Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+64
moopli
ElementalRed
untrustedlife
Fangchamp
Kirillian
tjwhale
Patrick Rajesh
NickTheNick
MirrorMonkey2
Oliveriver
Lepticidio
MitochondriaBox
StealthStyle L
Zymoox
AwesomeSiebren
crovea
Psych0Ch3f
spacetime_dinosaur
RyuNeko932000
Daniferrito
Earthium Prime
HariboTer
Loony Toony
The Creator
K2017
Namor-Yrotciv
0eragonbioly0
Tidus Klein
anna0cat
Captain Mcderp
Atrox
PTFace
T0N12
Madero
DeanDactyl
Noltras
Tré Wisemen
ethroptur
Alexthe666
sporewow
giffman8
TheRabiesGuineaPig
ccarriel
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Tarpy
SawerGreem
Seregon
jman12351
Notsae66
Tritium
Scottnov
Inca
PropTheRedstoner
Marija Milosevic
amymist
Alex J G
dinoman9877
Armok: God of Blood
Pantheon_Gamer
tjblazer85
Diamond Pixel
Immortal_Dragon
darwin.the.gamer
Jupiter34
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 7:17 pm

Scottnov wrote:
Oliveriver wrote:
@Lepticidio
I've taken some of your footage and ideas (along with gameplay from this guy's gameplay video, which we should be able to get permission for), to make another concept for the trailer:

Technically, I did cheat slightly with the music as it's a Multicellular Theme instead of a Microbe one, but I think it fits a little better.

Also I suggest the final trailer should be uploaded to the official Revolutionary Games channel.
It looks amazing! It fits the atmosphere of Thrive very well.
I still think there needs to be a disclaimer somewhere like "the following is prototype footage" or something though.

Also, I had a side thought, instead of "Will you thrive?" being displayed during the middle, perhaps just before the planet scene plays it can say something like "Every species as a whole tries endlessly to survive. Adapting, hunting, feeding, reproducing...", wait a few seconds, then display "But the most important question is...", wait a bit longer this time, "Will you thrive?". I just thought this sounded more "Oh man. This game will be amazing when it get's going".

The gameplay we currently have, is not really a prototype it is basiclaly a pre-alpha version.Of course it will be completely different once finished though.
Back to top Go down
Lepticidio
Newcomer
Lepticidio

Location : I don't really know where I will be when you read this.

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:00 am

Oliveriver wrote:
@Lepticidio
I've taken some of your footage and ideas (along with gameplay from this guy's gameplay video, which we should be able to get permission for), to make another concept for the trailer:

Technically, I did cheat slightly with the music as it's a Multicellular Theme instead of a Microbe one, but I think it fits a little better.

Also I suggest the final trailer should be uploaded to the official Revolutionary Games channel.

Great work! I really like the text snippets and the music, although I wouldn't put the two thrive "intros" one right next to the other ( the dna cutscene and the planet one") Overall there are three logo cutscenes, so I would quit one.
Back to top Go down
Fangchamp
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 12:57 pm

Indeed,it will confuse some newcomers
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks everyone!

Scottnov wrote:
It looks amazing! It fits the atmosphere of Thrive very well.
I still think there needs to be a disclaimer somewhere like "the following is prototype footage" or something though.

It's the actual game we have, so the gameplay footage at least doesn't need a disclaimer. We might need to put one in for pre-rendered footage (like all of Tritium's awesome stuff), but I presume that'd generally be fairly obvious.

Scottnov wrote:
Also, I had a side thought, instead of "Will you thrive?" being displayed during the middle, perhaps just before the planet scene plays it can say something like "Every species as a whole tries endlessly to survive. Adapting, hunting, feeding, reproducing...", wait a few seconds, then display "But the most important question is...", wait a bit longer this time, "Will you thrive?". I just thought this sounded more "Oh man. This game will be amazing when it get's going".

Eh, I don't know - I think "Will you thrive?" on its own does the job pretty well. Maybe if the first part is shortened to feel less unwieldy it'd work. Something like, "Every species tries to adapt, hunt and reproduce...some will succeed, others will fail...will you thrive?" Even that seems a little too drawn out.

Lepticidio wrote:
Great work! I really like the text snippets and the music, although I wouldn't put the two thrive "intros" one right next to the other ( the dna cutscene and the planet one") Overall there are three logo cutscenes, so I would quit one.

