Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+102
cyborghyena
The Creator
Halowraith1
Narstak
molden
amymist
NarotizaSquared
Aquos4
Gyrukilo
JackTheBlackWolf
Mazzy_M
Xazo-Tak
Epickitty
Rorsten594
pensist
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
jewelofleo
Falthron
Psych0Ch3f
Quasar
Armok: God of Blood
King Plorpadeus Ex
Lightning_Scarz
SuperLala
LegoHoss
Gecko
Tanglekat33
EnergyKnife
HariboTer
the froggy ninja
crovea
Linker90X
EVanimations
Evol4fire
TriggzSP
ByterranEmpire
Totemaster
Exploronaut
Jeklig
NuklearSerpent
masternetra
spacetime_dinosaur
Y. Guillemot
ThePoisonchocolate
leila777
ccarriel
Invader
ThreeCubed
meldebious
PropTheRedstoner
Glow Cloud
Seregon
Mouthwash
Captain Mcderp
IAMBEOWULF
Atrox
Doggit
Dalroc
SchrodingersKitty
alonerhapsody
Cellular Dinosaur
Silver Sterling
Spacer
Synpho Death
Raptorstorm
Zeyrock
Orygandian2
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
TheChubbyChihuahua
Shamanic W0lf
PortalFan1000
NikolaAnicic007
PerfectOrganismil
Inca
MitochondriaBox
DeanDactyl
Moterhead97
TheSmart_1
Oliveriver
ethroptur
Narnobie123
dinoman9877
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Jimexmore
WJacobC
Mixotroph
Madnesia19
Omnomnomable
Tritium
Daniferrito
~sciocont
Immortal_Dragon
untrustedlife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
Tarpy
M3rox
NickTheNick
WilliamstheJohn
106 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
the froggy ninja
Newcomer

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
Well, an amphibious civilization can simply work the metal above the water, so I don't understand what you're getting at.
What I am geting at is a civilization of amphibians are controlled by a player who wants an underwater civilization so after reaching a high tech level they will build an underwater base and experiment with raising the temperature of metal to it's melting point safely by measuring the temperature using their tech but raising it with metheds available to a tribal race of mermen. Then when one is found the player will show the save to the higher-ups and have the game updated.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 12:32 pm

The problem is that the approach you are talking about would have to be coded into the game before it can be used in the game. So that's why the approach needs to be brought up on this forum first. A completely underwater civilization can trade with a surface civilization and get tech that way.
Back to top Go down
the froggy ninja
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
The problem is that the approach you are talking about would have to be coded into the game before it can be used in the game. So that's why the approach needs to be brought up on this forum first. A completely underwater civilization can trade with a surface civilization and get tech that way.
I think you misunderstand. I don't want to melt the metal I just want to heat the water around it enough that were it coded in it would melt so that I can prove it's possible.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Yes, I did misunderstand, but in order to shape metal it has to be heated to temperatures where it would not only melt, but it also means the surrounding water will be heated to temperatures that would kill life around it. Tribal creatures simply won't have the technology to protect themselves from that if they could at all.

The only life that would still be safe at those temperatures would be extremophile bacteria.
Back to top Go down
the froggy ninja
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
Yes, I did misunderstand, but in order to shape metal it has to be heated to temperatures where it would not only melt, but it also means the surrounding water will be heated to temperatures that would kill life around it. Tribal creatures simply won't have the technology to protect themselves from that if they could at all.

The only life that would still be safe at those temperatures would be extremophile bacteria.
While that is true there is no harm would come to them if after they discovered this they placed it over a funnel into a mold or some other way of shaping it remotely.
Back to top Go down
PropTheRedstoner
Newcomer
PropTheRedstoner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Quick list of tiny ideas
*weather damages species depending on what kind of weather, and the species
*playing as a disease
*different planets may be easier to survive on, but have less materials for technology
*a science tech tree thing similar to the way Kerbal Space Program works
*more parts = needs more energy to function / needs to eat more food, etc.
*if the type of life on a planet is significantly different from the home planet, your species may not be able to set up a colony there
*the more foreign a disease is to your species, the worse and stranger the effects are, which could lead to something like necromorphs.
*different planets are made of different elements and compounds, so a species may not be able to develop certain technologies if they don't have any equivalent to it, E.I, a planet may not have any metals that are conductive, so electricity may not be able to be invented
*alchemy of some sorts on the tech tree?
Ok, that's all I've got for now. Feedback, anyone?
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Okay, some feedback, in order.

• I know there might be different kinds of weather implemented, but I'm not sure how much discussion it has had in its implementation.

• Diseases will be in the game, but I don't think playing as them is an option, WilliamstheJohn answered something similar earlier in the thread, to that is probably a better answer.

• There already is a Tech Tree, it is the Research Web, Nick's Devblog talks about it.

• More parts will take more energy to function, draining the hunger bar faster, larger creatures will most likely need more food as well.

• I think that is probably too complicated, and plus I think bio-domes might be implemented, so that takes care of that issue.

• I can't answer on foreign diseases.

• I'm not sure there would or wouldn't be planets that are that different, so I don't think I can answer on that.

• Alchemy, what do you mean by that?

EDIT: I just had another thought.

Could a creature, through a combination of strong enough jaws, strong stomach acid, as well as acidic saliva, be made to have the ability to digest stones and other minerals? In addition to eating whatever other diet such as carnivore, herbivore, or even omnivore.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 12:05 pm

I can answer a few questions.

Would this not make them a 'picavore' (spelled incorrectly)
(this has not been discussed and is a great question, how would they fit into any niches?)

