Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Music Team - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Music Team

Go down 
+21
pcerda
Protocol Interference
penumbra espinosa
tklarenb
Dr_Chillgood
Vegemyte
ido66667
BastianKraft
Mysterious_Calligrapher
WTFBerserk!
Bob Blackmon
andry796
Bashinerox
Tenebrarum
The Uteen
ThatGuy
Albalrogue
caekdaemon
~sciocont
hongchong7
RpTheHotrod
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

Music Team - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 1:13 am

Setting: Dark exploration
Low Quality Streaming:
http://soundcloud.com/rpthehotrod/ambienc
High Quality File:
http://www.filedropper.com/test10a

and just lil trivia, that's actually my voice at the end. XD
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 3:15 am

HG Here with some new music. Here is what I came up with this week. I know I'm 1 hour late when I said I would post what I had composed by the 12th, but it's here!

MAIN THEME OF THRIVE
Youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzORDb5U5Bc

The main menu picture is one I created. I compose with an image in mind. The theme's image was the planet and sun image on the background of the forum. It's also what I imagined to be the main menu music, and or cinematic trailer music if we decide to create one. The theme has been extended and has a faster variation to it.

SPACE AMBIANCE
Megaupload link
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BO0W2S7B

This track was created on a spur! As many people on the forum have requested, the tracks beside the main theme will have a more ambient approach. This is a short space - exploration theme I whipped up in about an hour. Short and sweet yes, but it does have a small hint at some of the theme composed above.

The idea behind this theme was exploring space. Looking for something that we aren't even sure exists. Imagine hearing the roar of rocket engines in the background, the low hum, and throw this composition on top. We've got ourselves a space ambiance feel.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 1:01 pm

I like this music. Especially the theme. (and menu(e?) image) (Seriously, what's the difference between menu and menue?)

hongchong7 wrote:
imagine hearing the roar of rocket engines in the background, the low hum

Space is a vacuum, you shouldn't really be able to hear the engines.... Except in org mode inside the ship. It'd work great there. Goood music.

And I noticed we don't seem to have much, if any, city stage music. I'm setting a challenge, the person to make the best music for city stage wins...

This guy:
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Hey UTeen, THANKS!

I'll be working on the City Stage music now. I feel really good about the theme, but I know we're gonna need to do some more work with it, some minor tweaks here and there. And I know that RP is going to resample it with some better strings, synths, ect when he gets his equipment in.

Now here's what I'm looking at in a city landscape.
First thing that comes to mind is the cars, the buildings, and the ambient sounds like cars honking, construction going on, people user created organisms walking around, ect. All of these sounds can be SFX, but as for the music in the background, would it be upbeat? Slow? Or would it be dynamic to the city, as in a goofy Dr. Seuss-esque city would have a more whimsical feel to the city, as a industrial city would have more of a back-beat and industrial approach? A war-economy driven city may have trumpet reveille happening in the background followed by snare drum rolls, flute trills, ect.

Is this the image we're looking at? Whenever I sink my teeth into a composition, It's always nice to have some sort of image, especially when making video game music, since players are more likely to listen with their eyes than their ears.

I'll keep my eyes posted to the City Stage threads and see what I can find. I'll also look into the concept art. Thanks for my next project UTeen. Wiki will be updated today.
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 2:04 pm

The Uteen wrote:
I like this music. Especially the theme. (and menu(e?) image) (Seriously, what's the difference between menu and menue?)

hongchong7 wrote:
imagine hearing the roar of rocket engines in the background, the low hum

Space is a vacuum, you shouldn't really be able to hear the engines.... Except in org mode inside the ship. It'd work great there. Goood music.

And I noticed we don't seem to have much, if any, city stage music. I'm setting a challenge, the person to make the best music for city stage wins...

This guy:

Would my ambiance be considered something you'd think would fit or is it too dark sounding?
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 2:17 pm

RpTheHotrod wrote:

Would my ambiance be considered something you'd think would fit or is it too dark sounding?

