Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

NPC Auto-Evo Thread

Go down 
+20
NickTheNick
Zetal
GamerXA
tklarenb
Dr_Chillgood
GhengopelALPHA
Redstar
guitar999111
Seregon
Tenebrarum
Commander Keen
ADMIN
GalvinNerth
US_of_Alaska
roadkillguy
Mysterious_Calligrapher
AIs-null
The Uteen
Pezzalis
~sciocont
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
GalvinNerth

NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 11:43 am

So wait all this is for one thing in the game? Okay it is nice to plan all this but lets think about something else for just a second, is a computer this day and age going to handle a high process game such as this. I mean from what I'm hearing this is going to be a high quality graphic, complicated evolving game. Do you think that a computer can actually handle all the processes that could go on here? But any ways these are very nice Ideas.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Background maths are easier to run than you might think. If we were using any music or graphics for these, it would be a different story, but the plain old math file is pretty small and simple.
Compare the size of a 4 page word doc to a 1 minute video (with sound) and you'll see why no one else is worried.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 1:35 pm

..and thus a tiny fish evolves onto land simply because random deviations in its stomach evolved the ability to eat grass? It would need to have some ability to walk too.

I say each organism has a list of attributes. Each niche has a list of requirements. An organism fits more or less based on the attributes it has. Attributes could be weighted and could replace eachother too. I don't see the problem with this.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 12:54 pm

No, if the fish's stomach was able to digest grass, it would still be limited by it's fins and stuck in the water, as it couldn't travel there. Should it emerge on land, it would die, and either [extinction: tiny fish] or its comrades that live in the water would happily ignore their grass-eating ability for years to come. We did mobility limits a while back, it should hold.
Besides, there's no specific [accept: food type: grass]. It would be something much more general, which could cover multiple species of food. [accept: food type: general vegetation] or [accept: food type: woody stems] would be more like it. Just because a species can do something doesn't mean it has to.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 9:34 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
..and thus a tiny fish evolves onto land simply because random deviations in its stomach evolved the ability to eat grass? It would need to have some ability to walk too.

I say each organism has a list of attributes. Each niche has a list of requirements. An organism fits more or less based on the attributes it has. Attributes could be weighted and could replace eachother too. I don't see the problem with this.
Yeah. I agree that there has to be a set of rules. However, that's going about defining niches, not the evolution process.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Something in the game has to tell a fish it cant walk.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 9:53 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
That would be taken care of by animation procedurals. They wouldn't figure out a way for the fish to walk if it couldn't.
Back to top Go down
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Could someone please start collecting all these procedurals together so we don't have to keep flopping across the same ground without feet? I for one think that, with Auto-Evo in a concept, we should grab all the pertinent data to cross-check situations just like these, in case there's something that we haven't thought of yet.

Let's start with:
Everything concrete about the OE
Other stuff about pre-sentience, such as behaviors
Whatever else we have lurking about Org and early civ.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:43 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Could someone please start collecting all these procedurals together so we don't have to keep flopping across the same ground without feet? I for one think that, with Auto-Evo in a concept, we should grab all the pertinent data to cross-check situations just like these, in case there's something that we haven't thought of yet.

Let's start with:
Everything concrete about the OE
Other stuff about pre-sentience, such as behaviors
Whatever else we have lurking about Org and early civ.

Does this include the multicellular transition and template organism concepts?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:47 am

A good proc site: http://pcg.wikidot.com/
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 am

@ Pez: Sure, why not?
@ Keen: Over my head, but I'm sure someone else here will find it helpful.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:45 pm

ADMIN wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
That would be taken care of by animation procedurals. They wouldn't figure out a way for the fish to walk if it couldn't.

I would think animation procedurals would come after niche finalization in the code.

It could go like this:

Organism randomization
Organism analysis
Organism placement and population (Based on analysis)
Final organism animation (honestly I have no experience with this)

Also, AFAIK that link doesn't have any actual algorithms, only lists of games that use them...
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 am

Hm. Finally checked through the site, and even though there is a page called pcg algorithms, it seems to contain brief info on the term or just a wiki link. Next time I'll have be more careful when someone suggest me a link...
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Naah it's ok. I saw all the links and I honestly thought it would share how everything works.

Anyway, I think the problem is that NPC auto evo needs to know what will eventually happen in a given scenario. In other words, it needs to know all the possible evolutionary mismatches that would mean certain death to an species in the simulation, within a minute after it started. It should check for these after randomizing the creature.

Wrong atmosphere (Fish in air, monkey underwater)
Wrong food type (The animal evolves to eat something it cant digest)
Wrong transportation (Fins on land, legs in water)

I know there's more of these but I can't think of any more at the moment..

