Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Machine race? - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Machine race?

Go down 
+14
Deathbite42
Albalrogue
Poisson
Agrestrife
Tenebrarum
DragonEye4
Waap
The Uteen
Commander Keen
Noitulove
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
eumesmo
caekdaemon
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Deathbite42
Regular

Machine race? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 4:15 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
If that still does't work, then the robots can spread the message at the speed of light, literally, using radio, wifi, everything, devote everything they have to making weapons, blow 'em all up, then recycle the weapons into new robots, resources, etc.

Ever heard of the 10% rule? No, care to explain it?

The Uteen wrote:
Let's face it, the robots are better.

Only at industry. Don't forget war, and diplomacy with other robots. And not wasting time and resources games to keep them occupied, because without emotion, there is no boredom. They also don't waste half their lives sleeping. And they can't die of old age, so they are better at living. And that's just a few I came up with in about 5 seconds.
Yes. It is in ecology, not warfare. In ecology, it says a predator will have less resources available than their prey. Same concept with conqueror and conquered.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
That doesn't mean all predictions are wrong: it simply means all predictions have a degree of uncertainty.

Technology does progress very fast, and I'm sure creativity can be replicated by an inorganic form of "life" (put in quotes because w don't have a good universal definition of life".

You see, creativity is a result of a complex mind that is able to take in stimulus and then create a response based on its:
past experiences

genetics

Those two factors are the only thing that really makes you who you are. If you believe in a diety that helps shape you, you can consider that an experience.

Basically what i'm getting at here is that machine life could surpass biological life because it is able to reshape itself more quickly than the forces of nature.

I don't suggest that at all! I merely say these things always take far longer than we expect them to. Murphy's Law.

And by the time biological life can produce machine life, I'm fairly certain we'd have mastered genetics to the point where we can produce whatever sort of body we want. Almost litterally. As in, go from biped to hexapod in a "generation."
WRONG! Murphy's Law is S H I T! In 1900 someone said it would take 1-10 million years to have a flying machine. That year the Wright brothers made the first plane.
Yes, bipodian hexapods are possible. They are actually even closer than that.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 4:44 pm

The Uteen wrote:
So now you begin to see the advantages of robots?

And I have thought of a HUGE advantage of a robotic mind... Wait for it...

True immortality!!!!

As a robot, you can make a backup of your mind, and so, if you die, you can just be copied into another body! The backup could be stored on multiple online backup locations, so there is no chance of losing your mind! (pardon the wording )
Or you could just leave your consciousness online, and free yourself from physical existence, the ultimate retirement.

And, there is another bonus of this! Clones! One mind can be copied into multiple bodies, so you can be in two places at once, then just merge them back together when done!
You could also get the greatest military mind and copy him into thousands of bodies!
Or a really knowledgable robot, and copy him into a extremely powerful super-computer to invent stuff!

And you don't need emotions to be creative...

'We need a better processing unit... Initiating calculations... I have designed a better processing unit!'

That was pretty emotionless, wasn't it?

But, admittedly, I could see imagination leading to emotions, as a side effect, like empathy, imagining something from another persons point of view.
It would be very simple emotion ('I request permission to assist you'), but something would be there, because you are imagining what they are thinking (Processing?), and so could get what would appear to be anger:
'You are planning to destroy my planet, and so I shall destroy you...'
or friendship:
'You trust me. We should work together.'

So what do you think to all that? (Holy moley, two pages of posts in less than 24 hours? )

Edit...
Tenebrarum wrote:
Anything that is, as we would say, infinite or absolute, is impossible.
It I suppose it isn't true immortality when
futuretimeline.net/beyond.htm#dark This[/url] is the fate of the universe... Sorry to ruin your dream of immortality, Pezz. Again, by the looks of it.
Pezzalis wrote:
Crazy as it sounds, there is a chance that you (Yeah, you) May never die.

Reading 'Exponential Advancement, The Singularity, and Eternal Life', I keep editing stuff onto the end of this post... Why am I doing this??? I can't stop!

Poisson wrote:
Yes, kinda depressing that it depicted us becoming more and more logical and less easily amazed.
And it's kinda depressing that I we don't become more logical we'll die and then we wont even remember that we were amazed, because we're dead.