Like we discussed earlier, there's too much going on in there. There will be plenty of action on stage for players to make their own soundtrack to. It's also really dark, almost too dark. We could consider it to be a theme for a worm hole, or nova possibly? Otherwise, I can't really see it work in the game as of now.

Perhaps you could tweak it? Take out some of those bass beeps and more?
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 4:17 pm

I liked both of the tracks RpTheHotrod the dark ambiance one should last a little longer. I think Ambiance music should have slow movement, if any movement.

Onto Hongchong7's theme. I thought it was very good perhaps sad but very strong.
Although I was hoping after the bells solo you would break into a final strong movement but I was upset when I didn't hear it. The lasting impact is important! The instruments sounded very good but I probably can guess that you used a string sample. It might be a good Idea to either get a live recording for the strings or a better sample. But overall it sounds 80-90 percent close to perfect.

Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 6:02 pm

RpTheHotrod: Dark Ambience was alright. Good work there, but nothing to write home about.

hongchong7: Ambience is good. Not much else to say. Now, about the theme: I love the variations, but I'd love to hear them earlier and more often. This song is slowly getting better. Keep working, and maybe try redoing it with different insturments. You never know how much they can change the feel, often for the better (If only as an experiment).

Both of you: I know how hard this is, but no matter how fitting, never put ambient noises into music intended for background music. It may turn the entire thing into a masterpeice, but it will still confuse a player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WHUPvdpyPY&feature=related

I hadn't found this before. Who did it? I actually really like it. It should be expanded upon.

Also, background music can still have a tune. In some cases, where you are doing something that the game actually can recognize as something the player it trying to do (Fighting, digging, climbing, swinging through trees, maybe building) than it'd be suiting to add a tune there.
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
RpTheHotrod: Dark Ambience was alright. Good work there, but nothing to write home about.

hongchong7: Ambience is good. Not much else to say. Now, about the theme: I love the variations, but I'd love to hear them earlier and more often. This song is slowly getting better. Keep working, and maybe try redoing it with different insturments. You never know how much they can change the feel, often for the better (If only as an experiment).

Both of you: I know how hard this is, but no matter how fitting, never put ambient noises into music intended for background music. It may turn the entire thing into a masterpeice, but it will still confuse a player.

I hadn't found this before. Who did it? I actually really like it. It should be expanded upon.

Also, background music can still have a tune. In some cases, where you are doing something that the game actually can recognize as something the player it trying to do (Fighting, digging, climbing, swinging through trees, maybe building) than it'd be suiting to add a tune there.

That link actually sounds strangely familiar. I must have run across it before on a random youtube or something.
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 8:35 pm

ThatGuy wrote:
I liked both of the tracks RpTheHotrod the dark ambiance one should last a little longer. I think Ambiance music should have slow movement, if any movement.

Onto Hongchong7's theme. I thought it was very good perhaps sad but very strong.
Although I was hoping after the bells solo you would break into a final strong movement but I was upset when I didn't hear it. The lasting impact is important! The instruments sounded very good but I probably can guess that you used a string sample. It might be a good Idea to either get a live recording for the strings or a better sample. But overall it sounds 80-90 percent close to perfect.

We're planning on resolving the strings pretty soon. Still in the foundational stage
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 8:43 pm

RpTheHotrod wrote:

We're planning on resolving the strings pretty soon. Still in the foundational stage

QFT
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:12 pm

No reply on the actual content of my post?
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
No reply on the actual content of my post?

We're actually deeply taking it in The game isn't the only thing evolving. Things will change based on feedback.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:32 pm

I personally like the main theme music from Hongchong. However, i do have my criticisms

I think the song should be shifted a couple bars forward from about 0:7. The piano comes in waaay to early. And leaves too quickly at that.

and stretch out the percussion section that starts at about 1:08 and ends at 1:38.

