Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+102
cyborghyena
The Creator
Halowraith1
Narstak
molden
amymist
NarotizaSquared
Aquos4
Gyrukilo
JackTheBlackWolf
Mazzy_M
Xazo-Tak
Epickitty
Rorsten594
pensist
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
jewelofleo
Falthron
Psych0Ch3f
Quasar
Armok: God of Blood
King Plorpadeus Ex
Lightning_Scarz
SuperLala
LegoHoss
Gecko
Tanglekat33
EnergyKnife
HariboTer
the froggy ninja
crovea
Linker90X
EVanimations
Evol4fire
TriggzSP
ByterranEmpire
Totemaster
Exploronaut
Jeklig
NuklearSerpent
masternetra
spacetime_dinosaur
Y. Guillemot
ThePoisonchocolate
leila777
ccarriel
Invader
ThreeCubed
meldebious
PropTheRedstoner
Glow Cloud
Seregon
Mouthwash
Captain Mcderp
IAMBEOWULF
Atrox
Doggit
Dalroc
SchrodingersKitty
alonerhapsody
Cellular Dinosaur
Silver Sterling
Spacer
Synpho Death
Raptorstorm
Zeyrock
Orygandian2
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
TheChubbyChihuahua
Shamanic W0lf
PortalFan1000
NikolaAnicic007
PerfectOrganismil
Inca
MitochondriaBox
DeanDactyl
Moterhead97
TheSmart_1
Oliveriver
ethroptur
Narnobie123
dinoman9877
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Jimexmore
WJacobC
Mixotroph
Madnesia19
Omnomnomable
Tritium
Daniferrito
~sciocont
Immortal_Dragon
untrustedlife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
Tarpy
M3rox
NickTheNick
WilliamstheJohn
106 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 4:58 am

jewelofleo wrote:
I have noticed that there is very little talk on bioluminescence. It could be used in almost all stages in one way or another. For example, it is first introduced during Microbe Stage and is used as a very early communication, in Aware Stage it can be used to light up your creatures world and make them look awesome :P, In Awakening Stage it could be used to communicate with other of your species and in late Industrial Stage and Space Stage utilized for genetic engineering. We will most likely use it at one point or another (mostly likely Aware Stage because, let's face it there is something about cool glowing creature that bring out the 5 year old in us :P) and we really have not touched upon it. How will it work? How else can we utilized it?  Discuss my minions :twisted: :P !
I already have created a concept for one in organ design thread.
Back to top Go down
jewelofleo
Newcomer
jewelofleo

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 8:56 am

Oh :oops:, could you link me please?
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Back to top Go down
jewelofleo
Newcomer
jewelofleo

PostSubject: Bioluminescence   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 pm

I don't see anything on bioluminescence....
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Back to top Go down
timetraveler
Newcomer
timetraveler

PostSubject: Background design   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 4:06 pm

In microbe stage, will there be a back ground texture to make it lively? Instead of it being just a gradient, or a plain simple color. I'm just wondering since I haven't seen or read anything about that.
Back to top Go down
jewelofleo
Newcomer
jewelofleo

PostSubject: Bioluminescence   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 5:30 pm

:) I like your concept Will, though I think it could be built upon.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 5:06 am

timetraveler wrote:
In microbe stage, will there be a back ground texture to make it lively?  Instead of it being just a gradient, or a plain simple color.  I'm just wondering since I haven't seen or read anything about that.
Yep, there will be.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 11:21 pm

I had a question that went unanswered.

With the possibility of microbes of very different sizes, I am wondering what is going to keep one microbe from engulfing another microbe that is much larger than itself, so much so it would be impossible.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 10:36 am

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
I had a question that went unanswered.

