Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Evolution of Intelligence Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Evolution of Intelligence

Go down 
+3
Sentient_Cats
~sciocont
tklarenb
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Evolution of Intelligence Empty
PostSubject: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 2:02 am

I just thought of something that I haven't really seen much here or on the wiki. How will intelligence evolve? And along with this, how will sapience be determined? I know we only have one example of sapience to go off of (us), but I think this is a major point that needs to be discussed. I'm not talking about what actions a creature has available based on intelligence, but the manner the intelligence comes about in the first place. Based off the concept of the organism phase, we don't want it linear like Spore where you always end up at sapience. How else can we do this, and what creates and determines intelligence?
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 10:53 am

I'm no expert on brain evolution, but I think this may have to do with adaptability. A species that is more adaptable would have to know more about its world, and as a result be more intelligent. This ties in with humans, as we are extremely adaptable, the most adaptable species on Earth. I don't know how we could implement this into the game, but that's my idea.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 pm

High intelligence has evolved separately multiple times here on earth, and there are probably multiple cases of it that we don't know about, due to the difficulty of determining intelligence from fossils. High intelligence has evolved in:
Primates
Octopi
Corvids
Psittaciformes
Maniraptorans (most likely)
Cetaceans

In primates, cetaceans, psittaciformes and maniraptorans, this intelligence exists because of important social interactions within a group of the animals. In octupi, intelligence evolved as a way to solve problems during a solitary life. In Corvids, it seems to have evolved simply due to its use in finding and exploiting food sources.

Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 12:52 pm

~sciocont wrote:
High intelligence has evolved separately multiple times here on earth, and there are probably multiple cases of it that we don't know about, due to the difficulty of determining intelligence from fossils. High intelligence has evolved in:
Primates
Octopi
Corvids
Psittaciformes
Cetaceans

In primates, cetaceans, psittaciformes and maniraptorans, this intelligence exists because of important social interactions within a group of the animals. In octupi, intelligence evolved as a way to solve problems during a solitary life. In Corvids, it seems to have evolved simply due to its use in finding and exploiting food sources.

That kind of goes with my theory on adaptability. All the examples you gave are creatures that are highly adaptable, but yes, I think social interaction has to do a part with it too.

Last edited by tklarenb on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:00 pm

Really, this shows two forms of intelligence: social and solitary. It seems that social intelligence is more likely to evolve, but with this small set, who knows. Either way, we know that living in small groups contributes to intelligence, whereas living in herds does not.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:12 pm

I found this wikipedia article on human intelligence has quite a few theories we could use (most of them centering around your social group theory)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_human_intelligence

Now that we have a basis for what determines intelligence, is there a way we can implement this into the game? Here's my idea:
We have a sort of intelligence bar that's either visible to the player or just runs in the background that fills based off of what traits your creature has that are unique to intelligent creatures, such as complex communication, a large, complex brain, small social groups, etc. This way, solitary animals and herd animals would still have a chance to become sapient, just not as large of a chance as small social group animals since they're missing the "small social" trait. Maybe this bar could also unlock certain actions the player can do, such as tool usage, which could in turn increase the bar even more if used (they would not be required, giving the player the choice of where they go). Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:55 pm

tklarenb wrote:
I found this wikipedia article on human intelligence has quite a few theories we could use (most of them centering around your social group theory)

Now that we have a basis for what determines intelligence, is there a way we can implement this into the game? Here's my idea:
We have a sort of intelligence bar that's either visible to the player or just runs in the background that fills based off of what traits your creature has that are unique to intelligent creatures, such as complex communication, a large, complex brain, small social groups, etc. This way, solitary animals and herd animals would still have a chance to become sapient, just not as large of a chance as small social group animals since they're missing the "small social" trait. Maybe this bar could also unlock certain actions the player can do, such as tool usage, which could in turn increase the bar even more if used (they would not be required, giving the player the choice of where they go). Thoughts?
We can in no way limit player intelligence, because the player is smarter than anything in the game. we can use this for NPC intelligence, but as for the player's species, we can do the same thing we do for other NPCs, which is tweak the nervous system and behavior until the right mix of traits makes evolution probable to evolve.

Tool usage is dependent on physiology, since animals need some appendage, whether it be tentacle, mouth, hand, etc, to pick up and use the tool. Therefore, we can, bty limiting the dexterity of the player's creature's graspers, prevent them from using tools until their appendages are better suited.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:59 pm

~sciocont wrote:
tklarenb wrote:

We can in no way limit player intelligence, because the player is smarter than anything in the game. we can use this for NPC intelligence, but as for the player's species, we can do the same thing we do for other NPCs, which is tweak the nervous system and behavior until the right mix of traits makes evolution probable to evolve.

