Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+102
cyborghyena
The Creator
Halowraith1
Narstak
molden
amymist
NarotizaSquared
Aquos4
Gyrukilo
JackTheBlackWolf
Mazzy_M
Xazo-Tak
Epickitty
Rorsten594
pensist
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
jewelofleo
Falthron
Psych0Ch3f
Quasar
Armok: God of Blood
King Plorpadeus Ex
Lightning_Scarz
SuperLala
LegoHoss
Gecko
Tanglekat33
EnergyKnife
HariboTer
the froggy ninja
crovea
Linker90X
EVanimations
Evol4fire
TriggzSP
ByterranEmpire
Totemaster
Exploronaut
Jeklig
NuklearSerpent
masternetra
spacetime_dinosaur
Y. Guillemot
ThePoisonchocolate
leila777
ccarriel
Invader
ThreeCubed
meldebious
PropTheRedstoner
Glow Cloud
Seregon
Mouthwash
Captain Mcderp
IAMBEOWULF
Atrox
Doggit
Dalroc
SchrodingersKitty
alonerhapsody
Cellular Dinosaur
Silver Sterling
Spacer
Synpho Death
Raptorstorm
Zeyrock
Orygandian2
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
TheChubbyChihuahua
Shamanic W0lf
PortalFan1000
NikolaAnicic007
PerfectOrganismil
Inca
MitochondriaBox
DeanDactyl
Moterhead97
TheSmart_1
Oliveriver
ethroptur
Narnobie123
dinoman9877
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Jimexmore
WJacobC
Mixotroph
Madnesia19
Omnomnomable
Tritium
Daniferrito
~sciocont
Immortal_Dragon
untrustedlife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
Tarpy
M3rox
NickTheNick
WilliamstheJohn
106 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Psych0Ch3f
Newcomer
Psych0Ch3f

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Ok guys (immortal and gecko and others), whats the point of asking such detailed questions for such future stages. Right now if you havent noticed, its the microbe stage, and our focus is to get a release of that sometime early 2014. I understand youre all curious but it's getting to a point of being distracting and pointless.
And please can we make sure to READ EVERY SINGLE POST REGARDING THE TOPIC BEFORE YOU MAKE POSTS. This is like standard of every other forum out there. Like theres something called  "SEARCH" function, and these forums are quite organized, and even last resort you dont know where to find a topic (which PROBABLY EXISTS, since thrive is quite an aged forum) just pm a more knowledgeable person.
Let's keep this thread limited to miscellaneous things that actually **relate to the game's progress**
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs and Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Ok, I am WELL aware of things that are going on chef and have been for some time. It causes no harm to the project if I ask things about the future, devs like Nick and ~scio are patient and answer things like this and direct others to threads where they can find their answers, it is a standard I try to follow myself. If these questions were going to do harm to the project, I would assume someone of their authority would let me know of this.
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 10:40 pm

we should have a "common asked questions" thread. so we can just show it to people so they dont have to ask repeated questions (specially the underwater civilizations belgium).

why? because no one would read the whole topic, its too long
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 10:48 pm

https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t692-important-read-before-posting

EDIT: No, I was showing to penumbra that there already is a FAQ thread.

Last edited by NickTheNick on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Yes, I understand, my apologies, that was unprofessional of me, and again I am sorry. :oops: :(  :oops:

EDIT: 350th post, new avatar, yay.

Last edited by Immortal_Dragon on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Psych0Ch3f
Newcomer
Psych0Ch3f

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:

1. Will creatures in the aware stage be able to develop scars or other markings like that?
This is just as pointless as asking if creatures in the aware stage can find marijuana plants and have a few tokes. Maybe the game can then enter a "high" mode with really chill music and everything looks like flowers.
I feel since this is a development forum, a lot more effort should be put into developing the current project. If you have the choice of developing the current microbe stage or spending time making the much more complicated formulas for later stages, which would you choose? A lot of details in the future stages are probably subject to change after the initial release, since there may be a huge influx of activity and ideas coming in. There's very little point in asking very detailed questions of the future stages. Questions are always good, but what good does it do to know "how fast a creature can be" (which is 35.62 km/h) when you can just go to the forum and see that it applies to locomotion, which is probably going to be quite complicated.
You aren't doing any harm to the project, but you aren't doing any good either!
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Psych0Ch3f wrote:
Immortal_Dragon wrote:

