Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Music Team - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Music Team

Go down 
+21
pcerda
Protocol Interference
penumbra espinosa
tklarenb
Dr_Chillgood
Vegemyte
ido66667
BastianKraft
Mysterious_Calligrapher
WTFBerserk!
Bob Blackmon
andry796
Bashinerox
Tenebrarum
The Uteen
ThatGuy
Albalrogue
caekdaemon
~sciocont
hongchong7
RpTheHotrod
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Music Team - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 4:24 pm

So, theme music.

Again, it's getting better, but there's still alot you can do.

In the piano bit, try having the notes rise rather than fall as a variation.

Again, the variations are great, and this is coming right along, but be careful. We need to tread the line between interesting and catchy. It is losing a bit of the catchiness.

I'd suggest trying to to the same piece, exactly identical, but mix up the insturments. Use a few really weird things, saxaphone, digeridoo(sp?), crumhorn, whatever. Just things you wouldn't expect to hear in a peice like this. Weird stuff like that can really give a different perspective.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 8:52 pm

The theme sounds really good right now ben but its missing something.
Tenebrarum's right about adding instruments but we don't need any more distinctive melodies. I think if we add a lower slightly unheard section we could have a solid piece.
And perhaps a little percussion.
Just a little.
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 8:18 pm

Hey Guys!

Some users asked for different menu music that is NOT the theme. Bashi replied to my post about the theme and how we may use it as menu music.

Quote :
Bashinerox wrote:

That would be cool, yes, but what i actually meant was:

in the main menu you have an intro, and then a looping section

[---intro---][---loop---]

with the intro being one sound file and "loop" looped forever, i suggested maybe 1:08 to 2:20, but maybe rearranged with sections cut or made longer to accommodate the fact that it is looping.

however when you click new game and the cinematic introduction begins, the song restarts, but not in "loop mode", essentially playing the full song.

[---intro---][---what was looped in the main menu, but played only once---][---remainder of song---]

which would essentially be the equivalent of what you have now.

This here will most likely the formula that I will use if we decide to use the theme as menu music.

What I need to know is if we want a reduction of the theme as menu music. Please post your opinions here.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 am

I think the theme would be great as menu music. If we use one piece as the theme and menu, they are going to remember it. The current theme is good and memorable, I say we use that.

Editors can be a different tune, but the menu is the one players hear every time they start the game, and so is the one that will be remembered.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Anyone given any thought to music played by your organisms in the society stages?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Anyone given any thought to music played by your organisms in the society stages?
We've discussed this. It would be pre-recorded tracks.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Would there be any way to make the music relevant to the current age? For example, in a medieval equivalent, medieval-sounding tracks can play.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:18 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Yes. I mean, thought on actually making a few for experimentation. Also, how will we animate singing/playing insturments so that it fits with the music?

The Uteen wrote:
Would there be any way to make the music relevant to the current age? For example, in a medieval equivalent, medieval-sounding tracks can play.
I vote that we catagorize music into certain styles, multiple versions with different insturments being used to play the songs, so that styles can rise and fall as arbitrary mechanics regardless of technology.
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Yes. I mean, thought on actually making a few for experimentation. Also, how will we animate singing/playing insturments so that it fits with the music?

The Uteen wrote:
I vote that we catagorize music into certain styles, multiple versions with different insturments being used to play the songs, so that styles can rise and fall as arbitrary mechanics regardless of technology.

I agree with Uteen and Tenebrarum on a few factors.

1. The music played by organisms will be pre-recorded tracks. Already discussed.
2. I agree that the music played by organisms should reflect the time period each races is in. For example -

If we have a race which has a tribal theme to it, I can write using djembes, congas, talking drums, african gourd marimba, ect. (African and tribal hand instruments in particular.

