Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe Stage Final Draft

Go down 
+34
Daniferrito
D4RK_VOID
WilliamstheJohn
Gawbad
Rorsten594
HellKnightDan
mrghostly12321
NickTheNick
GreatGranpapy
zippybomb
uverion
Pyrotin
Doggit
MeowMan1
Theusfilipe
jmc-24
Sgt. Lost Time
Theslimy
Crimsonspawn
Holomanga
penumbra espinosa
The Uteen
Commander Keen
jaysongg071997
Admiral Van Tromp
guitar999111
US_of_Alaska
Seregon
Pezzalis
BastianKraft
roadkillguy
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
Tenebrarum
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 9:43 pm

I can make them a bit smoother, i was just trying to keep the poly count down. It is already about 50x the poly count of the wriggler...

I'll go get them smoother and then send you the new map.

And i still don't know what you mean, sorry. I searched for a phospholipid,and all that came up was balls made out of smaller balls...
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Texmap

https://i.imgur.com/8XohQ.png
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 11:36 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I can make them a bit smoother, i was just trying to keep the poly count down. It is already about 50x the poly count of the wriggler...

I'll go get them smoother and then send you the new map.

And i still don't know what you mean, sorry. I searched for a phospholipid,and all that came up was balls made out of smaller balls...

A phospholipids makes up a cell membrane - as single units they are a rounded molecule (which is attracted to water) attached to two long sections, so like a tadpole with two tails (Which repel water) --> ==O
Phospholipid bilayers make up cell membranes:

O====O
O====O
O====O

Sometimes certain proteins and organelles like ion/proton pumps, flagella, cilia and receptors will protrude through the membrane.

O====O
O====O
O==((((((=======~~~~~~
O====O
O====O

Enough of that biology lesson,
The actual visual cell membrane itself would be like a thin transparent layer with a slimy shader.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 9:46 am

...I feel so stupid. I still don't quite get it.

So are we talking about a sphere, with another sphere around it that has a different texture and opacity?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Once again, I applaud your great works, but I fear we may be getting ahead of ourselves.

First off, I haven't seen roadkill confirm or deny our ability to import these models to serve as in-game entities. I'd hate for you to go through all this work and have to can it later.

Secondly, pretty models are all well and good, but unless they animate well they're pointless. Good animation can keep us from noticing bad graphics, but bad animations can tear our eyes away from the most gorgeous models ever created. We need to have animations for moving fowards, backwards, sideways, turning, turning multiple directions rapidly, moving multiple directions rapidly, etc. If even one of these is off, our players will see and be distracted.

It's another reason why I want to see these ragdolled. If we can do that, we only need to put in a few comands for the very end of the flagellum (or whichever organelle we use) and the engine can do the rest.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 9:25 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:

So are we talking about a sphere, with another sphere around it that has a different texture and opacity?
Basically.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Cell_membrane
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 11:19 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:

I think what we are looking for is a partially transparent hollow sphere with a mottled texture or bump-map to show the phospholipid heads.
The inside of the cell has a cytoplasmic medium but we probably don't have to distinguish that.

In game when it absorbs something it will fill the hollow space within it and can be seen.

EDIT: And I was bored so I threw together some conceptual cells. I was more tying to find shapes rather than colours.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

I think what we are looking for is a partially transparent hollow sphere with a mottled texture or bump-map to show the phospholipid heads.
The inside of the cell has a cytoplasmic medium but we probably don't have to distinguish that.

In game when it absorbs something it will fill the hollow space within it and can be seen.

EDIT: And I was bored so I threw together some conceptual cells. I was more tying to find shapes rather than colours.
Spoiler:
Those are nice- shape recognition will be very important. I have a couple sketchbook pages full of designs for all of the protocell types.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Once again, I applaud your great works, but I fear we may be getting ahead of ourselves.

First off, I haven't seen roadkill confirm or deny our ability to import these models to serve as in-game entities. I'd hate for you to go through all this work and have to can it later.

Secondly, pretty models are all well and good, but unless they animate well they're pointless. Good animation can keep us from noticing bad graphics, but bad animations can tear our eyes away from the most gorgeous models ever created. We need to have animations for moving fowards, backwards, sideways, turning, turning multiple directions rapidly, moving multiple directions rapidly, etc. If even one of these is off, our players will see and be distracted.

It's another reason why I want to see these ragdolled. If we can do that, we only need to put in a few comands for the very end of the flagellum (or whichever organelle we use) and the engine can do the rest.
1) Someone from the programming side of things okayed .OBJ files. However, i don't know how to export animations. Thus i haven't been too fussed with trying to learn how to animate, which leads me to...

2) Yeah,i don't know how to animate yet. I've done what i could with point editing and keypoints, but beyond the flagellum that is not going to fly. This leads me to...