1. Will creatures in the aware stage be able to develop scars or other markings like that?
This is just as pointless as asking if creatures in the aware stage can find marijuana plants and have a few tokes. Maybe the game can then enter a "high" mode with really chill music and everything looks like flowers.
I feel since this is a development forum, a lot more effort should be put into developing the current project. If you have the choice of developing the current microbe stage or spending time making the much more complicated formulas for later stages, which would you choose? A lot of details in the future stages are probably subject to change after the initial release, since there may be a huge influx of activity and ideas coming in. There's very little point in asking very detailed questions of the future stages. Questions are always good, but what good does it do to know "how fast a creature can be" (which is 35.62 km/h) when you can just go to the forum and see that it applies to locomotion, which is probably going to be quite complicated.
I find that very derogatory and insulting language chef. I thought you were more reasonable than this. :no: I was trying to apologize for my answering post, I think I may come to regret even trying.
Back to top Go down
Psych0Ch3f
Newcomer
Psych0Ch3f

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 11:25 pm

That was not derogatory and insulting. I was trying to be tactful on my part.
Don't be dramatic. Look, we are both here for the same purpose, to help turn thrive into an actual game, not an idea. My criticism of your post (and the posts of others) is to help thrive become a reality. So let's work on being efficient.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Ok, what about this:

Psych0Ch3f wrote:
And this:

Psych0Ch3f wrote:
How am I and others supposed to find statements like these tactful?

Indeed, we are all here for the same purpose, that is not up for debate here. Stating my own opinions on things is not being dramatic, okay, maybe a little, I'll admit. Criticism is supposed to give a direction for the criticized to improve, so far, I have not received any such impression from your posts, only that my posts and those of others aren't actually doing any good. You say the curiosity is getting to be distracting and pointless, how is that actually going to help anyone, you point out the various functions of the website as if we were children, not once did you actually give a direction we could possibly improve on, only stating that it should pertain to the current project or be relevant.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 am

Okay guys, don't get too hostile here.

On the one hand, pyschochef, please avoid the sarcasm in your posts. On the other hand, it is true that many questions on this thread are excessively detailed and insignificant. As psycho said, the answers to these questions don't even matter because they are most likely going to change as the time comes to approach the issue. Many of the questions that are asked can be answered by contents within the forum or wiki, or are really something that is not known at this point in the development.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Let there be calm amongst us. This thread is to bring up questions we have of the game, not insult each other. That's what Youtube is for.

Psycho, I believe sarcasm is a beautiful thing but you were borderline insulting. At least Immortal was asking a question and not wasting time writing derogatory remarks.

Immortal, I believe that they won't focus on physical features like that. I don't think it's programmed so you will see the same creature twice, it would be very unlikely at least, unless you were following the thing. Even then, I think that scars would be a temporary thing for the idea of showing the damage that any certain part of your creature has taken, the scars showing that there's only a little damage, or that more severe damage has healed.

My question is in reference to feeding, on multiple levels.

My first question starts with grazing animals. Grass. Wouldn't you technically be able to just eat no matter where you went, if you had the ability to eat the types of grass available? (For instance, an example in Africa: wildebeests can eat the sharp, tough tops of grass shoots, but don't focus on eating it all. Zebras can eat the midsections of the grass, but don't focus on the shoots near the ground, which gazelles eat.) So how would you be able to direct your creature to eat, without your screen being full of notices of there being food?

I think browsers aren't as hard to figure, and neither are carnivores.

But I do have a question in reference to all of them, will there be physical evidence that something has been fed off of? Will there be trails in the grass where grazers have mowed it down? Will there possibly be whole branches off of a tree where a browser had been looking for leaves? And the big one, will the carcasses be literally torn apart by a hungry carnivore?

I know we want this to be realistic, and that's hard to do with some programming and/or machine restrictions, but there's even blood baths in nature, and this game wasn't meant to be exactly child friendly. One thing that was a disappointment in Spore was that you just ate off of a dead thing three times and then it faded into oblivion (or 20 times or so off of an epic creature before it too disappeared). In the 2005 demonstration, it appeared you could feed perpetually from one carcass with only having to worry something bigger coming to check it out.

I just think it would be nice just to see how much was left of a carcass when you: A. Found it. Or B. Are done eating from it. It will let you feel the disappointment of you finding it too late. Maybe I'm overestimating technology and even our coders. I know that not every little realistic detail in the real world can be put into a video game. I think that would even kill a computer at NASA.