If we have a race in a Medieval English/Anglo-Saxon era - I can create medieval chant, historically correct to mankind's evolution of music. Now this would NOT be the type of music you'd hear in medieval video games. In fact, I would strongly go AGAINST that. That music implies more of a fantasy feel. The goal of Thrive is simplicity, science, and playability. Science does not equal fantasy. Therefore, the medieval music would most likely be Gregorian Chant, motet, simple instrumentation such as tambourine, viol de gamba, viol, baroque flute, ect.

If we have a race more sophisticated or bordering on Renaissance-era stuff, we can incorporate renaissance music to Baroque music. Examples to listen for would be Palastrina, Dufay, and Tallis, all the way to the Baroque era which would be J.S Bach, Handel, Telemann, ect. As the society evolves, we can go into the Galant Era (There IS NO CLASSICAL ERA!) This would be Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart.

Then the race can progress into Romantic, Post Romantic, Blues (WWII), Rock and Roll (Post-WWII), and so on to today's electronic music. I'm skipping a big section after Post-Romantic because that's when atonal music and the 12 tone system came up into play, and I don't think our audience wouldn't want their creatures to play something without a tonal center, rhythm, or ect. Plus that stuff really went under the radar and the only people that would catch it would be music majors like myself, and musicologists.

To all those musicologists and music majors playing Thrive, too bad.

In end, since someone said the theme music should be the menu music, I'm going to do exactly that.

I'm noticing a trend, and it's bothering me.

-Please stay on topic
-Please read the posts beforehand
-I NEED the feedback of the rest of the team to continue my work. If we keep getting off topic, I don't think I'm ever going to finish the soundtrack. So PLEASE Stay on topic and give me concise and direct feedback on the questions I ask of the community.

Ben
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:52 pm

hongchong7 wrote:
Hey Guys!

Some users asked for different menu music that is NOT the theme. Bashi replied to my post about the theme and how we may use it as menu music.

Quote :
Bashinerox wrote:

That would be cool, yes, but what i actually meant was:

in the main menu you have an intro, and then a looping section

[---intro---][---loop---]

with the intro being one sound file and "loop" looped forever, i suggested maybe 1:08 to 2:20, but maybe rearranged with sections cut or made longer to accommodate the fact that it is looping.

however when you click new game and the cinematic introduction begins, the song restarts, but not in "loop mode", essentially playing the full song.

[---intro---][---what was looped in the main menu, but played only once---][---remainder of song---]

which would essentially be the equivalent of what you have now.

This here will most likely the formula that I will use if we decide to use the theme as menu music.

What I need to know is if we want a reduction of the theme as menu music. Please post your opinions here.
I would say yes to a reduction for menu music (at least as the loop, the intro could probably be full theme).
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks Ben, however, I want to add something here: Styles are not a linear developement, and will likely not simply evolve as ours did. There are a few basic components that we can use to dictate the changes, but otherwise changes should occur fairly randomly, not bound to a predictable pattern.

Now, the two largest factors in music are goals of the music and available insturments.

Goals of the music can be Participatory Entertainment, Spectative Entertainment, or Ceremonial.

Participatory Entertainment is more widely popular before mass media (Specifically Radio) and will generally have a simple tune, usually vocal to prevent the unskilled from being excluded, (Though this may vary from culture to culture, my Caelumnen for example see lack of insturmental skills as the exception, not the rule.) and may rely on simple structures like call and response. Look to Folk Songs, Drinking Songs, and the like for examples.

Spectative Entertainment will generally only occur amung the wealthy, or as wandering performers otherwise. After mass media is adopted however, they should become the most common form of entertainment. This is standard. More impressive than Participatory. Most fluid in style. Most styles will spawn here.

Ceremonial is, in my opinion, the most interesting. Depending on the point of the ceremony these can vary wildly, but for our purposes let's say that ceremony is refering to political/religious ceremony where part of the goal is to have no deviations whatsoever. Before written music, this means that it will likely be multipart, and while the parts themselves would be very simple, together they can make a sound as complex as you like.

