Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Art Team: We Need You! Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Art Team: We Need You!

Go down 
+22
ThreeCubed
Ymedron
Immortal_Dragon
AwesomeSiebren
Raptorstorm
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
tjblazer85
Tré Wisemen
Tritium
hypoxanthine
Narnobie123
Doggit
untrustedlife
Daniferrito
WilliamstheJohn
Theusfilipe
Nimbal
~sciocont
WJacobC
Thriving Cheese
RodGame
NickTheNick
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Art Team: We Need You! Empty
PostSubject: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Art Assets Needed For Thrive

Models

Textures

Sprites

-----
As you probably know, we are getting closer and closer to completing a stable and playable release of the Microbe stage. We already have several prototypes out, and most of the concept ironed out. Basically all the themes have also been finished for it. That leaves us with art. Art assets are extremely important, and unless you want to punish your eyes, it helps a lot to have beautiful backgrounds and models to look at while you play. Lots of work has already been done on this thread.

However, I have trouble managing so many things with my time with Thrive. Managing the art team and art assets is a lot to add onto that. I am looking for someone, or someones, who are ready and able to take positions in the Art team to supplant my role. Good work in such a role will without a doubt earn you a promotion to Art Team lead. Likewise, I'm also looking for artists in general. If you wish to contribute to Art, but you don't want to take a management role, also post here, and you will be added to the list of artists. My goal is to get a decent list of Art Leads and Artists.

The current work for the Art Team can be found in the link above. Every model, sprite, and background we get done will be used for the future updates of the prototypes and releases. Concept art is also important, as it gives developers an idea of what things need to look like for later in the development.

Thats all for now. Remember, if you want to help manage the Art assets, post here. If you want to simply contribute to the Art assets, post here. These two combined will make programming the Microbe stage a whole lot easier, as guaranteed by RodGame.

tl;dr  Art assets are important, so post here if you want to help manage or create them.
-----

Last edited by NickTheNick on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:46 pm

I second the need for someone responsible of art assets. There are many artist who posted on the forum, here is a good way for you to get involved even more in the Thrive project. We should have steady release going on soon enough when the basic framework and build system will be completed. We will then need to have quick and easy access to all asset, in the required format.

Here is a list of what I would see such a person/s do.
- List of all required asset with specific information. It should also specify whether we want it as a sprite or a 3D model. I think this is specific point is confusing for many person at the moment.
- List of all asset done, group together on mediafire/dropbox/whatever suit you the best.
- Small follow-up with the artist to make sure that we have the asset in hand. Sometime, people post on the forum a screenshot without giving the final version of the asset which isn't really helping.
- Give new task to whoever ask for it.

Don't see this list as scary, I'm just listing thing that should be taken care of. As long as you keep working toward the goal of having a better art asset structure, we'll be happy! If many person are interested, this can definitely be done in team. I'll make sure to help listing the required assets as I'm getting a better idea of what will be needed in the microbe stage.

So who's willing to take more responsibility in this wonderful project ??
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 2:22 am

I think I could maybe do it (I can always try)
just needs to find all the lists of stuff
EDIT:
3D Artists: Remember to not just send picture/movies of your models, but to send the models themselves! I recommend you post screenshots of what you create so that people who don't want to download them or don't have blender can see them.
Tris amount for 3d organells:
3d formats that I can read/open are:

I will turn the text green when it's done and orange when it's almost done(if it for example is modeled but needs texturing)/is being worked on, the Dark red ones ain't done(atleast I haven't got them yet)
2d Sprites to do:
3d models to do:
It's also appreciated if you make backgrounds that are seamless/tileable and some nice GUI for the microbe phase.

I will put them in a winrar file below (if that's OK for everyone) so that you won't have to download all of them separatly:
Get it here

2D Artist List:
Sciocont
Thriving Cheese
Tjblazer85
JSpinoraptor

Tasks:
Microbe Stage Backgrounds (seamless/tileable) ?%
2D Sprites 100%
GUI (for the microbe phase) ~80%?

Model Artist List:
Thriving Cheese
Tjblazer85
Raptorstorm
JackOfSpades
Theusfilipe

Tasks: 
3d organells 8/9
Microbe 3D Models 100%
starting microbes 100%

Last edited by Thriving Cheese on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:28 am; edited 52 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Great work Thriving Cheese! You are doing a very good job so far.

Remember to try and get multiple models of the same type with different variations, such as multiple platers, multiple heat-eaters, etc. I guess thats not so important now. Maybe later, once we have one of all the models, you can set them all to blue again to get more.

I think you should make it green only if there are several models of that kind finished. For example, once you have 2-3 eaters, then turn it green. When there is still 1, or 1 and another one being worked on, make it orange.

Were you able to get all the current assets from my Mediafire link?
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:59 pm

A few notes:
For the website a few art resources are needed. I hope this won't distract from Microbe stage production, but I think it wont be too hard.
1.) A square version of the current Revolutionary Games logo with just the shards and "RG".
2.) To be updated.

Can't wait to see what the artists come up with!

@Thriving Cheese, right on ya for stepping up to the challenge!
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 pm

I'll provide any shattered assets.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:39 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Great work Thriving Cheese! You are doing a very good job so far.

Remember to try and get multiple models of the same type with different variations, such as multiple platers, multiple heat-eaters, etc. I guess thats not so important now. Maybe later, once we have one of all the models, you can set them all to blue again to get more.

