result).
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
With premade parts I was pointing to YBs "wooden panels".

Offering both FPs (valves, cylinders, gearbox, ...) and Kit Techs (Small Engine Set, Small Fueltank, ...) is going to satisfy both mainstream and hardcore players. However, constructing your own Techs from scratch would naturally be a little more effective, since you can tailor it to the enviroment you are in. Also, construction from FPs would only consist of connecting 2-6 FP types at maximum to keep it simple.

Players should be able to change FP values a bit. Either by scaling the part, or by modifiing it by the system "you can add here if you subtract there" - you might add to engine's power, but you have to lower it's torque (and vehicle max speed in result).

This. The most complex TOs (engines for example), wouldn't need much work, only a player with brains.
Plus, we could have guides to making an engine/successful car, but that would only be for the very casual player.

@Scio, what exactly do you mean by modeling the parts on? Do we create the parts when we're building the Tech?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 4:50 pm

@YB In my version of the TE, you don't have "parts" except for FPs. I imagine the best way to allow a wide variety of techs is to base our TE off of an existing 3D modeling software, such as google sketchup, because players will be able to model whatever they like, as long as they know the basic tools. Also, if we were to use sketchup, we would have a large library of user-created content available in the sketchup warehouse, and many people would be familiar with the modeling system already.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 8:26 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:
This. The most complex TOs (engines for example), wouldn't need much work, only a player with brains.
Plus, we could have guides to making an engine/successful car, but that would only be for the very casual player.

@Scio, what exactly do you mean by modeling the parts on? Do we create the parts when we're building the Tech?
Still don't like this. At all. I am not making my automobiles' engines. That is what my Belgium researchers have just researched! Are you telling me they have to figure it out, and then i have to figure it out? Sense making none. And what about when we hit future techs? 'Oh, it's as simple as rearranging the superconductor alloy into a certain shape. Here's a three hour guide on how to do so.' No.

Basically, if my people have discovered the research 'Automobiles' i expect they know how to make them go.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 9:03 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
YourBreakfast wrote:

Still don't like this. At all. I am not making my automobiles' engines. That is what my Belgium researchers have just researched! Are you telling me they have to figure it out, and then i have to figure it out? Sense making none. And what about when we hit future techs? 'Oh, it's as simple as rearranging the superconductor alloy into a certain shape. Here's a three hour guide on how to do so.' No.

Basically, if my people have discovered the research 'Automobiles' i expect they know how to make them go.
QFT
However, research wouldn't go to "automobies, it would probably go to ICE, gear technology, etc, the things that go into making an automobile.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:47 am

@Alaska and Scio- Read this post:

Commander Keen wrote:

What you would want would be Kit Techs, premade Tech objects that you get when you finish the research.

Also, construction from FPs would take 1-15 minutes, based on how much you want to fiddle with the tech. It would be just 2-6 FPs at max, and the parameters would be adjusted by arrangement, scaling and the "you can add here if you subtract there" system.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:52 am

Commander Keen wrote:
@Alaska and Scio- Read this post:

What you would want would be Kit Techs, premade Tech objects that you get when you finish the research.

Also, construction from FPs would take 1-15 minutes, based on how much you want to fiddle with the tech. It would be just 2-6 FPs at max, and the parameters would be adjusted by arrangement, scaling and the "you can add here if you subtract there" system.
My point about futuristic technologies still stands. Just how will the player make a warp drive? You've given them the option to earlier, why not now?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 4:10 am

We will have to look at the Wiki for these. Warp drive.

Either a connection to very strong powersource or a battery with very high capacity. space-warping device and navigational device. Kit Tech for all of this would be Warp Drive.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
We will have to look at the Wiki for these. Warp drive.

Either a connection to very strong powersource or a battery with very high capacity. space-warping device and navigational device. Kit Tech for all of this would be Warp Drive.
That's not a bad idea, we could bundle separate FPs into larger ones, which allows a lot more flexibility, while retaining simplicity. I like this.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Well, as long as the Kits are included, i'll be fine. Carry on.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 4:56 am

We should have the option to set something as a template tech, so you can make variations on it for different companies, for example.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 4:59 am

The Uteen wrote:
We should have the option to set something as a template tech, so you can make variations on it for different companies, for example.
Actually, having slight variations is probably worth bringing up... Will it be worth having variations on techs? Will it be too taxing to remember them all?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 5:12 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Actually, having slight variations is probably worth bringing up... Will it be worth having variations on techs? Will it be too taxing to remember them all?

