Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Implementing Underwater Civilizations

Go down 
+51
V2
SpiroExDeus
Jimexmore
P3DR0PS
the froggy ninja
EnergyKnife
Tarpy
Thriving Cheese
M3rox
Oliveriver
WilliamstheJohn
Tritium
Jiko
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Wiggin
untrustedlife
WJacobC
scorpion268
Atrox
Dannyboy1238
MitochondriaBox
Armok: God of Blood
zippybomb
Juodvarnis
NickTheNick
Danul83
Daniferrito
AllenHill
StarshockNova
Flashman
Scripts18
Holomanga
Theusfilipe
MeowMan1
lbrewer
penumbra espinosa
PTFace
Doggit
Kraeken
GhengopelALPHA
Aleick
US_of_Alaska
specialk2121
~sciocont
Poisson
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Commander Keen
The Uteen
Xenopologist
kaosrain
Hellome118
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Well, it was worth a shot, I guess.

But, now that I look back, I guess you're right.

It is indeed a very difficult concept to articulate into something easy to use.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 6:51 pm

Like I said, I'm glad you're being creative, but we also need to think of things that we can program into a game. We can't be so realistic as to get that kind of environment (I wish we could though...)
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 7:04 pm

What, no underwater caves?

Not even for aquatic stage?

CURSES! I was hoping to make like a subterranean critter that lived underground, but could hold it's breath like a wale so it could hunt in the water. .3.

Ahwell, Guess I'll have to stick with a realistic alien Pikachu.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm

I don't get it, whats the hype with this Underwater Civilization? We would get enough underwater experience with the fish stage anyway, there are much more exciting things to do with water than building civilization, like drowning people with tsunami waves.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Caves are a possibility. We hope to implement these (though it will be very tricky (due to the planet generation algorithm we hope to use)). However your idea would be way too hard to implement doctor.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:21 am

No aquatic stage?
Belgium, that is one of reasons why im contributing to you.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:40 am

WilliamstheJohn wrote:
No aquatic stage?
Belgium, that is one of reasons why im contributing to you.

I think I'm right in saying there will be an aquatic stage (well, you can play as an aquatic creature during the organism stages), so I'm not sure where you got that from. What's being discussed here is whether an aquatic creature can build a civilisation. Marine life is a certainty in the game either way.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:31 am

As Oliver said, There will be underwater life. Even more, you will e forced to be underwater for the first part of the game (You start of as a free floating cell in the sea, evolve into a fish, and eventually are able to evolve out of the water if you wish).

The discusion here is if an underwater civilization can advance fully underwater, without uplifting or evolving as an hybrid (can life both under and over water). Advance means get to space, as a basic, stone-age-level underwater civilization is possible.
Back to top Go down
M3rox
Newcomer
M3rox

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:43 am

Could caves be implemented by creating cave-"modules" that can be randomly put together? But we'd have to make many of those "modules" to keep the caves unique.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:48 am

That is one way. We have to decide still how are we going to handle storing the terrain. If it is a voxel-based system, we dont need any of those cave modules. If it is a heightmap, we will need something like that to handle anything that doesent fit a heightmap, like caves. That discussion, however, doesent go here.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:51 am

Yes there will be an aquatic stage, we just haven't figured out how to implement caves yet. Where did you get that idea from?
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 9:27 am

WJacobC wrote:
Like I said, I'm glad you're being creative, but we also need to think of things that we can program into a game. We can't be so realistic as to get that kind of environment (I wish we could though...)

From the last two sentences there, most likely.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:09 am

Ops, i missundersod, sorry.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:41 am

By that I meant a cave that just happened to be oxygen filled and just happened to have plant roots hanging down and just happened to have flint inside. I in no way meant we won't have an aquatic stage, and aquatic stage is a neccesity for Thrive!
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 12:49 pm

WJacobC wrote:
By that I meant a cave that just happened to be oxygen filled and just happened to have plant roots hanging down and just happened to have flint inside. I in no way meant we won't have an aquatic stage, and aquatic stage is a neccesity for Thrive!
Altough, I thought it would be a part of the normal "creature" stages..., that you just automaticly started as aquatic, and then you could either stay in the ocean, or go up to land, but still doing the same phase with the same names, except the 2 last phases wich wouldn't just be obtained for an aquatic player?
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Exactly. Its just an option in the Awakening and Aware stages.

Anyway, this is going off-topic.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 12:55 pm

chease you can get to space with aquatic, you just need to be uplifted.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm

untrustedlife wrote:
chease you can get to space with aquatic, you just need to be uplifted.
I meant like normally obtained.
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Wiggin
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Well, I thought my ideas were pretty good, but they would be something that's rare to evolve. Shouldn't these kinds of things still be in the game though? (I posted on page 15 somewhere.)
As far as fire and metals go, I think it's pretty impossible at this point and we need to think of something creative if underwater non-hybrids will be able to fully evolve.
Back to top Go down
scorpion268
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 8:25 am

i have found the chemical. it does not occur in nature all that often except in salt traces that contain bauxite or something else, however on said alien worlds natural ores of it could be found. the solution is gallium with a melting point of 90 degrees Fahrenheit. i have solved the problem about metallurgy!!!! (at least i hope i did)
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 10:04 am

Well, gallium does have a 90 degree melting point, however, it is only used for semiconducters and some alloys, so it would be useless to any early civilization.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 10:49 am

First off, gallium melts at 30ºC. Thats too low, as any kind of heat applied to it will make it melt, losing its shape, and so becoming useless again.

On top of that, gallium is not too strong. Similarly to a tool made out of lead, or gold, it will break after the second use.

Finally gallium is a bit toxic. While it is not too bad, prolonged contact starts to get problematic.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 10:59 am

Daniferrito wrote:
First off, gallium melts at 30ºC. Thats too low, as any kind of heat applied to it will make it melt, losing its shape, and so becoming useless again.

On top of that, gallium is not too strong. Similarly to a tool made out of lead, or gold, it will break after the second use.

Finally gallium is a bit toxic. While it is not too bad, prolonged contact starts to get problematic.

QFT
Back to top Go down
scorpion268
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 2:52 pm

i have figured it out then!

so there are certain species of bacteria that process metals, they basically absorb bits of it, eat from it, and release the parts they cant digest. so our aquatic species could without knowing it, somehow take advantage of these symbiotically and work metals without fire or some other source of heat.
Back to top Go down
EnergyKnife
Newcomer
EnergyKnife

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm

scorpion268 wrote:
so there are certain species of bacteria that process metals, they basically absorb bits of it, eat from it, and release the parts they cant digest. so our aquatic species could without knowing it, somehow take advantage of these symbiotically and work metals without fire or some other source of heat.
I think the major problem with your idea is that they would just process it into a differently shapes hunk of useless metal. Just because you can change metal doesn't mean you can change it into what you want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Implementing Underwater Civilizations
Page 10 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next