Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+64
moopli
ElementalRed
untrustedlife
Fangchamp
Kirillian
tjwhale
Patrick Rajesh
NickTheNick
MirrorMonkey2
Oliveriver
Lepticidio
MitochondriaBox
StealthStyle L
Zymoox
AwesomeSiebren
crovea
Psych0Ch3f
spacetime_dinosaur
RyuNeko932000
Daniferrito
Earthium Prime
HariboTer
Loony Toony
The Creator
K2017
Namor-Yrotciv
0eragonbioly0
Tidus Klein
anna0cat
Captain Mcderp
Atrox
PTFace
T0N12
Madero
DeanDactyl
Noltras
Tré Wisemen
ethroptur
Alexthe666
sporewow
giffman8
TheRabiesGuineaPig
ccarriel
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Tarpy
SawerGreem
Seregon
jman12351
Notsae66
Tritium
Scottnov
Inca
PropTheRedstoner
Marija Milosevic
amymist
Alex J G
dinoman9877
Armok: God of Blood
Pantheon_Gamer
tjblazer85
Diamond Pixel
Immortal_Dragon
darwin.the.gamer
Jupiter34
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Loony Toony
Newcomer

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 4:58 pm

crovea wrote:
I'm not sure you need to provide screenshots in this case, but for future reference until we get screenshot functionality in, you can either run the game without fullscreen and print screen will work fine or for fullscreen you can try and find a "free" version of fraps, which will be able to take screenshots and capture video.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Thrive10
I got three screenshots. It's really just some text problems. Also, the main GUI when in fullscreen mode (I took pictures out of it) puts the Compounds section a bit lower so that it looked like ATP was going off the screen a bit.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 5:18 pm

How come I have such a small area to see my environment? I'm aware I can zoom out, but I don't think the gui should be so squished together like this? Is there a way to fix this?

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Fhdh10
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Atrox wrote:
How come I have such a small area to see my environment? I'm aware I can zoom out, but I don't think the gui should be so squished together like this? Is there a way to fix this?
You probably chose a smaller resolution when you first set up the game. I chose 1920 x 1080.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Loony Toony wrote:
Atrox wrote:
You probably chose a smaller resolution when you first set up the game. I chose 1920 x 1080.

I wasn't allowed to choose a resolution?
Back to top Go down
Kirillian

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 6:13 pm

moopli wrote:
Kirillian wrote:
Switch to UE4

Simple, really -- Ogre3D gives us a lot of control over the graphics pipeline, with direct OpenGL access. We need that to be able to write custom compositors and fragment shaders, and I don't think UE4 would give us that. And Ogre seems to handle massive numbers of instances much better than UE4, which is also very important. UE4 provides more framework for game-data and game-state stuff, sure, seeing as it's a game engine, but here again, we need a lot of flexibility, enough that bashing UE4 into the shape we want could easily be more effort than it's worth. UE4 provides out-of-the-box integrated sound, physics, graphics, etc, sure, but we've already got all the integration work done already -- any new library we incorporate will likely be for a specialized purpose (noise-generation, for example), and thus can simply interface with Lua, so we can avoid a lot of nasty API-bashing. The Unreal Editor is essentially useless to us, seeing as the bulk of our work is in procedural content generation, meaning we'd be writing C++ whether using UE4 or not. Okay, it would help with adding polish to lots of other features -- GUI would be one example, if not for the fact that we've just introduced a polished UI, and we now have methods of working with CEGUI to make it look how we like.

Funnily enough, some reasons other people usually have against UE4 are non-issues to us: 5% of 0 means we pay out nothing (though there's still the access fee for the source), and we care little about blender modelling conversion issues, seeing as we're working so much on procedurally generating and morphing meshes ourselves anyway.

From the experiences of other people who've gone from Ogre3D to UE4, it looks like we would need to rewrite nearly everything. Yeahhh, uh. No.
Understood, thanks for answer.
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Atrox wrote:
Loony Toony wrote:
Atrox wrote:

I wasn't allowed to choose a resolution?
Delete all the game files, reinstall them, and when you try to open the game and the Ogre thing comes up, select the Ogre system from the arrow menu first, and when all the other text comes up underneath it scroll down to resolution, click on it, and then use the drop down arrow below all the text to select your favorite resolution. Sorry if this is unclear :-/
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 7:48 pm

[quote="Loony Toony"][quote="Atrox"]
Loony Toony wrote:
Atrox wrote:
No I understand that, I've tried that multiple times, it's just the drop down arrow for the resolution doesn't drop down.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 1:00 am

Kirillian wrote:
Understood, thanks for answer.

Thanks for the question! I don't think we'd ever actually considered it as an option (of course, there was no open-source UE4 access back then), so you made me think carefully.

@Atrox: Go into ogre.cfg to tweak it yourself, it seems like the config window is a bit terrible. We could roll our own dialog window to set configs, I guess.

@Loony Toony: You don't have to delete everything, just delete ogre.cfg to get the config window back. Or, just edit the values there directly.
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 am

Crovea mentioned before that gameplay mechanics would be added on request, and while I don't necessarily like this idea very much and think it would be better to have a plan, I've got requests. Obviously some of these things are planned, but this is just my 2 cents:

Major:
-More organelles along with some sort of new method of unlock besides "collect more things I guess", like an organelle tree.
-Creation of cells definitely needs work. Even if they don't have good graphics at the time, make the creation of cells not entirely organelles.
-Membrane hex added. It's essentially a space in which you can put organelles.
-Organelles usually occupy multiple membrane hexes, so you need to expand your membrane to make room for new organelles occasionally.
-Maybe some basic microbial events could take place to add to excitement.
-Of course, the compound producers need to be replaced with clouds.