If a creature happened to evolve one of these randomly it would die in the simulation and become extinct unrealistically. (An animal would never evolve something that kills itself.) The game would then have to check for and fix them to 'simulate' evolution. This way, randomization wouldn't destroy the game.

My subconscious tells me that this isn't necessary, so feel free to fill me in if I'm missing something.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Mmm... excepting mutations which are one-offs which don't allow organs to properly funcion (and which aren't usually passed on because the creature dies off, or they're caused by errors when the DNA is replicated,) I can't think of much else.

Atmosphere/respiration actually isn't strictly tied to air vs. water in real life. Worms breathe through their skin, so some of them can breathe underwater too, and snails are pretty darn good at going from one to the other. Of course, some respiration types are limited by size. And of course, you could have gills and lungs.

.... why the animal would "evolve to eat something it can't digest" is honestly a mystery to me. Eating behavior is ruled by whatever the stomach type is in the OE. Niches for predators will be filled by pretators, niches for herbavores by herbavores. Omnivores are classified under predator (because of the consumer stage thing) but they have the ability to accept plants as food, and can be tagged to plants as a food resource.

I don't think the random "mutation per generation" would suddenly swap something so complex as the whole species' stomach chemistry. It would make legs longer, patterns more distinct, claws sharper, venom stronger - but not mess around with a whole organ system. Conservation of change.

Wrong transportation... valid. However, legged creatures often can and do swim, but they're not living in there... and some things can't swim at all. We'll have to figure out restrictions on that one.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:18 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Naah it's ok. I saw all the links and I honestly thought it would share how everything works.

Anyway, I think the problem is that NPC auto evo needs to know what will eventually happen in a given scenario. In other words, it needs to know all the possible evolutionary mismatches that would mean certain death to an species in the simulation, within a minute after it started. It should check for these after randomizing the creature.

If a creature happened to evolve one of these randomly it would die in the simulation and become extinct unrealistically. (An animal would never evolve something that kills itself.) The game would then have to check for and fix them to 'simulate' evolution. This way, randomization wouldn't destroy the game.

My subconscious tells me that this isn't necessary, so feel free to fill me in if I'm missing something.
Those would all be mutations that would make it jump into another niche/environment to compete.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:36 pm

~sciocont wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:

Those would all be mutations that would make it jump into another niche/environment to compete.

My subconscious always knows... but I never do.

Quote :
I don't think the random "mutation per generation" would suddenly swap something so complex as the whole species' stomach chemistry. It would make legs longer, patterns more distinct, claws sharper, venom stronger - but not mess around with a whole organ system. Conservation of change.

Random is random. It will do whatever it wants. That's why I proposed these restrictions in the first place. Somehow we need to predict what will happen.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 11:24 am

roadkillguy wrote:
Quote :

Random is random. It will do whatever it wants. That's why I proposed these restrictions in the first place. Somehow we need to predict what will happen.

My point being that we wouldn't necessarily program a change in the whole GI tract as only "one mutation" as it would be more like several - more than five, at least. After all, we wouldn't necessarily go from gills to lungs in one generation either, or suddenly jump from being a fish to having usable hind legs. We'd be a lungfish first, with strong back fins to scoot us through the mud, then have frog legs.

Random is random - but only to whatever variables we program to be equivalent to "one mutation." When it would take several mutations to achieve the affect IRL, we need to have steps between.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 5:07 pm

I see what you mean..

That means we need to have a tree of possible mutations for every part. We could then cascade the tree as necessary.

@scio
You propose that one species will be given the chance to evolve every generation no? What happens when a species' food source A. Becomes extinct or B. Becomes inedible? Is it given the chance to evolve?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:35 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
I see what you mean..

That means we need to have a tree of possible mutations for every part. We could then cascade the tree as necessary.

@scio
You propose that one species will be given the chance to evolve every generation no? What happens when a species' food source A. Becomes extinct or B. Becomes inedible? Is it given the chance to evolve?
Yes, that triggers a more likely "reaction mutation".
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 7:11 pm

So effectively it's chosen first? What about the rest?

This is what I'm understanding so far:

You're a little frog hopping through a swamp. You primarily rely on a strange grass at the bottom of the ocean. Then, after a few generations, your special kelp evolved some toxins to prevent you from eating it. You were chosen to evolve right after your kelp.

My question is now, what would auto-evo do? Will it correct the frogs species to keep it living or randomize it's abilities and hope for the best? Maybe it should randomize multiple times based on the population and find the best fit? In that case, what is the best fit? What if you were chosen to evolve before your kelp? Would you be able to react?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:03 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
So effectively it's chosen first? What about the rest?

