Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+93
JoseAAV
Disastericks
Secondkingstons
EnergyKnife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Jimexmore
Grimm Reaper
Atrox
Xazo-Tak
HariboTer
Naevius
jay sheddan
Im a Peanut
Tritium
Tarpy
Narnobie123
Gawbad
Nimbal
Thriving Cheese
WJacobC
FunnyGames
PerfectOrganismil
TheSmart_1
Dilophoraptor
untrustedlife
BioMike
energypro
RodGame
protoast
Cobalt58
jman12351
Sundu
ExtraSolar
Dumb_person69
spacetime_dinosaur
Oliveriver
Calfeggs
NikolaAnicic007
MitochondriaBox
Tré Wisemen
SmartGenius
ComradeDoc
THRIVE
thrivepedia
beachbum111111
WilliamstheJohn
ingaborgasaurus
Raptorstorm
alduin2013
decelis93
Noone
gvd72
Jopetsu
Daniferrito
M3rox
Rorsten594
roadkillguy
Silver Sterling
Carnifex
Seregon
PREDAL1ENWARRIOR
GamerXA
Brennus
nziswat
PHILmg
NickTheNick
wwewar
ethroptur
Orygandian2
penumbra espinosa
Pezzalis
zippybomb
jmc-24
Holomanga
MeowMan1
Kraeken
Crimsonspawn
Hegataro
Theusfilipe
PTFace
Doggit
Sgt. Lost Time
US_of_Alaska
Admiral Van Tromp
ido66667
D4RK_VOID
bill2505
Dr_Chillgood
Tenebrarum
Army-Lion
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
The Uteen
97 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
spacetime_dinosaur
Newcomer
spacetime_dinosaur

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 3:41 am

there are lots of different toxins, poisons and venom, that each act differently, as well as different ways to store genetic information (RNA and DNA naturally on earth, but we have synthesized at least 6 Xeno Nucleic Acids, that could form natural on earth, and there could be non double-helix structures too) with the toxins you could have a few with diffident actions, but how are you going to deal with genetic storage, just stick to what we are certain of?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 4:43 am

What? You just wrote a 5-lines sentence, that starts mentioning toxins and poisons, then talks about diferent alternatives to dna, and finishes with a question mark.

I'm not sure what were you trying to say.
Back to top Go down
spacetime_dinosaur
Newcomer
spacetime_dinosaur

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 5:12 am

new with better spacing... i think

there are lots of different toxins, poisons and venom, that each act differently, with the toxins you could have a few with diffident actions (eg. a few neurotoxins and some that cause clotting etc.)

there are also different ways to store genetic information (RNA and DNA naturally on earth, but we have synthesized at least 6 Xeno Nucleic Acids, that could form natural on earth, and there could be non double-helix structures too), but how are you going to deal with genetic storage, just stick to what we are certain of?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 5:56 am

Unless different genetic storage change how the creature works, evolves or anything, i dont think we should even care about it. If there are changes on the molecular level, but once you zoom out everything is exactly the same, then there is no point to differenciate them or care bout them at all.

However, if there were substantial changes, then we would have a reason to add something like that. I believe there are creatures with triple helix. Does that make them different in any way?

Oh, and it was not only the spacing. Placing full stops to mark where a sentence stops and the next one starts would be good as well.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:28 am

Here is a new release of Thrive. Nimbal has done a huge work at rewriting the engine so it can be accesed through lua scripts and implementing multithreading as well.

All you can see on the screen is added through the script situated at: "dist/scripts/test.lua". If you edit it and rerun the game, you will see all the changes inmediatly.

I've recently implemented bullet and irrKlang into the game as well. Bullet is a physic engine that we will use to simulate all physic interactions, but is not used yet in any way. irrKlang is a sound library, which we will use to play music, sounds and whatever. It is not integrated into the engine, but for now, i have the Thrive main theme v1 (from the music bundle) playing from startup on a loop.

There are no longer bouncing cells, but there is a trippy background to make up for that.

The download can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhqsro69av97a8x/dist.rar

I'll add this to the thrive releases as version 0.1.0
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:52 am

By the way, we will need a detailed specification of the microbe stage soon. The engine is taking shape fast, but there's still very little concrete documentation about what it's actually supposed to do. The microbe stage's wiki page is rather bare. The Final Draft is a start, but I'm not sure how relevant that information is anymore and in many places, it's more vague than I am comfortable with as a programmer.

Ideally, we would be able to "play" the game with a pencil and a piece of paper, and for that, we need a set of rules. So, is there anyone who is (or wants to be) responsible for the gameplay design of the microbe stage?
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:53 am

I'll check it out when I get home, anything special I can do with the lua scripts or is it pure lua? (no connects etc)

------------
I would take that job If I wasnt so busy Nimbal.

Is Nick in control of this?
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 1:29 pm

You can have a look at test.lua in the scripts directory. There's not much you can actually do yet, though. As an exercise to get a feeling for Lua, you could try and spawn several entities and make them go in circles.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Are you excited about forum revamp and new subforums?