US_Of_Alaska wrote:
And as for all races turning into the same end-game race, well that's kind of silly. All races will have different view aesthetically, and so there's no reason that their "avatars" will all turn out the same. For instance, humans will always want to be humanoid shaped, even in their cyborg exoskeleton and robot avatars. So you will always have some sense of your race, even when they are all just stuck in cabinets and tuned into the universal power grid.
Or we might stick on a small version ofone of Gotrol's
Grotrol wrote:
fusion plasma reactor (Generator) it uses the magnetic energy to thrust and to create antigravity field on planet surfaces.
and find we prefer that to limbs, or we might like being small like a cat or dog or hamster, or like being a gigantic elephant-sized thing to kill everyone who is our enemy. Or be small and large at the same time, by copying your consciousness into both and merging later. Some people will prefer being different.

I hope I'm done posting this now. Let's wait and see. I just need to get through the 'Direction Editor' thread, with three posts in currently, and I'll be okay. Pity I added on 'I just' onwards in an edit after 'Let's wait and see'. This is getting stupid.

Edit: I just fixed a quote.
No, a whole bunch of that Belgium is stopped by one rule. That is not you. Because there is no soul. From your own perspective, being dismantled is just murder. The copy will think it was you, but YOU did not think you will be the copy. Unless you actually lift all those wires into a new bot, it won't work. "Ultimate retirement"? No, that is just a program, only someone who clicks a button will think it is you. A massive elephant will think it is you, and so will the hamster. But you are neither. But I do suppose this is not a problem in-game.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 4:48 pm

caekdaemon wrote:
eumesmo wrote:
neither do i. I agree that they greatly influence creativity and its defenition, but i have yet to see proof that the two are absolutely related....
Same.

I just realized a couple of upsides to being a machine race...
1.No worries about disease
2.No worries about food ( Unless you eat batteries for breakfast)
3.No worries about the enviroment (Unless your going to a lava planet or a Jovian style, then no worries )

Perhaps reproduction as a machine race is a issue. Do they just copy their programming?
Yes, disease. Heard of malware?
Yes, hunger. Even robots need power, be it solar or fossil or nuclear.
Yes, environment. Why not?
Program copying is not reproduction, for that child has your mind. A true child will develop his or her own.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 5:01 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Sorry for all the text, please do read, there is meaning in this madness.

Waap wrote:
They just build other machines. But then the place would become too crowded because they don't die of old age or sickness. So they wouldn't build too many new machines.
-Waap.
They can be destroyed, but as long as they have a backup of their mind, they'll be fine.
And a bank account, to buy the new body. If not, they'll just have to get a job that doesn't need physical existence, of which there are more than you think. They could be a writer, proof-reader, editor, e-mail-post-man (aka spambot666), an idea-for-online-jobs-that-don't-need-a-physical-existence creator, a virtual buddy, a hacker, a calculator, a virtual guitar... The list is long and not-so prosperous...

Anyway, as long as they can do that, they'll have a stable amount of entities, and so will not need reproduction in the sense of creation of new life entities.

Trouble is, in the world I have suggested in this post, everyone could just leave their physical bodies and become purely online entities. It would be an easy escape for anyone. Invasion/war? Upload your mind. Lost all your money? It'd be the upload again. Someone powerful is your enemy? Upload again. Terribly tired by life? Upload! Broke the law? Upload!

And as we know today, the internet would be the best place to hide, I could (I have no plans to, don't worry) just stop posting here and you would never be able to find me. If I used a new name from now on, it would be completely impossible. And that's without even trying.

If that happened, which is perfectly possible, ascension would just not happen. This ultimate upload would be just as good as it, but easier.

You could leave, if you wanted, at any time, but why? The world would only have you in it, suddenly alone after being immersed in a cloud of other minds sharing memories and experiences with them for so long, finding yourself in a dangerous, limiting, empty universe, all the wonder of the phenomenon you see in the physical universe is gone, you could much more easily look as Uber-high-resolution panorama images taken by heavy-duty mega-cameras on the internet, with more quality than the physical, mobile cameras you would have if you left the universe-wide-web. What is so good about suddenly being limited in informational input by suddenly only having a handful of senses, that you must constantly process and convert, when you could have so much more?

You say you want ascension, but not uniformity? If you ascend, you become a power, one with the universe and so all other minds, ascended and not, all ascended minds become about as uniform as you can get. Uploading yourself to a universal network, using technology, is, if anything, reducing uniformity. Do you want uniformity or not?
From the upload's opinion, it is you. But from your opinion, you are not the upload. So it helps you not, unless your brain goes into the computer. But then our hacking problem comes back.

