Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

NPC Auto-Evo Thread

Go down 
+20
NickTheNick
Zetal
GamerXA
tklarenb
Dr_Chillgood
GhengopelALPHA
Redstar
guitar999111
Seregon
Tenebrarum
Commander Keen
ADMIN
GalvinNerth
US_of_Alaska
roadkillguy
Mysterious_Calligrapher
AIs-null
The Uteen
Pezzalis
~sciocont
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 9:42 pm

GamerXA wrote:
Migration to another biome should occur on it's own if the species can survive in an adjacent biome to it's current habitat. And also if it is connected directly; or separated by another, small enough, biome (i.e. a few of a species crossing a small desert).
Migration can happen either when a population is too big to fit inside the biome (it has reached carrying capacity) or when their biome has become more difficult to live in than usual (it is pushed out because of lack of resources due to interspecial competition or simple bad luck).
We should establish a maximum biome separation for migration (in terrain tiles) once we have a game to work with.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Okay, so I just read through the rest of the pages of this topic, but I have a splitting headache and I woke up way earlier than I intended to... so correct me if I'm wrong here. Are we using a system of Lamarckian Genetics for the purposes of coding simplicity, then? I saw some talk of random mutations leading to evolution(which would suggest Darwinian), but it's been mixed in with replies by other people that more lean towards the "Oh, it needs this so it will evolve" line of though. To be honest, the end result usually winds up the same, although not with the methods I would prefer. I recall seeing something about a creature that swims getting better at swimming, and other such. So, before I continue this silly rant of mine, I'll wait on some clarification.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 7:35 pm

Zetal wrote:
Okay, so I just read through the rest of the pages of this topic, but I have a splitting headache and I woke up way earlier than I intended to... so correct me if I'm wrong here. Are we using a system of Lamarckian Genetics for the purposes of coding simplicity, then? I saw some talk of random mutations leading to evolution(which would suggest Darwinian), but it's been mixed in with replies by other people that more lean towards the "Oh, it needs this so it will evolve" line of though. To be honest, the end result usually winds up the same, although not with the methods I would prefer. I recall seeing something about a creature that swims getting better at swimming, and other such. So, before I continue this silly rant of mine, I'll wait on some clarification.
Mutations can happen as either a random mutation or a directed mutation. You see, by choosing a mutation that we know would be helpful, we simulate the actual natural selection of useful genes without actually naturally selecting it.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 7:41 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Zetal wrote:
Mutations can happen as either a random mutation or a directed mutation. You see, by choosing a mutation that we know would be helpful, we simulate the actual natural selection of useful genes without actually naturally selecting it.
I vaguely recall seeing something along the lines of what I'm about to say, but... isn't that a bit idealistic to assume that there will always be a beneficial mutation available to the creature? Mutations are, after all, completely random in real life. I understand simulating it using Lamarckian genetics just for the purposes of simplicity, but if that's to be done, then I think it should be to generate random mutations, and then perform a check to see if any of them are useful. If not, the creature would either need to withstand another 'threatened' generation and hope for the best next time, or become extinct. Tis the way of things, no?

The problem is finding the perfect percentages, obviously....but on Earth, 99% of species that have ever existed are extinct. Doesn't that speak volumes? =)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 8:14 pm

It's not going to be difficult for a species to go extinct, There won't always be a beneficial muation, and even when there is one, the odds of them getting that mutation are about 50/50, and that's only if they are chosen to mutate, which in a diverse biome, is unlikely in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 pm

~sciocont wrote:
You see, by choosing a mutation that we know would be helpful, we simulate the actual natural selection of useful genes without actually naturally selecting it.

Oh. Alright, that sounds excellent then. =) I was just confused by the above quote, I guess.
Back to top Go down
GhengopelALPHA
Newcomer
GhengopelALPHA

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 1:40 am

Hey everyone, just saw this youtube vid. The concept is cool, but it probably can't be implemented in any way (that I can think of anyway)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld-db5njUJY&feature=topics
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 11:36 am

Quite interesting.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 1:19 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Quite interesting.

Wasn't that what we're replicating with this system, or am I very very confused?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Zetal wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Quite interesting.