Wow, we collected so much sciene here we could make ultimate encyclopedia if we dont make game.
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 3:09 pm

I was thinking if it was possible to add in the galaxy on planet Earth (as in Spore), but much more "hidden" and populated (maybe during the Second World War .. but it is just an idea).

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:00 pm

I realized that the file i uploaded didnt play any music. An extra slash was causing the problem. The link is the same. Can anybody confirm that the file is working, and playing thrive's main theme?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhqsro69av97a8x/dist.rar
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:34 pm

I got it to work, and the theme plays flawlessly. However, is the background supposed to keep zooming out, resetting back to the base zoom, and looping?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Nimbal wrote:
By the way, we will need a detailed specification of the microbe stage soon. The engine is taking shape fast, but there's still very little concrete documentation about what it's actually supposed to do. The microbe stage's wiki page is rather bare. The Final Draft is a start, but I'm not sure how relevant that information is anymore and in many places, it's more vague than I am comfortable with as a programmer.

Ideally, we would be able to "play" the game with a pencil and a piece of paper, and for that, we need a set of rules. So, is there anyone who is (or wants to be) responsible for the gameplay design of the microbe stage?

Very good point. I don't think there currently is a lead for this area of development. I would not want to be one unless there were no other candidates, because I am much weaker at helping out with the pre-sapience stages of the game. I would recommend that we devote a thread to first find someone for this position, and then to discuss and coordinate the following development. I suggest this thread, since I already have used it to get us into getting the base game started, and we can use the second post, which I reserved, for compiling the list of steps to carry out. I can also edit in a blurb at the end of the original post to update it for our current state.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:22 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
I got it to work, and the theme plays flawlessly. However, is the background supposed to keep zooming out, resetting back to the base zoom, and looping?

Yes. That is part of the script, as Nimbal was trying different features with lua.
Back to top Go down
Xazo-Tak
Newcomer
Xazo-Tak

PostSubject: We should get the attention of someone popular who likes science and stuff.   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:03 pm

People such as Randall Munroe or Vsauce.
If someone internet famous likes all our discussions and makes side mention of Thrive, we could see the Reddit spike repeated. The question is, how do you get the attention of such a person? They'll very likely show interest, I think Randall liked Spore.
Back to top Go down
http://xazo-tak.deviantart.com/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:23 pm

I merged the thread with this one, because this topic has been discussed multiple times before and it not a currently compelling issue.

What would we attract them with? Plain concept doesn't cut it. Any ideas like this are far better off once we are farther in our development. I think a safe threshold of that would be once we have a sufficiently playable Microbe Stage.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptySun May 19, 2013 9:04 am

NickTheNick wrote:
What would we attract them with? Plain concept doesn't cut it. Any ideas like this are far better off once we are farther in our development. I think a safe threshold of that would be once we have a sufficiently playable Microbe Stage.

Music maybe? (I'm just kidding - I agree that we certainly need a more complete microbe stage in order to move forward with this sort of thing).

Speaking of music, here's a new theme I've just composed for the defeat or severe crippling of an army in the industrial stage:

It's inspired by the chord sequence of Erik Satie's Gnossienne No.1 and I'm quite proud of it, but I'm not too sure whether it would be suitable for the game, mostly because of its length.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptySun May 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Beatufuil work!
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:31 pm

That's amazing mate!
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptySun May 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:

Music maybe? (I'm just kidding - I agree that we certainly need a more complete microbe stage in order to move forward with this sort of thing).

Speaking of music, here's a new theme I've just composed for the defeat or severe crippling of an army in the industrial stage:

It's inspired by the chord sequence of Erik Satie's Gnossienne No.1 and I'm quite proud of it, but I'm not too sure whether it would be suitable for the game, mostly because of its length.

I really like the song congratulations! I will soon publish new songs on stage multicellular.

The song is completely yours?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptySun May 19, 2013 3:38 pm

As I said, I used the chords from Gnossienne No.1 by Erik Satie, but apart from that it's all my own composition.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptySun May 19, 2013 5:02 pm

So it's decided that new organelles will be unlocked by consuming cells? I always imagined it would be something like a techtree tough oh well.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptySun May 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:

Very good work. However, might I suggest you also make, when you can, a more orchestral version of a defeat theme? I don't want to put a damper on this beautiful piece, but to me it seems more like the defeat of a single person than that of a whole army. The best example I could get of the kind of theme I am imagining was this.

EDIT: After listening to my example again, I realized it might give too much of a middle-age European theme, but it's the best I could find and its not a bad theme to give off.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 6:01 am

Anyways, i hav pretty Misc. quenstion:

On Revolutionary Games site, i sen that Scio BECOME overall team lead after some time, which means he was not always team lead.
So i have quenstion:
Was there (except Sven) overall team lead before Scio?
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 7:40 am

Before Scio, there was no Thrive, only Evolutions!. And I've heard you will be eaten by EvoBeast if you talk about Evolutions!...
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 32 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 32 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next