Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+102
cyborghyena
The Creator
Halowraith1
Narstak
molden
amymist
NarotizaSquared
Aquos4
Gyrukilo
JackTheBlackWolf
Mazzy_M
Xazo-Tak
Epickitty
Rorsten594
pensist
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
jewelofleo
Falthron
Psych0Ch3f
Quasar
Armok: God of Blood
King Plorpadeus Ex
Lightning_Scarz
SuperLala
LegoHoss
Gecko
Tanglekat33
EnergyKnife
HariboTer
the froggy ninja
crovea
Linker90X
EVanimations
Evol4fire
TriggzSP
ByterranEmpire
Totemaster
Exploronaut
Jeklig
NuklearSerpent
masternetra
spacetime_dinosaur
Y. Guillemot
ThePoisonchocolate
leila777
ccarriel
Invader
ThreeCubed
meldebious
PropTheRedstoner
Glow Cloud
Seregon
Mouthwash
Captain Mcderp
IAMBEOWULF
Atrox
Doggit
Dalroc
SchrodingersKitty
alonerhapsody
Cellular Dinosaur
Silver Sterling
Spacer
Synpho Death
Raptorstorm
Zeyrock
Orygandian2
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
TheChubbyChihuahua
Shamanic W0lf
PortalFan1000
NikolaAnicic007
PerfectOrganismil
Inca
MitochondriaBox
DeanDactyl
Moterhead97
TheSmart_1
Oliveriver
ethroptur
Narnobie123
dinoman9877
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Jimexmore
WJacobC
Mixotroph
Madnesia19
Omnomnomable
Tritium
Daniferrito
~sciocont
Immortal_Dragon
untrustedlife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
Tarpy
M3rox
NickTheNick
WilliamstheJohn
106 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 1:35 am

Please only post in one place. I addressed your idea here (https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1248p15-religious-math#27294).
Back to top Go down
ThreeCubed
Newcomer
ThreeCubed

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Please only post in one place. I addressed your idea here (https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1248p15-religious-math#27294).
Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Just went by the concept art thread and looked at ~scio's awesome concept picture, and it got me wondering. How is the game going to handle interactions between creatures of vastly different sizes, not just in combat but in general? Though it also brings to mind how will sapient species that are varying sizes fight each other, when their weapons are scaled to them so they do proportional damage?
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 6:12 pm

I really don't know tbh. I really think that all creatures have to be standardised to be similar in size to a point, just in order to interact with each other. Obviously still allowing a good degree of customisation.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Bigger orgs and weapons do more damage.
Back to top Go down
ThreeCubed
Newcomer
ThreeCubed

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Would that mean that smaller creatures would be able to attack and move faster to balance it out?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Possibly, but smaller weapons mean quicker movement.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Well, it's been a few years. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that Thrive still exists, although on the surface it doesn't seem much different from when I was last here. But this isn't exactly on-topic, is it? Let's ask some questions.

First off, did you ever manage to find any devs? I seem to recall a distinct lack of development (no lack of conceptualization!) back in the day, and I would hope that particular hurdle has been dealt with in the years I've been gone.

Also, I believe this question is mandatory for anyone "new" to the site: if you do have people capable of developing the game, then just how much has been achieved? How quickly are things getting done? Also, what are they currently working on?

Lastly, what's going on in the community? It's been roughly three years since I had anything to do with this place so I would imagine some stuff has changed since then- including new members. So, how are you veterans doing, and how's the forum population holding up?

Thanks for your time.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Hey dude, good to see you back! Of the oldies theres only really me still around (used to EMPatrick I think) and maybe ~scio (can't remember when he turned up).

There are some devs yes and work on the game has started, I think currently a save/load system is being implimented. We're working on the microbe stage which is pretty much fully worked out. Currently in the game you can swim about as a microbe and pick up energy.

As for community, theres no longer an off-topic section, we're not as tight-nit as we might be, but theres a good team of people here keeping things moving.

I'd give you a better intro back to whats going on, but I'd ridiculously tired and about to go to bed.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 10:01 pm

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but if the official Thrive wiki is on wikia rather than wikidot, why does the wiki link on the READ BEFORE POSTING box on the page still lead to the wikidot?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Invader wrote:
Well, it's been a few years. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that Thrive still exists, although on the surface it doesn't seem much different from when I was last here. But this isn't exactly on-topic, is it? Let's ask some questions.

First off, did you ever manage to find any devs? I seem to recall a distinct lack of development (no lack of conceptualization!) back in the day, and I would hope that particular hurdle has been dealt with in the years I've been gone.

Also, I believe this question is mandatory for anyone "new" to the site: if you do have people capable of developing the game, then just how much has been achieved? How quickly are things getting done? Also, what are they currently working on?

Lastly, what's going on in the community? It's been roughly three years since I had anything to do with this place so I would imagine some stuff has changed since then- including new members. So, how are you veterans doing, and how's the forum population holding up?

Thanks for your time.
Ahh, amazing to see you back. To answer your questions as best I can:

1. Yes, we have managed to get several game developers onto our team, enough to work on the Microbe Stage piece by piece, but we will never get any significant amounts until the first stage comes out, at the minimum (don't take that as a guarantee people that devs will flood in at first sight of a cell in a tidepool).
2. If you check out the Read Before Posting thread, there is a link to the current download links. There are also two podcasts that have been recorded (one is WIP), and there are several models and textures that have been done. There are also several prototypes, and work on gameplay/GUI concept. There is a full game design document outlining the whole stage.
3. Population and activity fluctuates from week to week, and even month to month. Back in spring, we had a Reddit post that attracted a lot of attention here and helped jumpstart our development. Since then we haven't had any big booms but have been working steadily. That's not to say we wouldn't like to have more of those booms, especially since the last one really helped us restructure our forum and prepare for the next.