Now, on to insturments. Early music tends to be very percussion-heavy, as most insturments fall under that catagory early on. Percussion insturments are the easiest to make and therefor almost exclusively the first invented. This music has heavy beats and, amung the more flexable races, very easy to perform simplistic dance to.

As insturments able to produce tunes are invented, music becomes very melodic. This is where distinct styles really start popping up. Vocal music becomes more important here as well.

When one begins hitting synthesizers, electric insturments, and computer-generated sounds and editing, music ceases to be about melody as much as it is about making full use of the available technology. More creative players might use these technologies to create fun but unnessecary insturments, creating certain sounds electronically but requiring operation similer to regular insturments. These can be very fun to watch. Look up Animusic on YouTube (Especially "Starship Groove") and you should get a sense of the visual performance value of this.

Now, don't forget that we're talking about styles of music. They'll pop up anywhere and anywhen. Ceremonial encompases not only Gregorian but many styles present in First Nations(Native Americans, Aboriginals, Bushmen, etc.). Think about how easily the styles of The Beatles could have fit into court ballads in 1325. Think about Traditional Slavic + Techno. Think about Banghra Rock. The evolution of music is so complicated that we cannot begin to hope to replicate it, and randomness, to an extent, gives a semblance of realism.

Also, I suggest making the songs several times, with different sets of insturments, to help make easy the spawning regardless of tech.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 12:31 pm

longpost is correct
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 1:13 pm

Very good point. That's something to keep in mind.

Lots of music to write... Sweeeet...

Also, this Music Team Thread is getting really freakin' long, so I'm gonna probably start a few new threads when the time arrives. This is starting to get kinda unorganized.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Good idea.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 10:19 pm

So, I finally figured out what it was about the theme music that bothers me so much: If you remove all parts but the central melody, it's not singable enough; it doesn't sound like a good song all on it's own.
Back to top Go down
Bob Blackmon
Newcomer
Bob Blackmon

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 7:59 pm

I've got an ambient loop for the cell stage ready. It's already made, I just have to record it.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Bob Blackmon wrote:
I've got an ambient loop for the cell stage ready. It's already made, I just have to record it.
I'm excited to hear it.
Back to top Go down
WTFBerserk!
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Yeah I'm working on something that might fit both the Cell and Space stages. I'll upload it to my soundcloud. However, I think I'm going to make a Thrive soundcloud, which I hope might become the official space for our music aside from the Indie/ModDB.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm

WTFBerserk! wrote:
Yeah I'm working on something that might fit both the Cell and Space stages. I'll upload it to my soundcloud. However, I think I'm going to make a Thrive soundcloud, which I hope might become the official space for our music aside from the Indie/ModDB.
I already made one.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Then by all means, share it once more. We'll have to point the new musicians to that next...
Back to top Go down
BastianKraft
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Me like, that is all.
Back to top Go down
Bob Blackmon
Newcomer
Bob Blackmon

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Cell stage loop

The first one is the base recording if someone wants to edit it themselves.
The second one is my edit using a freeware editor. It's meh, I guess.

If you guys think this sounds good then I can record it under better conditions another time.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 11:13 am

Bob Blackmon wrote:
Cell stage loop

If you guys think this sounds good then I can record it under better conditions another time.

I love it.
It's Awsome dude
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 8:48 pm

ido66667 wrote:
Bob Blackmon wrote:
Cell stage loop

I love it.
It's Awsome dude
It's pretty good, but really, It doesn't sound very ambient.
Back to top Go down
Bob Blackmon
Newcomer
Bob Blackmon

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 am

Quote :
It's pretty good, but really, it doesn't sound very ambient.

Well you could add a few ambient noises to it like quiet chimes or the occasional water noise. As well as removing the slow strum at the end to make it loop better. Blend it with other tracks or make it quieter. Something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Music Team - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Music Team
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Sound-
Jump to: