Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Evolution of Parts Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Evolution of Parts Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Evolution of Parts Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Evolution of Parts Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Evolution of Parts Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Evolution of Parts Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Evolution of Parts Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Evolution of Parts Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Evolution of Parts Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Evolution of Parts Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Evolution of Parts Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Evolution of Parts Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Evolution of Parts Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Evolution of Parts Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Evolution of Parts Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Evolution of Parts Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Evolution of Parts Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Evolution of Parts Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Evolution of Parts Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Evolution of Parts Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Evolution of Parts

Go down 
+3
The Uteen
Hellome118
D4RK_VOID
7 posters
AuthorMessage
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 2:17 am

Hey how will the parts/limbs be in the game?
When in the editor do we drag and drop then play the game with those features?

I had this idea where we add a part in the editor then as we play the game they slowly grow, so its more like evolution.
eg. When you add legs or wings they shouldn't be ready as soon as you put them on, rather slowly grow and then depending on your mass (weight etc) they will become available for use.
Back to top Go down
Hellome118
Newcomer
Hellome118

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 7:26 am

Growing is not like evolution, growing happens during a lifetime, evolution happens over millions of years.

I believe the editor will be somewhat like Spores Editor. (I have been un-active for a while, but I read every now and then.) Read up on the organism editor thread.

Here

I agree with you in some sense, that you should have to 'learn' to use things like wings, but it should be based on age. (Larger bodymass would make it harder to fly)

Hope that helped.

P.S: Hello again Thrive.
Back to top Go down
http://novelmicro.co.uk/
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 8:29 am

Hellome wrote:
Growing is not like evolution, growing happens during a lifetime, evolution happens over millions of years.

I believe the editor will be somewhat like Spores Editor. (I have been un-active for a while, but I read every now and then.) Read up on the organism editor thread.

Here

I agree with you in some sense, that you should have to 'learn' to use things like wings, but it should be based on age. (Larger bodymass would make it harder to fly)

Hope that helped.

What I mean is as we are playing the game 1 second is like half a million years, so that's why I said can the parts slowly grow because it takes years, and years to develop new parts through evolution.
Do you get where im coming from?
And also it would be nice to see the parts slowly growing. Then depending on mass (height, weight) you learning how to use them.
Even if we cant add this feature due to being too complicated or too time consuming, we could after exiting the editor have like 2 seconds of the parts growing out of the body.

PS:
Just noticed both of our signatures is about our computer specs
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 4:31 pm

D4RK_VOID wrote:
Hellome wrote:

Here

Hope that helped.

What I mean is as we are playing the game 1 second is like half a million years, so that's why I said can the parts slowly grow because it takes years, and years to develop new parts through evolution.
Do you get where im coming from?
And also it would be nice to see the parts slowly growing. Then depending on mass (height, weight) you learning how to use them.
Even if we cant add this feature due to being too complicated or too time consuming, we could after exiting the editor have like 2 seconds of the parts growing out of the body.

PS:
Just noticed both of our signatures is about our computer specs

I see what you mean, but no, it doesn't work quite like that. Parts won't grow over time, to represent the development through evolution over billions of years. We seem to be doing it more like evolution on overdrive, with mutations visibly occurring much more frequently (over single generations). If you want to get into how exactly time works in Thrive, well, to put it short, it doesn't. We'll probably have entire species rise and fall in the time it takes for civilisation to reach space, but it works, and I'm not complaining.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 pm

What Uteen said.

We can't give accurate evolution, as that obviously takes to long. If we just sit and condense that, it throws off the gameplay. So instead, we just have it occur every generation.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 pm

[/thread]
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 pm

~sciocont wrote:
[/thread]
?
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:10 pm

The Uteen wrote:
We seem to be doing it more like evolution on overdrive.

Evolution on overdrive is Spore. Are we not trying to keep away from that?
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 9:15 am

D4RK_VOID wrote:
Evolution on overdrive for the PLAYER is Spore. None of the other creatures evolved in that game, they just remained static or on occasion just switched to an entirely different species.. We're trying to get it so the other creatures evolve with you. And evolution HAS to be sped up compared to real life, otherwise you'd hardly notice it in game. Do you think it would be very fun to play if you can evolve so much, and the other creatures maybe change in size slightly or just start growing a horn? Your species would seem like an evolutionary freak, and quickly out compete everything else. And slowing down player evolution to match NPC evolution would also take fun out of the game, since you'd barely be able to alter the appearance of your creature.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 6:55 pm

tklarenb wrote:
D4RK_VOID wrote:
Evolution on overdrive for the PLAYER is Spore. None of the other creatures evolved in that game, they just remained static or on occasion just switched to an entirely different species.. We're trying to get it so the other creatures evolve with you. And evolution HAS to be sped up compared to real life, otherwise you'd hardly notice it in game. Do you think it would be very fun to play if you can evolve so much, and the other creatures maybe change in size slightly or just start growing a horn? Your species would seem like an evolutionary freak, and quickly out compete everything else. And slowing down player evolution to match NPC evolution would also take fun out of the game, since you'd barely be able to alter the appearance of your creature.
Hang on, isn't the last on what we're doing? A limited OE for tweaks*?

And I wouldn't say Spore is evolution on overdrive, when you can basically create anything you want at any time in the editor, that's just creation, really. Although, you do need certain parts to 'max out' your creature, so it's not quite creation, it's... Something else. Let's just think of Spore's system as a mutant hybrid cyborg zombie... biscuit. It just doesn't work well no matter how you look at it.

*Or the directional editor, which will change it drastically, but over an appropriate period of generations relative to the amount of change
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 9:54 pm

D4RK_VOID wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
We seem to be doing it more like evolution on overdrive.

As Uteen said, spore was creation. Thrive is evolution. Since evolution is going to be happening at an extremely ramped-up pace, evolution on overdrive is a great way to describe it.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 9:20 pm

I would like the game more if it was slight tweaks each generation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Evolution of Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Parts   Evolution of Parts Empty

Back to top Go down

Evolution of Parts
Page 1 of 1