Last edited by Deathbite42 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 5:40 pm

@Deathbite42 no cheating past the filter, it's there for a reason
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Deathbite42 wrote:
caekdaemon wrote:
eumesmo wrote:
neither do i. I agree that they greatly influence creativity and its defenition, but i have yet to see proof that the two are absolutely related....
Same.

3.No worries about the enviroment (Unless your going to a lava planet or a Jovian style, then no worries )

Perhaps reproduction as a machine race is a issue. Do they just copy their programming?
Program copying is not reproduction, for that child has your mind. A true child will develop his or her own.

a recurrent idea in sci fi, a "robotical ecosystem", i mean, a biome made completely by machines, some machines can synthetize minerals and other compounds from the soil, while creating energy with solar panels, so these are the "flora", "animals" would be heterotroph machines which feed in the Plant Machines, processing their compounds in order to repair their parts (like some sort of metabolism), also for absorbing the energy from the "Plants" generators. of course these would e only herbivore machines, there would be also omnivores, carnivores and even scavengers.....all of these mechanical creatures would have an autoupgrading system which ensures they can evolve as organic creatures do.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 9:48 pm

penumbra espinosa wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
caekdaemon wrote:
eumesmo wrote:
Same.

a recurrent idea in sci fi, a "robotical ecosystem", i mean, a biome made completely by machines, some machines can synthetize minerals and other compounds from the soil, while creating energy with solar panels, so these are the "flora", "animals" would be heterotroph machines which feed in the Plant Machines, processing their compounds in order to repair their parts (like some sort of metabolism), also for absorbing the energy from the "Plants" generators. of course these would e only herbivore machines, there would be also omnivores, carnivores and even scavengers.....all of these mechanical creatures would have an autoupgrading system which ensures they can evolve as organic creatures do.
And finally, what I said. MALWARE! It would be like a bacteria. Some, the robots would destroy by immune system. others...not so much.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Sorry about necroposting, but I do believe this to be relevant to this topic, if not then this can be moved/removed.

What about symbionts, a fusing of an AI to an organic brain. It essentially is boosting the brainpower of the organism with the processing powers of the machine, but still having the traits of the organic brain. (Think symbionts from Supreme Commander, the UEF used the symbionts to run all sorts of things with their boosted brainpower) Reproduction would also be easier, the AI pairing can simply be done when the new individual becomes an adult, or is limited to the scientists/great thinkers. Aside from the increased smarts, the race will essentially stay the same, except they have a partially mechanical brain.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Either that is alredy covered under biocomputing research (or a similar one), or should be. Not only enhancing the brain, also mechanical limbs, or even controling machinery directly from the brain (thinking instead of pressing buttons) which would enhance the effectivness of whatever is being controlled.
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:11 pm

So what about specialization, your species evolves to a full "hivemind" and the casts look barely alike,Like Carnifexes and Lictors from the warhammer 40k series , they are the seem spices but barely look alike because their suited to different roles in the "hivefleet" all while operating under a hivemind.So this becuase this is sorfo biomechanical train of thougrt , and I think it goes here. So crippling specializing the race until it barely looks alike, basically turning the game into a prettier version of spore , creatures evolving to fit different roles in a matter of hours."But How do we balance this" by the moment the race controls/"eaten" more than half galaxy,render up a new one. But don't rage, if I could programm i would tell you,make code,mod it in. the really only good thing am good for is testing and pushing it to it's limited on low end machines. so we done here.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Running along this thought track, wouldn't cloning fall under the bio-sciences as well? So many uses for them come to mind; having an easily created work force, create an army a la Star Wars, even making "colony batches" (original term) that are essentially a group of clones meant to be loaded into a colony ship maybe in stasis of some sort and landed on a planet and ordered to set up a colony there.

I don't think cloning had a lot of discussion, but it would be rather relevant, I guess. Same as before, if not relevant, just can be moved/removed, won't hurt my feelings any.:| 
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
Running along this thought track, wouldn't cloning fall under the bio-sciences as well? So many uses for them come to mind; having an easily created work force, create an army a la Star Wars, even making "colony batches" (original term) that are essentially a group of clones meant to be loaded into a colony ship maybe in stasis of some sort and landed on a planet and ordered to set up a colony there.

I don't think cloning had a lot of discussion, but it would be rather relevant, I guess. Same as before, if not relevant, just can be moved/removed, won't hurt my feelings any.:| 

Cloning yes.Clone army in first phase armor AAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEESSS!!! FIGHTING ROBOTS TOO SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!.Also custom armor do we have it.
We need it,It's probably included in the TO right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Machine race?   Machine race? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Machine race?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4