Wasn't that what we're replicating with this system, or am I very very confused?
That was just a demonstration of mutation.
Back to top Go down
GhengopelALPHA
Newcomer
GhengopelALPHA

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Yes it's just a demonstration of mutation, but what caught my attention was the use of multiple people to make the mutations happen. Possible player-to-player interaction game mechanic? That's what I don't know about.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 4:26 pm

GhengopelALPHA wrote:
Yes it's just a demonstration of mutation, but what caught my attention was the use of multiple people to make the mutations happen. Possible player-to-player interaction game mechanic? That's what I don't know about.
Ee will allow players to DL other players' species and techs, etc, but a player-to-player evolution chain is something we can't do because it would require us to get a lot of server space, which we can't do.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 5:01 pm

~sciocont wrote:
GhengopelALPHA wrote:
Ee will allow players to DL other players' species and techs, etc, but a player-to-player evolution chain is something we can't do because it would require us to get a lot of server space, which we can't do.

What about the possibility of multiplayer through playerhosted servers? Ie- Thrive Team spends no money, but the code is there for enterprising players.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Zetal wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
GhengopelALPHA wrote:

What about the possibility of multiplayer through playerhosted servers? Ie- Thrive Team spends no money, but the code is there for enterprising players.
It's possible, yes, but we can't do anything about it.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 5:47 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Zetal wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
GhengopelALPHA wrote:

It's possible, yes, but we can't do anything about it.

How do you figure? Network coding is difficulty, but it is a minor distraction to set up the structure of the code to be able to support that network coding as the program is made. I'm not a coder myself, but the game my friend and I are making has rubbed off on me. Network code would have to be included in order for player servers to be implemented... right?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 8:28 pm

we just have better things to do than set up networking ability just in case someone has a server for online play. also, we would need to program what online play would be like, which would mean coming up with the concept for it, which we won't do because we have more important things to do.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:50 pm

~sciocont wrote:
we just have better things to do than set up networking ability just in case someone has a server for online play. also, we would need to program what online play would be like, which would mean coming up with the concept for it, which we won't do because we have more important things to do.

Okay- if you insist. I know that I for one would assuredly set up a server as soon as possible based out of my main computer. Still, if I'm allowed to make any insistence ( ) then I would make mine that we do at least discuss this at some point. It doesn't have to be now, or even soon, but eventually and in a timely manner so as to assure it's usefulness.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:25 pm

My vote: No online play.

If we're good, someone will mod it in for us.

Let's make it that good.

No, let's do better than that.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

Let's make it that good.

QFT. And we haven't the funds to get a server capable of all that to begin with (Unless I missed the memo and there's suddenly a herd of free servers capable of containing all this stuff that I don't know about,) so online play in this release is kind of a moot point.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

Let's make it that good.

QFT. And we haven't the funds to get a server capable of all that to begin with (Unless I missed the memo and there's suddenly a herd of free servers capable of containing all this stuff that I don't know about,) so online play in this release is kind of a moot point.

I'm a bit confused about why it seems so commonly assumed that the community itself would need some sort of core server. Including networking code in the game wouldn't necessitate the Thrive community to acquire any sort of public server- it's just opening the possibility for multiplayer to exist.
After some thought, however, I do agree that multiplayer should not be our focus... but I want to avoid a situation where modding multiplayer is difficult, if not impossible without rewriting the entirety of the engine. I don't know what the code looks like at this point, but constructing the game in a way that allows for the basic concept of multiplayer wouldn't require more time than is already being put in.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Zetal wrote:
Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

Let's make it that good.

I'm a bit confused about why it seems so commonly assumed that the community itself would need some sort of core server. Including networking code in the game wouldn't necessitate the Thrive community to acquire any sort of public server- it's just opening the possibility for multiplayer to exist.
After some thought, however, I do agree that multiplayer should not be our focus... but I want to avoid a situation where modding multiplayer is difficult, if not impossible without rewriting the entirety of the engine. I don't know what the code looks like at this point, but constructing the game in a way that allows for the basic concept of multiplayer wouldn't require more time than is already being put in.
QFT: No multiplayer so we can focus on more important stuff, but the capability for a modder to add it (and do the work of hosting a server) if they want. Sounds good.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Will auto-evo allow for adaptive radiation?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 9:43 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Will auto-evo allow for adaptive radiation?
Yes, since a split is a possible mutation and no two species will be able to occupy the same niche.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Ahh I see. So then its possible to, for example, encounter an in game parallel of the galapagos island finches?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 11:00 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Ahh I see. So then its possible to, for example, encounter an in game parallel of the galapagos island finches?
In theory, but since biomes will be a lot less complex, your chances of seeing many closely related species are low. One species would occupy most of the niches that the finches would fall into.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

NPC Auto-Evo Thread
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next