Minor:
-A working options menu should be in place for changing things like resolution.
-On startup, the Thrive intro should play, but if possible, make the last frame stay on screen for longer, and then make it fade out slower.
-The music on the title screen should start up slower.
-More ways to kill microbes besides toxins.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 4:33 am

In response to your concerns, don't worry, we are operating by what we've laid out in the GDD  (we're definintely not just twidling our thumbs waiting for ideas here), crovea was simply stating that the programmers are open to requests for gameplay features as well. 

Organelles won't unlock in a tree fashion, implying that some will lead to others. Rather, they will all begin unlocked, and the ones that don't begin unlocked can be acquired/unlocked from ingesting bacteria in your environment. 

Cytoplasm as its own hex will definitely be added, but scripted events for the Microbe Stage is a big no no (or any stage for that matter).

Most of the rest of what you said we are already aware of, have planned, and will add in the future.
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 5:21 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Cytoplasm as its own hex will definitely be added, but scripted events for the Microbe Stage is a big no no (or any stage for that matter).

I think by "events" Scottnov meant some kind of natural event that can effect the microbes, that happens randomly. For example, the opening of a volcanic vent releasing more compounds.
Back to top Go down
ElementalRed
Newcomer
ElementalRed

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 1:30 pm

I presume ElementalRed means the microbe upgrade system. where we can upgrade our cells organelles, (its in the gdd), right now however we do have the microbe editor and as far as I know, its still planned.[/quote]

No no no, I meant for the game itself.
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 3:39 pm

StealthStyle L wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:

I think by "events" Scottnov meant some kind of natural event that can effect the microbes, that happens randomly. For example, the opening of a volcanic vent releasing more compounds.
Yep, this is correct.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 5:54 pm

On this scale natural events won't be noticeable. Plus, temperatures, light levels, flow rates, and compound concentrations will already be fluctuating a lot anyways. Natural events will become prominent following the transition to 3D.
Back to top Go down
ElementalRed
Newcomer
ElementalRed

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Is it normal that most of the microbes (except the predatory ones) are going in a straight line?
Back to top Go down
TurtleDuDe48

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 7:22 pm

I was just wondering will there be things like parasites? like they could be beneficial or they could be bad so you have to adapt living with the parasite? just a lil question i wanna ask even though i dont know if this has been discussed if it has well that was the worst timing i have every had well i just wanted to say that not anything like fire breathing or aquatic civilizations just parasites which from my sight are scientific and so on so forth i hope it wont be such a big deal -turtle lol
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 7:23 pm

TurtleDuDe48 wrote:
I was just wondering will there be things like parasites? like they could be beneficial or they could be  bad so you have to adapt living with the parasite? just a lil question i wanna ask even though i dont know if this has been discussed if it has well that was the worst timing i have every had well i just wanted to say that not anything like fire breathing or aquatic civilizations just parasites which from my sight are scientific and so on so forth i hope it wont be such a big deal -turtle lol
Probably. You could probably be a parasite if you wanted to, even.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 10:33 pm

ElementalRed wrote:
Is it normal that most of the microbes (except the predatory ones) are going in a straight line?

Errm, I reckon that it's normal at the moment; they're planning on implementing microbe AI so they approach good stuff and swim away from bad stuff; if the AI were at that point, they'd be swimming toward the compounds they need, and trying to get away from cells with toxin vacuoles, with the ones WITH them also going after non-toxic cells. Right now, however, it's probably normal. I've seen them do that, too, especially the Nopers (those really fast ones with like 5 flagella).
Back to top Go down
Fangchamp
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 11:15 am

Never had the time to play the prototype,but will the background change as you evolve and become bigger like in spore or will it take a different course?
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Fangchamp wrote:
Never had the time to play the prototype,but will the background change as you evolve and become bigger like in spore or will it take a different course?

From what I know, getting bigger won't be as dramatic as in Spore; it'll be limited to additional membrane hexes, not "levels." Thus, there won't be massive size jumps, and thus no "levels" in the Microbe Stage for different backgrounds to emerge as needed.

I did have an idea of having a background change in the 2D segment of the Multicellular Stage in the form of the background fading away more and more as more cells are added to the colony, giving way to the 3D segment's ground texture, although I'm not sure if that'd work very well.
Back to top Go down
tjwhale
Theorist
tjwhale

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Something else I want to point out is that this game we are making has nothing to do with Spore.

It may have been partly inspired by Spore but only as much as it will be inspired by Rome total war, Civilisation and SimAnt later on (love SimAnt).

So basically the answer to all questions of the form "will this feature be like in Spore" is no.
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 5:36 pm

I have a 0.2.4 video done (it's another tutorial, which may or may not be needed since this was a graphical update mostly :-/ ), anyone want to translate it? I already have Zymoox as the probably Spanish translator, anyone have any other languages to translate to?
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 11:01 pm

My video is now posted and since I can't link anything just search for Thrive 0.2.4 tutorial on YouTube (it's around 7 minutes).
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 11:34 pm

Loony Toony wrote:
My video is now posted and since I can't link anything just search for Thrive 0.2.4 tutorial on YouTube (it's around 7 minutes).

I just checked it out!

Awesome Job. Very well explained, and I love the slowmo cell splitting bit. For anyone else who is interested.
I went ahead and linked it.
I also subbed.

Back to top Go down
Olaf
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Can someone direct me to somewhere I can find which symbols are what agents in the prototype? I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark and can't find agent stores isolated enough to just use the process of elimination? If someone could, that would be very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 23 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next