Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena

Go down 
+8
Commander Keen
Poisson
Mysterious_Calligrapher
R136a1
Tenebrarum
~sciocont
The Uteen
Dudeman
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Now I understand...

Thank you, Uteen.

So... Any new phenomena to suggest?
Back to top Go down
4017jman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:21 pm

Dudeman wrote:
I'm not a programmer or anything, but something in our solar system really compelled me to suggest this...

You see, two of Saturn's moons, Janus and Epimetheus, are Co-orbital. This means, as some people may know, that they travel around Saturn on almost exactly the same path. They are so close together that they would crash into each other. Instead, their gravity make them swap orbits. This happens every four years, when the moon closer to Saturn catches up with the other one. Their combined gravities pull them around in a circle and they switch. The one closer to Saturn becomes the one further away while the one further away becomes the one closer.

Now, if there were to be something like this in Thrive, it would be AWESOME. It's kind of like how in Spore, they had things for you to find in space, like proto-planetary disks, wormholes, and binary star systems. Just because Thrive will be the new Spore doesn't mean we have to start from scratch.

Basically, I'm suggesting that we put some natural phenomena into the game. Like co-orbital moons (Janus and Epimetheus). And tidal locks (The Moon). Double planets (Pluto and Charon). Things like that.

Here is a list of odd formations of everything we could add to the game:

Space Formations

Galaxies

-Spiral
-Barred
-Unbarred
-Elliptical Centered
-2 Armed
-3 Armed
-4 to 9 Armed
-10 Armed

-Elliptical

-Irregular

-Dwarf
-Spiral
-Elliptical
-Irregular

Stars

-Protostars

-Supergiants

-Binary

-Ternary

-Quaternary

-Black Dwarves

-Brown Dwarves

-Red Dwarves

-Neutron Stars
-Magnetars
-Pulsars
-Quazars (May be Neutron Stars, may not)

-Hypervelocity Stars

Terrestrial Planets and Moons

-Co-Orbital

-Tidally Locked

-Tidally Locked Binary (Always Facing Each Other)

-Binary

-Ternary?

-Quaternary?

-Planets with Odd Orbits
-Extreme Ellipses
-3D Orbits
-Tilted orbits

-Resonances

Gas Giants

-Binary
-The two would orbit the
sun and themselves,continually
pulling gas from each other, making
a bar of connecting gasses in the
middle. Also, this creates a center
of gravity in the middle, allowing
moons to orbit vertically.

-Co-orbital?

-Gas Giants with Odd Orbits
-Extreme Ellipses
-3D Orbits
-Tilted orbits

-Resonances

Other

-Black Holes

-Black Holes with Companion Stars

-Rogue Black Holes

-Supernovas

-Nebulas

-Proto-Planetary Disks

-Wormholes

-Dark Matter

-Biological Planetoids
-Made by God Tools, these are
gigantic creatures without much of
an ability to think, communicate,
or do just about anything other than
get rid of waste and breathe in their
own atmosphere. They also orbit
stars. Humongous insects that are
normally microscopic live on these.
Altogether Biological Planetoids are
smelly, ugly, stupid, and disgusting.
The ground is skin. But these can only
be made by use of God Tools, and
nothing else.

Surface Formations

Rocky Planets and Moons

-Arches

-Bridges

-Helixes

-Loop-De-Loopz

-Spires

-Unstable Rock Stacks

-Land Masses Floating on Liquid

-Fault-Block Mountain Ranges

-Faults
-Strike-Slip
-Normal
-Reverse

-Folding

-Folded Mountains

-Domed Mountains

-Volcanoes
-Composite or Stratovolcanoes
-Cinder Cone
-Shield
-Lava Plateaus
-Hot Spot

-Mid-Ocean Ridges

-Deep Ocean Trenches

-Mid-Land Ridge? (Mid-Ocean Ridge on Iceland)

-Geysers, Hot Springs, and Other Geothermal Phenomenons Caused by Hot Spots

Gas Giants

-Clouds

-Storms

Suns

-Sunspots

-Prominences

-Solar Flares

Finding the solar phenomena in the Space Stage could help your civilization research certain technologies. You could learn more about physics and then be able to build different physic-based technologies, like Anti-Gravity. Yes, you will already be able to get these, but finding these formations will allow you to research them quicker, or get to them faster. Instead of researching ten different technologies to achieve Anti-Gravity, you could research three (Is that how the research tree works? I'm too lazy to read it...).

Finding the surface formations in the Society or Industrial stages will allow your race to research Geology and Planet Science more quickly, especially if the home planet is (Which it most likely will be) tectonically active. Your race will make breakthroughs in these more quickly than if the home world had none or was tectonically inactive. Drills and similar things are examples of inventions that can be improved due to researching these formations.