Anyway, this is the guy who makes everything too realistic talking. Continue on.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:16 pm

dinoman9877 wrote:
Let there be calm amongst us. This thread is to bring up questions we have of the game, not insult each other. That's what Youtube is for.

Psycho, I believe sarcasm is a beautiful thing but you were borderline insulting. At least Immortal was asking a question and not wasting time writing derogatory remarks.

Immortal, I believe that they won't focus on physical features like that. I don't think it's programmed so you will see the same creature twice, it would be very unlikely at least, unless you were following the thing. Even then, I think that scars would be a temporary thing for the idea of showing the damage that any certain part of your creature has taken, the scars showing that there's only a little damage, or that more severe damage has healed.
Please don't carry this on. And no, scars will not even exist temporarily, just like cuts, bruises, wrinkles, or any other insignificant skin features will not be included. It wouldn't even be practical to expect that.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:18 pm

To give you a partial answer to your question dinoman, I believe Nick told me dismemberment is likely during feeding during the aware stage at least, not so much combat itself. Aside from that I have nothing.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Newcomer
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Will we have metabolic classifications for organisms such as photoautotroph, chemoautotroph, photoheterotroph, and chemoheterotroph?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:25 pm

If an organism's mouth allows them to eat it, then they can eat it. If their digestive system allows them to digest it, then they can digest it. Anything else either can't be eaten or becomes waste.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 9:15 pm

I actually have a microbe stage question this time:

*Is there some sort of function for determining the speed conveyed by movement parts such as cilia and flagella?

*Also, how are cells supposed to be expected to find food, those that engulf other cells in particular, since the light-eaters and heat-eaters can just sense what they need.

Aside, whenever PortalFan1000 has posted on a thread I am watching, I don't receive a notification, is there some reason for this?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:03 pm

*That is one of the features yet to be determined.

*Glucose will be found free-floating in the environment, which the cell can use for glycolysis or cellular respiration.

I don't know why such a thing would be happening, but I don't think it's important because I use the Recent Topics list anyway.
Back to top Go down
Psych0Ch3f
Newcomer
Psych0Ch3f

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 am

Quite the good question there concerning flagellum Dragon.
From my biochem knowledge, pretty much Flagellum gets you linear 2d movement (either propeller or beating motion) and cilia with basic 3d movement (power and recovery motion). Flagellum need to be pointing in same direction btw or you get circular motion (no actual net movement)
heres the biology/math behind it. You dont need to know this but I'd like to share for those of you actually interested.
Spoiler:

Basically more flagellum is higher max speed, and the more ATP available to that flagellum means more acceleration.
When i mean ATP availability (if you didnt read my long explanation) I just mean that flagella have very small SA inside the cell to actually hydrolisize the ATP, which means something like the nucleus will probably get ATP first, and flagella get the leftovers. We need to make sure to factor that into the equation, otherwise in moving a cell, you may end up using too much ATP just to accelerate faster and deprive other cells. OR. we could actually completely ignore that factor and just do the basic
# of flagellum  ∝ Max Speed ; where acceleration is constant. (and ATP used is the same possibility as any other organelle, which means we notice ATP usage linearly proportional to the movement)

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
dinoman wrote:
... not insult each other. That's what Youtube is for.
made me chuckle. kinda true. except bob's army is taking over.
dinoman wrote:

1. You do not know what borderline insulting sarcasm is. I will refrain from using that, dont worry.
2. "Immortal was asking a question" and "not wasting time " . No I think we clearly established that some of the questions that have been posted have been very ludicrous and unnecessary. such as: with grazing animals. Grass.  You yourself even mentioned it was unnecessary, yet you still posted it. Even a spoiler would have made it better (like i did with my semi-unecessary but educational post here) BUT i have to say im impressed with immortals latest question, it actually is something that needs to be discussed! (this is in a non sarcastic tone)
3. I cannot criticize a post that has nothing to be criticized on. If you post something that actually doesnt contribute to the project, the only criticism i can direct is towards the author, since he/she could be dedicating their efforts to the more dire areas of need in the forum.
Let's not talk about this anymore. Lets discuss flagellum, theyre much more interesting.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 pm

True, and very good explanation chef. I don't like bob's army either. Also, Nick called for a halt of that particular discussion, it is over, done with, in the past, hakuna matata if you will.

