Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+102
cyborghyena
The Creator
Halowraith1
Narstak
molden
amymist
NarotizaSquared
Aquos4
Gyrukilo
JackTheBlackWolf
Mazzy_M
Xazo-Tak
Epickitty
Rorsten594
pensist
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
jewelofleo
Falthron
Psych0Ch3f
Quasar
Armok: God of Blood
King Plorpadeus Ex
Lightning_Scarz
SuperLala
LegoHoss
Gecko
Tanglekat33
EnergyKnife
HariboTer
the froggy ninja
crovea
Linker90X
EVanimations
Evol4fire
TriggzSP
ByterranEmpire
Totemaster
Exploronaut
Jeklig
NuklearSerpent
masternetra
spacetime_dinosaur
Y. Guillemot
ThePoisonchocolate
leila777
ccarriel
Invader
ThreeCubed
meldebious
PropTheRedstoner
Glow Cloud
Seregon
Mouthwash
Captain Mcderp
IAMBEOWULF
Atrox
Doggit
Dalroc
SchrodingersKitty
alonerhapsody
Cellular Dinosaur
Silver Sterling
Spacer
Synpho Death
Raptorstorm
Zeyrock
Orygandian2
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
TheChubbyChihuahua
Shamanic W0lf
PortalFan1000
NikolaAnicic007
PerfectOrganismil
Inca
MitochondriaBox
DeanDactyl
Moterhead97
TheSmart_1
Oliveriver
ethroptur
Narnobie123
dinoman9877
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Jimexmore
WJacobC
Mixotroph
Madnesia19
Omnomnomable
Tritium
Daniferrito
~sciocont
Immortal_Dragon
untrustedlife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
Tarpy
M3rox
NickTheNick
WilliamstheJohn
106 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 5:37 am

I completely agree we should reintroduce that restriction.
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 1:40 am

I have an idea on biome generation. Forgive me if someone else had this idea(I suspect someone has), but without further ado, here it is:

Each part of the world is divided in large sections. Each section has stats that can be viewed at will, each containing a unique ecosystem and wildlife. The biomes are arranged in a way that has similar ecosystem stats. Instead of preset biomes, there is a slider that shows the temperature, humidity, minerals, etc. The player can rename biomes and the game will call the biomes the same if they have at least 3 similar or identical stats. This could make play throughs exiting every time because each time there's a completely different world instead of a patchwork of many different materials. Sorry if it was confusing at all.
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 1:50 am

Aaand I apologize for double posting, but I forgot about the creatures. It would have a Claude diagram like species ALRE, but it would also tell you their eating habits to know what animals to avoid and which ones to drag off to your family. Like species, it would tell you the dominance of that species and in neighboring biomes, and they would appear less or more depending on the location.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 2:15 am

Actually that's basically the premise of the current biome system. Planets are divided into tiles, with each tile having values for moisture, temperature, latitude, soil fertility, etc., and biomes will be generated as common groupings of contiguous tiles.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:25 am

NickTheNick wrote:
I believe that reintroducing the restriction on new users posting links or creating new threads would help, because thats the only thing I can think of that has changed recently to have caused the influx of spambots, and without it the spambots couldn't have done anything.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Lightning_Scarz
Newcomer
Lightning_Scarz

PostSubject: Space flight   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:47 am

In my opinion, there are two things required to make a true space stage: FTL speed, and gravity generation.
because prolonged space flight with no gravity would kill any organism and travel across the galaxy would be impossible without FTL.How are you guys actually planing to make these things possible? Naturally i would assume that in thrive these things would come via the research tree.
Back to top Go down
Lightning_Scarz
Newcomer
Lightning_Scarz

PostSubject: Units/Soldiers   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:03 am

In most Strategy games, in order to create units you have to build the required building. But due to the fact that in thrive in order to create a tool you have to research it, you can't simply "spawn" units with the required tool, eg if you haven't researched blades/weaponry you can't create a swordsman. So i was wondering, how is the military system going to work? Like would you research a certain tool, and use that tool to create a certain "class" so to speak,and depending on that classes tools, he might be better at certain tasks, such as a spear man (in most rts games) is far more effective against mounted units than an archer is. and in later stages you could create weaponry and attach those weapons to veicels (sorry for the spelling) in the same manner.

I know you guys haven't actually started making the RTS stages so I would appreciate if you at least considered my idea for it :).

So yeah, what ideas do the general public have for military stuff, and developers, do you already have an idea and what is it? PLEASE ANSWER!!!

