Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Function Part Discussion

Go down 
+14
penumbra espinosa
Jimexmore
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
FunnyGames
Holomanga
untrustedlife
Raptorstorm
WilliamstheJohn
Sundu
US_of_Alaska
Daniferrito
NickTheNick
Tarpy
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:18 pm

Yes, increasing how fast a plant can be harvested is what it does. However, what plants does it work with is non-trivial.

A scythe works great with grain and similars. However, for harvesting melons, the thing changes. As we are not going to have predefined plants, we need a way of defining what plants can be harvested with scythes and what plants dont. It is the same ptoblem as with cotton, that was brought up some time ago.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Almost anything can be used as a weapon if it can be held, though some more effective than others. *looks at propane torch and monkey wrench*

Well, maybe there could be code markers in parts of the plants that define their harvest class, or something along those lines.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:21 pm

Aren't things like cotton and fruit distinguished as part of the plant? The scythe would only be used for the stalk. For example, cotton plants aren't cut from the cottony part, but from the stalk, as is wheat.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:22 pm

That just brings the problem back, but doesent solve it. How do we decide what plants recieve that markers and whick dont?
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Maybe it's a piece in the stalk? Or the player can choose in the plant's AI how it is harvested, or what the computer should detect it as?

Just thinking out loud here. (Sort of. .3.)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Ohh, I see. I think the best way to solve this is to identify scenarios where there would be a problem, and then trying to find a solution that way, like you already did above.

Melons wouldn't be cut themselves, but the stalk that hold them to the main part of the plant would be. And wouldn't that be sufficient? Then you just take it back to the farm and cut it up, or ship it to somewhere where they do that, but where and how they cut it is not important.

EDIT: Any examples I can think of, the stalk is cut, and the rest of the fruit or whatever is being detached is taken off and collected.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Well, you can cut melons just as fast with your hand that with a scythe. And the benefit of a scythe is that you can cut 20+ wheat stalks at once, instead of doing it one by one.

We could just ignore the part of cuting things, so the unit just has to get there, pick up as much as it can (by their maximum weight carried) and bring it back to the central stockpile. In that case, scythes would be useless, but we avoided the problem with it.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Thats a good point of the collective harvesting of wheat being the function of scythes, but removing scythes altogether seems like taking out too much. How could we differentiate between plant parts like wheat and cotton, which are collected with scythes (I read someplace that cotton is cut with scythes, and then another that said it isn't), from fruits, which generally aren't?
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 12:09 am

Tags in the coding that the AI or whatever can pick up on?

I'm not exactly a coder yet, so I'm not sure if that's possible.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 3:27 am

Adding a tag to say that a plant can be best harvested using a scythe would be the best way. However, we need a way of deciding what plants recieve that tag and what plants dont. That is, a way the compoter can look at a plant and tell if it is suitable to be harvested by a scythe.

Unless/Untill someone comes up with a way of doing so, we need a simpler way of doing that. That is, all plants can be harvested faster with a scythe, or the harvesting is independant of the scythe.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 4:12 am

I think all plants being harvested faster would be preferable over no scythes for harvesting, if we can't think of how to apply the tags.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 4:22 am

Ok for me. That would settle scythes unless someone comes up with a way of discerning proper scythe-able plants. Probably when we get to doing the evolving plants we will have a better way of discerning them, as we will know how plants are stored.

Next one is net. Nets have two uses i my opinion. Main one is fishing. the bigger are the net has, the more fish it catches, but it can only catch fish bigger than the size of the holes. Bigger nets or smaller holes just means more resources to build them and heavier nets. The fish population dynamics will handle that the fish is not an infinite resource.

The other use i can think of is for making traps. However, we might just ignore that case.

Nets need to be made out of the same material ropes are.

Anything else?

@Nick: You might want to update the list on the first post.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 5:45 am

Nets should also increase speed of fish harvest.
Also, i have idea how that could function:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 6:02 am

Isnt that what i said? Nets would be used for fishing.

However, it should not just increse fish gathering speed. Mainly because without a net, you cannot fish anything. If a ship goes out to the sea without a net, it will come back with 0 fishes, so a 40% increase of 0 is useless.

On top of that, nets are usually much bigger. Also, nets should be measured in m2 (area), not just linear distance. I would look up some nets usual sizes, but my internet is acting funny and i dont have access to some parts of it (i blame google's dns server)
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 8:55 am

Well, not all nets are massive, what about hand nets that tribal might use?

Also, some boats today use Longlines, which are usually fairly effective, since it's just a really long fishing line or cable with hooks at intervals, sometimes it is used for fishing things like marlin, or on certain vessels, dropping the line down deep to catch deep-sea fish, etc.