@Immortal Dragon

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix that now. Wait, what am I saying. The reason it is so is because we decided to go back to using Wikidot, because of the limit of editing rights, but more importantly because of the quantity of ads on Wikia. It also means we don't have to spend a bunch of time moving content over.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 12:15 am

Invader wrote:
Well, it's been a few years...
Good to hear from you!
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 6:39 am

Welcome back! :D 

I've been trying to post replies to your Thrive topic on the 2K forums every now and then for the last month, but none of them seem to have worked. Even so, I'm glad you found Thrive of your own accord.

As I said in those messages I kept trying to post, we've made more progress in the last six months than the preceding four years put together, most of it due to the Reddit boom Nick mentioned. We have a new website (http://www.revolutionarygamesstudio.com/), several prototypes, a Game Design Document outlining most of the microbe stage's functionality, an actual game engine, plenty of new music, cell models, GUI elements, and a microbe stage concept animation which puts most of these things together.

Apart from Inca, ~scio and the odd visit from Mysterious_Calligrapher, The Uteen or Tenebrarum, there won't be any current major contributors you'll recognise from back in 2010.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 9:35 pm

It's a little disappointing to hear that there are so few oldies left, but I'm glad to see there's work being done and that we've still got some contributors. As for how I found my way back, I was actually informed that this place still exists by a couple of comments on YouTube advertising the project, though I don't recognize whoever posted them.

I'll probably look through the wiki and check back every now and again but I don't think I'll stick around the forums. Now that we've got the concept of the game more or less settled, I don't think there's a whole lot I could contribute. That being said, this new boost in productivity is definitely promising, and hopefully you'll get some more publicity as the project moves forward. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys are able to produce and hopefully I'll see you all again soon.
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 am

Welcome back to the forums! I am new here, and I'm excited to be a part of this project! I haven't done anything productive...yet. If only I knew how to code in c++ and compose...:( 
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Ok, two things.

1) How is the game going to handle hybridization, aside from it requiring a species that branched off from yours, this may have been answered before but I am not sure.

2) I think it has been confirmed (not 100% sure) that the player's species and others can actually be knocked to earlier stages of technology after gaining sapience due to war/destruction. Well, what would the game do if a Space stage civ was in a massive war (thinking something that makes 40k look like a firecracker) and is cut off from various colonies that it used to have, how will the game handle this?
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 3:19 am

Seriously though who would be running around searching for cousin species to rape? And most hybrids being infertile makes it even more pointless.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 7:46 am

I was playing Star Control 2 alot recently, and that is why i was so inactive lately. (Oh, and its a reason for my new avatar).
However, it made me think, will interstellar race enslavement be possible in Thrive? But more imporantly to me, will it be possible making other sentient species your battle thralls?
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 9:42 am

@Tritium

I'm really asking about hybridization in general, not just the player's own species. The hybridization process could also make better domesticated animals with hybrid vigor, if that's in the plan. (stronger, faster, more stamina, etc.)

@WilliamstheJohn

What exactly do you mean by battle thralls?
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 11:42 am

Immortal_Dragon wrote:

What exactly do you mean by battle thralls?
Slaves or etc. which fight on side of whoever enslaved them.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 5:24 pm

I don't know, slavery is a bit of a touchy subject, especially its portrayal in a game. I'm not against slavery being in the game personally, but how it's portrayed is what matters. One of the devs will probably need to put some kind of definitive answer on this, I know I can't provide one.

EDIT: no this is not me saying I would be okay with slavery in real life, slavery was a horrible thing, I'm just talking about possible portrayal or nonexistence of the practice in Thrive.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:28 pm

You can subjugate other nations into puppet states, and have their troops fight with yours, but slavery is too complicated to be in the game, considering the switch from Pops to Specialists.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:40 pm

What about something like irregulars, units that aren't professionals, and are only gotten when allied to another nation. I know Empire Total War did something like this, if you played as a European nation and allied with one of the Native American factions, you could recruit Native American irregulars, among other units.

My thoughts on a possible implementation if this idea is not shot down immediately is to simply make Irregular a tag in the unit editor, or its current equivalent, the nation that made it can still recruit them, but they are also available to allies for recruitment. May give the protectorates and other allied countries a bit of a boost if they can use each other's firepower. Hmm, maybe that isn't such a good idea now that I think about it.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Irregulars are not treated in that sense. Military units can either be recruited from Military Specialists or any other specialists (including citizens). There is yet to be clear cut terms for the different positions, but any military unit recruited from specialists other than the military specs have lower stats and are basically irregulars.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Wow, great, thanks for answering Nick, I completely forgot about the Specialist system.

Now two of my questions have remained unanswered.

1) Hybridization in general: is it going to be implemented at all, and what sort of ideas for implementation are there?

2) I think it might have been confirmed, the possibility of being knocked back to earlier stages of technology by war, what would happen if a space stage empire had this happen and they are cut off from stellar colonies, what will be done if/when this happens?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 19 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next