This is what I'm understanding so far:

You're a little frog hopping through a swamp. You primarily rely on a strange grass at the bottom of the ocean. Then, after a few generations, your special kelp evolved some toxins to prevent you from eating it. You were chosen to evolve right after your kelp.

My question is now, what would auto-evo do? Will it correct the frogs species to keep it living or randomize it's abilities and hope for the best? Maybe it should randomize multiple times based on the population and find the best fit? In that case, what is the best fit? What if you were chosen to evolve before your kelp? Would you be able to react?

Auto evo, finding that
-Your species is dependent on seaweed species
-Seaweed species has evolved a toxin

Will
-Increase your chances of evolving
-increase your chance of becoming immune to that poison

Notice that the seaweed evolving does not force you to become immune, and it also does not force you to evolve at all. Your species could
-evolve resistance
-evolve a different adaptation to deal with this (can't think of any others for poison, but in other respects thee would be something to fit)
-find a different resource (may involve invading another niche)
-do nothing (may cause extinction)
-move to a different biome

All of these are chosen at random as possible reactions to the original seaweed mutation.

Now, you may say that this will cause lots of extinctions. It will. But the truth is, we need environments to change quickly so that the game is interesting and dynamic, and so that you constantly have the chance to evolve your species (which I still think should be done either through this NPC procedure or direct edits).
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 7:58 am

Finally I understand it well, thank you Scio!

I like this a lot, especially the bit with extinctions.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm

I see... What if the frog species was chosen to evolve before the seaweed? The frog is nearly guaranteed to be extinct due to the fact that the seaweed technically hasn't evolved toxins yet.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 5:06 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
I see... What if the frog species was chosen to evolve before the seaweed? The frog is nearly guaranteed to be extinct due to the fact that the seaweed technically hasn't evolved toxins yet.
No, the frog developing toxin resistance doesn't affect it unless there are said toxins in its environment. If the frog develops toxin resistance out of the blue, it wouldn't affect the environment at all unless something in the environment directly linked to it has that toxin.

However, if the frog develops its own toxin, then any creature directly above it in the food chain gets an increased chance of evolving next, and in that evolution, an increased chance of toxin resistance.

So say the frog becomes toxic. An eagle, a large lizard and a snake all rely on the frog as a food resource. This means that each of these animals gets a heightened chance of evolving, say 10x more likely.

The probability of any one species evolving is based solely on their population which is determined by their size. Smaller size generally means higher birthrate, so smaller animals are likely to have higher populations. Therefore a mouse has a higher chance of evolving monstrous fangs that an elephant does of evolving a lack of fear for mice.

Back to our eagle, snake and lizard.
The lizard population of the biome is- 56
snakes- 47
eagle- 33

total orgs in the biome- 2087

therefore normally, their chances of evolving are
lizard- 2.6%
snake- 2.2%
eagle- 1.5%

If nothing happens to their food sources, these animals have a low chance of evolving (they would be apex or near apex predators)
Now that the frog has evolved, their chances of evolving increase.

total orgs in the biome- 2087
minus original populations= 1951

Multiply each target population (the populations of the predators) by the constant of reaction (the factor by which their chances are increased- we'll use 10 for now)

lizard-560
snake-470
eagle-330

new population- 3311 orgs

new chances of evolving
lizard- 16.9%
snake- 14.1%
eagle- 9.9%

Therefore, their chances of evolving at all are increased dramatically. Now, their chances of evolving toxin resistance versus any thing else- probably about 50/50.

If you'll notice, even if all of their chances are added up, it's still more likely that something else will evolve. This is because the frog either
- was not very important in the food web
- developed a mutation that did not affect many other populations

In this case, we don't really know much about the frog, so it could have been both or just #2, since becoming toxic doesn't affect whatever it eats. However, lets say a different animal, a small predatory mammal, becomes faster. This affects both its predators and its prey. Therefore the chance of a reactionary evolution because of this is very high. This is due to
-larger number of species affected
-lower trophic levels (its prey) contain more organisms.

It follows that the eagle snake and lizard, all of which prey on this mammal, get heightened chances. In addition to them, there a few species of small reptiles and insects that this mammal feeds on that get a heightened chance at evolving.

Now, simply because of the trophic level of the mammal and its mutation, the chances of a reactionary evolution for this mutation is over 70%

Now, remember a few things:
-Any organism smaller than 8cm is ignored.
-The difference between trophic levels is made smaller than the usual 90% population difference.
-The populations aren't real. The computer won't actually place 2087 different orgs in front of you at once, their populations are determined by some randomness and their trophic levels.

tl;dr
It works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NPC Auto-Evo Thread   NPC Auto-Evo Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

NPC Auto-Evo Thread
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next