Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Nation Editor Wrap-Up

Go down 
+7
Dr_Chillgood
Commander Keen
The Uteen
eumesmo
2creator
Tenebrarum
US_of_Alaska
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Oh! I just realized! Where are the TOs here? As in, where to we assign them?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
You mean how do you assign a TO to a certain religion? I was assuming it would be done through the Tech Editor. Eg. TO Name: Alaskanian Temple, Tags: Building, Religion:(Alaskanian).
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 11:59 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
You mean how do you assign a TO to a certain religion? I was assuming it would be done through the Tech Editor. Eg. TO Name: Alaskanian Temple, Tags: Building, Religion:(Alaskanian).

No, as in, where do we assign certain buildings, vehicles, etc to be in the list of things the AI will produce?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

No, as in, where do we assign certain buildings, vehicles, etc to be in the list of things the AI will produce?
I don't understand. When would you control the AI? By definition, you don't.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 7:26 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:

Where do you select the TOs your nation will use?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Where do you select the TOs your nation will use?
Almost a year and we never resolved this, did we?

I was assuming that rather than having to produce each and every TO in your nation by hand, there would be some kind of menu somewhere for you to assign what TOs you want to fulfill what roles.

Ex.: "I want my governors to use this TO for my tractors rather than that one."

It's just a little thing, for the sake of aesthetic consistency. I'd assume it would fit in the Production Heading.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Hrm. Perhaps this should be a selection in the Nation Editor. The list which holds all of your curently used TOs can have a tickbox next to it to make the AI give preference to the selected TOs. If there is no selected TO, the governors of cities will automatically choose one based on some sort of equation that takes into account the resources needed, the resources available and the tech level.

Tech Level + (Resources Available - Resources Needed) = Viability of TO

The above equation would give preference to something with a high FP level, while also giving preference to TOs that will leave the SC in surplus.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 12:37 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tech Level + (Resources Available - Resources Needed) = Viability of TO
How do we determine the tech level? The mean FP advanced-ness of the FPs on the TO? Or just use the most advanced FP?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Average of all FPs used I think.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

Sounds good.

This would also be used for things like military uniforms. Wait though... Liveries sorta throw a wrench into that... Could we have multiple TOs in preference perhaps?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

Sounds good.

This would also be used for things like military uniforms. Wait though... Liveries sorta throw a wrench into that... Could we have multiple TOs in preference perhaps?
What are liveries? And sure, that would lead to the SC running the preference equation through it and coming up with the best solution locally.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:13 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

Sounds good.

What are liveries? And sure, that would lead to the SC running the preference equation through it and coming up with the best solution locally.
Through most of history, armies were volunteer armies or drafted, rather than professional standing ones. Rather than pay for uniforms, they'd have people come up with their own, according to whatever colors/badges/whatevers they needed for appropriate identification. There was a while during the 1300s in England, London especially, where pretty much every organization started to try and get their members to wear liveries. It failed pretty fast. The guilds pushed it really hard for a while though. It's sorta like how nowadays you'll find all sorts of organizations with slogans, even when they're not the the sort of things that need one.

Anyways.

Liveries = cheap, homemade, uniforms. Lotsa variation from one to the next.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Quick question: Do we have anything on how language should work?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Dr_Chillgood wrote:
Oh Zarquon...

We've been arguing over that for so long. We want to have something more involved than sitting and waiting for translation, but we can't think of what.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Well language is based off of necessity, and is defined/change as its people are. <just a key point. I was just curious to know what we had on it due to a class in my school today and sense we haven't really an Organism editor (or more importantly organism parts for it yet) I'm not going to touch it.

Edit: (OT But speaking of the OE we have 3 programmers one of which can do modeling, how is the OE going and how can I help out if at all?)
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 pm

I think the OE is the next thing to do after we have a playable part of the game done other than the menu.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Dr_Chillgood wrote:
Oh Zarquon...

We've been arguing over that for so long. We want to have something more involved than sitting and waiting for translation, but we can't think of what.

Belgiumming Belgium. I'm only any good for spanish and Latin... and language in the TE was shot more times than the Millenium Falcon with very little effect other than that randomness will apperently free us in the end.

Lost my post, but basically: Language is all about psychology. Different languages are constructed with different logic and wire your brain differently. JRR Tolkein is the only person who comes to mind who created an utterly unfamiliar language, complete with it's own grammar and script, and he spent most of his adult life doing it.

Not that I'm not crazy enough to try, mind. But we'll be here until the sun burns out if I do.
Back to top Go down
lbrewer
Newcomer
lbrewer

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 2:45 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Dr_Chillgood wrote:
Oh Zarquon...

