Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+64
moopli
ElementalRed
untrustedlife
Fangchamp
Kirillian
tjwhale
Patrick Rajesh
NickTheNick
MirrorMonkey2
Oliveriver
Lepticidio
MitochondriaBox
StealthStyle L
Zymoox
AwesomeSiebren
crovea
Psych0Ch3f
spacetime_dinosaur
RyuNeko932000
Daniferrito
Earthium Prime
HariboTer
Loony Toony
The Creator
K2017
Namor-Yrotciv
0eragonbioly0
Tidus Klein
anna0cat
Captain Mcderp
Atrox
PTFace
T0N12
Madero
DeanDactyl
Noltras
Tré Wisemen
ethroptur
Alexthe666
sporewow
giffman8
TheRabiesGuineaPig
ccarriel
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Tarpy
SawerGreem
Seregon
jman12351
Notsae66
Tritium
Scottnov
Inca
PropTheRedstoner
Marija Milosevic
amymist
Alex J G
dinoman9877
Armok: God of Blood
Pantheon_Gamer
tjblazer85
Diamond Pixel
Immortal_Dragon
darwin.the.gamer
Jupiter34
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 1:50 pm

A short while ago, I read through the game's xml files or whatever and read that, apparently, amino acid synthesis gives you ATP. I thought I'd try making a microbe in 0.2.3 that could survive on that alone, and, funnily enough, it worked!

I don't remember reading anything here saying anything about this, so is playing full anaerobe  like this a legitimate way of doing anything?

EDIT: To any who may ask, all the cell had was a nucleus, flagella and vacuoles (more than one, since one doesn't seem to be enough for anything for some reason).
Back to top Go down
MirrorMonkey2
Newcomer
MirrorMonkey2

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 6:14 am

After thinking about this a long time I just have to ask a unpleasant but important question:
On the official website it says the following:
Quote :
Currently, conceptual work is complete, meaning that programming on the microbe stage has started and is on track to be  released as version 1.0 by the end of the year.

Last winter we set our goal for the end of 2014 to release version 1.0. Today we're not even at 0.2.4. Although the game design document is finished since one year I feel like the coding is painfully slow. Since I'm not part of the coding team I don't know how difficult it is and I know all of you have a life besides Thrive too, but at this speed the microbe stage will be finished in 2018. I'm very thankfull for the work all of you do, but let's be honest: Is there anything we could do to speed things up a little bit? Also sorry if I offended anyone.
MirrorMonkey2
Back to top Go down
tjwhale
Theorist
tjwhale

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 7:07 am

Sure there is. If you want the programming to go faster you can

a) learn to program and help out directly or

b) recruit some programmers to help with the programming.

Otherwise you'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
PropTheRedstoner
Newcomer
PropTheRedstoner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi everyone, I'm back after several months of inactivity due to technical issues and critical memory failures. Did anything interesting happen while I was gone?
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 3:55 pm

PropTheRedstoner wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm back after several months of inactivity due to technical issues and critical memory failures. Did anything interesting happen while I was gone?

Well, they managed to get the groundworks of the GUI in, and the website's been tinkered with. They don't feel like 0.2.4 is ready just yet, but I assume it's pretty close to completion.
Back to top Go down
PropTheRedstoner
Newcomer
PropTheRedstoner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 3:57 pm

MitochondriaBox wrote:
PropTheRedstoner wrote:

Well, they managed to get the groundworks of the GUI in, and the website's been tinkered with. They don't feel like 0.2.4 is ready just yet, but I assume it's pretty close to completion.

Ah, good. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Notsae66
Newcomer
Notsae66

Location : Lost deep in the twisting tunnels of the great cults main base.

PostSubject: Orks and Tyranids...   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 5:29 pm

And by that I mean a fungus that attains sentience and bio-mechanical stuff. Now I haven't read every post ever so I don't know if this has been asked before, but would either of those be possible and if so, would a bio-mechanically focused race be acle to achieve acension?
Back to top Go down
Notsae66
Newcomer
Notsae66

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Did not mean too make a new thread... sorry.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Notsae66 wrote:

Eh, just wait for a mod to come by and put it on the Misc. thread.

Anyway, as for your qestion... It's not a matter of what it is, but if it can achieve a nervous system of any kind. If a fungal lifestyle can maintain energy-sapping sapience, then it works. As for bio-mechanical, well, I'm pretty sure that'll be a thing, so yeah.
Back to top Go down
Notsae66
Newcomer
Notsae66

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 6:50 pm

Cool. I just brought it up because I didn't see it anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 pm

NotSae wrote:

It's k, merged. I echo what MitoBox said, but taking it further:

Assuming Ascension etc will work as we all imagine (like, a quasimagical-supermachines-conferring-superpowers-on-your-civilization kind of thing), a bio-mechanically focussed race doesn't fit perfectly into that. You'll have to elaborate, but I assume you mean they'll be zerglike in their ability to modify their biology, using that as a substitute for (or in addition to) technology.

If this species is a player species, then you don't have to worry about whether the direction of evolution is reasonable, since player have the freedom to do things that don't make evolutionary sense. Otherwise, I really doubt a sessile detritivore would become sentient.

About 0.2.4; we've got the GUI basically done -- there's some saving/loading stuff that needs more work to be ready, and we've been thinking we'd like to get some more actual game mechanics in.
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 2:11 am

I encountered a problem when I was setting up CMake, and haven't found a solution.
Code:
Could NOT find PkgConfig (missing:  PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE)
CMake Warning (dev) at CMakeLists.txt:108 (add_subdirectory):
  The source directory

C:/Users/Siebren/Desktop/Thrive/Thrive-master/contrib/googletest

does not contain a CMakeLists.txt file.

CMake does not support this case but it used to work accidentally and is
  being allowed for compatibility.

