Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Plant Gameplay

Go down 
+28
dinoman9877
PortalFan1000
penumbra espinosa
Cellular Dinosaur
Daniferrito
ido66667
Thriving Cheese
kingTherapsids
masternetra
Ac-curious-Thrive-fan
zippybomb
Kraeken
roadkillguy
Holomanga
Mysterious_Calligrapher
MeowMan1
Theslimy
PTFace
Holbenilord
Mixotroph
The Uteen
Tenebrarum
Pezzalis
Zetal
jaws2blood
~sciocont
GamerXA
tklarenb
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
zippybomb
Newcomer
zippybomb

Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 2:42 pm

I think he means fungus is fine but mind-control fungus isn't an option.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 3:17 pm

zippybomb wrote:
I think he means fungus is fine but mind-control fungus isn't an option.
Correct.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 3:28 pm

got it.
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 5:22 am

I think a Cordyceps-like fungus appearing in auto-evo would be interesting. Imagine walking around as your creature when suddenly a member of you pack climbs up a tree and waits to be eaten.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Holomanga wrote:
I think a Cordyceps-like fungus appearing in auto-evo would be interesting. Imagine walking around as your creature when suddenly a member of you pack climbs up a tree and waits to be eaten.
Indeed. However, since it's so small, the fungus wouldn't be part of auto-evo. It would be a disease, and diseases are handled with arbitrary mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Ac-curious-Thrive-fan

PostSubject: Was this discussed before?   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 11:55 pm

On the concept of life, since this is about "alien" worlds, are we only talking about carbon lifeforms? Or can they be based off of other things? Also, can people play as animal/plant hybrids? Or will it be one or the other??
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 6:02 am

Ac-curious-Thrive-fan wrote:
On the concept of life, since this is about "alien" worlds, are we only talking about carbon lifeforms? Or can they be based off of other things? Also, can people play as animal/plant hybrids? Or will it be one or the other??
I don't believe that there is such thing, conceptually, as a hybrid between animals and plants.

On an alien planet we could not necessarily make the distinction between an animal and a plant, there may be plants which regularly move but still photosynthesize (such as on a slow rotating planet to keep up with the sun).

Even the common distinction for plants as a sessile, photosynthesizing Organism is not universal. For example several animals remain sessile there entire adult life and a type of worm relies on photosynthesis (albeit symbiotically with plants) to survive. Originally fungi were classified as a type of plant and have been found to be biologically similar to animals.

In the case of evolution, animals and plants just happen to have been separated by a large frame of time. It seems that the only conceptual distinction between the two are niches (which I could talk further about my views on).

Oh dear, I seem to have gone off on a tangent. Basically, I have a very strong belief that animals and plants (and Fungi) can essentially be treated the same by the program for all purposes.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 9:09 am

GamerXA has covered most of the animal/plant hybrid stuff. In short, the player can play as any organism.

I think we are either sticking with carbon-based, because we understand it the most, or just not making the distinction between carbon-based and other forms of life. Either way, making a distinction will be lots of work, will lead us into highly theoretical areas of biology, and wont really benefit the player in any way, so non-carbon life wont be a feature.
Back to top Go down
masternetra
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Yea I would also in general love to play as a plant species that develops into a civilization, I would think the path of evolution would take longer as photosynthesis and what not would have to be advanced far enough to support a brain and movement. I know it hasn't occured on earth, but just because it hasn't happended on earth doesn't mean it can't happen or hasn't happen elsewhere in the universe.

Gameplay wise it should be a painfully slower evolution route, but a available one sense there is incentives for developing movement such as gaining access to locations with more water and sunlight (to start), avoiding omnivores and herbivores, societies would start off with the point of defense againest omni/herbivores and with technological advancement plant civs would probably focus more selective breeding and genetics to advanced their photosyntheic capablities, which could also lead to them developing a preference and focus on Organic Technically and solar powered.

As for movement I was thinking in place of stomachs they could develop cavities where they can hunt for richer soil and animal droppings and consume that with intenal roots that are more absorbent. The hunt for locations for better sunlight and soil could be the starting incentives though.
Back to top Go down
kingTherapsids
Newcomer

Location : USA! USA! USA!....crap im falling for nationalism... XD

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:25 pm

i relly dont want the plant and animal kindoms to be seperate, after all have you seen alien planet? there is some type of animal/plant that shoots out of the ground and poisons the target, in there case a freaking big animal thingy...but it was thousands of them shooting up off the ground to the soft underbelly of the armored giant animal, but they actualy digested the tissues like a cell it dissolved and absorbed it! that would be great to have a rts element for colony animals, nad to have a speed up and slow down time button.....stalking would be much better when your waiting in a small hole or in this case waiting to strike the underbelly of a giant. also i want to have a carnivorous plant

and one last thing.

the organism editor you should choose what food you need to survive, you choose an animal, plant, fungi, or metal, that you can eat (choose more than one obiously) but this may help the issue with what ever you organisms nich needs. this will have some problem solving properties for the player and will make you reason about if you are a preditor you need wepons, ect. hope you like my ideas!
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:35 pm

No matter what race Thrive creates for us, we are still playing from a human perspective, which means we kind of have to classify things
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:34 am

GamerXA wrote:
I don't believe that there is such thing, conceptually, as a hybrid between animals and plants.