Not all tech need to have variations, just common things like buildings, vehicles, and spaceships, so they don't all look the same.

It wont be needed for tools, and most other techs.

A similar thing could be used for organisms too, but with changes, organisms aren't tech, after all.

EDIT: I just spotted this has actually has been mentioned before:
~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
That would not be only for buildings, but all tech objects. These styles then would be applied to procedurally generated objects.
Procedurally generating techs may be a little far fetched...

So, AI countries will use just pre-made techs? We could base it around templates, adding random variations depending on the "style" and research level of that civ. That should not be as difficult as procedural from scratch.
It does sound better- or we could consider a different approach to the TE entirely, making it more like the OE.

I don't think the variations idea came to a conclusion, though.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 6:26 am

I really think that if we're going to base this off of Google Sketchup we're going to have to do some serious modifications. I imagine each object could be crafted in-game via tools, then put together via Tech Editor, but then we'd need to have a pretty impressive physics engine. I'm talking to the level of realism. Then again, there are such programs as ZBrush and Sculptris (basically a free version of ZBrush, read about it/try it out here!) that show that it is possible to simply sculpt out an object to achieve a certain result. Thus once the user has mastered this technique they will become a virtual michelangelo!

Wait...

...that'll be even harder to program than the Tech Editor, but it will be more realistic. I mean I don't want to open an entirely new program every time I want to make a new object. But, well, maybe you could import objects from SketchUp and other programs to the game but I don't think it should be the other way. But programming the sculpting/chiseling/etcetera in-game...

/inf_loop

And what about physics? What about your object having a reaction to the ground, the buildings, transportation, decor? Collapsing towers (I know what you're thinking, but no offense is intended)? Bashing in brick walls (this is a lot more common)? How could we possibly simulate such massive physics without crashing the game, let alone having the player's framerate drop by a few dozen?

Last edited by Noitulove on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 8:51 am

@noit- everything that is in the game will behave how it is made to behave, so you could have a model of a brick wall that's just a box with a brick texture, or you could have each actual brick stacked up on top of each other. Players will probably choose the first one, unless they have a God PC. Physics will only apply in test mode, so you can build anything you like in the TE, but it has to pass inspection first to make ure it doesn't fall apart.
I know the use of an outside editor seems tedious, but the idea is to actually incorporate the sketchup editor environment into the game for the TE. It will be like opening up sketchup, but in our game window, with our part libraries, with our default tool set. It'll be a lot easier to mod Sketchup (or another modeler) into our game than to create outr own TE that's less easy to use.

@Uteen- random variations for techs sounds good, because they could be created instantaneously, but not stored. Things like tools could have low variation, while things like clothing could have very high variation.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 11:20 am

I had a similar "variants" concept in head for last two days, but always forgot to post it. Thank you for bringing it up, Uteen!

Basically in TE, users could select any already existing Tech, and create a "variant" for it. These variants would be modified versions of the parent Tech. Changes would range from different weapon loadouts on military vehicles to completly different car models, the only limit on changes would be that the Tech has to stay at least vaguely similar to the parent Tech.

The game itself would also randomly create variants based on Techs, simulating creativity of people (this would corespond to tuning cars, but also to car companies producing new car models).
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I had a similar "variants" concept in head for last two days, but always forgot to post it. Thank you for bringing it up, Uteen!

Basically in TE, users could select any already existing Tech, and create a "variant" for it. These variants would be modified versions of the parent Tech. Changes would range from different weapon loadouts on military vehicles to completly different car models, the only limit on changes would be that the Tech has to stay at least vaguely similar to the parent Tech.

The game itself would also randomly create variants based on Techs, simulating creativity of people (this would corespond to tuning cars, but also to car companies producing new car models).

So the last sentence there, you're suggesting the game auto-evos tech objects by variating and making better? That would save the player a lot of time, only needing to make the very first car and then making more car designs is optional. Very, very good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tech Editor, just my idea of it.   Tech Editor, just my idea of it. Empty

Back to top Go down

Tech Editor, just my idea of it.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next