Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
The official military topic - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

The official military topic

Go down 
+7
The Uteen
eumesmo
toxiciron
US_of_Alaska
Tenebrarum
Xenopologist
Commander Keen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

The official military topic - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:46 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Yes, but what about a city-ship that has weapons? Even if just for self-defence, this idea proves to be rather difficult to concept.

Normal SCs have fortifications as well. It would be just a giant TO that has an SC attached to it. SC doesn't always have to have houses and such, does it?
It just has to have a certain population density. However, it may be difficult to designate a moving object as an SC... I hadn't thought about that...
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:48 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
However, it may be difficult to designate a moving object as an SC... I hadn't thought about that...

If we want all possibilities, such as nomadic towns or those cityships, we will have to include it somehow. I don't think there would be any problems gameplay wise, just the coding might be quite a lot harder...
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
However, it may be difficult to designate a moving object as an SC... I hadn't thought about that...

If we want all possibilities, such as nomadic towns or those cityships, we will have to include it somehow. I don't think there would be any problems gameplay wise, just the coding might be quite a lot harder...
Nomadic towns would be too small to be classed as an SC, wouldn't it? And maybe we could just have the ability to check TOs with 'Society Centre' after a certain research.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 5:05 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Nomadic towns would be too small to be classed as an SC, wouldn't it?

Depends on how the game is played. If your nation is nomadic long enough, it's clans/tribes may grow without splitting. I guess you could have about 1000 members in biggest tribes, enough for SCs I think.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
And maybe we could just have the ability to check TOs with 'Society Centre' after a certain research.

Good idea for TO-SCs. Now, we just need the research. What about Advanced Life Support?

Also, nomadic SCs still need to be thought out. Maybe the original SC is destroyed every time they move?
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 5:25 pm

What if the SC designation is based on the density of both organisms and TOs? That would cover nomadic societies that take their weapons and such with them as well as massive, moving structures that happen to house large numbers of organisms.
Back to top Go down
toxiciron
Newcomer
toxiciron

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm

i'm pretty sure that a moving SC could be implemented in coding easily, it's just coding how it moves automatically that would be difficult, and how the looks would change while it's moving, etc.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 2:40 am

Commander Keen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Nomadic towns would be too small to be classed as an SC, wouldn't it?

Depends on how the game is played. If your nation is nomadic long enough, it's clans/tribes may grow without splitting. I guess you could have about 1000 members in biggest tribes, enough for SCs I think.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
And maybe we could just have the ability to check TOs with 'Society Centre' after a certain research.

Good idea for TO-SCs. Now, we just need the research. What about Advanced Life Support?

Also, nomadic SCs still need to be thought out. Maybe the original SC is destroyed every time they move?
I think maybe Orbital Cities would be better.

I do not believe this is feasible. By definition, a nomadic tribe has no specific Society Centre.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:

But they would not always orbit planets, think of colony ships.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I do not believe this is feasible. By definition, a nomadic tribe has no specific Society Centre.

Maybe no stable SC, but when they stop somewhere for 5 years, erecting a temporary city, they should get an SC, even if it would be destroyed later. Also, how would you control the nation if it had no SCs?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

But they would not always orbit planets, think of colony ships.

US_of_Alaska wrote:

Maybe no stable SC, but when they stop somewhere for 5 years, erecting a temporary city, they should get an SC, even if it would be destroyed later. Also, how would you control the nation if it had no SCs?
Well then maybe just Space Cities or something. I don't think advanced life support would allow you to make an SC on a large TO.

The thing with nomads is that they go where the food is. That means they move around from season to season. They don't generally stay put for 5 years. And you would control it the same way you control it before SCs, through directly instructing each unit what to do. And research would be done by selecting someone and then choosing to interact: examine a related resource inter: research on related building.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:17 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Well then maybe just Space Cities or something. I don't think advanced life support would allow you to make an SC on a large TO.

No offense, but Space Cities sounds just as horrible as Advanced Life Support .

US_of_Alaska wrote:
The thing with nomads is that they go where the food is. That means they move around from season to season. They don't generally stay put for 5 years. And you would control it the same way you control it before SCs, through directly instructing each unit what to do. And research would be done by selecting someone and then choosing to interact: examine a related resource inter: research on related building.

Neolithic people did it, they stopped in an area for a few years, built a temporary town and exploited any fertile ground and accessible resources they could find, and then traveled another twenty or so kilometers away. Then they built a new town, exploited the area, moved, built new town again, ...

Also, the problem with ordering each unit manually is that units are too numerous in later ages and it has to happen indenpedently (not every town will be built by player).

