Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+102
cyborghyena
The Creator
Halowraith1
Narstak
molden
amymist
NarotizaSquared
Aquos4
Gyrukilo
JackTheBlackWolf
Mazzy_M
Xazo-Tak
Epickitty
Rorsten594
pensist
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
jewelofleo
Falthron
Psych0Ch3f
Quasar
Armok: God of Blood
King Plorpadeus Ex
Lightning_Scarz
SuperLala
LegoHoss
Gecko
Tanglekat33
EnergyKnife
HariboTer
the froggy ninja
crovea
Linker90X
EVanimations
Evol4fire
TriggzSP
ByterranEmpire
Totemaster
Exploronaut
Jeklig
NuklearSerpent
masternetra
spacetime_dinosaur
Y. Guillemot
ThePoisonchocolate
leila777
ccarriel
Invader
ThreeCubed
meldebious
PropTheRedstoner
Glow Cloud
Seregon
Mouthwash
Captain Mcderp
IAMBEOWULF
Atrox
Doggit
Dalroc
SchrodingersKitty
alonerhapsody
Cellular Dinosaur
Silver Sterling
Spacer
Synpho Death
Raptorstorm
Zeyrock
Orygandian2
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
TheChubbyChihuahua
Shamanic W0lf
PortalFan1000
NikolaAnicic007
PerfectOrganismil
Inca
MitochondriaBox
DeanDactyl
Moterhead97
TheSmart_1
Oliveriver
ethroptur
Narnobie123
dinoman9877
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Jimexmore
WJacobC
Mixotroph
Madnesia19
Omnomnomable
Tritium
Daniferrito
~sciocont
Immortal_Dragon
untrustedlife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
Tarpy
M3rox
NickTheNick
WilliamstheJohn
106 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 am

If I remember rightly (and if it hasn't been otherwise decided on), not all of your creations will be automatically saved. Imagine if all your creature's generations were saved - there'd be so many of them and most of them would be extremely similar. Instead, if you either like your current creature or see a creature you want to save, you can fossilise it. This will mean it shows up in your own database (and the online one Jacob explained) and can be used later.

Someone correct me if this decision has been changed.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
If I remember rightly (and if it hasn't been otherwise decided on), not all of your creations will be automatically saved. Imagine if all your creature's generations were saved - there'd be so many of them and most of them would be extremely similar. Instead, if you either like your current creature or see a creature you want to save, you can fossilise it. This will mean it shows up in your own database (and the online one Jacob explained) and can be used later.

Someone correct me if this decision has been changed.
This is correct.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Didn't know if this has been discussed or already done, but what about a "liquivore" diet, as seen in the Alien Planet documentary with the daggerwrist and skewer creatures. The creature used an appendage that pierced the prey, and ended with sucking out all of the fluids.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
Didn't know if this has been discussed or already done, but what about a "liquivore" diet, as seen in the Alien Planet documentary with the daggerwrist and skewer creatures. The creature used an appendage that pierced the prey, and ended with sucking out all of the fluids.
Any type of diet is possible, so long as the diet consists of other organisms or their remains/tissues/excretions.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 am

Ok, wasn't sure where this would go to be relevant, but the misc. thread seemed the safest bet. In the Syfy original movie, Arachnoquake, giant spiders were disturbed from underground. They had been living in natural gas deposits and stored the gas in their bodies somehow, and their palps were evolved to actually ignite the gas at will, allowing them to project fire, I was wondering if this would allow a feasible fire breathing ability in thrive or not.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 10:28 am

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
Ok, wasn't sure where this would go to be relevant, but the misc. thread seemed the safest bet. In the Syfy original movie, Arachnoquake, giant spiders were disturbed from underground. They had been living in natural gas deposits and stored the gas in their bodies somehow, and their palps were evolved to actually ignite the gas at will, allowing them to project fire, I was wondering if this would allow a feasible fire breathing ability in thrive or not.
I know we've discussed firebreathing before, and i believe we came up with a good mechanism for it.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Fire-breathing spiders a go, cool.

To resurrect my unanswered question, what about cannibalism. Is that going to be left up to the player to decide a specific behavior that the AI of the player's species would emulate, or would it be in the behavior editor?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:51 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
Fire-breathing spiders a go, cool.

To resurrect my unanswered question, what about cannibalism. Is that going to be left up to the player to decide a specific behavior that the AI of the player's species would emulate, or would it be in the behavior editor?
Yeah, that's just part of the dietary AI
Back to top Go down
Mixotroph
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 10:15 pm

How will creatures that can see in other wavelengths, such as ultraviolet and infrared, be done?
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm fairly sure there's a picture on ModDB that shows this. If look it up myself but I'm on my phone.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
Mixotroph
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 10:47 pm

I think I found the picture. http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/games/1/13/12364/thumb_620x2000/rendermethodsmall.jpg

And also, what about the blood pigments, will we be able to have different blood pigments, or will they all be hemoglobin or something?