Policy CMP0014 is not set: Input directories must have CMakeLists.txt.  Run
  "cmake --help-policy CMP0014" for policy details.  Use the cmake_policy
  command to set the policy and suppress this warning.
This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

CMake Error at C:/Program Files (x86)/CMake/share/cmake-3.1/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:138 (message):
  Could NOT find Bullet (missing: BULLET_DYNAMICS_LIBRARY
  BULLET_COLLISION_LIBRARY BULLET_MATH_LIBRARY BULLET_SOFTBODY_LIBRARY)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  C:/Program Files (x86)/CMake/share/cmake-3.1/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:374 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  cmake_modules/FindBullet.cmake:72 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  CMakeLists.txt:121 (find_package)
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 9:27 am

Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks!

I have it working now.
Every time I tried replacing mingw it would end up not copying bulletmultithreaded.
This was the only problem I encountered, and after placing it in manually, it worked!

I will start now.
Back to top Go down
Zymoox
Newcomer
Zymoox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi, I have discovered this game like a week ago, and I like the idea of making a realistic Spore. But I have a question. In the FAQ it says that if I want I can get involved, and then it says that I can only post if I get involved. How does that work? I awas able to post this and I'm not a developer.

And also, I have read the "get involved" post, and it says that "idea-people" are not allowed because every idea I can think possibly has already been though; but in the wiki there is almost nothing written. Why?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 2:37 pm

To answer your first question anyone signed up can post on this thread but to post on most others you first have to write an application by posting a new post with the NEW button. Hopefully, you will get put into a group and then you can post in that area.
Back to top Go down
Lepticidio
Newcomer
Lepticidio

Location : I don't really know where I will be when you read this.

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 9:24 pm

As I can't reply the Outreach Discussion topic, here is my attempt at doing a Thrive trailer:

As the last released version is 0.23, I cant't use any 0.24 footage. Are we looking for something like that?
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 10:03 pm

It looks great!

Lepticidio wrote:
As the last released version is 0.23, I cant't use any 0.24 footage. Are we looking for something like that?

I'm pretty sure they want to use 0.2.4 Indev so it has all the bells and whistles (new GUI and such). Still, this looks like it fits the purpose (if a tad early).

However, I think I heard something about Oliveriver going on an unholy rage on not liking one of the particular versions of the Thrive theme, and the one in the video might be it. If so, it might be good to wait for whatever improved theme version pops up, and maybe get some 0.2.4 up in it if it gets there.
Back to top Go down
Lepticidio
Newcomer
Lepticidio

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 6:13 am

MitochondriaBox wrote:
It looks great!

Thanks!

MitochondriaBox wrote:
However, I think I heard something about Oliveriver going on an unholy rage on not liking one of the particular versions of the Thrive theme, and the one in the video might be it. If so, it might be good to wait for whatever improved theme version pops up, and maybe get some 0.2.4 up in it if it gets there.

I used a theme suggested by him (vigeo), although I didn`t checked out the other suggested themes, perhaps they fit better.

I can make another version when 0.2.4 is released, perhaps adding some text description of the game?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 3:34 pm

Wow, it looks great! And yeah, that was the version of the theme I meant, although if something else from the music already in the game fits better feel free to use it.

Really my only suggestions would be to add some text snippets and mix up the way the different footage is interspersed - you've already done so a little with Tritium's trailer, as it has several distinct sections.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
MirrorMonkey2
Newcomer
MirrorMonkey2

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 8:48 am

It looks great! However, to me the gameplay scene and concept art kind of disturb the feeling of the CGI-sequences. Maybe someone could do a version without the non-CGI scenes? Kind of a Cinematic teaser trailer. (Don't get me wrong, I love it and see how important it is to show how far we already are and what our ideas of the later stages are. I just feel like a pure CGI-trailer would be great for outreach purposes.)
Back to top Go down
Lepticidio
Newcomer
Lepticidio

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 8:36 am

Thank you!

MirrorMonkey2 wrote:
Maybe someone could do a version without the non-CGI scenes? Kind of a Cinematic teaser trailer.

That kind of trailers already exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3IR2JtRM7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBZd94Ze_Xc

Oliveriver wrote:
Really my only suggestions would be to add some text snippets and mix up the way the different footage is interspersed - you've already done so a little with Tritium's trailer, as it has several distinct sections.

Ok, I will make another one once 0.2.4 is released.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Alright, I'm a tad flustered here. I know that the 2D-3D transition takes place after a certain number of cells is reached.

I thought that the Multicellular Stage ends and the Aware Stage begins right when this takes place. However, I'm starting to think about how, by my logic, sponges, trichoplax, and some plants and fungi (have plenty of cells, but no neurons whatsoever) would be in the Aware Stage right now (which apparently takes place when the creature is neurally complex enough).

So, does the Multicellular Stage extend into this 3D period?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 2:46 am

I attempted to address that, as well as the other stage transitions here.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 11:55 pm

Alright, since the forum's pretty quiet at the moment, I thought I'd ask an old question that didn't get a response (mostly due to more important matters regarding development pace). Thought now'd be a good time to get it back on the table.

MitochondriaBox wrote:
A short while ago, I read through the game's xml files or whatever and read that, apparently, amino acid synthesis gives you ATP. I thought I'd try making a microbe in 0.2.3 that could survive on that alone, and, funnily enough, it worked!

I don't remember reading anything here saying anything about this, so is playing full anaerobe  like this a legitimate way of doing anything?

EDIT: To any who may ask, all the cell had was a nucleus, flagella and vacuoles (more than one, since one doesn't seem to be enough for anything for some reason).

Note that I'm not referring to anaerobism, just this particular way of doing it.

EDIT: Woah, the thing uploaded twice. Took care of the duplicate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 19 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 29  Next