Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Implementing Underwater Civilizations

Go down 
+51
V2
SpiroExDeus
Jimexmore
P3DR0PS
the froggy ninja
EnergyKnife
Tarpy
Thriving Cheese
M3rox
Oliveriver
WilliamstheJohn
Tritium
Jiko
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Wiggin
untrustedlife
WJacobC
scorpion268
Atrox
Dannyboy1238
MitochondriaBox
Armok: God of Blood
zippybomb
Juodvarnis
NickTheNick
Danul83
Daniferrito
AllenHill
StarshockNova
Flashman
Scripts18
Holomanga
Theusfilipe
MeowMan1
lbrewer
penumbra espinosa
PTFace
Doggit
Kraeken
GhengopelALPHA
Aleick
US_of_Alaska
specialk2121
~sciocont
Poisson
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Commander Keen
The Uteen
Xenopologist
kaosrain
Hellome118
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:45 pm

~sciocont wrote:
PTFace wrote:
I would like to ask if it would be possible to uplift a underwater species when you had enough technology.

Say for example, you species evolved on a planet with little land and open oceans. Your race was comparable to pelicans and the main diet was fish. I think it would be interesting if it would be possible to uplift, say, a manatee like species to herd fish into one location. It would allow workers in the food section of an economy to work in other places.
Yeah, you're free to share technology with other races. For the other two, that's what I mean when I say TECHNOLOGICALLY AMPHIBIOUS.
Does that mean advanced alien races will be able to uplift your species from jellyfish to intelligent beings?
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:04 am

why not taking another approach?, i recently read a book called "All Tomorrows", and noticed the idea for an underwater civilization, this dolphin-like human descendants have mastered bioengineering and all their technnology is based in living structures, living houses covered in shells which use bioluminiscense and nerves as powergrids, their tools are also living creatures and even their spaceships are gigantic organisms adapted to living in the void of space.

okai this could sound very implausible, but the idea of biotechnnology is recurrent in the sci fi universe, just wanted to see if it can be done for enabling underwater civilizations.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:49 am

penumbra espinosa wrote:
why not taking another approach?, i recently read a book called "All Tomorrows", and noticed the idea for an underwater civilization, this dolphin-like human descendants have mastered bioengineering and all their technnology is based in living structures, living houses covered in shells which use bioluminiscense and nerves as powergrids, their tools are also living creatures and even their spaceships are gigantic organisms adapted to living in the void of space.

okai this could sound very implausible, but the idea of biotechnnology is recurrent in the sci fi universe, just wanted to see if it can be done for enabling underwater civilizations.
Wouldn't they need rather advanced technology to get that good at bio-engineering?
I suppose there's the possibility it could happen naturally, but that's infinitesimally small.

PTFace wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
PTFace wrote:
I would like to ask if it would be possible to uplift a underwater species when you had enough technology.

Say for example, you species evolved on a planet with little land and open oceans. Your race was comparable to pelicans and the main diet was fish. I think it would be interesting if it would be possible to uplift, say, a manatee like species to herd fish into one location. It would allow workers in the food section of an economy to work in other places.
Yeah, you're free to share technology with other races. For the other two, that's what I mean when I say TECHNOLOGICALLY AMPHIBIOUS.
Does that mean advanced alien races will be able to uplift your species from jellyfish to intelligent beings?
Somewhat.

Firstly, to become an intelligent being, a species must have a brain. To have a brain, it must have access to a lot of nutrients from its food, which means eating some sort of plant, so a mouth & stomach must be present, and have protection for the brain and stomach, otherwise one hit and it loses half its brain-cells and chunders everywhere. Also, muscles will most likely be needed to move it to the plants to get enough to develop all these body parts, and presumably to power chewing...

So... If the jellyfish were bio-engineered to meet all those things, thus becoming something distinctly not like a jellyfish, then yes, they could become intelligent beings.
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:35 pm

in the book the acuatic humans developed a mutualism with little acuatic creatures much like it happens between several marine species, this lead to a primitive manipulation of fauna which then evolved to an archaic form of engineering, it took several millions of years for them to make it in actual technnology....but it was basically domestication, they took some creatures and breeded them in order to create more useful companions, at the point that they became living tools and structures. of course the time needed to do that would be really big, just imagine how much time it took for men to get all the several Dogs and Cats breeds and other domestic animals. the acuatic civilization did that for several milennia at the point of creating biotechnnology in an organic way.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:02 pm

penumbra espinosa wrote:
in the book the acuatic humans developed a mutualism with little acuatic creatures much like it happens between several marine species, this lead to a primitive manipulation of fauna which then evolved to an archaic form of engineering, it took several millions hundreds of millions, lets be reasonable, they're making space-ships! of years for them to make it in actual technnology....but it was basically domestication, they took some creatures and breeded them in order to create more useful companions, at the point that they became living tools and structures. of course the time needed to do that would be really big, just imagine how much time it took for men to get all the several Dogs and Cats breeds and other domestic animals. the acuatic civilization did that for several milennia at the point of creating biotechnnology in an organic way.