How would criminality, happinnes and such things be handled without SCs?
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:40 pm

that is a tough question, though i belive pickpocketing was not a issue in the neolithic

bout that, the "space building" tech should allow for a increase of the max size in each level ( i want to make a dyson sphere !!!!)
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 2:27 am

Commander Keen wrote:
No offense, but Space Cities sounds just as horrible as Advanced Life Support .
Was hoping that was just me being picky... We'll keep thinking and once i get up to that point in the Research Tree we'll really worry.
[quote="Commander Keen"Neolithic people did it, they stopped in an area for a few years, built a temporary town and exploited any fertile ground and accessible resources they could find, and then traveled another twenty or so kilometers away. Then they built a new town, exploited the area, moved, built new town again, ...

Also, the problem with ordering each unit manually is that units are too numerous in later ages and it has to happen indenpedently (not every town will be built by player).

How would criminality, happinnes and such things be handled without SCs?[/quote]
I guess we could have a big red button that destroys SCs, then. If that's what's needed.

But in later ages you will have SCs???

Happiness would be measured in the individual units, using environmental factors like TOs that are around that add happiness, how much food is available, how many deaths are occuring, etc.

Crime and instability are a trickier market. I don't think there is a need to have them in non-SCs, personally. On this level the player would directly control their tribe's nation anyways.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 5:47 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Was hoping that was just me being picky... We'll keep thinking and once i get up to that point in the Research Tree we'll really worry.

I'm like that all the time, I just didn't have much chance to show it yet.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I guess we could have a big red button that destroys SCs, then. If that's what's needed.

This is a good idea, not so much for nomading, but it might be useful for evacuation and such.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
But in later ages you will have SCs???

Depends on how your nation will develop. In a resource poor area or planet, staying in one place might not be the best strategy.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Happiness would be measured in the individual units, using environmental factors like TOs that are around that add happiness, how much food is available, how many deaths are occuring, etc.

But if you have a whole nation nomading, that would mean you have tens of thousands units and each has it's individual happiness, thats going to be though both for computer and the game.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Crime and instability are a trickier market. I don't think there is a need to have them in non-SCs, personally. On this level the player would directly control their tribe's nation anyways.

See previous two arguments.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 11:43 am

if you have a pop of over 100 units, even if not an SC, they should be a Emotion amalgam, this could also work with armies and not only nomads, but, what i mean, is that if there are x units in a certain area of the same nation, the computer would process their feelings as a group (but not necessarly their actions )
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
This is a good idea, not so much for nomading, but it might be useful for evacuation and such.
Why not for nomading? I still think it's a good idea if you are really spending five years in one place and then migrating.

Commander Keen wrote:
Depends on how your nation will develop. In a resource poor area or planet, staying in one place might not be the best strategy.
I really don't believe that a nation that is nomadic will ever reach the stage of development that is necessary for a large empire.

Commander Keen wrote:
But if you have a whole nation nomading, that would mean you have tens of thousands units and each has it's individual happiness, thats going to be though both for computer and the game.
Eumesmo's idea is best, but i don't see what's wrong with temporary SCs.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

Nomadic nations don't have to develop to large empires. Having ten or so clans, each having their own SC, is going to be a nightmare if he has to micromanage it all personally. That's also the reason why the big red button isn't going to work for nomading.

Edit: Wow, this is the second off-topic page in this thread. Moving SCs really deserve their own topic.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 7:24 pm

erm, apart from what i said, nomadic sc could work like cityships. while on the move a cityship is still a city right? and on the move the nomads will still trade and such
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 9:04 pm

ya, i know, i was establishing a connection between nomads and city ships (they were refered somewhere )
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 7:07 pm

eumesmo wrote:
ya, i know, i was establishing a connection between nomads and city ships (they were refered somewhere )
As in carry on the conversation here in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 8:55 pm

So back on topic

Are we going to be able to assign behaiviors for unit types?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 3:10 am

Tenebrarum wrote:

Yes, as long as it's not going to be anything extra complex. Default behaviours could be set in TE, but we also need a way to override it on the battlefield. Right now I'm thinking of a Warzone 2100 like doubleclick menu.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 9:12 am

Commander Keen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

Yes, as long as it's not going to be anything extra complex. Default behaviours could be set in TE, but we also need a way to override it on the battlefield. Right now I'm thinking of a Warzone 2100 like doubleclick menu.

Don't know it.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Right now I'm thinking of a Warzone 2100 like doubleclick menu.

Don't know it.

I thought so. Right now I'm trying to find a suitable screenshot where the menu is open and readable.

Edit: Look at the top-left menu. The screen isn't the best quality, but it's the best I could find..

http://blog.warzone2100.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/interview-betawidget-bild-2.png
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I thought so. Right now I'm trying to find a suitable screenshot where the menu is open and readable.

Edit: Look at the top-left menu. The screen isn't the best quality, but it's the best I could find..

http://blog.warzone2100.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/interview-betawidget-bild-2.png

Not sure how it would work, but if we can, coolio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The official military topic   The official military topic - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The official military topic
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next