All of this is for a great reason:

Game theory. :3..

A menu song should give the user enough time to browse through every menu item without the song restarting.

A great way to do this, actually, is to have an intro, (such as the first 1:08 of the song greatly shortened) and then cutting the song from there into a separate section that can be looped (say 1:08 to 2:20 slightly rearranged)

And then leave the full version of the song for the actual opening Sequences after you click new game.

This also has the great effect of the player going "Oh snap, It's not just the main menu music replayed, its got extra bits on it!"

also i don't like the string note at 2:19.5. I think the piano solo should remain clean
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:40 pm

Rpthehotrod:

The bit-rate is horrible. Please encode to at least 240kb/s if not 320kb/s for the love of god.. [Yes I'm an Audiophile. My car speaker system is worth more than my car..]

Other than that, The cave exploration music is good, but needs to have looping taken into account. some if not all of it needs to be repeatable, without interruption.

The synthesizer that gives a constant hum, can it be looped very well? And if not, how difficult would it be to copy it's settings to a software synthesizer? is everything mapped out, or does it come from a keyboard?

The reason i ask, is that if it needs to be playing constantly and it can't be looped, we'll have to have the game produce the sound itself and have it overlay the rest of the track (the various kicks and the voice etc.)

Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:48 pm

hongchong7 wrote:

There will be plenty of action on stage for players to make their own soundtrack to. It's also really dark, almost too dark.

Wait, what?
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Bashinerox wrote:
Rpthehotrod:

The bit-rate is horrible. Please encode to at least 240kb/s if not 320kb/s for the love of god.. [Yes I'm an Audiophile. My car speaker system is worth more than my car..]

Other than that, The cave exploration music is good, but needs to have looping taken into account. some if not all of it needs to be repeatable, without interruption.

The synthesizer that gives a constant hum, can it be looped very well? And if not, how difficult would it be to copy it's settings to a software synthesizer? is everything mapped out, or does it come from a keyboard?

The reason i ask, is that if it needs to be playing constantly and it can't be looped, we'll have to have the game produce the sound itself and have it overlay the rest of the track (the various kicks and the voice etc.)

I'll take a look at the settings I have the synth set to.

Also...I'm deathly afraid to click that spoiler of yours...
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 pm

RpTheHotrod wrote:

Also...I'm deathly afraid to click that spoiler of yours...

Muahahaha :3
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Bash, is this any better for bit? If not, I'll tweak it further.

http://www.filedropper.com/test10b

btw...that hum in the background I have looping every few seconds, btw. I'll look into the settings though.
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 12:16 am

Bashinerox wrote:
I personally like the main theme music from Hongchong. However, i do have my criticisms

I think the song should be shifted a couple bars forward from about 0:7. The piano comes in waaay to early. And leaves too quickly at that.

and stretch out the percussion section that starts at about 1:08 and ends at 1:38.

A menu song should give the user enough time to browse through every menu item without the song restarting.

A great way to do this, actually, is to have an intro, (such as the first 1:08 of the song greatly shortened) and then cutting the song from there into a separate section that can be looped (say 1:08 to 2:20 slightly rearranged)

And then leave the full version of the song for the actual opening Sequences after you click new game.

This also has the great effect of the player going "Oh snap, It's not just the main menu music replayed, its got extra bits on it!"

also i don't like the string note at 2:19.5. I think the piano solo should remain clean

Hey Bash, thanks for your feedback.

If you want to make the music dynamic like you're saying (ex. Clicking New Game will trigger more instruments to come in), what do I need to do to make that happen? Do I need to make separate sound files, or do I need to make one really long one with extensions of each section? Let me know when you have a chance. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 2:53 am

hongchong7 wrote:
Bashinerox wrote:

Hey Bash, thanks for your feedback.

If you want to make the music dynamic like you're saying (ex. Clicking New Game will trigger more instruments to come in), what do I need to do to make that happen? Do I need to make separate sound files, or do I need to make one really long one with extensions of each section? Let me know when you have a chance. Thanks!

