Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Revamping the Wiki

Go down 
+15
dinoman9877
FalmerbloodElixir
Inca
hypoxanthine
Daniferrito
Oliveriver
ExtraSolar
~sciocont
WJacobC
Nimbal
untrustedlife
Tarpy
WilliamstheJohn
RodGame
NickTheNick
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 3:34 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Okay, thanks. It's up there now.

Anyone able to get some concept pages underway? There is a lot left for the pre-sapience stages of the game.

Looks very, very good.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:44 am

Okay, so I wanted to revamp the page on revamping the wiki. At the moment, I am at work on the Research Web, as well as the Research and Inventions list. Are there any pages you guys want to offer to do?

As a tip, I'll be especially grateful for pages regarding niches, biomes, the compound system, food webs, the microbe stage, and the multicellular stage.

Even contributing ideas for pages we should make would be welcome, as I feel there are some that are missing that I just can't put my finger on.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 2:57 am

I offer me to do biomes page, which is pretty outdated. Il start working on it soon.
Wow, we didnt work on this for a long time.

Update:
Here it is! (WARNING! Wall-o-text)

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 3:49 am

Wait whoa William thats a big page and I don't even know what you changed there.

Updating the biomes page takes a lot of knowledge on the current biome concept, something which I think only really scio and calli know at the moment, and my suggestion of biomes was a hint for them to offer what they know.

Also, most of what you did was merging all the separate pages on the biomes into a massive biome page. It's better to keep them separate, since they take up a lot of space. What's important is to write the definition of biomes by the CPU, what variables fluctuate between different biomes, the relationships between biomes and food webs, niches, organisms, etc.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 3:55 am

I acttualy just collected all concepts at here, so we dont need to search, just section it. I added full biome list, how types are diferent, fixed some mistakes, and etc.

Last edited by WilliamstheJohn on Wed May 08, 2013 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 3:57 am

No, Im saying the way it already is now.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 4:03 am

I'm not sure that concept of biomes is still valid anymore. I remember a post of scio saying that the concept had been scraped in exange for a much more open and simple evolution and population systems involving compounds. However, i cannot find such post anymore, so i'll have to let scio enlighten us on that.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 4:06 am

Exactly my intention. I hope by suggesting biomes I will elicit a response explaining what theyve been replaced with.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 4:22 am

I cant find any newer concepts.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 12:35 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
I hope by suggesting biomes I will elicit a response explaining what theyve been replaced with.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
I'm not sure that concept of biomes is still valid anymore. I remember a post of scio saying that the concept had been scraped in exange for a much more open and simple evolution and population systems involving compounds. However, i cannot find such post anymore, so i'll have to let scio enlighten us on that.
Biomes are still valid, we just don't need to name them like we did before. The current plan is to just have certain ranges of variables across terrain tiles, and all contiguous tiles within a certain set of ranges will make up one biome. Basically, when a planet is generated, all of the tiles get height/light/heat/seasonality/moisture variables attached to them. A biome is made by selecting a tile, then selecting all of the tiles around it whose height/light/heat/seasonality/moisture variables are within a close range of the original tile's. Does that make biomes a little easier to understand?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Ahh, that makes far more sense and sounds like an excellent idea as well. I recommend someone update the wiki based off of that in order to settle such confusion in the future.

Also, scio, what was the conclusion to that discussion on the Auto-Evo thread?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 7:32 am

Doggit's asked me to ask you to change the soundtrack page on the Wiki to mention that many of my themes were commissioned and/or edited by him. Of the current themes listed under my name on the Wiki, the Feelings Theme, Landing on a Satellite Theme and both Microbe Editor Themes were commissioned by him, while the Desert Theme, Feelings Theme and the Landing on a Satellite Theme were edited by him.

You might also want to add a link to the playlist I made containing all the themes, including some which have been composed since the Wiki page was updated (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1xZFxatUbjMTzgTTI6FRxxhnS4h7hT1x).
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Sure thing, I'll update the wiki now.
Back to top Go down
hypoxanthine
Newcomer
hypoxanthine

PostSubject: hello, im new here   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyTue May 21, 2013 9:57 am

hi, looking to help out. Ive been reading all over the forum so I could keep the wiki updated constantly. Should i create an account now or do I have to wait until im in that developer usergroup?
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyTue May 21, 2013 11:26 am

hypoxanthine wrote:
hi, looking to help out. Ive been reading all over the forum so I could keep the wiki updated constantly. Should i create an account now or do I have to wait until im in that developer usergroup?

I dont know.
But be careful, alot of stuff on forums are outdated.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:16 am

hypoxanthine wrote:

To start just apply for wiki pages here, and then if you get the job (which you most likely will) post your work here and it will be updated into the wiki. If you do a lot of work towards the wiki you will get editing rights to it.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 4:45 am

Okay, with more time on my hands I would like to revive the efforts towards keeping the wiki as our main source of up-to-date concept, as has also been suggested by RodGame and Inca. Are there any pages anyone would like to do? I will be posting some material on the Procedural Culture Generator sometime tomorrow, as well as in its thread.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 6:54 am

I can do god tools page.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Well I'm still playing catch up in a lot of areas. My understand of each concept is not yet full enough to work on wiki pages myself, but I will do later on.

Unless it is just a case of condensing a topic into a wiki page, I don't mind doing that?
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 6:57 pm

@WilliamsTheJohn

We haven't had any discussions on the God Tools page recently. What is there to add?

@Inca

Sure. See if you can find any threads that you want to put onto the wiki, link them here, and we can tell you if it counts as current concept.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 5:48 am

NickTheNick wrote:
@WilliamsTheJohn

We haven't had any discussions on the God Tools page recently. What is there to add?
Some overall info.

Heres my example: (Will be improved later)

God Tools
God tools are imensely powerful space stage tools. They can be used for teraforming, destruction, and other things that player can do without god tools. Diference is that god tools are imensely powerful. They are unlocked after ascension, or in sandbox mode.

Uses
God tools have same uses like normal space stage tools:
-Destruction
-Terraforming
-Communication
-Other
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:16 am

I'm not positive that God Tools are only magnified player abilities. Some would be powers only available as God Tools.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 6:43 am

Well, most of them are. Update:

God Tools

God tools are imensely powerful space stage tools. They can be used for teraforming, destruction, and other things that player can do without god tools. Diference is that god tools are imensely powerful. Some powers, howewer, are avalivable only as god tools. (Example: Creating artificial black holes) They are unlocked after ascension, or in sandbox mode.

Uses
God tools have same uses like normal space stage tools:
-Destruction
-Terraforming
-Communication
-Diplomacy
-Other
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 4:56 am

It still seems like the comparison to space tools is unnecessary. Remember, God Tools are not derived from technology. They are inherently supra-technological and metaphysical. They are less tools and more just powers, like in the Black and White series, or Populous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Revamping the Wiki
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next