With the possibility of microbes of very different sizes, I am wondering what is going to keep one microbe from engulfing another microbe that is much larger than itself, so much so it would be impossible.
I am pretty sure that it really isn't that big of a challenge to just check the hitbox surface and see if it is larger than the microbe in question...
Back to top Go down
MirrorMonkey2
Newcomer
MirrorMonkey2

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 5:34 pm

I had this thought while watching a film about the african jungle in geography.
The elephants communicate over very deep sounds that no other animals can hear. THe sound can be heard over miles, so if an elephant finds a tree with fruits it calls its mates, wich come and eat from the fruits too. That made me think about some sort of frequency scale. I'm not a anatomy expert but you could maybe edit your hearing organs and the organs you make sound with to change the frequences they can produce and hear (it makes sense to make both equal so they can communicate proberly.)Example: a herbrivore finds some fruits and wants to inform its herd but there are carnivores nearby. If the carnivores only can hear high noises and the herbrivores communicate with deep sounds it could easily call its herd without drawing the carnivores attention on himself.
Sorry if you've already discussed this and also sorry for my bad english...
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Too complex of an idea for now. Right now we're focusing on developing the microbe stage. That's something we won't be able to address until much later.
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 6:46 am

Could you stay in microb stage while other species advance and stuff?
This question goes for all stages.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 8:43 am

No they will not, since the timescales between stages will be so different. If you were in the Aware Stage, a sapient species will be in the stone age one day, the next they will be going off into space. And in Microbe Stage you could only encounter other microbes anyway to my knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Lightning_Scarz
Newcomer
Lightning_Scarz

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 am

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
No they will not, since the timescales between stages will be so different. If you were in the Aware Stage, a sapient species will be in the stone age one day, the next they will be going off into space. And in Microbe Stage you could only encounter other microbes anyway to my knowledge.
Are you saying/implying there isn't going to be a day and night cycle in thrive?
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 7:39 am

No, there will be a day/night cycle, it is what that cycle represents in game time is what is different. In the Aware Stage for example, one day is going to be a significant part of the planet's year for the player. As the player species advances, the game is simulating less and less portions of time, since evolution for the species itself stops and the progress of their technology begins.

This is why other species won't be allowed to advance ahead of the player in terms of sentience/sapience at least, one day for the player would have the other species be in the stone age and the next they are in space. For any other stages aside from Aware to Awakening I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Lightning_Scarz
Newcomer
Lightning_Scarz

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 10:07 am

I've been wondering about this for a while,

What are the size comparisons (based on gravity) for life forms going to be like?
On high gravity planets for instance, are life forms going to be flat and short, or just big in general?
Or with lower gravity planets are things going to be tall? Or are all life forms going to have the ability to grow any size?
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 10:14 am

Yes, gravity will have an effect on creatures, higher gravity requires a creature to have thicker legs to grow taller than on a lower gravity planet, where you can get away with stilt legs.
Back to top Go down
Psych0Ch3f
Newcomer
Psych0Ch3f

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 10:31 am

I agree with Immortals logic there with the gravity but I think there's something we should remind ourselves (In general with misc. question):
When we get to actually programming this stage, there may be considerable changes and certain features we thought were going to happen may be removed (or put in later updates).
So in asking the question, are you really really really doing anything except for satisfying your own thirst for knowledge? And are you aware that the answer isn't even an answer usually, but a generalized common sense response?
Questions that possibly stimulate discussion on things that do have a large impact on the game (currently) would be favourable. just sayin'
Plus, I have a feeling the microbe stage will be ommiting quite a few features in order to allow a quicker release. (Following Nick's logic that if we get a nice release we can boost activity on the forums and get the ball rolling again)
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 am

Psych0Ch3f wrote:
I agree with Immortals logic there with the gravity but I think there's something we should remind ourselves (In general with misc. question):
When we get to actually programming this stage, there may be considerable changes and certain features we thought were going to happen may be removed (or put in later updates).
So in asking the question, are you really really really doing anything except for satisfying your own thirst for knowledge? And are you aware that the answer isn't even an answer usually, but a generalized common sense response?
Questions that possibly stimulate discussion on things that do have a large impact on the game (currently) would be favourable. just sayin'
Plus, I have a feeling the microbe stage will be ommiting quite a few features in order to allow a quicker release. (Following Nick's logic that if we get a nice release we can boost activity on the forums and get the ball rolling again)
Exactly this.

