Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena

Go down 
+8
Commander Keen
Poisson
Mysterious_Calligrapher
R136a1
Tenebrarum
~sciocont
The Uteen
Dudeman
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
No, I mean planets that are actually creatures the size of planets. Big enough to have their own atmosphere.
I don't see how a living creature could actually get that big and still transfer nutrients. It also would need to feed on something.
Yeah that's a definite no.
On another note, i've discovered yet anpother type of binary orbital. It looks like an 8 inscribed in a circle, but moves like a yin-yang being drawn from only one line. it's really just an 8 orbital with higher speed.
I also just realized something- if we implement quaternary systems, that means we would ahve 3D orbits as a possibility. I say we don't implement it. actually, depending on the orientation and rotation of stars, a trinary system could have 3D orbits too.
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 6:55 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
No, I mean planets that are actually creatures the size of planets. Big enough to have their own atmosphere.
I don't see how a living creature could actually get that big and still transfer nutrients. It also would need to feed on something.
On another note, i've discovered yet anpother type of binary orbital. It looks like an 8 inscribed in a circle, but moves like a yin-yang being drawn from only one line. it's really just an 8 orbital with higher speed.
I also just realized something- if we implement quaternary systems, that means we would ahve 3D orbits as a possibility. I say we don't implement it. actually, depending on the orientation and rotation of stars, a trinary system could have 3D orbits too.

Okay, just wondering.

That's cool. Adding it immediately.
I don't get the 8 one though.

I was wondering, if we have Binary Terrestrial Planets, is it also possible that we can have Binary Gas Giants? Basically their gravities would be pulling gas from each other and there would be a large bar of gas connecting them. I got the idea from a book.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 1:11 am

Dudeman wrote:
*flashes back to Cecil_90's "Welcome to Vitron" adventure* Nah, like Scio said, it would still need food, air, a method of waster removal, etc.
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 3:26 pm

What about floating land masses? Possible?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Dudeman wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Dudeman wrote:

Okay, just wondering.

That's cool. Adding it immediately.
I don't get the 8 one though.

I was wondering, if we have Binary Terrestrial Planets, is it also possible that we can have Binary Gas Giants? Basically their gravities would be pulling gas from each other and there would be a large bar of gas connecting them. I got the idea from a book.

Cool idea, I'd like to see that.

I don't really get that orbit either... Yin-yang figure of eight?
And we should include 3D orbits... But maybe just as a patch. They would look really cool to observe.
You do mean orbits that depend on the third dimension, rather than not on the system's pane? Even Spore did orbits tilted from the pane, we've got to do that.

And I think we decided life in space is impossible, so that whole type of life is a no go... Except with god tools, of course. They should be able to make organisms immortal, so... Maybe even organic stars!
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am

Dudeman wrote:
Floating as in boats, or flaoting as in Pandora?
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Poisson wrote:
Dudeman wrote:

I originally meant...

Poisson wrote:
flaoting as in Pandora.

That would have to happen only under very extreme circumstances, though. Some sort of magnetic rock in the floating land masses would be pushing away from the same magnetic force on the ground below it (Both would be only negative or both would be only positive). The planet/moon's gravity would pull it back at the same time, so the mass wouldn't just fly off into space. It would have to be kept in a perfect balance, as any slight push on the rock would send it spinning.

Very extreme circumstances, you see.

But it's been used a lot in concept art...

This idea of...

Poisson wrote:
Floating as in boats

... Would be great too. It's a lot more simple. The rock simply has to be less dense than the liquid on the planet.

Or it could just be an pole.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Dudeman wrote:
Poisson wrote:
Dudeman wrote:

I originally meant...

Poisson wrote:
flaoting as in Pandora.

No.

This idea of...

Poisson wrote:
Floating as in boats

Yes.

A floating mass on a liquid (or anything with a specific gravity higher than 1) would work. Matter with lower specific gravity (like air) just won't hold things up, and that sort of magnetism is basically unthinkable.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 pm

While Floating landmass is a no-no, any info on the limits of steepness and height of landforms? I know that on Earth we can't get much taller than Everest by natural means, but what about a planet with lower gravity?

And yes, I am thinking of that one passage from C. S. Lewis's Space trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Dudeman wrote:
Poisson wrote:
Dudeman wrote:

I originally meant...

Poisson wrote:
flaoting as in Pandora.

Not possible unless we are doing alternate biochemistries, which are not curently planned. Iron in blood would be blasted out of the body, killing the organism. Then again, some invertibrates use copper.... But the amount of magnetism required is unthinkable even accounting for that.

