Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Global Warming and Environmental Disasters

Go down 
+7
Noitulove
Poisson
Invader
koiboi59
~sciocont
US_of_Alaska
Waap
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Empty
PostSubject: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 am

It's happening now, so why can't it happen in-game? Discussion on how this could be implemented and if it should. I'd say more, but it's bedtime. o.0
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 7:02 am

Waap wrote:
It's happening now, so why can't it happen in-game? Discussion on how this could be implemented and if it should. I'd say more, but it's bedtime. o.0
-Waap.
Well as far as global warming goes, we just have to program in CO2's effects on the atmosphere, and physics should take care of the rest.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 am

Atmospheric gas levels can be easily coded. Disasters can happen pretty much randomly, but earthquakes are going to happen on the fault lines between plates and such. Earthquake by the sea riggers tsunami, etc.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 10:38 am

and when 2 plates colide magma gets pushed up the surface and cools, forming a volcano which in the future could eru- wait is waap talking about natural disasters or disasters caused by us (ie: that big oil spill that happened recently)?
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 5:58 pm

I beleive she is talking about natural disasters, which woukd really just be controlled by physics.

"Man"-made disasters will be a different matter entirely.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 6:10 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
I beleive she is talking about natural disasters, which woukd really just be controlled by physics.

"Man"-made disasters will be a different matter entirely.

well then why did she call it environmental disasters anyway?
well it doesn't matter, we got are general idea.
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:11 am

I was thinking about environmental disasters with pollution and such. Natural disasters are also important for the game, but that's not the topic.
Would this sort of thing really be that easy to code(For a coder)? I'd never expect that, but hey, I couldn't get my head around the first two paragraphs of an introduction page of a coding manual. I was just like
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 am

Waap wrote:
I was thinking about environmental disasters with pollution and such. Natural disasters are also important for the game, but that's not the topic.
Would this sort of thing really be that easy to code(For a coder)? I'd never expect that, but hey, I couldn't get my head around the first two paragraphs of an introduction page of a coding manual. I was just like
-Waap.

i figured that was it. though i have no clue how it will be put in game since you don't see things make mistakes in games.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 2:19 pm

We could program a bit of chemistry into the game in the case of environmental disasters. Hey Bashi, how difficult would that be?
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:26 am

I think, global warming would basically be simulated by raising the water level at the same rate that ice formations 'shrink'. The area around the sun might gain a brighter, warmer (red) tint, even if the sky was a cool (blue, green, purple, etc.) color, giving off the appearance of a hotter atmosphere and the average tempurature would be recorded as higher, if your species has discovered thermometers which would require mercury.

Which reminds me, we're going to have to be able to simulate liquids accurately in fairly large portions (I.E. a small pond or bathtub) without dropping framerates by the dozen in order to do this and many other things in-game and, not being a programmer, I don't know how we can do that.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 3:33 am

Poisson wrote:
We could program a bit of chemistry into the game in the case of environmental disasters. Hey Bashi, how difficult would that be?

You need to be more specific.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Bashinerox wrote:
Poisson wrote:

How in difficult would it be to give different properties to different elements and compounds?
Example: Carbon dioxide
Greenhouse gas
Biproduct of respiration in O2 atmosphere
Not reactive
Density: (whatever the density is)
Etc.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Poisson wrote:
Bashinerox wrote:
Poisson wrote:

How in difficult would it be to give different properties to different elements and compounds?
Example: Carbon dioxide
Greenhouse gas
Biproduct of respiration in O2 atmosphere
Not reactive
Density: (whatever the density is)
Etc.

well thats the global warming. but how exactly do you program oil spills and other environmental disasters since that would have to be on accident. do things ever happen on accident in gameplay? i don't think its ever been done.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Accidents don't exist, remember that.
I think we should take a simpler approach to all of this and bypass the chemistry. For instance for global warming, we need only assign "greenhouse gases" as byproducts of certain things that are happening. For every coal burning power plant, you would have an output of X greenhouse gases, as well as other factories, cars, machines, etc. the outputs are all added together and that is taken into account. Let's say plants take Y amount of greenhouse gases out of the air, and Z is taken in by oceans and other things. That leaves X-Y-Z amount of greenhouse gases still released into the atmosphere. That amount will be "A" Now depending on how large this is, this may or may not have a direct effect on the climate at a certain time, but as long as "A" is not taken in by anything, it'll stay up there.