Tool usage is dependent on physiology, since animals need some appendage, whether it be tentacle, mouth, hand, etc, to pick up and use the tool. Therefore, we can, bty limiting the dexterity of the player's creature's graspers, prevent them from using tools until their appendages are better suited.
Yeah, when I wrote this I was thinking more towards NPC evolution. But how will we determine when the player is sapient then? Is that already written somewhere where I missed it?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Check here.
Back to top Go down
Sentient_Cats
Newcomer
Sentient_Cats

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 3:01 am

~sciocont wrote:
Primates
Octopi
Corvids
Psittaciformes
Cetaceans

High Intelligence is also present within Cats and Dogs
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Yes, but not exceptionally high.
Back to top Go down
GreatGranpapy
Newcomer
GreatGranpapy

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 12:33 pm

So, hi all. I would just like clarify something.
So, in Walking with Cavemen, the early humans (can't remember exact species) had what could be described as basic intelligence in a scene where they ran from a lion, then the alpha male realized their numbers would allow them to overwhelm the lion and scare it from their food. They also picked up rocks to throw at the lion. A later species of human (I'll call it a type of human for lack of knowledge of a better term) was able to use rocks to sharpen flint into hand haxes-
Evolution of Intelligence Flint_2
This could be described as a very high level of intelligence. This same species also had the first (I think) chest configuration that gave them the first ever basic language. The also seem to have strange interest in nick-knacks such as a crocodilian tooth that the alpha would play around with similar to if one were to play around with a pencil while at their desk.
Now, the thing is that they were intelligent, and just that. They used the same tools to kill a beast that the leader told them to encircle. They couldn't wonder about a flower waving in a light breeze, admire the clouds as they pass overhead, and feel thankful for the inevitable shade. They were just smart. The show states that fossil records stay unchanged for an incredibly long time, a mark of evolutionary stagnation. They used the same hand axes for several thousand years, making them as a bird would make a nest (comparison plucked from the show). The show used an event such as lightning striking some brambles to ignite fire as sort of an external trigger to make the creature contemplate. Not on anything specific, just allow philosophical thought. In the final episode, in the last part, the show was going over the difficulties of the European species to adapt to the changing weather. It describes the neanderthal as becoming evolutionary complacent, a deadly curse. Because they were so used to Ice Age life, they were ill suited for a changing world. The show then goes to the African branch of the early humans. It showed them burying an ostrich egg with water in it, stating that this was a level of intelligence that was a sign of sapience, because they were planning ahead, anticipating the future need of water if they were to pass through the area. This can be interpreted as different from an animal storing food, because they just store food because they adapted to, not because the never did it before and just felt the need to store a portion of a kill in anticipation of a lack of prey.
Now to the implications of ideas used in the giant wall of text (apologies). I don't know myself how sapience would be caused/triggered/achieved, and I'm not saying it should be done by means of an external source. I'm just saying evolving to an intelligent level is different from sapience.
When one reaches intelligence, basic tools such as sticks, hand axes, and rocks should be available for the player to use in the "creature" faze. There should also be a kind of climate change system (looked up "climate change" in the search bar, got the climate math codes) to add a level of challenge that interrupts the player's evolutionary plan, forcing them to evolve according to the change (just a suggestion, this might over complicate things for actual development), but this is an idea for another thread, and I can't exactly make threads right now. So, what do you think? Oh ya, the thing I was confused about was if there would be a difference between the two.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Good science. To summarise, tool use and planning ahead are separate evolutionary steps.

What do you suppose this means in terms of gameplay? Organisms intelligently planning ahead (i.e. doing it beyond the Behaviours system) is not really something realistically programmable*, and doesn't really add to gameplay, either - our current plan is to simplify organisms post-sentience, and focus on the bigger picture.
So the alternative we fall back on is toolmaking as the trigger for sapience in-game, and then we're back where we started.

*In Thrive, for something to be realistically programmable, also means Roadkillguy can do it if given enough tasty treats, at least until we find more programmers.

As for climate change, my best guess is that climate (planet temperature) change will be a randomly occurring natural disaster, but you'd have to ask those more knowledgable in that area, or search for an existing topic.
Back to top Go down
GreatGranpapy
Newcomer
GreatGranpapy

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 4:19 pm

I didn't really mean to put an planning ahead element in. I was just using it as an example of sapience. I guess sapience would mark the beginning of the tech tree/web/other. Things like flint spears, fire, and early shelters become available.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Speaking about tech trees, with their be varying types of trees? For example, a society formed in a forest would try to use wood for weapons and try to do more with what they have, vs a society using metal would try to do more with copper and such
Back to top Go down
GreatGranpapy
Newcomer
GreatGranpapy

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 5:04 pm

That would make sense. If a species didn't have access to sustainable amounts of wood, their most basic tools wood be from bone, then more complex from there.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Nice posts to all.
Planning ahead is an essential part of intelligence, but it's not indicative of it. Much "planning" is innate behavior, like that of bears and squirrels fattening up and storing food for the winter. This we can't call sapient intelligence.
However, what underlies true planning is true intelligence. This is the recognization of patterns and ability to use abstract thought. This is exhibited to some degree in many species of birds. Hit up the wikipedia page on avian intelligence and you'll see tons of examples of behaviors that would seem to use real intelligence.
The obvious way to evolve intelligence is modification of the brain, so, to evolve it ingame, you'll need a sufficiently large brain to body size ratio, a brain with a high surface area, and modifications to the brain that allow the species in question to recognize patterns and use abstract ideas.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:01 pm

So, now what, Sciocont?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 12:50 pm

We save this for later. Right now we need to focus on Cell Stage and early multicellular stage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Intelligence   Evolution of Intelligence Empty

Back to top Go down

Evolution of Intelligence
Page 1 of 1