Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
 Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Empty
PostSubject: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 2:40 am

Okay, I was wondering... when you get really advanced, and you have metropilises all over the globe/galaxy, how will exploring them work in Org. Mode? I mean, I can't imagine the computer having to draw out all of those huge cities in such great deal of detail- I mean, I couldn't imagine it tracking ONE metropolis in such great detail- much less with all the dynamically-moving organisms and vehicles, all performing their own, individual tasks.

Of course, when you zoom out far enough, all the great detail and what-not would just be replaced by special effects, but I can't imagine how the computer would generate the city's detail, or how ot would remember that city in such great detail for the next time you enter it.

Also, what about cities that cannot be explored on the exterior- like ones that can only be survived in by staying in it's interior (*cough*cities that are at the bottom of the ocean*cough*)? We would really need to deck out the interiors system to get this to work.

Discuss this here.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 3:41 am

InvaderZim wrote:
Okay, I was wondering... when you get really advanced, and you have metropilises all over the globe/galaxy, how will exploring them work in Org. Mode? I mean, I can't imagine the computer having to draw out all of those huge cities in such great deal of detail- I mean, I couldn't imagine it tracking ONE metropolis in such great detail- much less with all the dynamically-moving organisms and vehicles, all performing their own, individual tasks.

Of course, when you zoom out far enough, all the great detail and what-not would just be replaced by special effects, but I can't imagine how the computer would generate the city's detail, or how ot would remember that city in such great detail for the next time you enter it.

Could be done with sectors. Computer would only load the sector you are in and sectors adjacent to your sector.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 6:58 am

Commander Keen wrote:
Could be done with sectors. Computer would only load the sector you are in and sectors adjacent to your sector.
Yes, but storing the layout of every city in one country, let alone a whole array of vastly populated planets, could easily be computer suicide.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:11 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Yes, but storing the layout of every city in one country, let alone a whole array of vastly populated planets, could easily be computer suicide.
Storing things in memory isn't that tough, and it won't affect performance once it's out of your RAM.

We'll use a lot of Background loading and model simplification, and i know Bashi's got a few tricks up his sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 12:35 pm

~sciocont wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Storing things in memory isn't that tough, and it won't affect performance once it's out of your RAM.

We'll use a lot of Background loading and model simplification, and i know Bashi's got a few tricks up his sleeve.

I'm sure he does- and I expect they're some pretty good ones! However, how would the computer... come up with the street-level details of the cities- and, there are some cities like I mentioned that you can only explore indoors. How would we be able to draw the interior of an entire city without the quality being annoyingly low?

Yes, storing data isn't that hard on your computer, but it's bad for the harddrive. This could easily be a 10 GB game- and then you've got that extra 5 GB you'll need for storing data and creations, ect. ect.

I know there's a way around these things, but I just would like to get things sorted out for the programmers when they get to these parts, and to remind us that we need to think about these little issues before we approach them in devlopment and they could potentially become big issues.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Would we be able to enter buildings or not?
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 12:51 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:
Would we be able to enter buildings or not?

Bashi said something about it not being impossible, but I'm not sure. It was in some other thread. I'll provide a link once I find that thread.

EDIT: I've searched everywhere, but I just couldn't find it.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
Yes, storing data isn't that hard on your computer, but it's bad for the harddrive. This could easily be a 10 GB game- and then you've got that extra 5 GB you'll need for storing data and creations, ect. ect. .

Minor things can be randomly distributed each time a sector is loaded. Each major thing could have 3 numbers in cache - type, and XY coordinates. That would be about 10 bytes for each building, meaning you can get about 100000 of structures in a 1 megabyte file. So, the biggest planet-wide cities could take about 10 megabytes, and that's quite low.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
Yes, storing data isn't that hard on your computer, but it's bad for the harddrive. This could easily be a 10 GB game- and then you've got that extra 5 GB you'll need for storing data and creations, ect. ect. .

Minor things can be randomly distributed each time a sector is loaded. Each major thing could have 3 numbers in cache - type, and XY coordinates. That would be about 10 bytes for each building, meaning you can get about 100000 of structures in a 1 megabyte file. So, the biggest planet-wide cities could take about 10 megabytes, and that's quite low.
Everything will be in the background if your camera cannot observe it directly. Also, Keen, we need a Z coordinate for when people get creative.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode    Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode Empty

Back to top Go down

Metropolis/Cities in Org. Mode
Page 1 of 1