Last edited by Lightning_Scarz on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Space flight   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:44 am

Yes, there is FTL, three technologies the player can research for it in fact

*Warp Drive
*Wormhole Generation
*Dark Matter Drive

Gravity generation I am unsure. But in the future please ask on the misc. thread rather than making a new thread, if it gets enough discussion on that thread first, then it will get its own thread, not before. Same goes for the other thread.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:58 am

M3rox wrote:
Hey, I just found this after years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYahlm5ag40
It's an awesome documentary about life on an alien planet which is orbiting a red dwarf.
Just as a little source of inspiration ;) 

BTW those creatures look really interesting and I'm wondering if they could be made in Thrive?
This also has a second half: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwEYFHSWXCA

But also, what would be the criteria for these restrictions on new users, I agree they will be needed, but what will differentiate between a new user and a user who isn't?
Back to top Go down
King Plorpadeus Ex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Question for you.   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 9:49 am

I know that you will be able to make your creature look anyway you want, but how strange, indeed, alien, can the creatures actually be? Like for instance, can I make a winged amphibian and lead it to space stage? Or a three legged animal with no sense of left or right? Will sexual dimorphism be in play?
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:21 am

With the way the OE is set up, it is really up to the player's imagination what they can and cannot build. The only real restrictions will be decided by the planet and the biome the creature lives in.

Sexual dimorphism will be possible with the caste editor option in the OE.
Back to top Go down
King Plorpadeus Ex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 am

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
With the way the OE is set up, it is really up to the player's imagination what they can and cannot build. The only real restrictions will be decided by the planet and the biome the creature lives in.

That answers my previous question fully, but what do you mean by the planet a creature lives in being a restriction? Does that mean that planets will have differing properties? Like gravity and atmosphere?

Edited for redundancy.

Last edited by King Plorpadeus Ex on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Redundancy.)
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 am

King Plorpadeus Ex wrote:
Immortal_Dragon wrote:

That answers my previous question fully, but what do you mean by the planet a creature lives in being a restriction? Does that mean that planets will have differing properties? Like gravity and atmosphere?

Edited for redundancy.
Yes.
Back to top Go down
King Plorpadeus Ex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Lightning_Scarz wrote:
Please read the READ BEFORE POSTING thread before posting, as the name entails. Your topics have been merged into this thread for a reason described on that thread.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Newcomer
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 2:58 am

Can you be a creature that lives on gas giant planets? And which stage would take the longest to develop?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 3:04 am

Yes, but for now we're sticking with just terrestrial life, until we've got that finished.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 7:09 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Yes, but for now we're sticking with just terrestrial life, until we've got that finished.
We could maybe relase it in a update.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Newcomer
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 4:54 am

Is it possible to have underwater civilizations that are made up of coral, kelp, maybe shells? Since you can't use metal or have fire underwater. Maybe the cities would get their energy from the sunlight just like how a coral uses sunlight to get energy. Sorry if this is stupid question
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 7:31 am

Gecko wrote:
Is it possible to have underwater civilizations that are made up of coral, kelp, maybe shells? Since you can't use metal or have fire underwater. Maybe the cities  would get their energy from the sunlight just like how a coral uses sunlight to get energy. Sorry if this is stupid question
That would still be stone age. Or coral age. Or kelp age.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:49 am

What I'm still wondering is, aside from any tutorials, how are players going to learn from their mistakes in Thrive? Are they going to have to just do trial and error, like evolution does in real life, or is there something Thrive could do to help them out?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Well that's a very general question. Could you be more specific? For example, in the strategy mode, you mostly learn by trial and error. You could send out a large phalanx based army to meet the army of an enemy nation, only to have it destroyed by an army of mobile and flexible light infantry.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Ah gotcha, well, I'm referring to the Aware Stage and other stages like Multicellular and Microbe, how are players going to learn from mistakes they make, where a simple trial could result in horrible decline within a single generation?

To be even more specific, will the player have access to information such as loss reports or population numbers, statistics for the most part, to get a general overview of the effects their choices have in the game.

Nice Rome reference too
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm pretty sure the only diagram the player can see is a Clade diagram showing the origin of all the species on the planet. Other than that, it's all just gameplay as your organism. Not until playtesting can we gauge how badly players will be punished for mistakes.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:07 pm

Ah ok cool.

EDIT: And I remembered something that went unanswered. What are the planned capabilities of the three FTL technologies? As in, will I have to construct gates for Wormhole Generators or install them on my capital ships due to energy cost, or will I be able to construct sled-like objects that dock to my smaller craft that allow Warp Drive or Dark Matter Drive capability. All in all, what are the limits they have in the game?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 29 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 29 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next