Selective breeding, I suppose that's one way. One very slow way, getting exactly what you want from the organisms through selective breeding alone... They'd need a lot of care. Nevertheless, if a project like that can be completed before the sun goes supernova, it's something that should be considered, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:15 pm

well in the book the acuatic civilization developed that archaic domestication before getting sapient, thus giving them an advance. but from the evolutionary point, yeah they must have been living in a planet orbiting some sort of red dwarf or the like. its too much time.

for the ones interested in the book here's a link to the online version:

http://www.sivatherium.narod.ru/library/Ramjet/01_en.htm

the autor is Nemo Ramjet, the artist who created the alien planet Snaiad.
Back to top Go down
lbrewer
Newcomer
lbrewer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:01 am

penumbra espinosa wrote:
well in the book the acuatic civilization developed that archaic domestication before getting sapient, thus giving them an advance. but from the evolutionary point, yeah they must have been living in a planet orbiting some sort of red dwarf or the like. its too much time.

for the ones interested in the book here's a link to the online version:

http://www.sivatherium.narod.ru/library/Ramjet/01_en.htm

the autor is Nemo Ramjet, the artist who created the alien planet Snaiad.
can we leave it that a civ cannot be fully aquatic as of the lack of smithing but can be partially aquatic ( like the gungans in star wars who like underwater but have developed to be amphibious.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:19 am

If you can get an amphibious creature to interact with and harness fire, go for it.
Last decision that I recall was that fully aquatic creatures get to be sentient (sapient's rather different) and can be aware and all that, but they only get a little bit of the tech tree, not enough to really hit civ stage, because of a pesky thing called physics. They could, theoretically, make things out of stone (by hitting it with other rocks) but the technique (and the abilitiy to use such weapons) would be made different and difficult by the density of the water where they live.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 5:55 pm

I do understand that, but could these aquatic species go up to land for a short time, make fire, make a casing of naturl resources to protect the fire, carry it into the ocean, and use the protected fire another source of heat and eventually use it for heating raw food, that is once they are sentient? because if the fire is protected enough not to go out, then couldn't they then have fire underwater? If they can breathe for a little while on land also?
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 7:23 pm

the thing is that amphibian species arent complete underwater civilizations, i wanted to get an approach that didnt have the necessity of developing fire.

the example of selective breeding in the game works as a nice solution, a very slow but functional.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 10:09 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
I do understand that, but could these aquatic species go up to land for a short time, make fire, make a casing of naturl resources to protect the fire, carry it into the ocean, and use the protected fire another source of heat and eventually use it for heating raw food, that is once they are sentient? because if the fire is protected enough not to go out, then couldn't they then have fire underwater? If they can breathe for a little while on land also?

Fire needs oxygen in a gaseous form. Sure, you can seal a glass bubble full of fire, but it will put itself out when it runs out of oxygen. Also, it would float.

Extinction time in sealed environment is under a minute per cubic foot of air. Physics says no.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Underwater civilizations are doomed. I am new but I can see the conclusion people before me reached. As much as I like the idea you can't and you will not make a Underwater Civ all the way to space. The only thing that can make a underwater civ true is if it is uplifted by aliens. Look at the hanar from Mass Effect these jellyfish only reached space because the Proteans Uplifted them.

I think would make more sense discuss if a civ could go to space in a high mass world. (Elcor... So what I like Mass Effect?)
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Theusfilipe wrote:
Underwater civilizations are doomed. I am new but I can see the conclusion people before me reached. As much as I like the idea you can't and you will not make a Underwater Civ all the way to space. The only thing that can make a underwater civ true is if it is uplifted by aliens. Look at the hanar from Mass Effect these jellyfish only reached space because the Proteans Uplifted them.

I think would make more sense discuss if a civ could go to space in a high mass world. (Elcor... So what I like Mass Effect?)

You're right, but i think that with regard to the processing with the fire believe that in case the planet has, under the water, of the cracks which allow the outside of the core output of lava this civilization can work metals, at least in depth.
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Doggit wrote:
Theusfilipe wrote:

You're right, but i think that with regard to the processing with the fire believe that in case the planet has, under the water, of the cracks which allow the outside of the core output of lava this civilization can work metals, at least in depth.

It's already been discussed that geothermal heat could not be used for metalworking. Water is more conductive to heat than air, so if you are close enough to work metals then you are already dead.
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 5:49 pm

you only get he excuse of the fire to make it impossible, that's all, it pisses me of, the game will be realistic that's nice but there must be another way to develop a civilization without the need of fire.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Will it be able to form tribes in the water? your species could create stone tools with handles made from the stalks of underwater plants
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:13 pm

penumbra espinosa wrote:
you only get he excuse of the fire to make it impossible, that's all, it pisses me of, the game will be realistic that's nice but there must be another way to develop a civilization without the need of fire.