Diseases as of right now, have been discussed however in the civ stage, we may abstract it out.
(this means the statistics of your different population centers take into account disease so it isn't a real thing)

Yes there will be different planets however , until we have the terrestrial game all figured out we won't have life on gas giants.
Yes planets will have temperature and weather, for the player to adapt to.And yes water planets are a possibility.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 1:49 pm

When I googled that it came up with piscivore, and that means it eats fish.

How something that eats rocks fits into a niche, well, it would be more adapted to living maybe in a cave where there would be a lot of its food around, or around cliffs.

Combined with an herbivore diet it could eat rocks with plants like moss growing on them. Or it could even replace an herbivore in a cave environment if there are enough of them. Aside from that I can't think of any other niches it could fit in due to it being such a specialized diet.
Back to top Go down
Tanglekat33

Tanglekat33

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 4:09 pm

(I'm sorry if this idea has been suggested before, its just that this thread is so very long.)
Is there going to be seasons in thrive? And for that matter, years? I don't know much about programming, but seasons for each biome sounds like it will be hard, but I only ask because there has been some mention of hibernation. And if there are years, how is it going to work, or at least how is it planning on working since each planet in the universe doesn't have the same amount of days. For that matter, how is time going to work on each planet? Will it be all the same on every planet or will days last longer on some and shorter on others?
Just wondering...
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 4:15 pm

For the Aware Stage and all that, the year for a planet will be about four days, to better simulate evolution over millions of years. I believe as the creatures evolve into sapience that is scaled back up to be longer since it will be simulating smaller intervals.

Seasons, that I have no knowledge of.

EDIT: Also look to untrustedlife's post on this page to get a few answers.
Back to top Go down
PropTheRedstoner
Newcomer
PropTheRedstoner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Alchemy would basically be a way to bypass a planet not having metals or elements that certain technologies might need
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Okay, I can't speak for the devs on this, but how would you go about implementing Alchemy?
Back to top Go down
PropTheRedstoner
Newcomer
PropTheRedstoner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 9:14 pm

I don't know, it would just be something on the tech tree that would negate not having the proper planet composition to create a certain technology.

Hey, maybe that's our solution to underwater civilizations.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Okay, so it's that simple.

The problem for underwater civilization tech advancing, it wasn't so much materials, it was capability that was the problem. How would Alchemy solve the problem of getting metal to melt and be shaped underwater, where heat from smelting would warm the water around it to dangerous levels?
Back to top Go down
PropTheRedstoner
Newcomer
PropTheRedstoner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 9:26 pm

My idea was that with alchemy you could just magic the metal out of ore/into a shape
Back to top Go down
EVanimations
Newcomer
EVanimations

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Magic? I dunno...

An aquatic race could be helped by benevolent aliens, or find a way to venture onto land to forge metals, maybe using surface tension bubbles?
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 9:50 pm

As far as my chemistry knowledge goes, there really isn't any chemical way to make metal change shape, so there is no way to magic a metal into shape without melting it with heat.

@EVanimations

What you are describing is uplifting and simply being amphibious, making metals on the surface is fine, just a fully aquatic race would most likely not be able to handle getting close enough to the forge for it to work. Without protection, and even then, it is still being amphibious.

Plus surface civilizations can actually trade with aquatic ones, hopefully.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Immortal, you said what I was going to say. XD

But there's no viable way for them to smelt metals. Where would they even find the metals? Any rock near or underwater, and especially in direct contact with the water, never seem to have any valuable metals in them.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Somehow, I knew you were going to say something dinoman, nothing bad I assure you.

Yes, I believe I said something to the effect of no viable way to smelt metals, I know it is in this thread somewhere. :scratch: 

Finding them, they could trade for them with surface civilizations, what they would do with them I don't know, they could just trade for the weapons themselves, since Nick I believe answered that TOs from other civs can be picked up and used, just you don't have the capability to make more.

Basically, underwater civs would just be bound to the stone age, or whatever the underwater equivalent is.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Newcomer
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 1:03 am

In the aware stage can you play as a parasite like tapeworms, fleas, or ticks. And can are you able to be a creature that would only drink blood like a leech? Sorry if this has been answered already.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 1:36 am

Gecko wrote:
In the aware stage can you play as a parasite like  tapeworms, fleas, or ticks. And can are you able to be a creature that would only drink blood like a leech? Sorry if this has been answered already.
1.I think that can be possible in multicellular stagem not sure.
2. Maybe.
Back to top Go down
DeanDactyl
Newcomer
DeanDactyl

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 8:18 am

Hi! I've got two simple little questions...
1-Something like the Blob be a sentient organism?
2-If it is, will it be implemented?
Oh, and last question, i'm learning on how to make stuff in blender, if i manage to do something where do i post it?
Thanks in advance! :) 
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 8:27 am

@Gecko and WilliamstheJohn

I think ~scio answered a similar question of mine in terms of diet, when I asked about a liquivore diet, that it should be possible with the OE, so a sanguivore (feeds on blood) should be possible with it too.

@DeanDactyl

The Blob seems like a bit of a stretch for sentience, I don't think it has had discussion.

In terms of blender, there is a concept art thread you may post it on.

EDIT: I have a question of my own. Will vehicles just work universally over terrain, when talking about land vehicles that don't hover in some way. Will it require treads to get over some terrains that wheeled vehicles just won't be able to traverse? I understand that universal traction might be easier, but I would prefer to make vehicles for different terrains.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
@Gecko and WilliamstheJohn]
EDIT: I have a question of my own. Will vehicles just work universally over terrain, when talking about land vehicles that don't hover in some way. Will it require treads to get over some terrains that wheeled vehicles just won't be able to traverse? I understand that universal traction might be easier, but I would prefer to make vehicles for different terrains.
The original build probably wouldn't have this feature, but on a thread (I forgot which), different angles, and ultimately different frictions could be applied to different terrain types if we ever get the chance to get to the point of implementing something like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 27 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 26 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next