But also, these movement organelles will have their own ATP requirements as well, flagella are on the higher end of the scale speed wise, but they will also require more ATP than cilia or the pseudopod, so this is probably why we don't see cells with more than one or even two in life.

The way they scale is this if I am remembering correctly.

*the flagella will provide the strongest speed boost, but it is ATP-intensive to use

*the pseudopod is the slowest, but it is the most energy efficient choice

*the cilia is the middle piece, it is moderately fast while not as intensive as flagella but not as efficient as the pseudopod

In addition, I don't know what other functions the mitochondria will have aside from cellular respiration in Thrive, whether they will act as ATP factories or not.
Back to top Go down
Psych0Ch3f
Newcomer
Psych0Ch3f

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Psych0Ch3f wrote:
Let's not talk about this anymore
You missed the last sentence dragon =)

I feel that explanation for flagellum cilia and pseudopods is probably generally correct but too generalized.
BUT flagella are often found in large groups
Spoiler:
note that C just spins around (opposing flagella)
so multi flagella-bacteria are quite well known.
I dont know how it would be playing a pseudopod though. like you move at painful speeds, dont you? and your movement is completely controlled by a different process than cilia and flagellum, so i guess its efficient... I'm not knowledgeable enough on that.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 1:27 pm

You're absolutely right, I did miss the last sentence. :lol: 

A pseudopod moves around with the actual cytoplasm of the cell pushing and flowing through to stretch the cell membrane, so I am not sure how this will be implemented in Thrive's editors.

Playing as one, you will pretty much have to have abundant food around you, since you will be slow as heck, or develop some kind of ambush, such as excreting chemicals to attract your food (EDIT: or like my amoeba on the concept race thread, bioluminescence).

The thing is though, we aren't talking about bacteria, we are talking about eukaryote cells, since the differences between the two has been determined to be too complex at this point, I think.

How these could be more specific, I have no idea at the moment, your equations seem sound to me.
Back to top Go down
Psych0Ch3f
Newcomer
Psych0Ch3f

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Ok I didnt use the proper example there with flagella.
Pretty much theres nothing stopping you from having multiple flagellum (and there are eukaryotic cells with that behaviour im sure) but i would really have an impact on ATP consumption. Only good part is you move fast and in a straight line.
In contrast cilia are like mega agile, (extremely co-ordinated) , and can actually be used to make a current to drag food in.
Watch this video if you want to see cool videos of them in action:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 10:35 pm

Cool video, but one of the things I noticed is that those cells are absolutely covered in cilia to achieve that feat, and from an editing perspective, I am sure players would want to achieve this, so how do we go about that? Do we make this cilia covering just a one-shot deal, one cost for one organelle that only has one cost to run, or do we make patches of them that can stack effects and costs?

The same thing with pseudopods, in my opinion I think just putting it as a one-shot would be all the effect it needs, which would naturally put it ahead of flagella at least in energy efficiency.

Flagellum, I completely agree. So, flagella can be the organelle that is good for fast straight line travel, cilia are for agility, and pseudopod is just plain slow, what benefit would there really be for choosing it then from a player's perspective?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 2:22 am

Pseudopodia refers simply to a cell that moves on its own accord, changing its shape to propel forwards. It is not placed or evolved, its simply the default. Cilia are placed in patches, one hex each, along the membrane, while flagellum are placed individually per hex.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 6:06 pm

I have one other question.

There were two things (amongst others) that bothered me about Spore.
A: How limited the flight was, and how ridiculous it could be. If you didn't have good jumping mixed with the good wings, you didn't fly far, and you had to land after a while because you couldn't continuously flap them, or even glide CORRECTLY.

B. Last I checked, bird's have toes that work like our fingers, but not in Spore, apparently. That just bugged me, mostly because you can't be like a hawk or owl, swooping down and grabbing your prey, you have to go through that crap combat, as always.

My question is if the feet of our creatures can double as grasping appendages, if designed correctly. I asked if prey could be grabbed and carried off before, and was told yes, but I assume that the person who answered thought the prey would be grabbed by the mouth, or in the hands of the creature if they had any at that point. I know that the flying will be less restricted. (How little restriction I am very desperate to see. Of course my testing will result in a lot of crash landings but it's for the good of my gameplay experience!)

Anyway, I'm just asking in case I don't want to force my creature to have a separate pair of arms. As I've said, I'm not going to be playing past the multicellular stages a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 33 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 33 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next