That would be cool, yes, but what i actually meant was:

in the main menu you have an intro, and then a looping section

[---intro---][---loop---]

with the intro being one sound file and "loop" looped forever, i suggested maybe 1:08 to 2:20, but maybe rearranged with sections cut or made longer to accommodate the fact that it is looping.

however when you click new game and the cinematic introduction begins, the song restarts, but not in "loop mode", essentially playing the full song.

[---intro---][---what was looped in the main menu, but played only once---][---remainder of song---]

which would essentially be the equivalent of what you have now.

If we wanted to make dynamic music, it would be separate time-aligned sounds
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

Yeah, who made that?
Quote :
MAIN THEME OF THRIVE
Youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzORDb5U5Bc

The main menu picture is one I created. I compose with an image in mind. The theme's image was the planet and sun image on the background of the forum. It's also what I imagined to be the main menu music, and or cinematic trailer music if we decide to create one. The theme has been extended and has a faster variation to it.
I really like the variations, except for the drumbeat in the middle.
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 12:24 am

Hey all!

I know I disappeared off the face of the Earth for around 3 weeks. I have been hacking and slashing a new theme for Thrive. I have received mostly positive feedback from the community and Mod-DB on the theme, so with some minor changes and cuts, the melody, harmony, and instruments will stay the same. Until I get a full, "YES! THIS WILL BE OUR AWESOME THEME MUSIC!" Approach from all the Team Leaders, I will not create a score for final sampling that RP will engineer. RP has the top of the line production materials that I don't have, so to get the best quality of sound, it will be in RP's hands. I will ensure that the essence of the audio tracks are kept, and nothing will be taken out, i.e - Don't insult the composer :-D Not that I'm a vengeful spiteful angry bitter person.

I've created a 1:47 loop of the menu music as spoken of by Bashinerox. Here is a Mega Upload link to the tune.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4XVER10D

Go ahead and comment. I understand it is EXTREMELY rough, as I'm not really super happy with it, but I'm hitting a wall with it and trying to find the perfect balance and blend of sounds for the theme. As tiresome as this process is, I really am learning a lot about writing music for games and I do appreciate all the support and help of those on this forum. Enjoy it!

-Ben
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 11:33 am

I like your theme, ben, it gives me the ideas of solemnity and omnipotence!
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 1:43 pm

hongchong7 wrote:
Hey all!

I know I disappeared off the face of the Earth for around 3 weeks. I have been hacking and slashing a new theme for Thrive. I have received mostly positive feedback from the community and Mod-DB on the theme, so with some minor changes and cuts, the melody, harmony, and instruments will stay the same. Until I get a full, "YES! THIS WILL BE OUR AWESOME THEME MUSIC!" Approach from all the Team Leaders, I will not create a score for final sampling that RP will engineer. RP has the top of the line production materials that I don't have, so to get the best quality of sound, it will be in RP's hands. I will ensure that the essence of the audio tracks are kept, and nothing will be taken out, i.e - Don't insult the composer :-D Not that I'm a vengeful spiteful angry bitter person.

I've created a 1:47 loop of the menu music as spoken of by Bashinerox. Here is a Mega Upload link to the tune.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4XVER10D

Go ahead and comment. I understand it is EXTREMELY rough, as I'm not really super happy with it, but I'm hitting a wall with it and trying to find the perfect balance and blend of sounds for the theme. As tiresome as this process is, I really am learning a lot about writing music for games and I do appreciate all the support and help of those on this forum. Enjoy it!

-Ben

Ben, is there any chance you could upload to a site such as soundcloud? Megaupload has a limit of how many downloads a day. Sorry for the lack of activity on my part, as well. Christmas holidays and new years is a busy time for me, and also I'm learning/studying this new material. There's so much o-o.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Music Team
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next