People need to understand that giving predictions for very far-away future versions is like trying to get a bullseye with darts in a completely dark room. Although major features do have a general concept, even they are very prone to changes, not to mention how unsure one can be when discussing a minor future feature that hasnt event been discussed before.

Imagine having to predict what Minecraft 1.16 will look like....
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 11:50 am

Exactly Tarpy and Psychochef, these things aren't set in stone at this point, like you both just said.

Anyway, I actually have something for microbe, is the size of an engulfed microbe going to play into how many nutrients it provides to the microbe that engulfed it, and how long it takes to dissolve. Plus, is the player going to be given a possible way to escape being engulfed if it will take time to happen.
Back to top Go down
pensist

PostSubject: Has the idea of using this for educational purposes been explored?   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 12:06 am

I teach high school Biology and we deal with a lot of the topics that this game is looking to include. (I came across this looking for web based simulators for my classes to use dealing with population growth) My questions are :

1) Could this be used for education?

2) Could a shorter version of cells to the beginning of sentience be created? Or modified to play out in shorter time frames (a few hours of class time) The post civilization part seems huge and intense and from what I have read, and that is beyond where my science class ends.

Giving students experiences (in a game or real life) with cells, cell structures, nutrient needs, evolutionary processes, natural selection, environmental factors, ecosystems and the like would be AWESOME! I have always thought that gamers play games to experience a life or environment that they cannot on their own, through gameplay they get to live and learn as that character. What better way to learn about evolution and the multiple topics being covered in this game than to live them. And a game that ties directly to grounded scientific theories would be a great way to do that.

I'm new to the forum and apologize if this has been covered already, just wanted to ask. I have had the idea of a game that helps teach science topics floating around in my head for awhile.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 12:30 am

Welcome to Thrive pensist!

It's incredible to see people interested already for the game to be used in educational environments. I do believe it could be used to an educational extent. We are seeking to model as many of the relationships as accurate to observed science as possible. However, as a video game it still has many restrictions in how much detail it can go into. For that reason, I would think that something like Thrive would be optimal for making a student or user develop an interest in what is presented in the game, namely biology, evolution, astronomy, etc.

There definitely will be developments made along the way for the timespans of the game's stages to be reduced, as was used in the Sims games for people who wanted to spend more or less time with each family.

However, the development of Thrive, due to the nature of the project, is quite slow, and so I don't know how helpful we will be to you and others in the short run.

There are some other games that could be of more immediate use to you, in that they have already been developed (the latter is in its early stages). Cellcraft, a fun flash game about managing a cell and its organelles, and also Species: ALRE, a very unique and interesting game that allows the player to observe and even interfere with the evolution of a whole lot of organisms living in an ecosystem.
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 am

I've played Cellcraft, and I would have to say it holds up well to other games. As a flash game...just...phenomenal. I even learned a few things, truth be told. Anyway, speaking of the microbe stage, I have an idea: plasmids. No, not the stuff that lets you shoot bees or go crazy, but genetic material that can be sent through different species. These could give you 9-15 mutation points, but would be uncommon. Also, on another note, what is the fundamental difference between chloroplasts and thermoplasts?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 1:48 am

Portalfan, in regards to your suggestion with plasmids, please read the READ BEFORE POSTING thread before posting, for in it it states:

Quote :
When suggesting new ideas, make sure that they are implementable. Post them with an explanation of how they will be implemented. For example, it is very easy to suggest continental drift and dynamic planet tectonics, but it's important to take into account the context of the stages before and after the feature, the complexity versus the reward of the idea, and how well it would fit into the limitations of the game's engine and the current planet generation and data storage methods. As such, it helps to have experience in game development, or programming, when suggesting new features for the game.
Also, mutation points cannot be collected from the environment. This is a very important concept to understand.

Quote :
Also, on another note, what is the fundamental difference between chloroplasts and thermoplasts?
Thermoplasts use heat, while chloroplasts use light.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 35 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 35 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next