This idea of...

Poisson wrote:
Floating as in boats

... Would be great too. It's a lot more simple. The rock simply has to be less dense than the liquid on the planet.

Or it could just be an pole.
Back to top Go down
R136a1
Newcomer
R136a1

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm

I feel like I should say something about all the weird orbits around binary stars (figure 8 and such)...

Put quite simply, they're so rare that they're negligible. When planets form, they form in a circumstellar disk around the star. I can't think of any circumstances where a circumstellar disk would naturally form in a figure 8 shape - First, the individual gravities of the stars would pull most of the nebula that they formed in into a disk either around each individual star or around the pair of stars if they're close enough to each other, and second, even if a figure-8 or similar shape did form, the collisions where the particles cross and the gravity of the larger resulting particles would throw most of the matter either into the stars, away from the stars, or into more stable elliptical orbits. It'd take an extremely rare set of circumstances to result in a planet orbiting in a figure 8 or similar orbit, and it'd have to be only one planet - if two or more planets orbit in the star system, even if only one is in the figure 8, the chances of gravitational interaction would be excessively high, rendering the orbits even more unstable than they already are.

Also, don't forget that binary stars orbit each other, they don't just sit still in space. The figure 8 would have to spin around its center point in order for the planet to not run into one of the stars or be ejected into space (Unless the orbital period of the planet in the figure 8 exactly matched a multiple of 1/2 the orbital period of the stars, but again, this would be very rare). If this kind of thing is included, I think it should be incredibly, incredibly rare (as in, maybe 1 planet in the entire galaxy orbits this way) or created by God Tools.

Wow, I just realized how much I typed. Sorry about that
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Trust me, that's nowhere near the longest post here.

If it's that rare I think they should just be left as a thing to play with in god mode.
Back to top Go down
R136a1
Newcomer
R136a1

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Poisson wrote:
I meant more the big blocks of text than the length of the post, but okay.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 9:30 pm

R136a1 wrote:
Poisson wrote:
Also not the worst.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 2:18 pm

R136a1 wrote:
Poisson wrote:
Long paragraphs isn't a bad thing, if there's nowhere to separate the text, then it's not possible to make them shorter anyway.

And good point. They are orbiting, and lots of the orbits wouldn't be as stable, or as easy to get, accounting for the orbit. Although, all movement is relative - you can just as easily think that the stars aren't orbiting at all, the universe is just rotating around it. So maybe the stars' orbit isn't actually affecting the planet's orbit. But the formation of the planet is a very good point, not very likely, unless the stars formed systems, suddenly got close, lost speed, and became binary, which isn't going to happen. Some-one, please take my copy of Spore a very, very long way away and burn it, then throw the ashes into the sun, then burn that too.

So maybe this would just be a Sandbox phenomenon?

(Sandbox phenomenon is ©The Uteen epic-phrase-creation corporation, not very many rights reserved)
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 pm

The Uteen wrote:
R136a1 wrote:
Poisson wrote:
Long paragraphs isn't a bad thing, if there's nowhere to separate the text, then it's not possible to make them shorter anyway.

And good point. They are orbiting, and lots of the orbits wouldn't be as stable, or as easy to get, accounting for the orbit. Although, all movement is relative - you can just as easily think that the stars aren't orbiting at all, the universe is just rotating around it. So maybe the stars' orbit isn't actually affecting the planet's orbit. But the formation of the planet is a very good point, not very likely, unless the stars formed systems, suddenly got close, lost speed, and became binary, which isn't going to happen. Some-one, please take my copy of Spore a very, very long way away and burn it, then throw the ashes into the sun, then burn that too.

So maybe this would just be a Sandbox phenomenon?

(Sandbox phenomenon is ©The Uteen epic-phrase-creation corporation, not very many rights reserved)

The orbits were designed by ~~sciocont, not me. So tell that to him.

So should I remove them, add '(Sandbox Only)', add '(Only Created by God Tools), add '(Few per Game)', or what?
Back to top Go down
R136a1
Newcomer
R136a1

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 5:54 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Although, all movement is relative - you can just as easily think that the stars aren't orbiting at all, the universe is just rotating around it. So maybe the stars' orbit isn't actually affecting the planet's orbit.
Yes, the orbiting binarys was a pretty weak argument. Not entirely sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I was probably half asleep at the time...

Dudeman wrote:

So should I remove them, add '(Sandbox Only)', add '(Only Created by God Tools), add '(Few per Game)', or what?
I was hoping he'd see this here. Besides, it was more directed to everyone in general.