On an alien planet we could not necessarily make the distinction between an animal and a plant, there may be plants which regularly move but still photosynthesize (such as on a slow rotating planet to keep up with the sun).

Even the common distinction for plants as a sessile, photosynthesizing Organism is not universal. For example several animals remain sessile there entire adult life and a type of worm relies on photosynthesis (albeit symbiotically with plants) to survive. Originally fungi were classified as a type of plant and have been found to be biologically similar to animals.

In the case of evolution, animals and plants just happen to have been separated by a large frame of time. It seems that the only conceptual distinction between the two are niches (which I could talk further about my views on).

Oh dear, I seem to have gone off on a tangent. Basically, I have a very strong belief that animals and plants (and Fungi) can essentially be treated the same by the program for all purposes.

there ARE a snail on Earth that eats some plants in the beggining of its life and then becomes a snail-and-plant hybrid
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:35 am

Thriving Cheese wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

there ARE a snail on Earth that eats some plants in the beggining of its life and then becomes a snail-and-plant hybrid
Spoiler:

This is not really relevant for now... It will take a long time until we reach the Aware (Don't remember what was the name of the stage where you come to the land).

Also, the last post was in September.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 11:12 am

Still, i think we alredy had agreed that a mix between plants and animals could be possible. Basically, a moving photosyntetic creature.

Even through that mostly afects multicelular stage (which subdivides into aware and awake, being first person-action and third person-strategy respectively), it still affects unicelular, as in order to be photosytesic, you would need chloropasts, which you can only obtain in unicelular.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 11:21 am

Daniferrito wrote:
Still, i think we alredy had agreed that a mix between plants and animals could be possible. Basically, a moving photosyntetic creature.

Even through that mostly afects multicelular stage (which subdivides into aware and awake, being first person-action and third person-strategy respectively), it still affects unicelular, as in order to be photosytesic, you would need chloropasts, which you can only obtain in unicelular.

Well, I think that Auto - Evo covers all these stuff, Also, this is an old post... After all.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 11:48 am

I know this is just lengthening a thread that doesn't need more attention, but that snail is an example of symbiosis, not mixotrophism.
Back to top Go down
Cellular Dinosaur
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 6:09 pm

While on the subject of playing as plants, why not have another type of playable vegetation? Like mushrooms? or grass? If you played as a mushroom, maybe you could develop a type of harmful toxin to keep herbivores from eating you?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Cellular Dinosaur wrote:
While on the subject of playing as plants, why not have another type of playable vegetation? Like mushrooms? or grass? If you played as a mushroom, maybe you could develop a type of harmful toxin to keep herbivores from eating you?

I believe the consensus on this was that we wanted it, intend to program it and do the groundwork, but logically this form of gameplay will have more restrictions than a standard land animal, like the underwater option that has already been discussed. (Mushrooms are not plants, they are fungi, but I know what you meant. Theoretically, you could play as any type of plant or fungus if you really wanted to under the current concept.)
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:18 am

basically plant/fungal gamepley == RTS gameplay with survival and tower defense mechanics disguised as a gardener gameplay (huh, Plant vs Zombies?), or that's how i see it. it has sense, you play resource management and reproduction but the only action you have in the game is trying to survive against hazards and predation.

out of the joke, i dunno if this has been discussed before, but taking the example of the symbiotic slug. what about doing something in reverse with the plant?, i mean, the plant evolves to use for example, pheromones in order to control other organisms, or do it a la pikmin, infect a creature and take control of its brain functions (bulbmins). ok that sounds unlikely but the point i want to get is to see if a plant could reach sapience evolving towards a control role or just becoming gradually mobile via parasitism.
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:54 am

I personally oppose plant gameplay. As much as it fascinates me to do nothing all day but growing roots for nutrition, I don't imagine any play thinking to themselves "when I grow up, I'm going to be a mushroom!" Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 10:58 pm

It will allow people to create their own plant species. With the idea that the devs have for record-keeping forum of everyone's creations, it means you can add other peoples plants into your game. Basically, you won't see all the same plants in every game.
Back to top Go down
SchrodingersKitty
Newcomer
SchrodingersKitty

Location : Not sure yet, when we find a name for our quantum format, ill let ya know

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 12:22 am

Okay so, time to put on the serious mode hat.

