Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+93
JoseAAV
Disastericks
Secondkingstons
EnergyKnife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Jimexmore
Grimm Reaper
Atrox
Xazo-Tak
HariboTer
Naevius
jay sheddan
Im a Peanut
Tritium
Tarpy
Narnobie123
Gawbad
Nimbal
Thriving Cheese
WJacobC
FunnyGames
PerfectOrganismil
TheSmart_1
Dilophoraptor
untrustedlife
BioMike
energypro
RodGame
protoast
Cobalt58
jman12351
Sundu
ExtraSolar
Dumb_person69
spacetime_dinosaur
Oliveriver
Calfeggs
NikolaAnicic007
MitochondriaBox
Tré Wisemen
SmartGenius
ComradeDoc
THRIVE
thrivepedia
beachbum111111
WilliamstheJohn
ingaborgasaurus
Raptorstorm
alduin2013
decelis93
Noone
gvd72
Jopetsu
Daniferrito
M3rox
Rorsten594
roadkillguy
Silver Sterling
Carnifex
Seregon
PREDAL1ENWARRIOR
GamerXA
Brennus
nziswat
PHILmg
NickTheNick
wwewar
ethroptur
Orygandian2
penumbra espinosa
Pezzalis
zippybomb
jmc-24
Holomanga
MeowMan1
Kraeken
Crimsonspawn
Hegataro
Theusfilipe
PTFace
Doggit
Sgt. Lost Time
US_of_Alaska
Admiral Van Tromp
ido66667
D4RK_VOID
bill2505
Dr_Chillgood
Tenebrarum
Army-Lion
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
The Uteen
97 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Naevius
Newcomer

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptySun May 05, 2013 12:13 am

NickTheNick wrote:
You can also automate any part of your nation editor, such as the military panel, if you wish for your nation to conquer without your orders. However, if you wish to keep control over the military instead of letting an advisor automate it, you can create and give campaigns to your generals, a process involving setting waypoints and commands, giving them resources, and then they try to follow it through as best they can. Its like a more expanded version of telling units to attack-move to a target location on the map in RTS games.

EDIT: Amazing job Oliver! That playlist is a very handy compilation of all our videos so far.

That certainly sounds quite good! I just hope you illustrious gentlemen/ladies can program such a thing.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptySun May 05, 2013 1:59 am

The campaign creation, if that is the thing you are suggesting would be a challenge, is actually quite easy if you just break it into parts. You just submit a series of orders to your general, give them a resource cap they can use, and then an AI takes over based off of your rules. For example:

• Attack-Move to X Location
  • If take Location X, Attack-Move to Y Location
  • If take Location Y, hold Location
  • Z Supplies available
It still needs a lot of refining though.
Back to top Go down
Brennus
Newcomer
Brennus

PostSubject: Those RAR files   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptySun May 05, 2013 10:40 am

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the files being used for the prototypes. For some reason, I can't make use of them, as windows doesn't seem to know what program was used to make them. I have a feeling it would be hard for you guys to shift the file type you're using, so what program are you using for the RAR files?
Back to top Go down
FunnyGames
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptySun May 05, 2013 10:56 am

My prototypes are saved in ZIP format, so windows should open them, and for RAR files, I'm opening them with Linux, so I don't have problems with that either.

You can search google for any free RAR programs.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptySun May 05, 2013 11:06 am

If you mean this one (https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1069-thrive-releases#20973), those are not prototypes, are actual alpha releases. I will post newer releases as zip for native compatibility with windows.

To unzip any rar file, you should be able to use any program from this list that says it has rar compatibility.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 5:23 am

Suggestion for Doggit:

Make more editor themes. I would love that really, and would be useful beacuse of coming soon microbe stage.

Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 1:37 pm

WilliamstheJohn wrote:
Suggestion for Doggit:

Make more editor themes. I would love that really, and would be useful beacuse of coming soon microbe stage.

I am a bit 'busy with work, but I'll start working on a new song for the editor for cells.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:32 pm

I have to ask you all:
What control will be for zoom in/out? I suggest scroll.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Yes. I think this is pretty self-evident and does not need to be discussed.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm

I also want to ask what is with censor. Will there be censor for anything explicit?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Previous discusions on that were separated into two groups. Some wanted some explicit to be added, some other didnt even want to put them in the game. However, everyone agreed that IF we put some delicate things in the game, there should be an option to hide them or turn them off.