Tell me what you think.
in my opinion there shouldnt be set "premade" phenomenons but ones that just happen because the game has some principles that can have varian effects on planet/star (or what ever) generation. so say a planet has a ver y strong gravitational pull another planet that may have gotten too close during an orbit would slowly get pulled towards it because of the gravity of the planet. Thats my opinion on the subject oh btw i had to remove some stuff from your post because im a new user
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 1:15 pm

The hexagon on the north pole of Saturn (I think), and giant storms like jupiter's red spot.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
No, I mean planets that are actually creatures the size of planets. Big enough to have their own atmosphere.
I don't see how a living creature could actually get that big and still transfer nutrients. It also would need to feed on something.
Transfer nutrients with veins like sewers, and eat other creature planets.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:45 am

~sciocont wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
No, I mean planets that are actually creatures the size of planets. Big enough to have their own atmosphere.
I don't see how a living creature could actually get that big and still transfer nutrients. It also would need to feed on something.
Yeah that's a definite no.
On another note, i've discovered yet anpother type of binary orbital. It looks like an 8 inscribed in a circle, but moves like a yin-yang being drawn from only one line. it's really just an 8 orbital with higher speed.
I also just realized something- if we implement quaternary systems, that means we would ahve 3D orbits as a possibility. I say we don't implement it. actually, depending on the orientation and rotation of stars, a trinary system could have 3D orbits too.
We NEED 3D orbits!
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 am

Poisson wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
*flashes back to Cecil_90's "Welcome to Vitron" adventure* Nah, like Scio said, it would still need food, air, a method of waster removal, etc.
It's food is other creature planets. It's water is oceans. It's waste is giant toxic asteroids.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 am

The Uteen wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
Yeah that's a definite no.
On another note, i've discovered yet anpother type of binary orbital. It looks like an 8 inscribed in a circle, but moves like a yin-yang being drawn from only one line. it's really just an 8 orbital with higher speed.
I also just realized something- if we implement quaternary systems, that means we would ahve 3D orbits as a possibility. I say we don't implement it. actually, depending on the orientation and rotation of stars, a trinary system could have 3D orbits too.

Okay, just wondering.

That's cool. Adding it immediately.
I don't get the 8 one though.

I was wondering, if we have Binary Terrestrial Planets, is it also possible that we can have Binary Gas Giants? Basically their gravities would be pulling gas from each other and there would be a large bar of gas connecting them. I got the idea from a book.
No, "Space Monster" showed us how it was possible for life in space.

Cool idea, I'd like to see that.

I don't really get that orbit either... Yin-yang figure of eight?
And we should include 3D orbits... But maybe just as a patch. They would look really cool to observe.
You do mean orbits that depend on the third dimension, rather than not on the system's pane? Even Spore did orbits tilted from the pane, we've got to do that.

And I think we decided life in space is impossible, so that whole type of life is a no go... Except with god tools, of course. They should be able to make organisms immortal, so... Maybe even organic stars!
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:49 am

~sciocont wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
Poisson wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
What about floating land masses? Possible?
Floating as in boats, or flaoting as in Pandora?

I originally meant...

Poisson wrote:
flaoting as in Pandora.

No.

This idea of...

Poisson wrote:
Floating as in boats

Yes.

A floating mass on a liquid (or anything with a specific gravity higher than 1) would work. Matter with lower specific gravity (like air) just won't hold things up, and that sort of magnetism is basically unthinkable.
Why? That magnetism happens all the time!
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 10:52 am

~sciocont wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
R136a1 wrote:
Dudeman wrote:
Oh, I think that first one was an accident...
Alrighty, that's cool too

Dudeman wrote:
I never actually knew what brown dwarves were... Thanks for telling me.
No problem

Even though I said the first was an accident, it would actually be really cool. I'll add things like Co-orbital Suns around a Supergiant, and Supergiants with multiple satellites which are in fact other stars.

Or do you all think it's too unlikely?
I would say that's quite unlikely- they'd probably just be sucked in by the gravity.
Unless they were far enough apart.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 am

~sciocont wrote:
We've concluded that time control would completely break the game earlier.
Why?
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:11 am

~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
We've concluded that time control would completely break the game earlier.