To be honest I just added the third one so the music would match up better. I'm slightly musically biased like that. Is there any other similar (non-logo featuring) footage we could use?
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 4:20 pm

QA time!
Download version the second 'rc2' version and test it out!
https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive/releases/tag/v0.2.4rc2

All of the issues that we're previously put forward have been addressed, except for a few opinion-based things.

Last edited by crovea on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 6:01 pm

crovea wrote:
QA time!

https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive/releases/tag/v0.2.4

All of the issues that we're previously put forward have been addressed, except for a few opinion-based things.
Awesome!
I have some questions:
1: What, exactly, was changed?
2: Is this another pre-release or the full release?
3: So, what's next on the list of things to do? I assume the next thing would be adding in more actual gameplay features, yeah?

Oliveriver wrote:

Eh, I don't know - I think "Will you thrive?" on its own does the job pretty well. Maybe if the first part is shortened to feel less unwieldy it'd work. Something like, "Every species tries to adapt, hunt and reproduce...some will succeed, others will fail...will you thrive?" Even that seems a little too drawn out.
Whatever you think looks best, I suppose. Also, as I side note I really liked the version of the "Thrive Speech" you proposed here.

Last edited by Scottnov on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 6:03 pm

Scottnov wrote:
crovea wrote:
QA time!

https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive/releases/tag/v0.2.4

Awesome! So, what exactly was changed?

There are these yellow compounds now apparently.
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 6:20 pm

> What, exactly, was changed?  

Mainly just fixes and new models. We fixed 4 crashes I think

>  Is this another pre-release or the full release?

Pre-release atm, if we don't get any significant negative feedback it will become the release.

> So, what's next on the list of things to do? I assume the next thing would be adding in more actual gameplay features, yeah?

I had some optimisations and other stuff in mind. Moopli's population dynamics are very close to completion. Some new membrane code is being prototyped I think. We can add gameplay features/content as requested.
You can see a list of the 0.2.4 issues here, which are most of them: https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive/issues?q=milestone%3A%22Release+0.2.4%22+is%3Aclosed The ones newer than 8 days are the ones since last prerelease.

> There are these yellow compounds now apparently.

That is ammonia! There are also new models for reproductase and amino acids, but you rarely see them.
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 7:49 pm

crovea wrote:

> There are these yellow compounds now apparently.

That is ammonia! There are also new models for reproductase and amino acids, but you rarely see them.

I downloaded the game and ammonia is still the rainbow-ringed green hexagon...
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:01 pm

you downloaded the old one -- we forgot to remove the download for that. Get the windows rc2 one.
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 9:02 pm

You were right moopli. There is still some work making it work with a 1920 x 1080 resolution...
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Loony Toony wrote:
You were right moopli. There is still some work making it work with a 1920 x 1080 resolution...

should be able to choose you resolution in the ogre start screen. scroll down.

Last edited by untrustedlife on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 9:36 pm

untrustedlife wrote:
Loony Toony wrote:

should be bale to choose you resolution in the ogre start screen. scroll down.
"bale"?...
Nevermind, I did change the resolution to 1920 x 1080, my comment was about things fitting correctly once it's on that resolution. I know it's certainly not an important and pressing issue, but I might wait until that's fixed to make a 0.2.4 video.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Could you show us a screenshot of your problem?
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Sorry about that typo Loony, I was on my kindle and autocorrect on the kindle is a bit weird.
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:56 pm

moopli wrote:
Could you show us a screenshot of your problem?
Sadly it appears not. Whenever I try to take a screenshot and then paste it anywhere it just comes up with all black.
I will attempt to describe it I guess. On the main GUI in the cell stage it is mostly fine - the compounds list is a bit off screen (needs to be raised a bit) and the top left part where it says "Default" (I'm guessing that's a naming bar or similar), the word is cut off on both sides. The Help menu is where it really sucks. The words are centered in the blue shape, but they are spread out past the shape's bounds and some are cut off on the top and bottom. I will try to get some picture up later.
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 7:33 am

I'm not sure you need to provide screenshots in this case, but for future reference until we get screenshot functionality in, you can either run the game without fullscreen and print screen will work fine or for fullscreen you can try and find a "free" version of fraps, which will be able to take screenshots and capture video.
Back to top Go down
Madero
Newcomer
Madero

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 8:49 am

The new version seems to not work correctly for me. First time I clicked the "Start-Thrive" file, a sort of Ogre-console-launcher opened and I selected a bunch of random things since I wasn't understanding anything (one selection was something with "OpenGL", and i selected "Copy" in the bottom area). Accepted and the game launched, sound seems to work but I couldn't click any buttons of the main menu and the texture of the buttons was glitched/bugged. I had tried several times restarting the game but the Ogre console don't seems to open anymore and the game still is bugged, and when i try to close it it crashes.
Back to top Go down
https://soundcloud.com/m4d3r0
Kirillian

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 9:03 am

Hello guys, someone on Youtube told me to post it there.(since it doesn't really have to be it's own thread)

I do understand how hard you are working right now, but i think that you guys should switch the engine.