That may seem complicated or confusing, but it's a lot easier than having the computer figure out how the chemicals actually work together.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 7:11 pm

global warming is a natural process and i don't consider it as a part from environmental disasters. those are not caused on purpose and are do to mistakes, global warming is the easier part, causing oil spills to happen within the game without the aid of a player is seemingly difficult as computer creatures don't make mistakes in any other program.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 7:14 pm

koiboi59 wrote:
global warming is a natural process and i don't consider it as a part from environmental disasters. those are not caused on purpose and are do to mistakes, global warming is the easier part, causing oil spills to happen within the game without the aid of a player is seemingly difficult as computer creatures don't make mistakes in any other program.
"Mistakes" is a bad word for it. If we program the culture right, and the game is chaotic enough, it will be odd to see things like that NOT happening.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 7:19 pm

~sciocont wrote:
koiboi59 wrote:
"Mistakes" is a bad word for it. If we program the culture right, and the game is chaotic enough, it will be odd to see things like that NOT happening.

well how exactly is that going to be programmed? it sounds like it would be crazy hard.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 7:26 pm

koiboi59 wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
koiboi59 wrote:

well how exactly is that going to be programmed? it sounds like it would be crazy hard.
Because of all of the different things going on in the game, it will be a pretty complex environment, and we can probably program a margin of error into a population's culture, which will lead to an even more chaotic and dangerous environment because things will be done randomly within a given set of parameters. For instance, If someone is supposed to drive a car to someplace and be there in thirty minutes, and their margin of error is 10%, they could get there anywhere in between 27 and 33 minutes. That kind of thing won't be happening individually in the game, it's just an example, but you can see how little things would add up to cause huge disasters.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 7:55 pm

~sciocont wrote:
koiboi59 wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
koiboi59 wrote:

Because of all of the different things going on in the game, it will be a pretty complex environment, and we can probably program a margin of error into a population's culture, which will lead to an even more chaotic and dangerous environment because things will be done randomly within a given set of parameters. For instance, If someone is supposed to drive a car to someplace and be there in thirty minutes, and their margin of error is 10%, they could get there anywhere in between 27 and 33 minutes. That kind of thing won't be happening individually in the game, it's just an example, but you can see how little things would add up to cause huge disasters.

i guess you got a point there.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 9:08 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Accidents don't exist, remember that.
I think we should take a simpler approach to all of this and bypass the chemistry. For instance for global warming, we need only assign "greenhouse gases" as byproducts of certain things that are happening. For every coal burning power plant, you would have an output of X greenhouse gases, as well as other factories, cars, machines, etc. the outputs are all added together and that is taken into account. Let's say plants take Y amount of greenhouse gases out of the air, and Z is taken in by oceans and other things. That leaves X-Y-Z amount of greenhouse gases still released into the atmosphere. That amount will be "A" Now depending on how large this is, this may or may not have a direct effect on the climate at a certain time, but as long as "A" is not taken in by anything, it'll stay up there.

That may seem complicated or confusing, but it's a lot easier than having the computer figure out how the chemicals actually work together.

I'm thinking about exposing this type of capability to scripts.
See, I'm a programmer, not a biologist, meteorologist or whatever.
Therefore, much of the algorithms the game will need, I will apply as scripts for the game to run.

In this case, it will be

class planet
{
std::list<string>planetscripts
int RunPlanetScripts()
}

The game runs RunPlanetScripts each tick, amd that runs each planet script in sequence.

Then we will have a special tool called the script manager that we use to plug various scripts in and out of the game during development.
That, during the mid stages of development, we can add more people to the team, who will come up with and tweak different scripts while Me, papergrape, and the other programmers continue to extent the engine.

It is a standoff between

Lua:
http://www.lua.org/

And FalconPL:
http://www.falconpl.org/

Basically, when you embed a scripting language into a program, you expose functions and variables to the program, and an executed script can work with those functions and variables.

So, in the planet object, i will include various variables (and add any requested variables) and expose them to the scripting language, and move any frequently used pieces of code (such as sin/cos/tan) from the scripting side to the engine in order to speed things up a bit.

Embedding Lua is the first priority after i get the State Manager (possible chaning its name to the module manager) up and running.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:30 pm

I'm glad that made sense to both of us Bashi.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 2:48 am

Sorry for wanting to grab so much attention, but you did hear what I said about simulating liquids on page 1, right?

Does it deserve its own thread?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 5:32 pm

Lua, woohoo! Finally something I can code in!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Noitulove wrote:
I think, global warming would basically be simulated by raising the water level at the same rate that ice formations 'shrink'. The area around the sun might gain a brighter, warmer (red) tint, even if the sky was a cool (blue, green, purple, etc.) color, giving off the appearance of a hotter atmosphere and the average tempurature would be recorded as higher, if your species has discovered thermometers which would require mercury.

Which reminds me, we're going to have to be able to simulate liquids accurately in fairly large portions (I.E. a small pond or bathtub) without dropping framerates by the dozen in order to do this and many other things in-game and, not being a programmer, I don't know how we can do that.
I remember seeing a video of a physics engine that could accurately simulate the motions of liquids, but i think it's too complex/expensive for us to use.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 10:22 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Noitulove wrote:

I remember seeing a video of a physics engine that could accurately simulate the motions of liquids, but i think it's too complex/expensive for us to use.

Spore had a prototype on their site that accurately allowed water physics. Of course, they never put that prototype to good use so whatever. Anyway, we could probably get a good idea of what it takes to get a liquid physics engine running.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Global Warming and Environmental Disasters   Global Warming and Environmental Disasters Empty

Back to top Go down

Global Warming and Environmental Disasters
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next