I think you should make it green only if there are several models of that kind finished. For example, once you have 2-3 eaters, then turn it green. When there is still 1, or 1 and another one being worked on, make it orange.

Were you able to get all the current assets from my Mediafire link?
thanks!

ok.

fixed.

most of 3d models I found, there were only pictures or movies of them, and no 3d model formats provided
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 3:10 am

Nice work, Thriving Cheese, I'm glad to see someone taking care of this. Now we just need artist to work on them To any artist reading this, you can begin to work on any asset that hasn't been done. Please say it on the thread so we know it's being worked on. You can also ask what is needed and we(should be Thriving Cheese) will give you something to work on.

Now some question :

I always had in mind that microbe stage would be in 2D. Shouldn't all of this be sprite instead of 3D models ?

Also, on the Sprite To Do list,
- Why is cilia a sprite if all other organelle are 3D ?
- bacteria on the film layer are only for polishing ? I mean they are cell that we can't interact with but give a nice look to the game ?
- From what I understand, free-living bacteria are the list of 17 models that is detailed in 3D. What is the difference between those and what exactly would be free-living bacteria if there is a difference ?

When you turn the text green. It means you had 3 version of the same asset done? I think it's a good idea to iterate if we can afford it. However, I think priority should be given to having all asset available. After we have all asset in hand, we can polish them to make them look better.

After rereading post, I'm not sure if you mean 3 different model to pick the best one, or 3 different model to give variety in-game. Please explain it to me.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:19 am

@RodGame:
I thought that the gameply would be in 2d and that the graphics hopefully would be 3d, but I'm not totally sure.

Maybe it doesn't needs to be in 3d?(I'm not sure, it took it from a list that Sciocont had made, he probably knows...)

you're probably right. but think as orange means it's done then.

For variety in game (I think)
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 7:18 am

Sprites are quicker to render than 3D models, so we should go with sprites where it doesn't detract from the visual quality. However, if we want to animate it, or it should collide with other things, a 3D model is probably preferrable.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 8:04 am

@RodGame:
OK, I've updated so that green means that it's done, and red that there's already 2-3 versions and that you really not should do one of them.

@Nimbal(and the rest who reads this thread):
Should I change most of the organells that's on the 3d list to the 2d list?

EDIT: just saw 3 cyan names online at the same time!haven't seen that before...

DOUBLE_EDIT:How many and what backgrounds does we need?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 am

RodGame wrote:

Now some question :

The idea id a top-down 3d stage.

Also, on the Sprite To Do list,
- Cilia are very small, and making them 3D would increase poly count a ton without adding graphical quality. I planned that all of the 2D components would just be billboards with the 2D image on them.
- Bacteria on the film layer are going to be a dynamic system eventually. In cell stage, their growth and behavior is going to mirror the growth and behavior of plants in multicellular stage. (Autotroph dist.)
- If you're talking about the original protocell list, that's no longer valid.

Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 12:00 pm

@Rod: I wanted 3 different types for variety.

@Thriving Cheese: I think the older colour scheme makes more sense. Like this.

Green means 3 models are complete
Yellow means close to 3 models are complete
Orange means work has just started on them
Red means no work has yet been done

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but can you take the Emoticons out of your signature? It just makes for a lot of emoticons on the page when reading the thread, which gets distracting. They do also slow down the loading time of opening threads.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 12:17 pm

@NicktheNick: Fixed.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 7:08 pm

I have made 1 chloroplasts, 1 flagellum, 1 predatory Pilus (although I think I should work on it more), 2 mitochondria.

Some of my old cells are out there, I'll try to find their 3d formats. They were 1 plater, 1 cooker, 1 shiner... I don't remember anymore.

I'm trying to make the lamellipodes but I'm having a hard time. Conjugal Nuclei is a normal nucleus? Like human ones?
How are thermoplasts?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Based off of a google search, lamellipodia look like bony, tail-like structures.

Conjugal just means paired, so I would assume it just means a pair of nuclei. The best image I could find is this.

On thermoplasts, read this page of the Misc. thread.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 2:29 am

Here's a shiner I just made
Spoiler:
NOTE: I used a point light to make the cyan ball glow
EDIT: It's in the winrar file now.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 10:12 am

Looks great, cheese.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 am

~sciocont wrote:
Looks great, cheese.
Thanks Sciocont
and BTW, here's a Eater(The round orange ones):
Spoiler:
(It's in the "ThriveArt" file)
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Thriving Cheese wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Looks great, cheese.
Thanks Sciocont
Spoiler:

Great!
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 3:57 pm

WilliamstheJohn wrote:
Thriving Cheese wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Looks great, cheese.
Thanks Sciocont
Spoiler:

Great!
thanks
I'm wondering if I should make a shape key or armature animation so that the 2 things coming out of the orange ball will be able to move like theiy're eating when the Eater eats?
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Hello Thrivers I'm here to give some models I am satisfied with. I don't like my old models very much ( except the defender) so here are some models that I like (except the predatory pilus which I think lacks something)

Hope you guys like it.Done.rar
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Could you host it off of a site that doesn't require registration? I would suggest Mediafire or Rapidshare.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Done.rar

Mediafire link.

Hope you like it.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:01 am

Great work. I can't access it, since I don't have studio 3ds max, but that's no problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Art Team: We Need You!   Art Team: We Need You! Empty

Back to top Go down

Art Team: We Need You!
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next