Plant/Fungal play, besides just designing your own plants and fungi and other flora , the only way that this would be fun without getting old real fast, and this is a focus on fungi like Ophiocordyceps unilateralis(I can't post links so google that name and use wiki to learn about it), which takes over a host like an ant. Now into gameplay, this could become a interesting concept as a form of parasitic fungi play, either breed by actually being ingested, or breed by inhalation, maybe even breed just by being stepped on and having syringe like spines that once a specific amount of pressure presses down a fluid infects the animal that either tried to eat it or stepped on it. then comes the process of playing as a host, of course you don't get to pick your host, so whatever messes with your fungus is what you're stuck with until you can infect something else. Now to even this out of course, the chances of infecting a higher species would be a lot harder, due to things like nasal hairs and natural filters. Or is blood borne, immune systems. Once you finally get a chance to infect something, you get to play with that specific animal for a limited amount of time, make it do whatever you want, but make sure you let it die out in a place that will allow your fungus to reproduce accordingly, in this case i assume a warm, moist, and dark place, granted scavengers will most likely rip the body to shreds and scatter things everywhere either by excrement or otherwise. Just an idea there, i would go into a lot more detail and bring up many other forms of infective spreading as a fungus but i am going to leave room for people to use this, Now then if you really just want to be a PLANT, then maybe you need to go the unrealistic route of a "Thorian"(Sentient plant species that is from Mass Effect 1, just google it, and i think thats a silly idea but meh whos to say its impossible)
Back to top Go down
MirrorMonkey2
Newcomer
MirrorMonkey2

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 3:49 pm

I have some ideas for the plant gameplay! I'm not sure if anybody already wrote this but I dont really have time to read all 10 pages...
1. Have you already discussed parasites? Although I think I read somewhere that you won't be able to play as a parasite by your own, but things like tree fungii or insect-like parasites that eat your roots. Or more sneaky parasites like bark beetles wich you sometimes recognize when it's already too late.

2. What about the ability to grow roots out of the ground? It would be easier to "catch" the rain water.

3. Behaviour editor options for the roots and for the branches like "grow straight up if you are surrounded by taller trees" or "grow to the side if you're on top" for the branches and "grow straight down to reach ground water" or "grow to the side to catch rain water more efficientlly" for the roots.

4. Different options of reproduction, although I'm pretty sure you've already disscused this. Here some examples:
a)Produce fruits that are eaten by herbivores wich withdraw them in their excrements.
b) Reproduction through pollen. Simple and to the point.
c)Simply wait for the seeds to fall to the grownd and start growing.

5. The plant could kill creatures nearby, maybe through poison fruits or spikes. Their rotten corpses would make a perfect breeding ground:twisted: 

What do you think of my ideas? I'm exited for your opinions:)
Back to top Go down
EnergyKnife
Newcomer
EnergyKnife

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:08 pm

MirrorMonkey2 wrote:
I have some ideas for the plant gameplay! I'm not sure if anybody already wrote this but I dont really have time to read all 10 pages...
1. Have you already discussed parasites? Although I think I read somewhere that you won't be able to play as a parasite by your own, but things like tree fungii or insect-like parasites that eat your roots. Or more sneaky parasites like bark beetles wich you sometimes recognize when it's already too late.

2. What about the ability to grow roots out of the ground?  It would be easier to "catch" the rain water.

3. Behaviour editor options for the roots and for the branches like "grow straight up if you are surrounded by taller trees" or "grow to the side if you're on top" for the branches and "grow straight down to reach ground water" or "grow to the side to catch rain water more efficientlly" for the roots.

4. Different options of reproduction, although I'm pretty sure you've already disscused this. Here some examples:
a)Produce fruits that are eaten by herbivores wich withdraw them in their excrements.
b) Reproduction through pollen. Simple and to the point.
c)Simply wait for the seeds to fall to the grownd and start growing.

5. The plant could kill creatures nearby, maybe through poison fruits or spikes. Their rotten corpses would make a perfect breeding ground:twisted: 

What do you think of my ideas? I'm exited for your opinions:)
1: What is your question?
2:You will almost surely be able to do that, but it only seems necessary on planets with hydrophilic soil, and I haven't got a clue how that would happen.
3: I believe it will be possible to set stimuli for plants, though I don't think tall trees would be a stimulent, maybe the resulting lack of sunlight.
4: Yes
5: I'm almost certain that that will be an option.

Last edited by EnergyKnife on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:42 pm

MirrorMonkey2 wrote:
Make sure to post your suggestions in an implementable format, i.e. with systems and relationships clearly identified mathematically and/or programmatically, and it will definitely be helpful and appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Plant Gameplay
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6