Unreal Engine 4, will work out. Why?

Well, let's all be a little bit honest here, even if Ogre3D is open sourced graphical engine, it's pretty outdated by today's marks.

So, Why UE4?
Its fully open source engine, so you can always just recompile it for your own wishes, add your own stuff since It's written on C++, it has easy import system, click and drag, and a big community. You can also "play" the game without leaving the editor, for a quick preview.
It has a big terrain editor, random generation is possible if you will do some coding, day night cycle is a posibility too. (See examples on youtube)

Optimization of the engine: Is okay. You can always change settings for your own wish in the editor too.

However, it's main problem is Blender support, sometimes it won't export the stuff correctly with Blender, however online tutorials fix that.

I'll tell you more, there is also a simplified version of coding, called blueprints, simple Click and connect things to each other, and it works out. I already used that, even though I am just a 3D modellist, and i was able to understood how it was working.

Epic's UE4 channel also have a lot of great tutorials that might help you out. if you will decide to do a switch, thanks for your time.

I also understand that you might not consider that as a great thing, because i know that some developers code their own engine, and wouldn't want to port it to something else, but just take a look at it at the free time, its really powerful, and as i said, can be recompiled for your own wishes.

Thanks again. Hope to hear more news about Thrive soon.
Back to top Go down
Fangchamp
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:51 am

Will there be some 'dark' ways to play the game like race enslavement,dystopias,something like a gothic culture etc.
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 am

@ Fangchamp
Yes, there will almost definitely be enslavement and dystopias.

@ Kirillian
I can't answer you I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Kirillian wrote:
Hello guys, someone on Youtube told me to post it there.(since it doesn't really have to be it's own thread)

I do understand how hard you are working right now, but i think that you guys should switch the engine.

Unreal Engine 4, will work out. Why?

Well, let's all be a little bit honest here, even if Ogre3D is open sourced graphical engine, it's pretty outdated by today's marks.

So, Why UE4?
Its fully open source engine, so you can always just recompile it for your own wishes, add your own stuff since It's written on C++, it has easy import system, click and drag, and a big community. You can also "play" the game without leaving the editor, for a quick preview.
It has a big terrain editor, random generation is possible if you will do some coding, day night cycle is a posibility too. (See examples on youtube)

Optimization of the engine: Is okay. You can always change settings for your own wish in the editor too.

However, it's main problem is Blender support, sometimes it won't export the stuff correctly with Blender, however online tutorials fix that.

I'll tell you more, there is also a simplified version of coding, called blueprints, simple Click and connect things to each other, and it works out. I already used that, even though I am just a 3D modellist, and i was able to understood how it was working.

Epic's UE4 channel also have a lot of great tutorials that might help you out. if you will decide to do a switch, thanks for your time.

I also understand that you might not consider that as a great thing, because i know that some developers code their own engine, and wouldn't want to port it to something else, but just take a look at it at the free time, its really powerful, and as i said, can be recompiled for your own wishes.

Thanks again. Hope to hear more news about Thrive soon.
(I'm on my kindle, so I may be a bit terse.

Why do you think ogre is outdated?

www.ogre3d.org
Back to top Go down
ElementalRed
Newcomer
ElementalRed

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 1:56 pm

All right, I downloaded 0.2.4 and heres are the things I noted:

-Sometimes, when I exit the Microbe Editor, the music stops playing.
-I was swimming around when all of a sudden the game froze for a couple of seconds and when it unfrozed, all the compounds nearby released a crapload of their stuff. The game continued to work normally then a few seconds later it frozed again, then my microbe released a clone.