3) I have no technical capability to ragdoll anything. I am not even aware of how to import these models into an engine. I have not had an education in this area yet, and while i am pursuing i am afraid i am not capable of doing anything of this caliber until i have. So i'm back to being useless :p
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 3:25 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
1) Someone from the programming side of things okayed .OBJ files. However, i don't know how to export animations. Thus i haven't been too fussed with trying to learn how to animate, which leads me to...

2) Yeah,i don't know how to animate yet. I've done what i could with point editing and keypoints, but beyond the flagellum that is not going to fly. This leads me to...

3) I have no technical capability to ragdoll anything. I am not even aware of how to import these models into an engine. I have not had an education in this area yet, and while i am pursuing i am afraid i am not capable of doing anything of this caliber until i have. So i'm back to being useless :p

Knowing our limitations is half the battle. I just feel that if we can do our hard work to get a nice solid framework, the rest of our workload will be cut in half. That's what I'm pushing for.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Knowing our limitations is half the battle. I just feel that if we can do our hard work to get a nice solid framework, the rest of our workload will be cut in half. That's what I'm pushing for.
Just do some models. people love them, you're doing good work. but hold off for a bit until we decide whether we're going to bother with cell stage.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:03 am

I think i might just try to hone my skills for the time being. That way maybe i can be of more use when we need some modelling done.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Ragdoll physics would be simulated in the game engine itself. Nothing's wrong with 3D, but at the time being 2D is 1,000,000 times easier.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Ragdoll physics would be simulated in the game engine itself. Nothing's wrong with 3D, but at the time being 2D is 1,000,000 times easier.
First release might not even have graphics, I'd like to put out an alpha evolution simulator to work out the kinks in the evolution system and learn the best ways to define organisms.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 3:51 pm

~sciocont wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
First release might not even have graphics, I'd like to put out an alpha evolution simulator to work out the kinks in the evolution system and learn the best ways to define organisms.

Easy, iff you don't mind using the command line.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Okay, i have a few questions.

Would it look better if the Wriggler was defined by points that had lines drawn between them, and would this be handled within the program?

The same question for Heat Eaters and other bacteria-like proto-cells, but with sprites that create a snake (eg a bunch of balls in a snake pattern).

Do you want us to worry about animated sprites yet or should we just get things done?
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 10:42 pm

I don't know how to handle animated textures, so stick with single ones. Lines between points will be perfect. We could then texture for each segment.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 11:13 pm

Okay Scio, if you could do some more sketches for me that'd be rooly cool. I have done these so far today, but i'm unsure on how the rest look (Belgium my biology ignorance!)

Clone Sticker
Heat Eater Body Segment
Heat Eater End Segment
Holder
Poison Sticker
Back to top Go down
Admiral Van Tromp
Newcomer
Admiral Van Tromp

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Very nicely done, nice to see you are making some progress. I've not been very active and I apologize for that, I'm not to good with biology, just throw anything you need at me of 2d art and I can get it done).
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 3:59 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Okay Scio, if you could do some more sketches for me that'd be rooly cool. I have done these so far today, but i'm unsure on how the rest look (Belgium my biology ignorance!)

Clone Sticker
Heat Eater Body Segment
Heat Eater End Segment
Holder
Poison Sticker

Thank you. I can work with these. I've been kinda busy lately, so it might be a while before they're officially integrated.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 9:44 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Clone Sticker
Heat Eater Body Segment
Heat Eater End Segment
Holder
Poison Sticker

Thank you. I can work with these. I've been kinda busy lately, so it might be a while before they're officially integrated.
Those look good- I'd like the clone sticker to look a bit more like this:
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Virus2
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 5:23 am

Can do, i was just working with a virus as my base. So rod with a diamond head, some spider legs and what slightly resembles a penis? Can do. I will do some work tomorrow. Any more concept diagrams for me to work with, Scio?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 7:02 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Can do, i was just working with a virus as my base. So rod with a diamond head, some spider legs and what slightly resembles a penis? Can do. I will do some work tomorrow. Any more concept diagrams for me to work with, Scio?
Let me see... I'll scan some soon...
The head should be an icosahedron, the stem a cylinder.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 800px-Icosahedral_Adenoviruses
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 9:48 pm

~sciocont wrote:
It'll end up looking like a diamond in the 2d sprite anyways, Scio. But i'll add some faint lines to make it look a bit more like that shape if i can get it to look any good.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 9:59 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
It'll end up looking like a diamond in the 2d sprite anyways, Scio. But i'll add some faint lines to make it look a bit more like that shape if i can get it to look any good.
Ok, I'm just trying to give you as much info as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe Stage Final Draft
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next