On the topic of coitus, none of the people actually capable of programing procedurally generated animations was willing to do them. It was a while ago, so things might have changed.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 2:18 pm

It might actually be kind of funny and save some animation work at the same time if, during... ahem.. "reproductive actions", the view on the creatures will be heavily pixellated, like the Sims game does it.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 2:29 pm

Or we could jut fade to black and forget about animating anything at all.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
Or we could jut fade to black and forget about animating anything at all.

"These humans are illogically preoccupied with the subject of procreation."

Yeah, guys... nobody wants to watch your space monkeys' intimate moments. Nobody wants to model or animate it. We actually did this discussion twice already.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Honestly, spore had these and then got rid of it, then they made it into a children's game, we can't allow that to happen to thrive. I vote, show it a little.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 8:22 am

Actually, Spore had the cutesy dancing in hearts animation.

(Additionally, it was a children's game because it was essentially a glorified electronic alien-themed potato head doll in the editors, never had any strategy complexity, and was animated like a pixar movie, but I digress.)

To me, this is one of the least important aspects of gameplay that we're currently discussing. Mature adults know that sex happens, and given that we'd have potentially millions of organism models, animating it seems like a rather large waste of time.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 8:53 am

I agree, i don't see how sex would make the game richer. BTW i want to ask what is going on with the development of the microbe stage as i can't find any recent info about it? Are the prototypes useful do they really help with the game engine?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:55 am

I don't speak programmer, so I dunno all the answers, but I can find you the thread where they discuss the latest stuff. They're running the maths and adding to it bit by bit, it seems. As for information, they just let something out last week: I recommend having a poke at it.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Calli you are in fact wrong, spore originally had procedurally generated sex.
As well as procedurally generated animations in general (which it still has), (which we will have to do anyway because everthing will evolve), so procedurally doing the sex will be easy once we have animations working.

(I am a programer)

-----------------------------------------------------------
Trillium:

The prototypes are actually doing very well, the goal is to implement as much as possible outside the engine in order to do it well with the engine.

My prototype for example is handling what we want the microbe stage environment (endocytosis and etc.) to feel and look like and to have the ability to switch cells at will (when you die), and to see what we can get with evolution.
Rodgame's one was inpelemnting the compound systom.
The microbe editor prototype is so we know how we will do it in engine.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Actually, cali, there has not been any discusion about programing there at all. The most important one we have been discussing on was this one.

Just to give a brief report, Nimbal is currently hard at work at revising the base engine, implementing multithreading, implementing lua scripts and cleaning up some of the other code.

The lastest problem was that there is a conflict between gcc 4.8 (the compiler) and luabind (the library to use c++ and lua in the same project), so the only option was to degrade to gcc 4.7. That means compiling ogre ourselves (the only precompiled releases are with gcc 4.8).

I hope you understood that, but i would understaund if you didnt. Basically, there is a problem and we (actually only Nimbal) are trying to solve it.

Once all of that is solved and finished, we can all get hard to work implementing all the features that have been discused, and geting visible work done out.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 1:39 pm

New theme for dystopian or oppressive societies in the civilisation stage:

On a related note, is there an official thread for posting themes which we should revive (the thread that is, not the themes)?
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Sounds amazing Oliveriver
Great atmosphere
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 7:36 pm

I stand corrected. The visible result was, however, the mating dance of cut-scene-ness.

Good job, Oliveriver!
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 1:55 am

Great job Oliver, will fit perfectly!
When is forum revamp officialy starting, first changes?
Back to top Go down
HariboTer
Developer
HariboTer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 6:07 am

Hi, I know that this question is a bit far off of the game's current status, but how are your thoughts about a multiplayer modus (that places players near enough to each other, otherwise there would be a lack of sense in an incredibly vast galaxy^^)?

On another note, have you been thinking about a donation opportunity once all stages are implemented? I guess I would run into problems with my conciousness to take the decade's most imba-ly good creative game for free.

Btw, how much use could you take out of an intermediate Java programmer? (Intermediate because I know my language stuff, but have very little experience in complex algorithms.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 31 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 31 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next