I'd say either or both of the first two work.
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 3:48 pm

R136a1 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Although, all movement is relative - you can just as easily think that the stars aren't orbiting at all, the universe is just rotating around it. So maybe the stars' orbit isn't actually affecting the planet's orbit.
Yes, the orbiting binarys was a pretty weak argument. Not entirely sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I was probably half asleep at the time...

Dudeman wrote:

I was hoping he'd see this here. Besides, it was more directed to everyone in general.

Ok, I'll add them both to each then.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm

R136a1 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Dudeman wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out- it solves a ton of provblems, because now we will only need a few types of orbits.
Back to top Go down
R136a1
Newcomer
R136a1

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 7:47 pm

I also noticed that Resonances were included under the "stars" category. That's all well and good, but a note should be made that it'd be pretty rare. 3 bodies are required for resonance - one very large one for the resonating objects to orbit around and the 2 objects which are in resonance with each other. The only time I can think of a resonance happening with stars is if a large star (blue giant, supergiant or hypergiant) is orbited by two smaller stars (Red/Brown dwarfs) which aren't orbiting each other. A 3-star system in this sort of dynamic where the primary (biggest, most massive star) is too close to the sizes of the two secondaries, it'd be extremely unstable due to all sorts of weird orbital interactions between the 3 stars.

Also, I notice that Brown dwarf stars haven't been mentioned yet. Brown Dwarfs are basically "failed stars," too small to fuse hydrogen in their cores but large enough to fuse deuterium and protons into helium-3. They're predicted to have masses between 13 and 80 times the mass of Jupiter.
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm

R136a1 wrote:
I also noticed that Resonances were included under the "stars" category. That's all well and good, but a note should be made that it'd be pretty rare. 3 bodies are required for resonance - one very large one for the resonating objects to orbit around and the 2 objects which are in resonance with each other. The only time I can think of a resonance happening with stars is if a large star (blue giant, supergiant or hypergiant) is orbited by two smaller stars (Red/Brown dwarfs) which aren't orbiting each other. A 3-star system in this sort of dynamic where the primary (biggest, most massive star) is too close to the sizes of the two secondaries, it'd be extremely unstable due to all sorts of weird orbital interactions between the 3 stars.

Also, I notice that Brown dwarf stars haven't been mentioned yet. Brown Dwarfs are basically "failed stars," too small to fuse hydrogen in their cores but large enough to fuse deuterium and protons into helium-3. They're predicted to have masses between 13 and 80 times the mass of Jupiter.

Oh, I think that first one was an accident...

I never actually knew what brown dwarves were... Thanks for telling me.
Back to top Go down
R136a1
Newcomer
R136a1

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Dudeman wrote:
Alrighty, that's cool too

Dudeman wrote:
No problem
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 pm

R136a1 wrote:
Dudeman wrote:

Dudeman wrote:
No problem

Even though I said the first was an accident, it would actually be really cool. I'll add things like Co-orbital Suns around a Supergiant, and Supergiants with multiple satellites which are in fact other stars.

Or do you all think it's too unlikely?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Dudeman wrote:
R136a1 wrote:
Dudeman wrote:

Dudeman wrote:
No problem

Even though I said the first was an accident, it would actually be really cool. I'll add things like Co-orbital Suns around a Supergiant, and Supergiants with multiple satellites which are in fact other stars.

I would say that's quite unlikely- they'd probably just be sucked in by the gravity.
Back to top Go down
R136a1
Newcomer
R136a1

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
R136a1 wrote:
Dudeman wrote:

Dudeman wrote:
No problem

I would say that's quite unlikely- they'd probably just be sucked in by the gravity.
Not necessarily. If the smaller stars were orbiting the larger star, they'd probably stay that way for quite some time - The thing that'd get them would probably end up being the energy released when the bigger star went supernova.

Although, that does bring up another problem. The conditions under which Supergiants form are more partial to forming other supergiants than smaller stars. That's not to say it couldn't happen, it just wouldn't be common, especially multiple small stars orbiting one large star without orbiting each other as well. I could only really see this happening if the orbits of the smaller stars were relatively far apart.

Speaking of weird orbital dynamics, I found another type of stellar orbit which could be included, if it isn't too complicated. It's called a Trapezia, and it's a situation where multiple young stars, usually deep inside nebulas, compete for stable orbits. Eventually the system will settle down into a normal binary or trinary star system with any other components being ejected at high speeds into space.

A more detailed description of Trapezia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_star#Trapezia

The Trapezium Cluster in the Orion Nebula, which gave name to the phenomenon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezium_Cluster
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next