Or just send a boat out with a lot of fishing poles, that could be for like tourist fishing, and keeping up population morale.

I'd post a link to a source with other types of fishing boats n' things, but I can't yet. .3.

Note: Maybe "Cages" could be changed to something more like "Crab Pots". Just a thought.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe the plant tag is in part of the stem, or maybe what the plant produces? Or maybe it is player-set when they make plants or something?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 9:03 am

Well, nets can go from small ones to the massive one that are used on massive fishing ships. All sizes will be allowed.

For other ways of fishing, other FP are needed. Those are to be discussed when discussing those other FP.

For the tags, if the player was obligated to make all plants himself we wount have much problems. He would decide what plants deserve what tags and that would be it. But as most players wont want to manually create plants (and they wont be able to anyway untill god-mode) that is not a solution. If we add a tag for it, we need a way of placing-not placing the tag.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 9:12 am

Maybe the tag is in a part? Like how there's fruit, maybe one part will produce grains, one cottony substances, etc.?
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 9:22 am

Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox wrote:
Well, not all nets are massive, what about hand nets that tribal might use?

Also, some boats today use Longlines, which are usually fairly effective, since it's just a really long fishing line or cable with hooks at intervals, sometimes it is used for fishing things like marlin, or on certain vessels, dropping the line down deep to catch deep-sea fish, etc.

Or just send a boat out with a lot of fishing poles, that could be for like tourist fishing, and keeping up population morale.

I'd post a link to a source with other types of fishing boats n' things, but I can't yet. .3.

QFT
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:32 am

Despite the fact that I do know the difference between longlines and ordinary nets, I can't think of a reason why longlines would have an impact on the game.

Basically, the larger the net, the more fish you catch but they will also need a much larger force to be pulled out of the water. Units can only be equipped with small nets and will catch much less fish than a ship obviously, however, in the early phases of the post-sapience stage, these would be very useful since these early civ's most probably either won't have the technology or the wealth to build these ships.

Updated the description.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:02 am

Well, units are limited by the max weight they can carry, so that limits the size of the net they can carry. Plus, it will have to carry the fish it gathered as well, so...

About the more force you need to get it out, you would just take it out slower.

I agree it could be a usefull source of food early on it the tribe happens to be close to a fish-rich area, and if the creatures' digestive system can handle it.

You dont actually need much tecnology to go fishing on a boat with nets. All you need is a small wooden vehicle that can float, a way of moving it (paddles i believe they are called) and the nets. Actually, i believe the net is more tecnologically advanced than the actual ships (but its not a prerequisite, its just easier to get wooden ships)

Of course, huge ships that can go for months on the sea, that freeze the fish to keep it from decaying, with sonars to locate the fish schools, and all that fancy stuff is much advanced, but you dont need that for one-day trips into close sea.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed May 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Well, nets cover larger areas than longlines, yes, but longlines would probably be just as easy, if not easier to produce, plus it can be easier to limit your quotas with the lines an not grab unintended victims like your planets equivalent to dolphins sharks or whales, this way you can regulate your fishing industry so you don't over fish an area quite so easily. Just my thoughts on that, let me know if you need me to clarify anything.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:40 am

When you set a quota (or what fish you actually want to catch) I doubt that catching other fish should affect anything. Wrong fish would just be set free.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:53 am

Hmm... I guess I shall look for a the pros and cons of longlining and netting, then. To the search engine!

Well, it would seem the food institute known as Nofima seems to believe that longling brings in better quality fish.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox on Thu May 30, 2013 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Information found.)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 7:28 pm

Longlines can be added as well, but nets are a must, since they are so easy to use and common. Net size should only affect the maximum volume it can hold. The unit equipping the net should only be able to equip it if they had enough strength, after deducting everything else they are carrying, to carry that net at max capacity. That way, players wont be making unrealistically large nets that the unit shouldn't be able to carry.

Also, I don't think we should have the player bother with the specific underwater organisms they are catching. Any organism is food, with larger ones taking more space, and smaller ones less. Some will have more meat on their bodies, some less. All that should happen when a unit begins the action of using their net is that random underwater organisms in the water are caught into the net until the unit stops or the net reaches its cap. It would be too much micro to go specifically say, "you catch these fish, you catch these..." and to also simulate units catching the wrong fish.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Well at this point, yeah it does seem superfluous, but maybe some point way off in the future, after the structure of the game is virtually finished, things like that could be made as add-ons or something. (I'll probably be able to code by then, so i could help with that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Function Part Discussion
Page 10 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next