Now to the suggestions: I think the compound tab takes too much space. Maybe you could make it smaller? And is it normal that the cursor is so small?
Also, will there be an upgrade system for future releases?
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Kirillian wrote:
Switch to UE4

Simple, really -- Ogre3D gives us a lot of control over the graphics pipeline, with direct OpenGL access. We need that to be able to write custom compositors and fragment shaders, and I don't think UE4 would give us that. And Ogre seems to handle massive numbers of instances much better than UE4, which is also very important. UE4 provides more framework for game-data and game-state stuff, sure, seeing as it's a game engine, but here again, we need a lot of flexibility, enough that bashing UE4 into the shape we want could easily be more effort than it's worth. UE4 provides out-of-the-box integrated sound, physics, graphics, etc, sure, but we've already got all the integration work done already -- any new library we incorporate will likely be for a specialized purpose (noise-generation, for example), and thus can simply interface with Lua, so we can avoid a lot of nasty API-bashing. The Unreal Editor is essentially useless to us, seeing as the bulk of our work is in procedural content generation, meaning we'd be writing C++ whether using UE4 or not. Okay, it would help with adding polish to lots of other features -- GUI would be one example, if not for the fact that we've just introduced a polished UI, and we now have methods of working with CEGUI to make it look how we like.

Funnily enough, some reasons other people usually have against UE4 are non-issues to us: 5% of 0 means we pay out nothing (though there's still the access fee for the source), and we care little about blender modelling conversion issues, seeing as we're working so much on procedurally generating and morphing meshes ourselves anyway.

From the experiences of other people who've gone from Ogre3D to UE4, it looks like we would need to rewrite nearly everything. Yeahhh, uh. No.

@ElementalRed: The behaviour after freezing is easy to explain -- the game keeps queueing up updates for processing, and then when it unfreezes, it handles all the queued updates so no update is left behind (it's a bit more complicated than that, but this is essentially what it does). Your computer is freezing up likely due to being under too much load. I don't think we've made any settings to reduce load yet, but you could at least try editing ogre.cfg to drop your resolution. The compounds tab contains a placeholder compound list, and we plan on adding a lot more info in a future release, but it would likely have been a good idea to make the tab smaller until then, yeah. The cursor size is a mystery, really -- from everything we've looked at, it should be bigger, but isn't. By upgrade system do you mean an updater for the game itself? Or do you mean some game mechanic for upgrading the microbe?

Last edited by moopli on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Response to ElementalRed)
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 3:22 pm

moopli wrote:
Kirillian wrote:
Switch to UE4

Simple, really -- Ogre3D gives us a lot of control over the graphics pipeline, with direct OpenGL access. We need that to be able to write custom compositors and fragment shaders, and I don't think UE4 would give us that. And Ogre seems to handle massive numbers of instances much better than UE4, which is also very important. UE4 provides more framework for game-data and game-state stuff, sure, seeing as it's a game engine, but here again, we need a lot of flexibility, enough that bashing UE4 into the shape we want could easily be more effort than it's worth. UE4 provides out-of-the-box integrated sound, physics, graphics, etc, sure, but we've already got all the integration work done already -- any new library we incorporate will likely be for a specialized purpose (noise-generation, for example), and thus can simply interface with Lua, so we can avoid a lot of nasty API-bashing. The Unreal Editor is essentially useless to us, seeing as the bulk of our work is in procedural content generation, meaning we'd be writing C++ whether using UE4 or not. Okay, it would help with adding polish to lots of other features -- GUI would be one example, if not for the fact that we've just introduced a polished UI, and we now have methods of working with CEGUI to make it look how we like.

Funnily enough, some reasons other people usually have against UE4 are non-issues to us: 5% of 0 means we pay out nothing (though there's still the access fee for the source), and we care little about blender modelling conversion issues, seeing as we're working so much on procedurally generating and morphing meshes ourselves anyway.

From the experiences of other people who've gone from Ogre3D to UE4, it looks like we would need to rewrite nearly everything. Yeahhh, uh. No.

@ElementalRed: The behaviour after freezing is easy to explain -- the game keeps queueing up updates for processing, and then when it unfreezes, it handles all the queued updates so no update is left behind (it's a bit more complicated than that, but this is essentially what it does). Your computer is freezing up likely due to being under too much load. I don't think we've made any settings to reduce load yet, but you could at least try editing ogre.cfg to drop your resolution. The compounds tab contains a placeholder compound list, and we plan on adding a lot more info in a future release, but it would likely have been a good idea to make the tab smaller until then, yeah. The cursor size is a mystery, really -- from everything we've looked at, it should be bigger, but isn't. By upgrade system do you mean an updater for the game itself? Or do you mean some game mechanic for upgrading the microbe?

I presume ElementalRed means the microbe upgrade system. where we can upgrade our cells organelles, (its in the gdd), right now however we do have the microbe editor and as far as I know, its still planned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 22 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next