You can get to farming, just the entire fire and metals branch of the tech tree is closed off, so you're stuck with primitive tools such as stones (or clamshells,) and very little building. If you have a look at the tech tree, fire is a prerequisite for at least 80% of the technologies on it.

Also, we're having trouble with underwater physics. Basically, if you can manipulate complicated tools, you're not aerodynamic enough to swim, and the wandering range for mid and large range sea creatures is huge, several times that of a land creature. Civ's going to be complicated by the lack of opposable thumbs long before fire or metalworking comes up, and after that it's going to be the necessity of a nomadic lifestyle. After that it's going to be the belgiumming depth problem, as farming's only going to work up to the efficient penetrative depth of sunlight. Herding fish might work, but civilization in an ocean has literally no ground to stand on.

So yes, to summarize, we have at least three things other than fire blocking underwater civ, but fire's the first thing we usually bring up. Underwater civ is deader than the spider that I just killed with my shoe.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:12 pm

penumbra espinosa wrote:
Sorry, but that's the cold, hard physics of it- you can't progress past the stone age if you're fully aquatic. Until someone provides really really good evidence otherwise, that's how it will be.

Compounding what the calligrapher said,
-herding fish is more impossible than herding cats. sure, whales can make them ball up for a while with bubbles, but fish will always have three dimensions to move in, and on top of that, they're just not very bright organisms. Their life consists of swimming around in search of food, spawning, and then dying.
-farming is also very difficult underwater because stands of autotrophs attract so many organisms to them. The ocean is really very empty, and any resting place with food is going to teem with things eating the food and eating each other.
-it's possible to imagine an organism that can swim long distances and manipulate objects freely, but building things underwater is extremely difficult- even though objects weigh less, they still have a ton of inertia, so moving them about is difficult, and to build, you'll need heavy objects because the forces of water are a lot stronger than the forces of air, kinetically.

It would be cool to have mermaids, but they're just not going to get very far.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 5:56 pm

[quote="~sciocont"]
penumbra espinosa wrote:
Sorry, but that's the cold, hard physics of it- you can't progress past the stone age if you're fully aquatic. Until someone provides really really good evidence otherwise, that's how it will be.

Ok whoever said fully aquatic? Like I said....If your like a frog that can go underwaterfor a short tiime just vice versa for going on land fo a short time, then I deem it...Possible, yes very much possible. Don't think fully aquatic people....
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
MeowMan1 wrote:

Fire needs oxygen in a gaseous form. Sure, you can seal a glass bubble full of fire, but it will put itself out when it runs out of oxygen. Also, it would float.

Extinction time in sealed environment is under a minute per cubic foot of air. Physics says no.
Theres a thing called grasping....Why would I not think that they would hold it? how else would You get it down there in the first place? It's a big fire, so it WON'T run out very fast, then You get a bunch of the same thing, just smaller fires to help the feed to the big fire.
I mean, I'm very nieve sometimess, but not always. I think My plan is plausible not possible forget I ever said possible cuz I got know idea if it even is or not.
Thanks again guys!
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 10:07 pm

i just came with a different approach, but looks like its mandatory to have fire based technnological development, i come with a more crazy solution, that could be plausible, and get a rain of comments. well if its not possible to make an underwater civilization from scratch by realistic methods, well at least add some sci fi to it. im not asking for SPORE, just a less strict position about the game concepts.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 10:40 pm

in order to get around construction underwater, what if your race just found a very large cave system?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 11:29 pm

PTFace wrote:
in order to get around construction underwater, what if your race just found a very large cave system?
Then you could live there.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyFri May 18, 2012 10:37 am

In response to the (much) above: More fire means faster extinction time. You'd need a heck of a lot of weight to get some sort of bubble underwater with enough air to last beyond a couple minutes, and if it were hot enough for any sort of smelting or technological innovation, you couldnt' physically touch it anyway.

Hey, Penumbra, I want to hear it if you have a viable concept. Not because we haven't already tried an alternative underwater tech tree, but because the sci-fi idea that would plausibly allow this is worth putting out there to see if it's remotely possible within game physics. The fact that we can't bend physics now that we've decided to use them in the game means that we're kind of stuck with them.
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 EmptyFri May 18, 2012 3:31 pm

i suggested an advanced simbyosis and domestication of lesser acuatic lifeforms, domestication at a level that would take several thousands, even millions of years to dominate and would lead to living based technnology, biotools, biostructures and bioships as the challenge to reach space.

as example again, some thousands of years ago the human kind domesticated wolfs and bred them until it get the several dog races we have now. this via Neoteny.

so take for example a race of acuatic creatures, which are aware of their environment, and have developed a mutualistic relation with several different lifeforms in their acuatic world. they have domesticated them and bred them for thousands of years, via Neoteny they have created living structures composed of giant mollusk-like creatures which connect each other in a web similar to a nervous or circulatory system. allowing the trasnference of energy like electric wires. some other little creatures have been bred to become like tools.

in a nutshell......."Neoteny taken to the extreme".....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Implementing Underwater Civilizations
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next