Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe Stage Final Draft

Go down 
+34
Daniferrito
D4RK_VOID
WilliamstheJohn
Gawbad
Rorsten594
HellKnightDan
mrghostly12321
NickTheNick
GreatGranpapy
zippybomb
uverion
Pyrotin
Doggit
MeowMan1
Theusfilipe
jmc-24
Sgt. Lost Time
Theslimy
Crimsonspawn
Holomanga
penumbra espinosa
The Uteen
Commander Keen
jaysongg071997
Admiral Van Tromp
guitar999111
US_of_Alaska
Seregon
Pezzalis
BastianKraft
roadkillguy
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
Tenebrarum
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
mrghostly12321
Newcomer

Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm mortified to hear we won't have a working microbe stage this year, I've just discovered this project and I'm really enthusiastic about it!

Also, I really want to make some kind of contribution to the project, but there's practically nothing I can do ;_;

Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 4:32 pm

mrghostly12321 wrote:
I'm mortified to hear we won't have a working microbe stage this year, I've just discovered this project and I'm really enthusiastic about it!

Also, I really want to make some kind of contribution to the project, but there's practically nothing I can do ;_;

can you help me for music?
Back to top Go down
mrghostly12321
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 am

Probably not :/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 5:05 pm

mrghostly12321 wrote:
Probably not :/
could you help me with 3-d modeling?
Back to top Go down
mrghostly12321
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:04 am

I don't have any experience with that type of thing, sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm

We're getting off topic, I would reccomend posting a new thread in the welcome section if you haven't already and continue applying for a position there, in the meantime, you could always help with conceptual work which is for the most part where this project's at.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 pm

If you really want to discuss how the game will work in microbe stage, beyond the conceptual and down to the actual mechanics, go to the appropriate thread.
Back to top Go down
HellKnightDan
Newcomer
HellKnightDan

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 10:50 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
I believe engulfmeant should be fairly easy to depict in a both ways, amoeboid and standard.

I think it would be fun if mistaken identity could have the player end up trying to engulf things they can't digest, rock particulates and the like, once they get large enough.

How will shape be handled?
For this stage, I can think of two posible options:
A particle based model, as if it was a big bag full of marbles, or a 2D animation stuck on a plane.

The advantages of the 3d model is that particles can float around the inner part of the cell, and they can interact with those elements out of it, so the shape would be distorted on movement and contact.
Also, the 3D particle would allow you see the elements you have engulfed without making new 2d pictures, just changing textures.

On the other hand, 2D pictures can be more detailed.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:31 am

I like the 3D idea better, it seems to have more benefits.
Back to top Go down
mrghostly12321
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Yeah I agree, I'd rather play a 3d environment.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 12:52 pm

The environment will be top-down but 3D. In this way, we can preserve simple gameplay while having a simple environment setup.
Back to top Go down
mrghostly12321
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 1:33 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The environment will be top-down but 3D. In this way, we can preserve simple gameplay while having a simple environment setup.
I know, you know what I mean when I say 3d environment.
Back to top Go down
Rorsten594
Newcomer
Rorsten594

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 9:01 am

so is there any exact date for thrive release or we're just going late 2012 ?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Rorsten594 wrote:
so is there any exact date for thrive release or we're just going late 2012 ?
Just whenever we have something playable done. The time until a stable & playable release is rather like the predator population in the population dynamics thread - all we can say is that it's currently rather high, and is dependant on many variables.

But it will probably be late 2012 (i.e. now) to early 2013.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 5:02 pm

btw, Has anyone made a NEW prototype, that is playable?

Its been a while...
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 am

MeowMan1 wrote:
btw, Has anyone made a NEW prototype, that is playable?

Its been a while...
Unfortunately nope. There is a lot of background stuff to do, and not many people to do it.
Although, if you regard Spore as a sort of incredible yet rubbish prototype, you could play that while you wait…
Back to top Go down
Gawbad
Newcomer
Gawbad

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 11:31 am

Concept for Cooker Microbe:
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Cooker10
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gawbad
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 9:23 am

Gawbad wrote:
Concept for Cooker Microbe:
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Cooker10

Good concept!
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 am

Now i'm not 100% if this would be the right thread for this but since its the "Final Draft" thread I would like to share an idea that I got.
Maybe its too much, maybe not.
When our cell absorbs something (exmaple a sugar) and since cells are very small and transparent can we see the process of the 'thing' that is being absorbed go through the process of (for example) being turned into glucose? As in going through the organelles changing etc. Or will this be too much? (Maybe added in the future?)
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 7:02 am

D4RK_VOID wrote:
Now i'm not 100% if this would be the right thread for this but since its the "Final Draft" thread I would like to share an idea that I got.
Maybe its too much, maybe not.
When our cell absorbs something (exmaple a sugar) and since cells are very small and transparent can we see the process of the 'thing' that is being absorbed go through the process of (for example) being turned into glucose? As in going through the organelles changing etc. Or will this be too much? (Maybe added in the future?)

I hope so, but at the start when you absorb something it will just disapear and be added to your invisible reserves.
Back to top Go down
Reklaw9999
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 3:00 pm

So i don't know how far along the team is with the actual designs of the microbe parts but, I was looking at some cells under a microscope and online and drew the most extreme parts.
Pieces 1 and 2 are for protection
Piece 3 is for attacking predators (or prey)
I know they decided that the cells would not have mouths but i drew one anyway, that's number 4
pieces 5,6, and 7 are all for movement

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Reklaw9999
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Here's a picture of a few drawings of cell parts I made based on real cells, I wasn't sure how far along the team was with the actual design of the cell parts, but i drew some anyway.
number 1 and 2 are for your cells protection
part 3 is for attacking your enemies, predator of prey
I know they were planning not to have any mouths but, I drew one anyway, that's number 4
numbers 5, 6, and 7 are for movement.

And how is the transition from a single celled organism to a multicellular creature going to work?
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Wow, that's great concept work Reklaw.

The transition will be a shifting of the camera from a 2D top down view to a 3D view. In the process the individual cells of your creature will become indistinguishable and instead you control a whole multicellular organism. However, this is just a brief description, I'll try and find the full one and give you the link.

Just be careful with double-posting, since you posted mostly the same stuff both times. I put your pictures in spoilers to reduce the size of the posts.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 am

For the transition from microbe to multicellular gameplay, we came up with the ‘Early Multicellular Stage’, in which your cell has developed the multicellular gene but is still a countable number of cells big. It has a top-down perspective, like cellular stage, but you control a colony of cells, and certain gameplay features give the impression of a more 3D environment. Over time, gameplay gradually becomes like like cellular, and more like multicellular. When the number of cells reaches a certain point, the stage ends, and we fully switch the camera to a 3D perspective, and your colony of cells is converted (from the game's point of view) into a single multicellular-stage organism.

The current concept is here, and much, much longer and more detailed.
Back to top Go down
Reklaw9999
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 am

Sorry for the double post I didn't think it posted the first time.
Do you get to decide when you change from a single celled organism to a multi celled one? Could you stay a singled celled creature as long as you like, or will it force you to move on? And how far along should you get in the first release of the microbe stage? Will it end as soon as you get more than one cell, or will it end after you are a simple multi celled creature and ready to become a complex organism?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe Stage Final Draft
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next