That was time control as jumping in time and reversing it's flow. Changing just the speed of the flow was much better I think.
It would still break the game if applied to only one region. Physics would break, because some actons simply couldn't happen.
Then make those actions impossible!
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:12 am

Intact physics is usually nice. And remember, people, if we can't do the math for the god tools, we can't have the god tools. (Also, never leave your code wires exposed to the casual investigator. They fry quite easily.)
Do the math!
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:14 am

The Uteen wrote:
Hang on, is this the physics of time flowing at different rates in different locations? Well, I'd like to point out this: there's no such thing, so no physics expert can help you. Time travels at the same speed everywhere. Only during acceleration and deceleration will an object change it rate of travel into the future. I read it in a book. But the same book also said objects moving closer to the speed of light have a slower rate of travel into the future, with no mention of acceleration. But it also said there is no absolute motion, which means the speed of light would always be relative to something. Could a physics expert explain which of this seemingly contradicting theories are true? I'm confused. And I do normally understand sciencey stuff.

This book is not complete rubbish, by the way. It was written by Brian Cox. It should be true. However confusing and contradictory.

But if we have time flowing at different rates at different places, then we'll have to make up our own physics. I know that.
Not neccesarily true. Time is relative.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:16 am

The Uteen wrote:
I think speeding up and slowing down time in an area would be possible to put in the game, because it isn't as complicated as real life, and laws can be broken. But stopping and reversing time in an area would be much, much harder, the latter near impossible, because you'd get tons of paradoxes from the start.
A paradox causes a separate universe.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:23 am

The Uteen wrote:
Don't worry if it goes over your head, Uteen. In my experience, Physics on that scale usually makes a rude noise as it sails overhead.

As far as time dialation... I dunno. I get the feeling, though, that it's so small that unless you are a quark or traveling at the speed of light, you're not going to notice it much. From what I know, it doesn't normally get more than a millisecond or so.

Of course, I could be wrong... and Raven, I'm not certain what the consensus was on black holes versus wormholes versus other random space phenomena that could be simulated, but I'm pretty sure the options were
1) feasible
2) you will be crushed like a bug.

I think wormholes would be just travelling in normal space. It's complicated, but I think I understand the idea, and it probably wouldn't be that easy, because a wormhole wouldn't be that obvious.

I'll give an analogy: Imagine a hill. That hill represents curved space. Now, an ant is very small. It can't tell the ground slopes. It has a job carrying leaves at the other side of the hill, and every day it has to get in its car and make the journey to work. It sets off in its car, but its car guzzles down petrol fast, so it has to stop off at the petrol station every day to refuel, which makes it late for work! But the ant is travelling on a road that goes in a straight line, from his home to work. He can't get there any quicker. One day, the ant installs a SAT NAV in its car. He follows the SAT NAV to work, which takes him a slightly different route, and somehow this other route gets him to work quicker, without the need to refuel! 'How is this possible?' he thinks. You see, the ant thought he was travelling in a straight line to work, he can't tell there's a hill. But when he followed the SAT NAV, it took him through a tunnel 'Worm's Holes Co.' burrowed to make travel quicker. This tunnel goes straight through the hill, not over it like the road did. The ant now saves a lot more money by refuelling less frequently, and got promoted to a job carrying small animals for being persistently on time! To this day the ant still doesn't understand how he can get to work quicker than normal. He thinks it's magic.

Credits
Ant----The Uteen
Ant's boss, who give him a promotion----ADMIN
A hill----Curved space
Worm's Holes Co.----'A rare phenomenon where curved space is warped enough to bend back round on itself forming something like a donut hole from a four-dimensional perspective meaning you can travel parallel to someone and end up somewhere else entirely relative to them' Co.
Founder of Worm's Holes Co.----Classified Information
SAT NAV----A matchbox with a parrot in it
Petrol Station----It's just a petrol station, moron doing the credits. It's not important. Chillax, man.

I hope you understand wormholes better now.
...And they are nothing to do with black holes. They are stars which have become so massive their gravity becomes stronger than the exclusion principle (the one that states two atoms cannot take up the same space) and so the whole thing just collapses into a single point containing the mass of the entire star. So they are a different thing entirely, and far more likely. The chances of a wormhole existing are near zero. So don't go hurling yourselves into black hole, it'd be like the worst pile-on ever.

And I believe it is around 75% the speed of light or more it makes a difference good enough to make you go "This isn't how I imagined it. I feel normal. It's them outside going fast, lucky averages.".
Wormholes may exist.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:24 am

Uteen wrote: Post that made my physics day

See, this is why we need someone to take astronomy or physics, rather than having all the knowlege of a thousand sci-fi movies.

The black hole option was always going to be "you will be crushed like a bug." the wormhole option was either "fire up the infinite improbability drive," or "you will be shredded."
I care not for the infinite improbability drive. It is possible.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:26 am

Dudeman wrote:
Now I understand...

Thank you, Uteen.

So... Any new phenomena to suggest?
What about dark energy?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4