Here is a list of what I've found:

Hemoglobin
Chlorocruorin
Hemocyanin
Coboglobin (Not found in any earthly creature, made in labs, but, could work on another planet)
Hemerythrin
Pinnaglobin (Only found in the pinna genus of mollusks.)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 10:06 am

Good question. Blood color will change with the pigments used, which will change as you upgrade the efficiency of your circulatory system.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 10:59 am

Such things should be decided in the early multicellular stages i think, when you lay the basics of your systems and organs an easy solution i can think of right now is - blood color dependant on most common metal in the surroundings.
On a side note is the multicellular stage part of the microbe or the creature stage?
Back to top Go down
Mixotroph
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 12:35 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Good question. Blood color will change with the pigments used, which will change as you upgrade the efficiency of your circulatory system.

So all the pigments I said could be used?
Back to top Go down
M3rox
Newcomer
M3rox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Again I have to ask somethig: How will damage/health be handled?
I couldn't find anything about this, so I thought I should post this here.

However, these are my ideas for it:

In vehicles, every module could have it's own health points that will be added together to calculate the health of the vehicle. The health could be for example the mass in kg.

If we use the mass as health the damage a projectile does could be calculated like this:

mass (kg)*penetration (cm)

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
TheSmart_1
Newcomer
TheSmart_1

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:54 pm

today was the 3rd time I clicked on a link to mediafire and it doesn't let me download unless I join, so I click the free one but nothing happens. I clicked "join" and still nothing, And I right-clicked the free one and it said it was an IMAGE! What am I supposed to do?
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Um... Was it a thrive file on Mediafire? If not, I'm not sure what that has to do with Thrive...
I've never had a problem with having to sign up for Mediafire. Sure you're clicking the proper link and not one of the million lookalike ads they try and make you click.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 9:05 pm

M3rox wrote:
Again I have to ask somethig: How will damage/health be handled?
I couldn't find anything about this, so I thought I should post this here.

However, these are my ideas for it:

In vehicles, every module could have it's own health points that will be added together to calculate the health of the vehicle. The health could be for example the mass in kg.

If we use the mass as health the damage a projectile does could be calculated like this:

mass (kg)*penetration (cm)

What do you think?

That sounds like a very good idea. Does anyone see any problems with using mass for health? If not, I suggest we use it, and then we could model all our weapon damages accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 9:11 pm

In terms of mass=health
Sounds like a good idea to me, this coming from a gamer. My two cents.

A question
Maybe this belongs in a Space stage thread, but how is orbital bombardment going to be handled, the simplest thing I would think of would be a tag used on a TO/spaceship to designate that use.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 9:25 pm

I will say that using Mass = Health is not very realistic. A tank may be mostly intact but everything inside has been sabotaged. From a gameplay standpoint I guess it's ok, but not from a realism point of view.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 2:01 am

But the thing is, even if we don't use mass=health the internal systems of vehicles are unlikely to be simulated. As was discussed in another thread, units will have only one health mesh, so I assume it will be the same for vehicles. I'm trying to think of a simple and easy way to implement individual system malfunctions.

By this I mean each attack to a vehicle having a random chance to not destroy the vehicle but maybe just knock out the tracks, or bust the turret, or damage the engine, aka to disable the vehicle. I will be able to post more on this later when I flesh it out more, but regardless that still means no internal sabotage for vehicles, so I think mass=health is our best bet.
Back to top Go down
ethroptur
Newcomer
ethroptur

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 3:43 am

How about a "weak spot" system? Has anyone here played Star Wars: Empire at War? Well, each large starship has numerous weak points, each which represents a specific system on the ship, like the shields or the engines, and they can be individually targeted and damaged. This would take away from overall health, and if the weak spot was destroyed, that ship system (such as the weapons) would no longer function. Would it be possible to do something like that?
Back to top Go down
Moterhead97

Moterhead97

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 4:16 am

Mixotroph wrote:
I think I found the picture. http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/games/1/13/12364/thumb_620x2000/rendermethodsmall.jpg

And also, what about the blood pigments, will we be able to have different blood pigments, or will they all be hemoglobin or something?

Here is a list of what I've found:

Hemoglobin
Chlorocruorin
Hemocyanin
Coboglobin (Not found in any earthly creature, made in labs, but, could work on another planet)
Hemerythrin
Pinnaglobin (Only found in the pinna genus of mollusks.)
I've found something that might shed light on how to smooth out the genetic differences in the blood pigments
here.
It's an article about the reason why Octopods are able to survive in extreme temperatures: their blood pigment.
This blue blood pigment, hemocyanin, allows the octopods' blood to efficiently transport oxygen throughout the body in temperatures from -1°C to 30°C.

So, it is possible to judge the blood pigment a creature may have based upon the biome/climatic temperature of where they live.

This was found on July 5th.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 am

It seems only deep water marine species prefer hemocyanin as it is 1/4 as efficient as hemoglobin.
http://hemocyanin.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Hey! hey   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 12:24 am

I found this game called Natural selection : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Selection_2
It has several dynamics that could help with Hive building and Infections. Am playing it right now Maybe we could check it out,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next