Belgiumming Belgium. I'm only any good for spanish and Latin... and language in the TE was shot more times than the Millenium Falcon with very little effect other than that randomness will apperently free us in the end.

Lost my post, but basically: Language is all about psychology. Different languages are constructed with different logic and wire your brain differently. JRR Tolkein is the only person who comes to mind who created an utterly unfamiliar language, complete with it's own grammar and script, and he spent most of his adult life doing it.

Not that I'm not crazy enough to try, mind. But we'll be here until the sun burns out if I do.
how about generic "blah sounds" or have around 30 types but change the pitch tone and speed make it seem different
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:35 am

lbrewer wrote:
Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Dr_Chillgood wrote:
Oh Zarquon...

how about generic "blah sounds" or have around 30 types but change the pitch tone and speed make it seem different
Language as in written language isn't going to be included. We have already come up with a way of doing sounds. We get a few animal sounds, then change the pitch and volume depending on the how the create is structures (so things like the body, neck, and head are taken into account). For structured language, I doubt it'll be made any more complex than that. Spoken language isn't needed by the computer, the computer can work with ideas, the sounds don't need to mean anything.

Then there's written language people will want to put on their TOs. Written language could work in any kind of way. A phonetic alphabet (based on spoken sounds), a symbolic alphabet (where symbols represent objects/ideas), a combination of the two, a latin-like alphabet (it gets its own class because it tries to be phonetic and fails completely), some/all of the previous combined, and that's just the ones I know about. There would have to be a number of different symbols to make up this alphabet, or, even worse: smells, taste, and touch based symbols for some. Then there's how to then structure the sentences... And that's assuming the language even uses sentences. It's really not worth the trouble.

So we're not doing it.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 2:21 pm

QFT but I could see it being included in the game in post release just because someone got bored. Wich reminds me once this game gets going modders will be more like programmers, heh.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 5:52 pm

We haven't agreed on what language will sound like at all Uteen.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

We've agreed on what basic creatures will sound like, as I said. I'd assume language would just be lots of these noises. Although, I suppose all language is lots of noises... But it would be based on the noise the creature makes, if we do bother varying the sounds they make post-sentience at all. Well, then there's how we vary it, of course, which would be done by... Oh ah... Um... Squirrel!

Should we do a poll on whether or not we want any form of language at all*? It's not really that vital, and the player won't be able to make sense of it anyway. Plus we haven't done a poll in ages...

(*entitled: 'Should we make some noises with our mouths?' )

Last edited by The Uteen on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 6:07 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

We've agreed on what basic creatures will sound like - we get various noises a creature could make and tweak to fit it. I'd assume language would just be lots of these noises. Although, I suppose all language is lots of noises... But it would be based on the noise the creature makes, if we do bother varying the sounds they make post-sentience at all.

Personally, I think it would be very bad not to set up language as an entirely separate set of sounds. Languuage is more than communication, it's a symbol used to automatically differentiate between sentient and non-sentient beings. Plus, different sounds would let us play with the idea of making it a mechanic if we so choose.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

This is not done. I might as well just come up with another post while I'm at it. I think language is a load of rubbish, it's what cavemen used. In this modern era why should we bother with such a primitive thing? We should use a higher method of communication. Why, we should ask the gods themselves to grant us a form of communication using apples and chipmunks, at least we'd get a break from this silly efficient 'language' we've come up with. It's an outrage.

Thumbs up if you spot this. Not sure how a thumbs up is done on a forum, but I'll go ahead and give you one anyway! Also, the next person to quote this sucks. Heheh...
Well I'll go ahead and quote anyway.

Personally, I think it would be very bad not to set up language as an entirely separate set of sounds. Languuage is more than communication, it's a symbol used to automatically differentiate between sentient and non-sentient beings. Plus, different sounds would let us play with the idea of making it a mechanic if we so choose.

You quoted my pre-quick-edit post (it wasn't exactly finished... I often completely change it immediately after), but oh well...

I don't really have anything to add, so... Make it a mechanic in what way?
Back to top Go down
jman12351
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Here's an idea. How about the option to add custom music to use as a national anthem? I'd have a nation of sapient raptors, with "Diamond Eyes" as the anthem. Imagine that: a nation of kickass dinosaurs with a kickass anthem. That's weird. The forum's AI didn't censor that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nation Editor Wrap-Up   Nation Editor Wrap-Up - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Nation Editor Wrap-Up
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next